“WOW - where to start?”

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Ranked #2 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 7, 2009

The Banyan Tree Mayakoba is absolutely the place to go to be pampered and feel relaxed! We travel quite a bit (about two trips a year, out of the country) and although we have never stayed at a place of this caliber; we have stayed at some really nice resorts. The staff at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba get everything right. I would have to say that their service is the best thing about staying here. We would like to give a special thank you to Guadalupe, our hostess; Juan and Reuben, greeters and drivers, and Pang, my masseuse.
From the moment we arrived in a flurry of luggage and stress, we were assured "Not to worry about a thing, we've got everthing under control". And they did.
I won't go on and on about every little detail because everyone else has done a fine job of describing the beauty and specialness of this place but I do want to give you some of our highlights:
*Breakfast/brunch is amazing
*Rooms are gorgeous, private and comfortable (walkiing into your room to check-in with the calming music playing and the oil burner wafting out a lovely aroma is the one of the many ways you are assured you are going to have a wonderful, relaxing experience)
*Massage was glorious (traditional Thai massage)
*Saffron was delicious
*Staff was friendly and accomadating (you can tell the staff really enjoys their job and really want you to have a wonderful time)
*Fresh, cold, lemon-smelling towels when you arrive, while you're sunning and after meals (this was one of our favorite parts, silly as it sounds!)

I truly can't say enough about the cusomer service we experienced. Any resort can be beautiful and have great food but if the service is lacking, it marks your expierence with a negative feeling. And the opposite it true - you can have a bad meal(which we did not) but if the service is exceptional, you will forget all about the overcooked noodles and too salty sauce.

I only have a couple bits of advice:
One, the tipping should be explained by the hostess or in your resort guide. No one else has mentioned this so maybe we were the only ones a little confused. All checks have a 15% gratuity included which is fine. The first time we didn't realize this and tipped an extra 20% on top of the 15%. No big deal. When we had our complimentary breakfast every morning and a complimentary massage, we weren't sure whether tip was included or not and it was embarrassing to have to ask our hostess Guadelupe. Yes, when you recieve a complimentary service, the resort includes a 15% tip for the staff which is terrific and then you only need to decide what you want to tip above and beyond that. Also, I think it is important to know that the staff in the area you're in (pool, restaraunt, etc.) all share the 15% tips. I believe what you tip over the 15% amount goes directly to the person assisting you (at least this is the way it was with the massage). This is a great way to do business and to assure that the costumer service level stays high. Everone needs to do their part because if they don't, their co-workers will be sure to remind them they need to earn their part of the tip.
My second thought is that even though the private pool by our room was a lovely temperature most of the tiime, it would have been great to have a pool heater. The water in the evening and at night tended to be really chilly.
Thirdly, it would be heaven if the villa's outside bathtubs had bath pillows or rounded edges. The bath is so inviting, you want to spend a lot of time in it but the interior edges are sharp and really hurt your neck.
It would also be nice if they would provide the same chair covers as those on the beach for the beach loungers beside your villa's pool. The canvas covering is quite scratchy and hard and a towel covering would quickly remedy this.
Lastly, the oil and incense scents they were burning in our room and all over the resort were not available in the gift shop nor would they be available for quite some time. It seems as though this is a huge error in their business judgement. You really want to cash in on people's impulse to buy. We really wanted one of the oils (lemon grass) and one of the incense scents (night queen) and they were unavailable. We probably would have paid the rather high cost for them while we were at the resort but now that are home it seems a little exorborant.

I want to say that none of these little things diminished our positive feelings about our stay in any way but wanted to mention them since I've noticed that management does read these reviews.

I said I wasn't going to go on and on but I guess I have any way. If you have the chance to go to the Banyan Tree Mayakoba - go! You won't be disapointed.

Thanks again to the wonderful staff. Even though we own a timeshare, we're already trying to figure out a way to come back. We'd love to do as Juan suggested when we left, "Why not come back for Christmas?"

3  Thank Zion76
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President / Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2009

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the team at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, we wish to thank you for your gracious comments about our resort, food, spa and associates.

It is always a great pleasure to read through notes such as yours, for they serve as an inspiration to help us in our continued commitment to maintain the high standards you have experienced.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon.

Area General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,173)

Reviewed November 5, 2009

Had opted to book the current promotion "50% off the best of banyan tree" which related to courtyard pool villa, breakfast for 2 each day, one dinner plus pre-dinner drinks for 2, plus a massage. I went to book via their website and once I typed in the dates we wanted in October, the website told me that the courtyard villas were not available for those dates tho' a garden pool villa was. I therefore proceeded to book. On arrival at the hotel, I was told that our booking did not include the dinner plus pre-dinner drinks for 2 which I was surprised at, as I had assumed that we had booked the offer as per the website with the only difference being that we had been allocated a garden villa instead of a courtyard villa . However as I had nothing in writing to confirm that we were expecting to have dinner on one night included - there was nothing I could do. I found this misleading and it was pointed out to management.

That said, we were not disappointed with the garden villa. It was spacious (as others have noted) and in all honesty we would not have needed any more space inside or out. The pool was great - big enough to swim in and the water was a nice temperature so it was pleasant to be in - which is so often not the case with private hotel pools.

I loved the peace and quiet of the place. No car sounds - no dogs barking in the distance - no noisy neighbours. Just silence.

The first day we just lazed around in our private garden and sunbathed on the large comfortable loungers or headed to the large shaded day bed if it was too hot. For lunch we cycled down to the Sands beach bar. Great to have the bikes. We asked for them as soon as we arrived the first evening and we were told there was a waiting list - but two bikes were waiting for us when we headed off to breakfast the first morning. Cocktails and lunch at Sands were lovely. Mexican food, salads or club sandwiches with fries - all nice. In the afternoon, a well located hammock outside our bedroom door offered a delightful spot to read/doze.

It was very hot the second day so we cycled down to the beach again in the morning and got loungers around the pool. the sea breeze made it very pleasant. Service around the pool was excellent.

We ate at Tamarind the first and last nights. Food was nice. Seats at tables were wrong height for me so had to sit on a couple of cushions to be at comfortable height for eating. Service was great first night but a bit Faulty Towers the last night. On the second evening we ate at Saffron and that was very enjoyable. Dark and romantic setting - good service and nice menu.

As others have raved - breakfast here is wonderful. Fabulous choice and everything looked and tasted delicous - only wish I could have eaten more!

The free 90 minute massage was very good indeed. I thought it would only last 1 hour plus extra time for pre/post relaxing but it did last the full 90 minutes. The masseuse was delightful and even tho' I wasn't in the slightest stressed - I left the spa feeling so much more relaxed.

They have definitely got just about everything right here. The Garden Villa we were in was really amazing value for the space, privacy and quality. Some of the service was a little erratic (tho' incredibly polite and and pleasant) and maybe a little more training needs to be done re the wine pourers (we had to wrestle the red wine off a waiter who wanted to put it in the wine chiller with the water!). But I must stress these are very minor points. ( My only other niggle was the cereal spoons at breakfast which were very trendy but not very practical for putting in your mouth and extracting food from them!)

To sum up - I would happily go back to BT and would certainly have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. I am so glad we stayed there. It was delightful

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dee090

Dear Value Guest,

We wish to thank you for taking the time to share with us your gracious comments, which definitely allow us to improve our service.

Please accept our apology if the information posted at the Web seems confused. The promotional rate you mentioned with the dinner included, only applies for the Courtyard Villa category, as mentioned on the web.

I am glad to know your stay with us was enjoyable.

Reviewed November 2, 2009

OK, so I generally don't like to write reviews after taking trips abroad, but after my spouse and I traveled to the Banyan Tree Mayakoba, we felt compelled to get on our laptops to sing the hotels praises.

This place is truly one of a kind. The service is EXCEPTIONAL- topped only by the scenery. Everywhere you look, the hotel offers breathtaking views- from the natural surroundings, to the architectural details- Banyan is world class, taken to the nth degree.

I would not recommend this hotel for those looking to party and have a rowdy time. It's really serene- amazingly relaxing, and you can't help but feel a sense of overwhelming calm when you are here.

The staff are all incredibly kind, and will go out of their way to help you. From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave, the folks here will jump through hoops to make your stay memorable. I have to say that after my stay, I went online to see where the other Banyan Tree locations were. Whoever oversees this hotel chain is definitely doing something right

Dear Value Guest,

On behalf of Banyan Tree Mayakoba family we wish to express our deep gratitude to you for making an exception and for taking the time to share your experience with others.

We are very conscious that we have created a wonderful “Sanctuary for the Senses” and it could not be perfect without the professional team who is totally committed to deliver the finest service and most genuine care to our guest.

We are more than happy to know that your stay with us has been so enjoyable to deserve your preference and recommendation.

We look forward to hosting you soon at Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Reviewed October 30, 2009

I just couldn't label it diferently, its the best i've ever been...
I had all ready stayed in a Banyan tree in Bangkok so i knew the chain but this was not even close to my expectations... the first thing i realized was that the pictures in the web site do no justice to the Resort, i was staying in the smallest room (garden pool Villa) and is worth mentioning the humongous size of the villa, you go in through one door to enter a small garden with your own private pool (right outside your bedroom window, so we just jumped in every morning). at the right side you had a small terrace in which you could spend time reading in your own private villa, and to the left was the room, as you walked in, you could see the 6 meter tall (19 feet) bedroom with a beautiful head rest for the bed made all of wood with metal finishes, in front and to the left of the bed you have a full size window which conect to the private pool...

to the other side of the room you have the bathroom with anotehr private hot tub, this is closed and private but open air again...

the resto of the hotel is absolutely wonderfull the architecthure has some very interesting asian touch but with a contemporary influence, very interesting indeed..

and as other of the reviews said our only problem was the food... every restaurant has different kind of food but absolutely everything is very "gourmet" and for some reason we like eating more regular food (like a regular cheese burger, or a hot dog or something) but they serve mainly very exotic and gourmet meals... the breakfast was the absolute best by very much (if you go ask for they to be included is the best!!!) we ate breakfast everyday and enjoyed it very very much, this was a very extense experience with noodles and other food they serve in asia but they also have a lot of american an mexican dishes which can be prepared at the moment...

my final decision you have to go at least once... even if its to expensive go there im sure you will enjoy it

Rg...

3  Thank Yzigarza

Dear Value Guest,

We wish to thank you very much for taking the time to share with other your experience with such careful detail at Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

The design of the hotel was perfectly mixed with the magical environment of Mayakoba to create a relaxed atmosphere that allows experiencing the very best sensations with all senses. We are delighted to know you have quite enjoyed this experience.

Reviewed October 30, 2009

My husband and I booked our trip to Banyan Tree to celebrate our 1 year anniversary and OMG - it was the most amazing place we have ever been. We love to travel and stay at different hotels and this was by far the nicest.

The service is what stood out the most. Housekeeping/restaurant staff/bar and pool staff were ALWAYS available to assist you with whatever you needed. A Special thanks to Jorge - he was my BEST friend by the pools and every time we would turn around, someone was handing us a cold wet towel or a little treat!!

Can not wait to go back - our private little sanctuary in Mexico.........

1  Thank sherber22

Dear Value Guest,

When thinking of the expansion in the Americas, Banyan Tree Hotels and Resorts had the great challenge of creating an Asian atmosphere into the mysticism of the Mayan culture. Reading through your kind comments we can now be positive that all our efforts have been worthwhile.

We are so happy we had the pleasure of celebrating your first wedding anniversary, and we wish to have the opportunity of celebrating together many more.

Reviewed October 25, 2009

My wife and I can't say enough about our recent stay at Banyan Tree Mayakoba. It is by far the best hotel/resort we've been to and we highly recommend it to anyone wanting to getaway and/or spend their honeymoon (which we did!). Great staff, wonderful amenities and facilities, amazing spa and beach. Much better than Cancun. In addition, there are lot's of things to do in nearby Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Xel-Ha, Xcaret, and Tulum. And our dinner at Tamarind restaurant was by far the best meal we had during our trip... just amazing. Because of our wonderful experience here, my wife and I hope to visit every Banyan Tree resort around the world! Thanks to Banyan Tree staff again, they were wonderful!

Dear Value Guest,

We wish to thank you very much for taking the time to share with others your experience at Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Even when we consider Banyan Tree Mayakoba a “Sanctuary for the Senses”, Yucatan Peninsula allows you to explore many different and interesting places such as archaeological sites, ecological parks, shopping malls, etc. which offer you a perfect getaway.

We are happy to know you have enjoyed your honeymoon at Banyan Tree Mayakoba and the Yucatan Peninsula.

Reviewed October 24, 2009

What can I possibly say that would do this slice of heaven justice? Sounding too effusive is going to be my problem, but I assure you, every word is earned and justified. My husband and I travel the world looking for incredible experiences, and we found the best one right in our backyard. We live in Isla Mujeres, a quick trip up the coast, and go to Banyan Tree for every "special occasion" we can rightfully drum up. From the instant you enter the Mayakoba complex, you know that you have landed on a special planet. The rest of the world simply melts away. Winding along an elaborately gorgeous cobblestone road through dense jungle, you glimpse occasional slices of a blinding green golf course meandering softly towards the oceanfront: golfers will be beside themselves. Pulling up to the front of Banyan Tree is a magical experience within itself: I must stress that the staff of this hotel is beyond amazing, unlike any we have ever encountered. Not dutiful, but instead full of personality, individuality, class and warmth. Friendly smiles walk you inside to a view that will take your breath away: an open lobby complex feels more like the (large and crazy) home of your dreams, finished to perfection with sculpture and tastefully appointed furniture which is straight-up Architectural Digest-meets-the-Yucatan, mosaic-tile floors, soft perfect music (often a live acoustic trio), and an African Queen-inspired electric boat waiting to whisk you to your villa.

Oh, the villas..... we have stayed in both 301 and 702. Try to reserve one with a pavilion, which is like an unattached den, connected to the main bedroom by a covered walkway, divided by the pool. The rooms.... WOW. Floor-to-ceiling windows overlook your private pool and exotic private garden. Sliding doors from your bedroom lead you right into the pool. Slate floors are warmed by thick, comfy tibetan wool runners. The bathroom, arranged in a circular formation, features a steam shower, his-and-hers vanities divided by a giant round mirror, a tiled outdoor bathtub backed by a wall of candles (lit for you, of course, magically by the invisible staff when you go to dinner), and yummy toiletries. I am a big sound/smell girl, and two of my favorite aspects of the rooms are the house CDs (four of them) which are playing softly every time you enter the room (there are also three iPod docks), and the zen-like combo of Banyan Tree's incense and essential oil lamps (they are always sold out at the gift shop if that tells you anything). Every last detail has been thought through in the rooms.

When you can manage the heartbreak of leaving your room, hop on your bicycle and meander to the beach, for a truly luxurious (but always down-to-earth and warm) treatment at the beach club. Order the grouper ceviche and shrimp tacos along with whatever kind of exotic cocktail they've dreamed up that day. The restaurants at Banyan Tree do not disappoint: they combine a harmonious marriage of Yucatan cuisine and Thai/asian yumminess. Definitely eat at Saffron, and - as tacky as this may sound - bring your camera to take pictures of the breakfast spread in the main pavilion, as no one will ever believe you if you try to describe it.

More about the staff: they remember us when we return, they sit down and converse with us, and they TRULY LOVE their jobs. Every last one of them says something to the effect of, "working here is not like work." Whoever hires the staff here is a genius at choosing people who are at once attentive and laid-back in the most complimentary, perfect sense. Last time we arrived by helicopter and landed on the beach without telling anyone we were going to do it. It caused quite a scene, but one of bemusement and heartfelt welcome, as if they see that kind of thing daily.

I just about cry every time I leave Banyan Tree. Every time we leave we are plotting our next trip. I am in love with this place like no other.

A few other cosas:
- this is, in spite of being ridiculously romantic, quite a nice place to bring kids. The layout of villas and public space is so private, you can hear a pin drop. But we are planning to bring our son soon, as it is extremely welcoming to families.
- the staff all knew that it was our anniversary on our last visit and never ceased to surprise us with rose-petal greetings on our bed, complimentary desserts, and well-wishes
- if you are after extreme privacy, this is your place. If I were the most famous celebrity, this is where I would escape. People here are cool and respectful.
-the spa is simply world-class. They are #1 in the world. Be sure to find out why. It's too much to try to explain in words.

This is my love letter to my favorite hotel. Nothing is left to say. Go, go, go. There is nowhere else that can compare to Banyan Tree.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank IslaIxchel

Dear Value Guest,

We have no words to express our gratitude for taking the time for sharing so lovely comments in regards to your stay at Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Our commitment grows every time we read throughout notes such like yours, and we are delighted to count yourself as another repeat guest in Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

The Banyan Tree family is pleased to know that, so far, we have accomplished our goal of making this place a real “Sanctuary for the Senses” for you.