“Outstanding”

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Ranked #2 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 10, 2009

We just returned from the Banyan Tree Mayakoba where we traveled with our friends and family to celebrate our wedding. The service was excellent from the moment that we stepped off the plane at the airport. The car service provided by the hotel was excellent. I strongly recommed this as the taxi drivers at the Cancun airport are comically solicitous and it is a fair ride to the Mayakoba Reserve. We were provided with cold towels and ice water on arrival which was a nice touch as it was well into the 90's when we arrived. The check in process was very relaxing. We were provided with refreshments in the lounge as we waited for about all of 2 minutes for the staff to take care of the arrangements. We were given a quick tour of the main building to familiarize ourselves with the main part of the hotel before we were driven by golf cart to our room. Some people have mentioned that they have had issues with the buggy service but we were there for 10 days and were about as far away as you could get from the main building and there was only one time where we had to wait for more than 5 minutes from the moment we made the call to the desk and we used that service multiple times every day to go to breakfast and dinner. The bikes are a great touch.

The Food: Our biggest concern with having our wedding at any hotel was the quality of the food. The food at the hotel was excellent. Saffron was especially good and the food at Tamarind stacks up to places in NY as well. The sea bass was excellent at Tamarind. Also the breakfast spread was better than any comparable hotel with a nice mix of Asian and Mexican dishes that vary every day. There is also standard breakfast fare as well (omlette station, waffles, bagels, lox, etc.)

The Service: Impeccable. period.

The Property: Excellent layout of the property overall. An actual comment was "you cannot take a bad picture here" There are a lot of mentions of mosquitos and personally I never get bit so they really don't bother me but my wife gets killed by them NY let alone in the middle of an ecological park in Mexico but they didn't bother her any more than on any tropical location we have been too, so not really a big deal and they are only an issue at all for an hour at dusk. Anyway, if you don't like mosquitos a beach location anywhere in the Caribbean is probably not a good choice for you. I would suggest skiing in Colorado, the mosquito population there is pretty sparse in the winter.

Rooms: Let's see, 2Bdr, Infinity pool with jacuzzi: check, separate living room/ bar area: check, outdoor bath and shower: check, excellent design: check.
Yep, that works.

Spa: "Better than NYC" A big compliment comming from a person that to this day insists that the best pizza in the world just happens to be the on on the corner of her block where she grew up in NYC. (It's actually Little City Pizza in Simsbury, CT)

Value: Worth every penny

Sercive: Clearly a very well trained staff. They went to extraordinary levels to accommodate absolutely anything we needed. First rate. Every single person went far above and beyond what could have been asked. First of all, thank you for such a great time Pancho, Peter, (Jenny, Flo says sorry and she hopes Yoga went well), Mari Lu, Arturo, Raphael, Miguel, Abraham at the pool bar and let's see........

Yvonne!!

With all of the great things said above about this hotel there is one thing that stands out above all the others. That is Yvonne. Even with the excellent reviews on the web site, the pictures, the reputation of Banyan Tree in general, we would never have not had our wedding at the Banyan Tree if it was not for Yvonne. For comparison's sake we also looked at the Ritz in Grand Cayman and Amanyara in Turks and Caicos. We had visited the Ritz prior and my Sister and Brother in law checked out Amanyara in person. Due to Yvonne's unmatched professionalism and the fact that she was an absolute pleasure to deal with we decided on the Banyan Tree sight unseen. We were so glad that we did. We could not have asked for a better experience for our wedding. Everything was perfect, even the timing of the weather. (Yvonne, I'm sure you had something to do with that as well so, thank you.) We did not have a lot of time to dedicate to minor details like how many rose petals should be on a place setting or which direction the beach should be raked. As such, we really asked Yvonne to do a lot and she more than delivered. Need a photographer? done. entertainment? all set. Can you serve this specific type of tea that only grows above 9,000 ft in the Himalayas? "We'll send someone right over, he'll be back in 20 minutes" (Kidding there, but you get the idea) Yvonne, above all thank you for taking the stress out of planning a wedding and making it an absolutely perfect day.

• Stayed: November 2009
2  Thank soxyanks74
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President / Area General Manager Mexico at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2010

Dear Valued Guests,

On behalf of Banyan Tree Mayakoba family, Marilu, Arturo, Rafael, Miguel, Abram and especially Yvonne, I wish to thank you immensely for taking the time to share your experience so in detail.

We really consider Yvonne a very special person with the gift to feel the romance between two persons and suggesting the best setting and ambience of Banyan Tree Mayakoba to create a unique experience for each couple.

It is very satisfactory to know that we became the scenery of such special day in your life. Congratulations and we look forward to celebrate with you many romantic future celebrations.

pancho.llamas@banyantree.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,177)

Reviewed December 10, 2009

the service here was one in a million, the staff treat you like king and queen and would do anything to make your stay the best possible!
the villa (we had a garden pool villa) was stunning, nothing can fault it, pure luxury! Very clean, had cleaners come every day without fail and again before bed for turn down service which they would tidy again if needed.
best bit was the outside bath, pool just outside your patio, the hammock, the very comfortable bed, the wet room shower... everything! nothing in this villa was a downfall everything was perfect!
the food was outstanding in all restaurants, breakfast buffet was absolutely lovely, so much choice and you could have something different everyday if you wanted. sparkling wine with juice was brought round free of charge which was a nice touch.
lunch at the beach club was superb, brought to you with silver lids on top, fresh water with ice was brought round regular, as was free acholic drinks to try throughout the day.
the beach staff would bend over backwards to help you.
dinner was again outstanding, was expensive but worth the money as it was so good.
an amazing place, the spa is a must, I had a full body massage and it was out of this world, the whole experience was just so relaxing.
If you have the chance to experience this hotel then diffiantly do!

Dear Valued Guests,

We thank you immensely for taking the time to share your experience with others and for your gracious comments about our resort, food, spa and staff.

It is very gratifying for the Banyan Tree Mayakoba family to read throughout your comments and realize that your stay with us was pleasant enough to spend your valuable time sharing the experience with others.

Reviewed December 7, 2009

I secretly planned this honeymoon for my wife and I after our marriage in mid-November. After countless hours of covert research and nearly driving my travel agent into early retirement, I decided on the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. I’m pleased to say that this was one of the best decisions I’ve made in my entire life.

It isn’t easy, or even possible, to succinctly and accurately describe our stay at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba; it is something that needs to be experienced, and it truly is a sanctuary for the senses. No amount of trip advisor reviews, pictures or internet commentary can prepare you for what you will experience once you arrive. As we arrived, a very courteous, professional and kind gentleman named Miguel greeted us and simply told us, “welcome home.” These two simple words lived with us throughout our stay because we sincerely felt as if we had a new home. Our amiable hostess, Anna, met us immediately and offered us cold towels and chaya juice while we waited in the open-air lobby during the check-in process. We were then taken to our villa and given a tour of the amenities. It only takes a matter of moments to realize how and why this hotel has received such high praises. The staff kindly greeted us throughout our stay and was very helpful, courteous and eager to accommodate our needs. Every request we made to the staff was answered with a “with pleasure.” The property is impeccable and the accommodations are well-appointed. We were pleasantly surprised when we learned that we had been upgraded to a Spa Pool Villa. I’ve never seem a more beautiful lobby, and all of the villas are stunning.

Yvonne, the events and romance manager, is an incredibly sweet, exceptionally talented and delightful woman who helped me coordinate several very special gifts for my wife. She helped me arrange a very romantic dinner at Saffron (one of the restaurants at the hotel), complete with roses, a card I had written and an intimate moment package for after dinner. Yvonne played a pivotal role in designing this honeymoon, and I would feel remiss if I didn’t give her the accolade she deserves. Thank you so much Yvonne!

As far as restaurants, my wife and I preferred Saffron and the Oriente over Tamarind. We both felt the food was very good, but the selections were limited and slightly overpriced.

We had several minor problems during our stay, most of which were immediately corrected. When we arrived, our hot tub would not warm up. But, after a few phone calls, the problem was fixed the next morning after a part was replaced. One morning while my wife and I were at the Oriente, someone absconded with my bike. It was immediately replaced within minutes.

Overall, the service was excellent, as were all other facets of our stay. It was a remarkable experience and one we will not soon forget. Now, we want to visit all of the other Banyan Tree locations around the world. This was a perfect honeymoon, and it was well worth the price. I am certain that we will return to the Mayakoba Banyan Tree, maybe even later this month...

I want to personally thank the entire Banyan Tree staff for a job well done! Thank you for making this honeymoon such a memorable experience...we hope to see you all very soon!

When I told my wife I was writing a review of our stay, she wanted to include the following:

My wonderful husband surprised me with our entire honeymoon experience. I had absolutely no idea where we were going, but witnessed many moments leading up to our vacation of "oohs" and "aahs" as he would secretly plan and research on the laptop. It was all left to my imagination...and I have to say...I couldn't have imagined a more spectacular and perfect destination. When we arrived, we were upgraded to a Spa Pool Villa and it was absolutely marvelous. I was blown away when our charming hostess, Anna, opened the door to our new "home" for the week. I was delighted to see that we had our very own pool and hot tub! She gave us a tour of the villa, which included our own pavilion, master bedroom, breathtaking bathroom (I loved the sinks!), outdoor bathtub, and terrace, complete with massage tables, lounge and outdoor shower. I then knew I wanted time to slow down. As hard as it was to leave our villa, we were given bikes to use for the week in order to explore the property and effortlessly bike from place to place. That was a nice touch.

Our privacy was respected at all times, thanks to the privacy light outside our villa. The nightly turn down service was very pleasant, and my husband and I loved the small gifts they would leave for us every evening.

We did manage to pry ourselves from our villa several times; we traveled to Xel-Ha so we could swim with Dolphins, scuba dive off the coast of Cozumel and experience the spectacular cenotes. The tour office personnel were extremely helpful in arranging all of our extracurricular activities.

The villas are nestled into the surrounding mangroves, which made it feel like we were alone in our own little world. The grounds were incredibly serene and well-manicured.
The spa was an incredible experience in itself. We received a complimentary Rainforest experience after a scheduling error was made with one of our couples massage sessions – it was an extraordinarily unique experience. If you plan on staying at the Banyan Tree, I highly recommend the Rainforest experience and Island Dew massage.

The Oriente breakfast was a superb way to start each morning. The staff was very pleasant, responsive and kind. Ivan and Caesar were incredible; they really did a fantastic job of making sure that we had everything we needed. We were excited to hear that the Oriente was opening during dinner hours, but were disappointed with the menu choices and limited options that were available. We were expecting, and would have enjoyed, a buffet-style dinner, much like their breakfast.

I can reasonably say without a doubt in my mind, that this is quite possibly the best place my husband could have arranged for us to stay on our honeymoon. I simply cannot imagine a more romantic, peaceful or beautiful setting to start our lives together. The Banyan Tree Mayakoba will forever hold a very special place in our hearts. We have already made plans to return later this month, and we plan on making this our “home away from home” for many years to come! Many thanks to the magnificent and brilliant staff at Banyan Tree, who made us feel like family the moment we arrived.

2  Thank DRZEN09

Dear Valued Guests,

On behalf of Banyan Tree Mayakoba family, I wish to thank you very much for taking the time to convey information about your experience with us during such special celebration as was your honeymoon.

Thank you for your comments regarding our efforts trying to solve certain inconveniences that happened during your stay. I apologize but I am happy to see that our team reacted professionally. We are very proud of our associates and how they always try to get one step ahead of our guests needs.

Yvonne will be happy to know that her suggestions and assistance were helpful trying to impress your wife during your stay. Indeed she is a great Romance Manager.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others, and for considering us your “Home away your Home”, it is a great honor for all of us.

Reviewed December 6, 2009

There's a reason this hotel is rated #1. Everything is taken into consideration to make your stay enjoyable. From three options to get you to the beach, to the complimentary afternoon beverage on the beach, the staff has you covered.
One of the reasons we stayed here - other than the amazing webdeal - was the attraction of being able to ride bikes to the beach. Upon showing up, they claimed that due to the start of high season, bike are $10 USD per person per day. We complained because this feature - while not for everyone - is one of the details we loved. The following day, the staff informed us that no bike fee would be applied to our stay. It is this type of response that those who stay at a high end resort like this expect and appreciate.
Also, the villas are everything you could imagine, my wife said the massage was the best she's had, and Safron is super tasty Thai food.

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Banyan Tree Mayakoba family, I wish to thank you very much for taking the time to share with us and other readers your kind comments.

It is always a great pleasure to read through notes such as yours, for they serve as an inspiration to help us in our continued commitment to maintain the high standards you have experienced.

I have to say that the great success of the bike service is now a problem… I will need to buy 100 more bikes.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon.

Reviewed December 4, 2009

We were in the Riviera Maya/Cancun areas for a total of a week to celebrate: a wedding, our 1year wedding anniversary and other parties. We saw information about this hotel when it first opened up and took this vacation as an opportunity to stay at this resort. Luckily, there was also an internet special which we were also able to take advantage of.

Location: This is definately not a party resort, but I would recommend it for a wedding. This location is pretty secluded. It was a 10-15 minute taxi ride to Playa del Carmen which we found to be neither too far, nor too close.

Accomodations: For our short 3night stay here, we were going to be gone for most of the day, therefore we opted for the courtyard villa - the most basic villa. Wow, were we surprised. The villas were beautifully decorated, clean and very spacious. We honestly felt like we were the only guests on the property. The yard area was maintained very well and the pool was really clean. Our only slight disappointment was that the pool was very cold. We were also given bikes which we used to go throughout the property. We used the bikes mostly to go the beach every morning and to get to the main lobby.

Serivce: Excellent! Alejandra was our designated person for our stay. Whenever we needed anything, she just told her. She definately went above and beyond our requests (mostly small things). Everyone at the resort was extremely friendly and attentive.

Food: Since we were gone most of the day, we did not have the opportunity to eat at the resturants. However, we were able to eat at the Orient for a breakfast buffet every morning. Good variety and very fresh.

Overall: I recommend this place hands down!

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Banyan Tree Mayakoba family, I wish to thank you very much for taking the time to comment about your experience in your recent trip of celebration.

We are so happy to know that our associates, whom we are very proud of, were always helpful with your requests; especially Alejandra, who will very glad to know that her genuine care for our guests is recognized.

The water of the in the pools might get cool when the temperature falls during cold nights, but it is very pleasant at noon when temperature increases. However all our villas, with the exception of the Garden Villas (standard category), have an outdoor Jacuzzi with hot water; as well our main pool, Reflections is heated during the winter.

Reviewed December 1, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Banyan Tree for five nights after having spent some earlier time at Maroma. We loved the Banyan Tree and preferred it over all, though the two resorts are vey different in style. Just by way of comparison, the Banyan Tree feels much larger, a sprawling resort, and is more modern and less intimate in style than Maroma. Some of the pros and cons follow.

Pros: The staff to guest ratio nevertheless was very high and the service was extremely attentive. We really loved the large and modern rooms, the high ceilings and the private plunge pool and private courtyard/sitting area. The closet and bathroom at the Banyan Tree felt as large as the main area of our room at the Maroma. We also loved the spa services, the thai massages, classes etc. The workout facility was nice though not exceptional. Everything had a "newness" about it which is not surprising given the hotel's relatively recent opening. We enjoyed just the laid-back feel of the resort, just riding the resort bikes around the grounds was a pleasure.

Cons. There were a few cons, though not many. The resort like many in the area is long and narrow with only a small beach area. As others have noted, this means that many of the rooms are quite distant from the beach, requiring a (enjoyable, in our case) bike or "buggie" ride to get there. The restaurants were expensive though the food was good, not great, but good. There were mosquitos on some of the nights during our stay, though that is not particular to this resort (it's the area); that basically was not an issue you just wear repellent when going ount on some of the evenings.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wdcmpj
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President / Area General Manager Mexico at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Banyan Tree Mayakoba family, I wish to thank you very much for taking the time to comment about your experience in your recent trip to Riviera Maya.

I would like to share with you some comments in regards to your review:
With all respect, We consider our pools to be more than just plunge pools, since the smallest in our hotel is 30 ft. long and 115 ft2.

We are operating 107 Villas right now, 13 of them are located on the beach area and the rest are located over the lagoon, near the main building; we always have buggy service available to take our guests to and from the beach. Besides, we have the bikes option for those guests that enjoy to exercise.

We have taken note of your comment of the food, and you are right when you say that in the entire tropical area in the world you will always find mosquitoes; it is normal in this type of environment. We have a very professional team of Biologists who are always implementing strategies to keep the situation under control.

Reviewed November 27, 2009

Just returned from a trip from the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. It was amazing! I would recommend this resort to anyone. Best for couples as it is very romantic, and even though there were some families there I suggest do not go with children.

The Rooms:
The villas are spectacular, each has its own pool and they are very private. You will never hear another person around you as soon as you enter your villas space. They are VERY spacious. The A/C is great and keeps the room very cool. There are ipod docks in the room and in the bathroom and feel free to blast the music as we asked our neighbors if they could hear it and they said no. The pools are immaculate and clean and huge, they are no splash pool but almost a normal size pool. There are loungers and outdoor beds. A great table and chairs is also provided for in villa dining outside. The beds are incredibly comfortable. The lighting in the rooms is very "zen" and romantic. The outdoor bathtubs are so great, they are huge, and the bath salts, bubbles, and oils are a great addition along with the wall of candles. Everything about the room is great, one suggestion keep your safe closed and all of your belongings in there. If you leave it open and any "valuables" are left out in the room the maid service will put it in the safe and change the code on you. This means they will be in your safe touching your belongings so just a reminder keep it all locked up.

The Food
The food is amazing from the in room dining to the Sands at the beach for lunch to Saffron which was the absolute best Thai food I have ever eaten. The service at Saffron is spot on and I do not know what they could do to make it any better. Everything we ate there we kept saying "Oh my god this is so good! Amazing! MMMM" You must go here, we ate indoors and it was very romantic, but there is tons of outdoor seating which looked very romantic but we had enough of all the mosquitos. You will not be disappointed by any of the food at this hotel. All fabulous!

The Service
Sometimes slow when asking for ice to the room or trying to get a buggy to take you around but always pleasant and very helpful. No one ever had any kind of attitude and they are willing to do anything for you. The beach help is very nice and bring you tons of water cold towels and special drinks. Everyone is great.

The Spa
The spa will blow you away its like being in a different world I had a Balinese massage and it was so relaxing definitely reccommend having lots of treatments done. If i knew how great it was may have gone for more.

Overall the hotel is fabulous we are already planning on going back hopefully soon. It is incredibly safe Mayakoba's entrance blows you away, and its closeness to Playa del Carmen is great.

1  Thank krowenj
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President - Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2009

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba Family, we wish to thank you immensely for taking the time to convey information on us to the readers.

We were delighted to know that you have enjoyed your romantic stay.

In regards to the comment of the safe, let me please explain our policy. When our staff goes inside the villa and finds the safe deposit box left open and valuable outside the safe, they will call the manager on duty and place all values inside the safe and lock it, logically with another code, leaving a message behind.

We have taken note of the slow service when providing ice and pick up by buggy.

We wish to thank you very much for your preference and your kind comments which are the best distinguishing award an establishment can obtain.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon.

Warm Regards,