“Amazing views and quiet”
Review of Residences El Faro

Residences El Faro
Cincinnati
“Amazing views and quiet”
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Lets start by saying that the views are amazing. The beach is beautiful and clean. The rooms are furnished well and meticulously cleaned everyday.

The unit we had surf 405 is a three bedroom three bathroom unit with a pull out couch. The first two rooms are great with views of the ocean and connected by a great balcony that we ate breakfast every morning. The third bedroom however is a bit of a dungeon, that faces the inner hallway with a glass block window to let in light during the day. This would be ok for a kids room but if traveling with 3 couples as we did it was an unfortunate surprise.

You will get a 3 page paper at check in that will require you to do an inventory of everything in the unit and check if anything is broken. A bit annoying but understandable. In doing this I noticed a few things that where broken, a lamp and one of the air conditioner units in the kitchen did not work. (by the way they only have one remote for all of the AC so if in the middle of the night you want to change the temp you would usually wake someone up trying to find the remote)

There are a few areas that could use some improvement. The sound system at the resturant affiliated with the hotel called Wickis could use a better sound system not to be louder but to not hear high pitched beeping every minute or so. Kinda interrupts the surf.

The kitchen layout was annoying how the fridge would roll out whenevery you would try to open it which would prevent the dishwasher from being opened. You could see the dents on the fridge where this was an issue before.

It would be great if there was better water pressure and more hot water too. For a three bedroom unit I would have expected a larger hot water heater.

There was a wedding the last night of our stay that was extremely loud. It would be nice if you could supply ear plugs for these occasions so other guests are able to sleep, everyone loves a wedding but I love my sleep more. It only went to 11 though but I am an early riser and wanted to go to bed early.

These are just a few things that we noticed during our stay that were inconvenient but didn't in any way ruin our trip. We had a great time and would return to the Encanto El Faro in the future

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Marstrom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Polish first
San Mateo, California
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Beautiful property and amazing location! We stayed in Reef #302 and booked through the owner,Terry on VRBO. The condo is even lovelier in person and everything we could possibly want was supplied - even a couple of coolers and plastic drinkware to tote our cocktails to the beach and save some pesos! Just steps away the oceanfront is free of any rocks, debris, or boats, and we spent many hours bobbing in the waves.

The jacuzzi tub was a soothing way to wrap up a day at Wicky's Beach Club (which is free to El Faro guests), and the comfy king bed kept us well rested and re-energized for nights out on Avenida Quinta. With the bedroom doors open at night we could hear the techno music from the nightclubs a block away, but not a sound once the door is closed.

Terry was a great host and very communicative- be sure to check out the wealth of information about the area and dining she has at the condo (we LOVED the pastor nachos at Carboncitas and the ceviche mixto at Fusion).

A wonderful vacation, we wouldn't hesitate to recommend this property to friends!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SunnySanMateo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed for a week in September in reef #403 with a roof top hot tub. The unit has two bedrooms and two full baths, full kitchen, living area and large entry hall. The master bedroom faces the pool with a sea view, has a black out shade and opens onto the balcony. There are three a/c units in the condo and all work very well ( I.e. My husband froze me out every night). Everything was very clean and well maintained. There were plenty of bath and beach towels left in our room every day. Wifi worked great for us. We really enjoyed the beautiful roof top view. The location makes it easy to get to anywhere via foot or cab. We also enjoyed the beach club who shares part of the ElFaro building. There are restrooms near the pool (i did not use but walked by) and in the basement (clean and air conditioned) under the lobby. All of the staff is friendly (will chat with you in spanish if you want to improve your spanish) and helpful (each of our request were met super fast and with a smile). Special thanks to Cesar for early check in and to Sylvia for her assistance with rental car (Fiesta - they deliver and pickup the car to/from El Faro at no additional charge) and outing arrangements. The booking with Tonya - Playa Beach Condos & Villass was quick and trouble free. Overall, everything was just perfect! See y'all next year!

Room Tip: Loved being on the 4th floor for the view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Catherine O
Atlanta
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We Stayed at the Encanto El Faro the second week of September, the rooms are wonderful. You have view of the ocean and they are really spacious. The hotel has underground parking if you have a vehicle. But entrance to the property is kind of difficult. Check in was wonderful and the lady at front desk was superb. She made sure our unit was ok; gave us a tour and was very attentive to all our needs and had a great attitude!. The pool is really nice as it has a direct view to the ocean. The only problem I would say is that the beach is local and a lot of people have access to the same beach the hotel is at. Quinta Avenida is just a block away and there are lots of dinning options and shopping a couple of minutes from the hotel. The A/C was ice cold in my room; the grill was great; there is a kitchen and laundry machines in your room. Would definetly come again. We stayed at a 2ble room; one of the rooms does not have a window. Grounds are kept neatly.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank esaldana
panam��, panama
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Best location in PDC; walking distance to 5 avenue restaurants and bars, excelent beach, pool ok, wickys excelent service, good food and drinks at the beach, outdoor massage is a must. Downside no room service, and second bedroom doesn¨t have windows, but the private balcony/terrace has the best view for afternoon cocktails and morning breakfast

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maridiaz26
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Our vacation were spoiled because the staff at reception double charged our rental on our credit card. Shame as otherwise Reef 102 was great. Playa del Carmen is a nice place.

Room Tip: Apt reef 102 is best in terms os views on beach and swimming pool while keeping privacy
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank bebe3107
Jurong, Singapore
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Let me start with this actually is a beautiful hotel. The apt is really gorgeous we had a view of the water and pool amazing. But like they say never judge a book by its cover. My husband and I were completely happy up until about 8 days into our 2 week stay.

First of all the staff is useless at best. You walk through the doors and they almost go out of their way to ignore you. Its nice to get a good morning or evening any sort of acknowledgement that hey your welcome here! It just makes it unpleasant which is very odd for Mexico since Mexicans tend to be extremely welcoming and friendly.
On our 3rd day and noticed the the door had been left open by the cleaning staff. No biggie nothing was missing was just ajar but we did think it was important to mention it to the front desk, what we got was a big umm duh okay with a blank look. Obviously it fell on deaf ears.
Now we reach day 8. I had been going to the gym while I was at there (no gym in hotel) so I removed a small gold necklace on Wed morning and left it on the table. By the time I got home my husband was hungry and ready to go so honestly I just didn't think about it and left it on the table. When we returned home from lunch and beach we got ready for the night and left. Didn't think about my necklace again till about 3 days later. We tore the apartment apart. Finally when we realized it wasn't there and was probrably missing we went down to the front desk. OMG As I'm explaining to the woman that the last time I saw the necklace was Wed the first thing out of her mouth was "what took you so long to report it then". I was stunned and snapped thats not important whats important is that its missing. So she says okay we will look into it. Okay fine we left for the day came back later NOTHING.

The next morning I'm enjoying a coffee 9am and there is knocking at the door, I decided not to answer it was early I wasn't ready but no that wasn't good enough they knocked until I finally answered. Opened the door to see the entire cleaning staff 6 people standing outside my door. Turns out they have 4 people enter your room everyday one does the floors, one the dishes, one the bathrooms and the last the beds. Now you tell me how on earth could you identify a single person when their or so many. They then announce to me no one had taken my necklace and they only remember my glasses being on the table on Wed. ALARM BELLS!!! Hello how do you remember whats on my table when there are 50 apts in this place and its almost fully booked! Went downstairs and asked front desk what was that all about and she just looked at me with that familiar blank mindless stare and said I don't understand what the problem is that's our procedure!

I felt like Daffy Duck when he looses his mind. Steam coming out of my ears bouncing on my head the whole nine.

Finally I emailed the booking agency and spoke with the only person that I had dealt with to date that had a brain and was actually helpful. Once she got involved the change was immediate. The staff became friendlier and I met with the manager. Then miraculously the necklace appeared! They say they found it on the floor in my room where it would have been impossible for me to miss but non the less my necklace was back and who cares.

Needless to say the cleaning service I received from then out was terrible. But oh well.

Today my husband checked his Amex charges and turns out there were 20,000USD worth of charges on it. He almost fell over in his chair. We used our Amex in 3 locations. El Faro where they took a carbon copy and left it in a file at the front desk, Mega and Walmart where it was an electronic machine with no possible way of printing a copy of the numbers. You can make your own judgment as to where the theft occurred. I will note that I lived in Playa del Carmen for almost 2 years and went to Walmart and Mega at least 3-4 times a week and used my card almost always with never never a problem.

There are other small issues like the lack of internet in the apt and only in the tiny reception area that gets sun beaming into it. The pool that got cleaned once in the two weeks we were there. The crappy beach club Whicky with electronic doors that never open and a bathroom so far from the beach and the pool its embarrassing. You literally have to walk through the restaurant and the reception area! No wonder the pool was so gross.

I could have overlooked everything but after the credit charges my husband and I have resolved never to return to this hotel again. If you do decide to go pay in cash don't let them carbon your card esp if its an Amex with no limit to charges and for goodness sakes put all of your belongings in the safe.

Room Tip: Make sure your facing the ocean otherwise you face the street.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple