“Great Diving Experience”
Review of Phantom Divers

Phantom Divers
More attraction details
Owner description: PHANTOM DIVERS is a full service PADI DIVE CENTRE & SNSI DIVE CENTRE located in Playa del Carmen (Riviera Maya) Mexico since 1983. We offer: Scuba Diving Courses & certifications (Open Water, Advace Open Water, Rescue, Dive Master, Specialities), Cavern Diving, SHARK DIVING SPECIALIST, Cozumel diving, Reef Diving, Wreck and Night Diving. Our multilingual local instructors will help you discover the Mexican Caribbean wonders in a safe and fun way. We also offer scuba instruction for children, we welcome all agencies like: PADI, NAUI, SSI, IANTD, TDI. When diving with Phantom Divers, besides having a good time you will also help conservation, since Phantom Divers supports several ONG'S, participating in conservational projects.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I booked 3 dives (1 Playa, 1 Cozemel, and 1 Cenote dive) with Phantom Divers before leaving for Playa del Carmen and had a great experience. They were super helpful in booking the dives and flexible with the dates that I wanted. Each of the divemasters were also extremely helpful during and before the dives making sure that everyone was safe and able to have a good dive. Also, I did not have any problem with the rental equipment during my dives with them. I will definitely use Phantom Divers next time I'm in Playa.

phantomdivers, Manager at Phantom Divers, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you very much for your review! We are very glad you had a great time.We hope to have you back diving with us soon!

Reviewed June 8, 2012

Prior to this trip I had a good experience with Phantom, and as a result gave a positive review. Unfortunately a bad dive could be very dangerous or fatal ,so in the Dive business you are only as good as your last time out.
Let me start by saying I am a PADI certified rescue diver, with 10 years of diving experience.
Normally I do not rent gear, but just didnt feel like carrying my bag this time and figured the few times I have used rental gear, most shops gave me pretty good stuff.
In my diver info sheet and verbally I told Charles I took an XL or maybe a L for BCD. When we got out on the boat I found out he brought me a medium. "Thats ok "he insisted," you'll be fine", even though the chest strap couldnt even make it across my chest. It also had a leaky inflator, and the cord for the dump valve was ripped off.
Playa diving is mostly drift dives, so staying with the group and a quick decent is usually best for everyone.
Unfortunately I did not notice till I was in the water and on my way down that the regulator was not supplying air properly. As I descended I re-checked my tank valve to make sure it was fully open. After we got to about 80 feet I could barely breath an knew I was going to have to abort the dive. I struggled to get Charles attention, and finally did. I had him check the tank valve, and showed him I was getting no air on either my primary or secondary.
If I had grabbed him to buddy breath I would have been taking him away from a group that was quickly drifting out of site. I knew for what little he seemed to be monitoring them they'd be better with him than drifting alone.
My regulator failed to the point that it was giving no more air at all !!!!! I am convinced if this had happened to a less experienced diver things would have not went so well.
I was also afraid that in drift dive situations it can be hard to signal the boat while alone, but the boat captain did see me and I made it aboard. Still 2300lb in my tank, but nearly none coming through the reg. The gear was just garbage, never serviced at all and competely abused.When I looked in it I saw the first stage was completely green and full of corrosion True I should have spotted it,before getting wet but they should never be giving it out either!

Do you want to Roll the dice and get some of their neglected gear ????
How will you handle an out of air situation @ 80 feet ?
When I expressed concern at the desk, I was told "we expect you all to be certified divers and there fore able to handle yourselves "

My bill with Phantom (which I paid ) was for the full price, without even a discount for the nearly disastrous dive.Not even the fee for the crappy rental gear was waived !! Although even if all my dives were free, I would not likely return, and would strongly caution anyone with limited experience from using Phantom Divers.

18  Thank ZenIng

Do you want to Roll the dice and get some of their neglected gear ????
How will you handle an out of air situation @ 80 feet ?

Hi, I am writing you in behalf of phantom divers team, because we are really sorry and concerned about your bad experience with us. We are always very careful with equipment and with the people that choose to dive with us, since safety is our primary concern. We hope you return, so we can show you how we do thing well.

Phantom divers

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Laura was very friendly with our questions and doubts about diving in Cozumel and what to expect and to see, we did 02 day dives. Charlie was our guide and he was very knowledgeable and attentive. I would definitely recommend Phantom Divers!

Thank you very much with your review! We are glad you where pleased with our services , team and that you had a great time. HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON!

Reviewed March 25, 2012

It was nice to dive with phantom divers again. I would recommend to everybody...... Great dives, Best staff in mexico. I hope to discover many sites with you guys........................... Daniel from Canada

phantomdivers, Manager at Phantom Divers, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Thank you Daniel! We will be waiting for you here in Playa del Carmen for some more nice dives!

Reviewed February 28, 2012

It was my first experience with scuba diving. I had classes with Charlie.
He is extremely professional and he knew how to calm me down in the stressful situations.
I will come back to Playa and I all dive aging with Phantom and with Charlie!
Thanks a lot guys!
Cheers!

1  Thank HannaN4
phantomdivers, Manager at Phantom Divers, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

Thank you for your review, we are really glad you had a good experience. Phantom divers