“One of the best”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Texas
“One of the best”
Reviewed January 15, 2010

I had extremely high expectations for Banyan Tree Mayakoba, based on the reviews it had received in Trip Advisor. For the most part, I think the high ratings other reviewers have given this resort are warranted. The accommodations are very nice, the food is delicious, the service is good. There are a few minor issues that merit mentioning but overall, I give it very high marks.

Every room is a private villa, with a pool, hot tub and separate pavilion. The rooms are nicely appointed and we were very pleased with the setting. One thing to remember-the pool, hot tub and deck are mostly, but not completely, private. Not really a big deal, as someone would have to be really trying to see you but something to remember if your expectations were for complete privacy. Also, don't be surprised to see workers in boats go by 1 or 2 times a day. We asked specifically when we checked in if any boats ever used the canal and were told no, only to see a boat go by twice the next day. Not a big deal but, again, be aware that it isn't complete and total privacy. If you really want that, book a spa villa with rooftop pool and lounge area and it won't be an issue. The bathrooms are great and very large. Ours had a very large shower, a (very private) outdoor bathtub (upon request, they staff will draw a bath for you and decorate your room with rose petals) and ample closet and dressing space.

The food and service at all of the restaurants was excellent. Waiters and managers remembered our names and our food preferences. One slight drawback-there is no breakfast room service but the breakfast buffet is served until 12 noon, which should give even the latest sleepers ample time to eat. Speaking of breakfast, its served in a huge buffet with plenty of food from which to choose. Mexican, Asian and traditional American breakfast food is available. We usually ate a large, late breakfast and skipped lunch or just snacked. Our other dining experiences were all great; you won't go wrong at any of the restaurants. The flagship restaurant, Saffron, is Thai so if that isn't your thing, any of the others will have plenty of good choices.

We spent most of our time laying by the pool in our villa and only occasionally ventured down the the beach. When we did, the service was good and we had no trouble getting towels, lounges and umbrellas. There was plenty of staff around and when we were ready for food or drink, they quickly accommodated us. We didn't visit the main pool but walked by it on our way to and from breakfast and it looked nice, clean and well staffed.

My wife and I each had a massage in the spa and everything, from the spa facilities, to our spa therapists, were great. Treatments were a little pricey but that's probably to be expected. My only complaint with the spa is that workers with leaf blowers were right outside my window for about 20 minutes.

Overall, we had a great time and can easily recommend Banyan Tree Mayakoba. Just a few things that I think merit a mention:
1) We were surprised at how many families we saw during our stay. For some reason, we expected that there would be more couples and fewer families. This isn't a knock against the hotel, just an observation.
2) When we checked in, our resort host told us all of the restaurants except the Beach Club were booked up that night. Turns out, that wasn't the case and I'm not sure if he was misinformed or just wanted us to eat at the Beach Club. I've seen this same issue addressed in other reviews. My suggestion is to make your dining arrangements for your first night in advance (try Tamarind) and make reservations for your remaining meals soon after you arrive. Don't wait until 5 pm and expect to get a reservation for that night.
3) The resort is laid out in such a way that every villa (or at least most of them) back up to a canal (with the exception of the 12 or so 3 bedroom villas actually at the beach). This means that you have to walk all the way around the villas in order to get anywhere. You can call for a golf cart to pick you up but that can take some time, especially during peak periods. You can also request bicycles but, as a number of other reviews have noted, you may or may not get any and when you do, it may be the night before you check out, as was the case with us. There is a charge for the bicycles, which I think is ridiculous. The resort would do well to buy more bikes and make them available for no charge.
4) Our resort host guided us through check in, took us to our room and after that, we never saw him again. We got along fine without him but during the check in process, he led us to believe that he would be available to us during the rest of our stay. The resort may want to re-think how they want the resort hosts to interact with the guests.

None of these issues ruined our stay nor would they make us not want to recommend the hotel to friends and family. I understand that its still a new property and some issues just take a while to work out. Overall, we had a great time and were treated very well. We will return to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon and expect to again have a wonderful time.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TX99
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President / Area General Manager Mexico at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, March 8, 2010
Dear Valued Guest

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and wish to thank you very much for your gracious comments about our hotel services and associates.

Our main commitment is to maintain the high standards you have experienced through consistency training to our staff of whom we are very proud and believe is the finest in Riviera Maya.

Regarding your notes about breakfast in villa, it all depends on the category of your booking. Most of the rates include breakfast buffet in Oriente, however, there is always the choice to have breakfast in villa with an additional charge.

You are right about the privacy. We have 107 Pool Villas, not all of them are 100% private. Some of them have more view to the canals or to the beach, that means less privacy. Some others are fully private, but there is no view, so there are different options which you can choose from.

I have taken note of your observations regarding the wrong information our Resort Host gave you for your dinner reservation, be sure a follow up is taken on your notes.

Thank you for choosing Banyan Tree Mayakoba and for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Warm Regards,

pancho.llamas@banyantree.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
ny,ny
Reviewed January 13, 2010

We chanced upon this jewel of a hotel thanks to the trip advisor ratings and reviews. Having heard of its sister hotel in Phuket, we booked it on the spur of the moment, and are currently enjoying our stay. I had thought that Playa Del Carmen would be too commercial for my tastes, but this property and beachfront is so private and pristine that I feel like its my own private resort! The architecture is astounding, with a spare-no-expense attention to detail, from the interior design, to the fixtures, to the horticulture. The rooms are actually villas with private swimming pools, a yard and gazebo, a spacious bedroom, and killer bathrooms with outdoor bathtubs. Interior design is ultra-sleek with a zen-like elegance. The place is quite spread out with cenote streams surrounding the villas, and pathways that circle the property. One can boat from the hotel to the beach, or ride bikes along the many pathways that connect the hotel to the beach and to the other 5 star hotels and golf course in Mayakoba. This makes for a lot of fun, exploring this enormous and idyllic property.
The staff here is beyond belief. They clearly have been hand picked to be the most genial,enthusiastic and lovely staff I have encountered in my travels. I swear that the staff outnumbers the guests. I was shocked after dinner the night before my birthday, when the wonderful staff at Saffron brought me out a birthday cake and sang to me. I was perplexed at how they knew it was my birthday. To cap it off, when I got back to the villa, a hot bubble bath had been drawn for me with numerous candles surrounding it. Allessandra, our hostess, apparently had noticed upon check-in that I was having a birthday during the trip and arranged for it all.
Unfortunately for us, we had the bad timing of being here during the longest cold spell in memory. I can only imagine how much better this trip would have been were we able to enjoy all the facilities! In light of this event, my only criticism is that all the pools except one are not heated, and that one hasn't been heated enough for the inclement temperature. Nevertheless, I would come back here in the blink of an eye- but I think somewhat regretfully, that word of mouth will spread about this amazing destination, and this hidden gem will become a difficult reservation to book!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest

On behalf of Banyan Tree family, we wish to thank you for taking the time to share such gracious comments about your stay with us, and especially about our staff.

Thank you for your remarks regarding our effort in recruiting and training our associates. We are very proud of our colleagues and we believe they are the finest in Riviera Maya.

It is a great pleasure to know that we surprised you at Saffron on your birthday. I hope you had enjoyed it.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others; we look forward to welcome you back for future celebrations.

Ar3enalfan
Reviewed January 11, 2010

The staff, rooms, service and architecture are tremendous. My wife and I stayed at the end of December and our expectations were very much exceeded. This place is special. We are returning for a second time in March 2010. A lot of thought has gone into making sure that your stay goes beyond what the competition can offer. There are 4 restaurants that each offer very different culinary experiences -- Mexican, Thai, seafood, and hybrid/modern. Each restaurant was extremely good -- and the chef of each restaurant makes a point of visiting the table to check on your eating experience. We didn't get tired of the food like we usually do when dining at the same hotel for several days. The restaurant managers do an excellent job -- service was prompt and the staff couldn't do enough to make sure you get what you want.

The commitment to high-end service is found throughout this hotel. My wife and I travel a lot for business and pleasure, and this hotel has found the ideal blend of luxury -- the staff anticipate your next move and steer you into the relaxation zone. The management team has trained the staff wonderfully.

The architecture of the hotel is beautiful. The modern Asian-inspired facility blends well with the mangroves and beach area. The rooms (really should be called villas) and common areas have high-end, modern fixtures everywhere -- no cost spared. The property is large -- an 18-hole golf course wraps around the whole property. Electric buggies and an electric boat (to save on environment and keep noise low) transport you around the property -- alternatively you can request bikes. To jog around the property takes 30 minutes -- which is very cool as you get to see the sea, mangroves, bridges, wild life, the golf course, etc. You never feel crowded -- we went at a time when there was high occupancy -- but you would never know -- quite the contrary.

My wife and I have stayed in the region before -- we stayed at Maroma Spa & Resort. This facility is a two star resort when compared to the five star Banyan Tree. The rooms are very basic and the hotel needs a serious overall upgrade, whereas Banyan Tree goes beyond your expectations.

Looking forward to going back in March -- The Macdonald family.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ar3enalfan
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President - Area General Manager (Mexico) at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, February 2, 2010
Dear Macdonald Family,

We are overjoyed to read your fine remarks about our resort, the service and our associates.

We really appreciate you took the time to share your experience, and that Banyan Tree Mayakoba went beyond to exceed your expectations.
Mr. Ed DiLuca, our Food and Beverage Director, our Executive Chef, Mr. Matías Martínez, our architects and designers, as well as their teams, will be very glad to read your review.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back on March and we look forward to make your stay a perfect experience.

New York
Reviewed January 5, 2010

Let's start with the good stuff. Beautiful beach, luxurious rooms, STUNNING hotel, excellent food and a courteous staff.
There were some incredible touches: Flowered bracelets, cold towels and juice on arrival. A gift left by our bed almost every night. Chocolate to welcome us and to say good-bye. Chocolate covered strawberries in the room every night too. Our favorite touch- the juice of the day, complete with glasses chilling in our fridge. Plus fresh fruit in our room. Bottles of water left everywhere, even though the tap water was completely safe to drink. If you book an excursion through the hotel, they will pack a cooler with drinks and cold towels at no extra cost. (Tulum, the cenotes and snorkeling are all worthwhile.) A terrific New Year's Eve celebration including free champagne with dinner- but more on that later. Flip flops, slippers, robes, beach bags - your room is stocked with almost anything you could possibly have forgotten to pack.
Okay, now the not so good-
The resort ran out of bikes, which due to the resort's layout are a necessity. We only received our bikes on the second to last day of the stay. Instead we depended on the buggy service which was mostly fine, the longest wait was half an hour, but that only happened once. (And a buggy driver that had a minor accident when taking a turn too fast, but never mind that.) There was also a boat that could take you from one end of the resort to the other, which mostly ran as promised, except during the middle of the day when it didn't.
Our terrace villa although beautiful, had some flaws. The worst being that the doors to the master bathroom were extremely difficult to close. My husband and I kept walking in on each other at embarrassing moments. Awkward! The other flaw was a mildew/insecticide odor coming from our shower area. The second and third bedrooms had no tv.....however, the tv we had offered lots of English programming choices. To those of you thinking of booking a terrace villa- don't expect the jacuzzi, outdoor soaking tub and ipod docks you see in the hotel's brochures. These rooms don't have those extra amenities. Lastly, there was no way to dry your clothing. We kept leaving our wet clothes on our roof top deck, but the clothing was brought back into the rooms by the well meaning staff while still damp.
Despite the incredible service, there were a few glitches. The most unfortunate was that when we arrived, we were told that the only dinner reservation available in the whole resort was for a barbecue at the Sands (beach restaurant). Great -a nice casual dinner! Not so fast - lesson learned- when you make a dinner reservation at the Banyan Tree- ask the price first! We had no clue it was a price fixed dinner and were shocked when the bill came to over $500 US for four people. (with only two glasses of wine for the whole table.) We were even more upset when we heard that there had been plenty of available space in the other hotel restaurants. We complained at the front desk, but no adjustment was made. (Note: dinner for four generally averaged $250, which was in line with our expectations.)
The breakfast buffet was perfect, but unfortunately getting coffee or tea was a bit of a challenge some mornings. However, eventually it always came. Don't miss the coco truffle tea.
We ran into a weirdly solicitous cabana guy, who offered to make sure there would be lounges for us at the beach every day, presumably in exchange for a generous tip. Luckily, we didn't fall for that one.
Service at the beach was mostly great - free drinks and snacks were offered routinely. Plus lunch could be brought right to your beach chair. So nice! And no worries, despite a full resort, there were always lounges available at the beach. (Note- to really get the world class resort thing right - the resort should make sure the umbrellas and beach chairs match- there were two different lounge types jumbled together and mismatched umbrellas, which was surprising given the careful design choices every where else.)
The health club was small and crowded and there was only one small yoga class per day, despite a resort brochure that promised a wide variety of yoga classes. We tried the Rain Forest experience at the spa and it was different and fun.
One real problem for the resort was communication - the resort could use an info channel on the tv. We heard rumors about a New Year's Eve party from other guests. We asked at the front desk, but they told us nothing was planned. The rumors of a big party turned out to be right, but a lot of guests and staff were in the dark. Additionally, we found out that other guests received a flyer explaining the dining options and prices for New Years....we never received that flyer, despite specifically asking for it. All was forgiven when we ordered room service on New Year's eve and were kindly given a free bottle of champagne . While on our villa's roof top deck at midnight, we were treated to an incredible display of fireworks from the Banyan Tree and more fireworks from each of the surrounding hotels.
One last glitch came at checkout time. Our bill contained $40 worth of honor bar charges that weren't ours, we didn't say anything because of all the extras that we received, but still.....
So all in all, yes, the Banyan tree is BEAUTIFUL and mostly they get it right. However the hotel has to work on a few things before anyone can call a vacation there perfect. I have every faith the resort will work out those problems because clearly they want to get it right. Almost perfect, but not quite there yet.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank GardeningMomNY
Dear Valued Guest

On behalf of Banyan Tree family, we wish to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us.

As I mentioned in my response of the last review, we cannot provide bicycles for everybody since it would be impossible to have 300 bicycles around the resort. From now on, we have been lead to charge a nominal fee for the use of this service in order to control better the usage of bikes.

The Terrace Houses are suitable for families, but they do not have the same design and experience as our Banyan Tree Pool Villas. I am pleased to inform you that we do have Two Bedroom and Three Bedroom Pool Villas which will give a complete Banyan Tree Experience.

Regarding your comments about the barbecue at Sands, during special dates like 24th, 25th and 31st of December, all our guests expect special dinners in our restaurants, so a special gala dinner was arranged for these days. But our In Villa Dinning service was available 24 hours with our daily menu.
I have taken notes on your comments about the $40 USD charged incorrectly to your account, please get in touch with me to reimburse them to your credit card.

I really appreciate your feedback, we all work very hard and humbly everyday to try to reach perfection, but as human beings, sometimes, we all make mistakes.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon.

New York
Reviewed January 4, 2010

I must admit to being a bit intimidated by the seemingly unanimous reviews that this hotel is the "be all and end all" and the best resort anyone has been to in the Americas, because I think there are several areas where the resort needs improvement. One difference in my views from earlier ones may be that I went during Christmas when rates are about $1,500 minimum a room per night when you include tax and service, and many of the earlier reviews were for promotional rates. While the resort may eventually be included in the list of the best, it has substantial room for improvement, despite the world class staff.

Service is the strength of the resort, as in that area I agree with the opinions that the staff was the best I ever encountered. They were friendly, attentive, and adaptive to our needs. They also managed to keep the proper distance to respect privacy. The only minor suggestion I would give would be for the housekeepers to try to work around guests belongings rather than deciding to reorganize them; we had a daily game of guessing where they had relocated a brush, magazine, lotion, eye shades, etc.

The facilities are beautiful, but seem limited if you are going to be staying more than a few days. I appreciate a very comfortable lounge chair down by a beautiful beach as much as anyone, but for just so long before feeling "beached". A problem is that there isn't a lot to do at the resort except lounge by the beach/pool. By the way, I know the weather is great usually, but the pools were not used, probably because all but one are not heated; we never got for than a foot into the one in our villa. The resort shares 1 golf course and two very average tennis courts with all the other hotels at Mayakoba and the Mandarin Oriental. The resort gym is minuscule, and unattended. It was impossible to get on one of the very few pieces of equipment or even find room to even stretch if there were more than 4 people at the facility. There is also no real general locker facility; no shower, nor lockers, sauna, steam room, so be prepared to walk around in your sweaty clothes should you be lucky enough to get the use of an aerobics machine. If you decide to take a massage or other treatment (these were very good, btw), you're met in the Spa lobby and walked across outside through a part of the hotel to a private room with a shower and separate bathroom. That essentially is it for exercise and sports facilities. In this way the resort pales behind anything you would find at a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. It makes staying here for more than 3 or 4 days difficult, especially if you're active.

I can't talk about the rooms except about ours, which was a three bedroom "Terrace Residence". It's a 3 level building. the top floor being a small (cold) pool with a table and places to lie down with direct views of and from the golf course. The main floor has a nice living/dining room, but has no bathroom. All the bathrooms and the bedrooms are downstairs which has somewhat of a basement feeling. The Master Bedroom is large, but the Master Bathroom is part of the room and separated by sticky sliding "walls" which are difficult to close. The toilet is not in a separate W.C., which with the difficult sliding walls takes a lot away from what I guess could be a romantic setting. Then there's the TV/closet dilemma; there's a nice flat screen TV on a cart that sits in front of the single closet where you can put your empty suitcases; the problem is that the cables to the TV are so short that you can't open the closet at all, and the TV can't quite face the bed. Btw, that's also the only TV in any of the bedrooms, which makes for a potential issues if you're there with a family or another couple.The hotel manager did lengthen the cords on the master TV plus add one to the second bedroom when I asked; like everything, they tried to do anything they could to make your stay best.

The second bedroom has a king bed but the room is half the size of the master, and the bathroom (while it does have a door) is very small. The third bedroom is maybe 10'-13', and has two single beds and a small bathroom that also opens to the hall. All the bedrooms are very poorly lighted, which when added to the hard walls and floors contribute to the basement feeling of the entire bedroom level. Also, the showers are more confusing than they should be; the knobs have to be turned towards the 8 o'clock position for hot (wait, it'll go from freezing to hot after a while). There's a patio outside each of the bedrooms, but no furniture of any sort...not even to lay a wet bathing suit. There are no washer or dryers available except through the hotel laundry, which is surprising considering they are commonplace at many other 5 star resorts we have stayed at. Nothing dries inside, and the housekeeping staff keeps bringing your damp clothes in as part of their reorganization drill.

The Restaurant Saffron is excellent, and the breakfast buffet fine (btw,at $25 plus the 25% tip on everything there, it's not as badly priced as we had been led to believe). Lunches at the beach are good (luckily, since getting from the beach to the lobby or your villa is a 20+ minute effort usually). We ate dinner in Playa del Carmen three nights, which was a fun trip (170 pesos each way fixed price). If not for Playa del Carmen, I think we would have gone a bit stir crazy. The resort provide basic bikes which are a nice touch and could help to get around; only problem is that they were in short supply during Christmas, and they wear very poorly because of the weather and shoddy construction. The one I got (after a couple of days on a waiting list) had a chain which fell off as well as the entire pedal crank falling apart; both times the staff came running to help and returned them to my villa in whatever was the best condition possible.

Sorry to ramble; by adding my thoughts I don't want to accidentally insult the incredible staff as they try their hardest and would move heaven and earth for the guests. My issues are with the people who designed the resort; my hope is that they will add the necessary facilities to make this resort be what it could be. I can think of several resorts which currently are better than Banyan Tree Mayakoba, but none with the level of service. Hopefully the facility will catch up to the service.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank AndyENewYork
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing your comments, they are very important for us.

Regarding your observation about the gym, it is right that when the resort is running full, peak hours can get pretty busy. We will check the possibility to extend the gym. Our well known Rainforest is just right next to the gym, where you can find lockers, showers, steam and sauna.

You stayed in a Terrace House, and let me inform you that this is a Property Sales´ product for families, which is a different concept to the Banyan Tree Pool Villas. I assume you have been informed, that besides the Terrace Houses, we have 3 bedroom Pool Villas which have been designed for a complete Banyan Tree experience.

Concerning the bikes, as I have explained before, we cannot provide bicycles for everybody since it would be impossible to have between 400 and 500 bicycles, this would eventually lead into accidents. And you are right about the poor quality of some bikes. We urgently bought 50 bikes to please some of our guests that could not get bikes upon arrival, but unfortunately, the only ones available were a cheap version. In order to control the usage of bikes, we will start charging a nominal fee for the use of this service.

Besides these inconveniences, I hope you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba very soon.

With best regards,

True North
Reviewed January 3, 2010

Any review cannot truly do this resort service. The other reviews are so accurate and glowing my written skills cannot compare.
This hotel is amazing. the location, the setting, the food, and most of all the service is like eating at Alain Ducasse 3 meals a day for your whole life.
As this was our second visit in 2009, i cant stop looking forward to our next trip. Don't stay at the Rosewood or Mandarin, you will be wasting your time.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank REYMYSTERIOJR
Dear Valued Guest

On behalf of Banyan Tree family, we want to thank you for taking the time to share such gracious comments about us.

Our goal is to make our guests, repeat guests. I really appreciate your concise review and I am delighted to know we met your expectations not only once, but twice. It will be an honor for us to welcome you back soon and very often.

With kind regards,

maryland
Reviewed January 1, 2010

This property is the finest in the Americas...I have stayed at many of the finest resorts in the US/Caribbean etc....Simply put, this is the best. The service here makes the 4 Seasons/Ritz/Rosewood seem like a Hyatt/Holiday inn. We are still here in the middle of a 8 night stay and have loved every minute! Caution--get a 3...not a 2 bedroom suite--much more private etc. New Years was extraordinary. Expensive--yes but worth the price.....Well Done Banyan Tree!!!!

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank cherrypt
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you so much for your comments, we humbly appreciate you have placed us above companies that have always been benchmark for us.

We will keep on working hard to provide the best of all ourselves. Our goal is always to exceed our guests´ expectations.

Regarding the privacy of our villas, we have 102 villas with 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms, all with different views and locations to provide different levels of privacy.

I really appreciate the time you took to share your experience with other guests.

I wish you keep enjoying your stay.

With best regards,