We just returned from the Banyan Tree Mayakoba where we traveled with our friends and family to celebrate our wedding. The service was excellent from the moment that we stepped off the plane at the airport. The car service provided by the hotel was excellent. I strongly recommed this as the taxi drivers at the Cancun airport are comically solicitous and it is a fair ride to the Mayakoba Reserve. We were provided with cold towels and ice water on arrival which was a nice touch as it was well into the 90's when we arrived. The check in process was very relaxing. We were provided with refreshments in the lounge as we waited for about all of 2 minutes for the staff to take care of the arrangements. We were given a quick tour of the main building to familiarize ourselves with the main part of the hotel before we were driven by golf cart to our room. Some people have mentioned that they have had issues with the buggy service but we were there for 10 days and were about as far away as you could get from the main building and there was only one time where we had to wait for more than 5 minutes from the moment we made the call to the desk and we used that service multiple times every day to go to breakfast and dinner. The bikes are a great touch.
The Food: Our biggest concern with having our wedding at any hotel was the quality of the food. The food at the hotel was excellent. Saffron was especially good and the food at Tamarind stacks up to places in NY as well. The sea bass was excellent at Tamarind. Also the breakfast spread was better than any comparable hotel with a nice mix of Asian and Mexican dishes that vary every day. There is also standard breakfast fare as well (omlette station, waffles, bagels, lox, etc.)
The Service: Impeccable. period.
The Property: Excellent layout of the property overall. An actual comment was "you cannot take a bad picture here" There are a lot of mentions of mosquitos and personally I never get bit so they really don't bother me but my wife gets killed by them NY let alone in the middle of an ecological park in Mexico but they didn't bother her any more than on any tropical location we have been too, so not really a big deal and they are only an issue at all for an hour at dusk. Anyway, if you don't like mosquitos a beach location anywhere in the Caribbean is probably not a good choice for you. I would suggest skiing in Colorado, the mosquito population there is pretty sparse in the winter.
Rooms: Let's see, 2Bdr, Infinity pool with jacuzzi: check, separate living room/ bar area: check, outdoor bath and shower: check, excellent design: check.
Yep, that works.
Spa: "Better than NYC" A big compliment comming from a person that to this day insists that the best pizza in the world just happens to be the on on the corner of her block where she grew up in NYC. (It's actually Little City Pizza in Simsbury, CT)
Value: Worth every penny
Sercive: Clearly a very well trained staff. They went to extraordinary levels to accommodate absolutely anything we needed. First rate. Every single person went far above and beyond what could have been asked. First of all, thank you for such a great time Pancho, Peter, (Jenny, Flo says sorry and she hopes Yoga went well), Mari Lu, Arturo, Raphael, Miguel, Abraham at the pool bar and let's see........
With all of the great things said above about this hotel there is one thing that stands out above all the others. That is Yvonne. Even with the excellent reviews on the web site, the pictures, the reputation of Banyan Tree in general, we would never have not had our wedding at the Banyan Tree if it was not for Yvonne. For comparison's sake we also looked at the Ritz in Grand Cayman and Amanyara in Turks and Caicos. We had visited the Ritz prior and my Sister and Brother in law checked out Amanyara in person. Due to Yvonne's unmatched professionalism and the fact that she was an absolute pleasure to deal with we decided on the Banyan Tree sight unseen. We were so glad that we did. We could not have asked for a better experience for our wedding. Everything was perfect, even the timing of the weather. (Yvonne, I'm sure you had something to do with that as well so, thank you.) We did not have a lot of time to dedicate to minor details like how many rose petals should be on a place setting or which direction the beach should be raked. As such, we really asked Yvonne to do a lot and she more than delivered. Need a photographer? done. entertainment? all set. Can you serve this specific type of tea that only grows above 9,000 ft in the Himalayas? "We'll send someone right over, he'll be back in 20 minutes" (Kidding there, but you get the idea) Yvonne, above all thank you for taking the stress out of planning a wedding and making it an absolutely perfect day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba is a site of almost mythical beauty. It flawlessly blends elegance and nature, taking the Caribbean lifestyle to an unprecedented new height. A breathtaking getaway for relaxation, rejuvenation, romance and world-class dining, it is also the region's most sustainable five-star resort. With its revitalized culinary concepts, Thai-inspired therapies at the Banyan Tree Spa, 14 event-venues and the Greg Norman signature 18- hole El Camaleon golf course, home to the PGA Tour Mayakoba Classic, the resort raises the bar for premium leisure options and event planning. Perfect for private getaways, family trips and group events, the Banyan Tree Mayakoba offers 118 villas, ranging from romantic Bliss and Serenity Pool Villas to Family Residences and Ocean Front Villas. All include outdoor areas with private pools and terraces. Inspired by the interior courtyards of houses in the Far East, each villa is discreetly built to blend with the landscape, integrating the interiors and their idyllic surroundings. East meets West in every subtle detail, from the fragrance of flowers encircling your villa, to the softness of a kimono, fine linens and essential oils on your skin. Here, even world-weary guests discover the eloquence of tranquility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Banyan Tree Mayakoba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico