“Still going strong...”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Francisco, California
“Still going strong...”
Reviewed August 11, 2010

My boyfriend and I just got back from our second visit to the Banyan Tree Mayakoba, and it was just as great as ever....great service, wonderful and relaxing setting, superb massage, etc. The entire staff is always there to help with anything you may need. Claudia, the reservations manager, went above and beyond the call of duty in helping us with our booking, giving us advice about the area, and just generally giving exceptional service. We also really liked Tania, the hostess at Tamarind, who was charming, friendly and funny! I would recommend taking the ecological boat tour if you get the chance - it's really interesting to see the ecosystem and the birds, fish and reptiles that live there - it's fun to go through the canals and you can also get a glimpse of the other resorts within the complex - well worth the time (it takes about an hour and is done several days a week - I believe Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday). I'm already thinking about another visit...although I do have to agree with some of the other reviewers that it would be nice if the hotel offered more Mexican food at meals other than breakfast (which is great)....

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Banyan Tree family, we want to thank you for taking the time to share such gracious comments about us.

Our goal is to make our guests, repeat guests. We are delighted to read that you considered your second stay as great as the first one.

We are so pleased to know that our staff, which we are very proud of, was always helpful with your requests; especially Claudia, our Reservations Manager, and Tania at Tamarind, who will be overjoyed to read through your remarks.

Besides the spectacular product we have, I am sure that it is our service and attention to details, what makes the difference with our competitors. Still, we will humbly work hard every day to try to deliver a perfect experience for all our guests.

It will be an honor for us to welcome you back soon for the third time, and hopefully very often.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We went to Banyan Tree Mayakoba as a part of our wedding trip. we had the wedding in a different hotel in PDC (since most people would not be able to join us at Banyan Tree due to the cost) and then came here for the honeymoon part of the trip.
During my business travels I have beet to some very high end hotels, but I have not seen this level of hospitality and attention to detail anywhere. From the moment we came to check in, the service was very personal and warm. It felt like people were really try to be nice rather then jockeying for tips like it is common in many places.
We had a basic villa, if this term applies to a huge room, huge bathroom area, outside bath tab and very decent sized pool. I really did not feel the need to upgrade to a spa villa. We both loved the room!
Despite having our own private pool we did find ourselves spending some time at the main pool. It actually felt quite intimate and almost private (while being huge), at most we saw another family of four there, mot of the time it was us and some other couple at the other end of the pool. Once of the reasons we came to the pool was the excellent pool bar. Armando, I believe, was the name of the bartender. We ended up talking to him quite a bit, he learned what we liked and we would just ask him to make something nice, not to be ever disappointed.
Restaurants are of good quality but that is what you would expect, we were not blown away but did enjoy them, especially the Thai one. We participated in the cooking classes and we loved it. (again the one in Saffron was more interesting), then we were served the food we cooked :)
the only downside of the hotel is that the beach is not great, it is very rock and I did not spend much time in the ocean, like I normally do. But somehow, with everything this hotel had to offer it did not feel like much of a loss.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you immensely for taking the time to share your experience with others and for your gracious comments about our resort, food and associates, especially Armando, our famous bartender.

It is very satisfactory to know that we became the scenery of such a unique occasion in your life. Congratulations, and we look forward to celebrating with you many romantic future celebrations ahead.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba very soon.

New York
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I know I am the outlier here (almost all of other reviews are so over the top about Banyan Tree), but I think this place can be better. It is a great hotel, and we had a wonderful time, but there is room for improvement in a few areas.

A couple of initial thoughts:
(1) The beach is approximately 8-10 minutes (by golf cart) from all of the rooms, other than the large villas which are directly on the beach. I knew this when we booked the trip, but, at times, I found it incredibly annoying to wait for a golf cart to take us to the beach. At times when you called for a cart it would come in 3 minutes, which was great, but sometimes we would be waiting for 10 minutes or more. I think, given the location of all of the rooms, that they need to make sure people are not waiting around to get to the beach (the same can be said of the return trip-- don't make people wait at the beach). A great option is the bikes that are offered as it's a nice ride to the beach, but the shocking thing is that they charge you for the bikes (I think it was $20 per day). Come on, at these prices just lave the bikes at the villas and everyone will have a bike- don't nickel and dime me for a bike (I don't really care about the $20, it's just annoying).

(2) Food-
Breakfast Buffet- great, tons of food and all very tasty; service was excellent.

Saffron- we had a great dinner at Saffron- really very good Thai food in a wonderful setting. I reccomend eating outside after the sun goes down (no mosquitoes after the sun goes down) because it is really great outside on their deck.

Tamarind- we had an ok dinner here, they say the food is "ecclectic", to be honest, it just weird and I just don't want food like this on vacation. They need to do something with this dining option, I would suggest making it more authentic Mexican, or a steakhouse or somthing, but Tamarind just did not do it for me. It was nice meal for one night, the food was bizarre, but I cannot imagine eating there more than once per vacation.

Sands- lunch was good, service was good. Dinner- it has to be better- this is the only location they have on the beach for dinner and it's a beautiful spot- I would have eaten here several nigths because it's so nice to be on the beach, but the service was poor (the service everywhere else was great) and the food was really not great. They try to make it Mexican food, but it was really, more or less, the lunch menu all over again with a few additions. They should make this spot into a great dinner option with excellent mexican food and just a nice ocean front atmosphere.

(3) Rooms- generally very nice, I reccomend going with the Courtyard Pool Villa and not the Garden Pool Villa if you are two people. The courtyard pool villa has more room and a hot-tub which is great. Strangely, I think the outside area of the rooms (pool and terrace area) could use some upgrading (new paint, new furniture and cleaned up pool tiles). That said, these are very picky critiques as the rooms are very nice.

(4) Housekeeping- come on, figure out when we are going to be out of the room at night, do not call me every 1/2 hour from 5:00 until we leave asking if we are still in the room. They missed turndown one night.

Look, overall it's really a great place, and the above comments should be taken with a grain of salt (I still gave it 5 stars), I just think it can be made even better. I would recommend it with no reservations, although I do think the food can be much improved (other than breakfast and Saffron which are great).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank nynytraveler4
Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you immensely for taking the time to share your experience with others.

I have taken notes of every detail you point out and the $20 USD charged incorrectly to your account. The daily fee to rent a bike is $5 USD.

We really appreciate your feedback, we all work very hard and humbly everyday to try to reach perfection, but as human beings, sometimes, we all make mistakes.

Barring these inconveniences, I hope you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We actually stayed here in August 2009 - for a long weekend after our wedding as our honeymoon was later in the year. We loved this hotel; We paid for a Garden Villa but were upgraded for free to the next level villa since there were availabilities. The villas are great and so much space, amazing bathroom and private pool/lounge area. I think the private pools could use a little chlorine and maybe some heat - The pool was fine for day time, but too cold for night swimming. The beach/pool set up is probably the best we've been at. An infinity right on the beach. Amazing staff at the pool - the shrimp tempura tacos are ridiculously good. Great food at all the restaurants... we rode bikes (free) around the property. If you ever needed a golf cart to get to the beach it was at your villa in minutes. We stayed on the grounds the whole time except for 1 afternoon renting a car at the hotel and drove to the ruins at Tulum. I would love to eventually make it back to BT Mayakoba

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JonoJohnson
Dear Valued Guest,

We really appreciate you chose us for your first romantic getaway previous to your honeymoon.

We hope we can welcome you back for your upcoming 1st wedding anniversary.

New York
Reviewed August 1, 2010

To start off, I use this site quiet often but sadly haven’t written any reviews. My husband and I just got back from the Banyan Tree for our honeymoon and all I can think about is writing a review for this hotel. Anyone that has complaints is clearly someone that is nearly impossible to please because the staff at this place is unreal. They went above and beyond our wildest dreams. Every night there was a cute little gift for us as honeymooners. Our last night at Saffron was the best meal we have ever had and we live in NYC. The chef is literally from Thailand as well as the manager (who is amazing). We ate at the star gate table over looking the moon and the lagoon. Sadly we didn’t get to see Jeffery, the croc that sits in the waters by the restaurant but we had a wonderful, romantic dinner. After, they asked us to write a wish on a piece of paper and as we were leaving they tied it to a heat lantern and let it up into the sky, a Thai tradition. The beach is just ok but didn’t at all ruin our trip. The food is out of this world. Breakfast buffet was the best we have ever had, lunch was just to die for and dinners even the in villa dining was amazing. The attention to every little detail is just so special. Some people we loved were, Alejandro at the pool bar , Ana that helped us check in and Ivan at Sands restaurant. We also had an amazing waiter who knew everything on the menu at Saffron inside and out but I can not remember his name. Rent bikes it is so worth it, take a class they offer they are included and really fun. We will be returning to this resort, it is nothing like you would expect. IT is like spending a week in your own home but nicer. Thanks to the Banyan Tree for making our honeymoon unforgettable.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Banyan Tree family, we wish to thank you for taking the time to write a nice review of your recent stay with us.

I am very proud to read that our associates` efforts to meet our guests` expectations are recognized. Alejandro, Ana, Ivan and especially Sompong, our Saffron Manager, will be very glad to read that they made your honeymoon unforgettable.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba very soon.

FLA
Reviewed July 30, 2010

My wife and I spent four wonderful nights at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba in July. It was a last minute choice as we usually choose the Caribbean and we were pleasantly surprised (the Caribbean beaches are much nicer however). All the details have been given in previous reviews. The property is amazing. The service was EXCELLENT and genuine. The buffet and food were all wonderful.

A great option for a luxury, secluded get-a-way. A must try if you have yet to experience the Banyon Tree group.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

We are glad to read that our property, service and food, pleasantly surprised you. We hope we can become your usual choice for your upcoming vacations.

Washington, DC
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Banyan tree not only lives up to the hype, it exceeds any and every expectation. We spent our honeymoon there in late May and early June, 8 nights of pure luxury and impeccable service. The Banyan Tree staff has mastered the art of anticipating guests’ needs, checking in frequently without overwhelming.

We stayed in a courtyard pool villa and it was enormous, beautifully designed, and felt like a private paradise. Amazing details—a private pool, outdoor jacuzzi, a separate room for hanging out (called a “pabellon”), very roomy bathroom with his and hers sinks, really high ceilings with a striking wooden bed... the list goes on.

Saffron is Banyan Tree’s signature restaurant for a reason—it’s outstanding! Try the Thai tasting menu, you won’t be disappointed. Samphong, originally from Thailand, will take great care of you and you can tell he’s proud of the delicious, authentic Thai cuisine served here.

Tamarind is another great restaurant at Banyan Tree with an eclectic menu and the best veal cheeks we’ve ever tried.

The breakfast buffet (served ‘til noon) at Oriente is wonderful. I would head straight for the constantly changing Mexican dishes (chilaquiles, enchiladas, chochinito pibil, etc etc) while my husband would make a bee line for the unagi at the sushi station. There are also lots of more typical breakfast options like omelets made to order and delicious pastries.

The Spa – WOW! We had some of the best massages of our lives here – including a long, luxurious, traditional Thai massage. The spa staff, mostly from Thailand, misses no details.

We also did the Rainforest experience – an awesome series of steam rooms, saunas, and hot/cold aromatherapy showers. In some cases you were instructed to spread a salt or milk and yogurt mixture on your skin before entering one of the rooms – it was a really unique, blissful hour of Rainforest fun.

Navigating the sprawling Banyan Tree complex and reaching the beach is easy by bicycle (we used them all week), golf cart buggies (on call 24/7), or even by boat (a “lancha” leaves every half hour from the lobby to the beach, a beautiful ride thru the lagoons and mangroves). Banyan tree is on a nice stretch of beach, and if it’s too windy one day, the pool right there is great, complete with a swim-up bar. The pool and beach staff will sometimes surprise you with little treats like mini mango and melon ice pops in a cinnamon stick.

Yeah, it’s basically heaven. Wish we were still there!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple