“Banyan vs Rosewood, too close to call”

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Ranked #3 of 216 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Overall
If you are looking for privacy, huge rooms and quite relaxation this is your place. If you are looking to party, you should go elsewhere. The physical beauty of the rivers is prettier at rosewood, but the rooms are better at Banyan. The spa center is better at Rosewood, but the actual treatments are better at banyan. Both beach pool areas are great but banyans is slightly more exclusive. Getting around Banyan is much easier and fun because they give you bikes. Transportation to and from the hotel is better at rosewood, nicer cars and better drivers, but both are too expensive and you can get a round trip in a similar suv for 100 less if you check online. The service at both hotels have some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Banyan is more zen and rosewood is more fun and party.
Room. garden pool villa, amazing, huge and private, only knocks is that we could never get the room cold enough and a table in the room would have been nice. Also the TV is in a very bad location and if you can't sleep with any light in the room definitely bring a night mask.
Suggestion. ask for 2 keys when you check in that way you can use one of them to keep your room cold.
Food. Saffron was the best thai ever, eat there every night. Room service was good, but everywhere else we were disappointed in the food. All the alcohol drinks were well made. If you are a cigar smoker, u will need to go to Rosewood to get one.
Spa. This is one of my biggest complaints about the resort. The exercise room is way too small, it needs to be at least 4 times bigger. The resort felt like it was empty but we could never get a cardio machine in the morning. They have six therapists from Thailand and this is one of the resorts biggest assets. Amazing massages.
Besides the gym, my biggest suggestion is that you add some fun to the place. The american traveler is different from the asian traveler in that, while we also like to relax, we like to be entertained or let loose as well. The nightlife at banyan is non existant and there is really nothing for kids to do but go to the beach. It would have been nice if they had some water toys on the beach and at night they need some excitment, like karoke or tequila tasting or more exciting band than the harpist. For 300 a night this is as good an amazing deal. with a little tweaking banyan would be the best

8  Thank CDUB212121
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President / Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2009

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba family, we wish to thank you for your gracious comments, and for taking the time to provide a very detailed analysis between the different options offered by us and our neighbor Rosewood.

As you know Rosewood and Banyan Tree both belong to this unique and magic integrated resort which is Mayakoba, and my good friends of the Rosewood and myself, will always be pleased to host our valuable Mayakoba guests.

I am glad you have enjoyed your stay with us and so enjoyed dinner at Saffron. We have taken note of your comments regarding the different outlets.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon.

Area General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,222)

Reviewed October 18, 2009

We had such a good time in this amazing hotel located in the beautiful Mayakoba reserve in the Riviera Maya.....The hotel was mostly for ourselves, we were a group of 23 people. The staff was very courteous, friendly and polite ALL the time. The breakfast is amazing...healthy, delicious, with lots of alternatives, including some mexican specialties.
The spa its soooooooo beautiful..It has the rainforest area which I would recommend to visit and enjoy.The therapists are mostly from Thailand, which makes the experience something different. (It's not the typical swedish massage...it has an oriental touch...)
The rooms are soooooooo beautiful that you don't want to get out of there. Each villa has its own spacious pool and that's a feature I believe no other hotel in this area has. The rooms are also well equiped and super clean. We had dinner in their signature restaurant Saffron. Their Thai menu its delicious, my compliments to the chefs. Also the food in the beach club Sands is really good.
Our special thanks to Yvonne, Cynthia, Ian, and all the staff at Sands (they were all very special to us...)
Overall an unforgettable experience...would go back TOMORROW if I could...Of course I'll go back to this hotel, hopefully very soon.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank lucky13miami

Dear Guest,

Yvonne, Cynthia, Ian, the entire team of Banyan Tree Mayakoba and I wish to thank you immensely for your gracious comments, and for sharing your feedback with others.

Our Banyan Tree Spa and Saffron Restaurant are the distinctive touches in all Banyan Tree properties, but we have the belief that it is our team who makes this experience so unique.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon.

Reviewed October 12, 2009

I've never written a review, but the whole reason i signed up for traveladvisor was so that I could write a review for Banyan Tree Mayakoba. I don't know how I can put into words what an amazing experience we had at the Banyan Tree. I have traveled a lot throughout Europe & Asia and have never experienced anything quite like this. The resort itself is amazing. The villa, private pools, outdoor bathtubs. I could go on & on. However the thing that sets this resort apart from all others is the staff!!!

Oftentimes I think we become so jaded with bad customer service that if someone even does their job we're surprised. At Banyan Tree, the staff obviously took pride in their job and was happy to help you with anything. It's almost like they anticipated your needs. Claudia & Ligia in guest services were incredible. My husband needed to get a prescription filled and somehow they found the medication & magically had it delivered to our room.

I could go on and on about this resort. Just know that paradise is a short flight away. You'll think you're staying at some magical, luxurious resort in Thailand. Not that I don't love Mexico, but honestly a few times I forgot I was in Mexico and not Thailand! I got misty eyed when we had to leave. It's not just a vacation, it's an experience! Thank you to everyone at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba for making our stay unforgettable.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kikislc

Dear Guest,

Every time I take a look at Trip Advisor and find comments like yours, I have mixed feelings, one is a great satisfaction and the second one is the increasing commitment we have with our future guests.

Thank you for letting us know we are fulfilling our primary goal of creating in America a “Sanctuary for the Senses” Asian style.

Reviewed October 8, 2009

WOW! I am in the hotel business and have travelled quite a bit staying at some of the best five star hotels in the world but this one takes the cake. When I say AMAZING it is an understatement. The resort is breathtaking and the level of service is something I have never experienced before..absolutely phenomenol. If there is one hotel you want to visit its definitely this one! You won't be dissapointed. We had plans to leave the resort and do several activities but we just could not bring ourselves to do so as the resort is so nice and we did not want to leave. As it is still new I can bet in the coming months we will hear a lot more about it as word gets out. I wouldn't doubt it if it comes to be ranked the top resort in north america!

2  Thank KPlex11
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President / Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2009

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba Family, we wish to thank you immensely for taking the time to convey information on us to the readers.

It is always a great pleasure to read through notes such as yours, especially when coming from someone who knows the Hospitality business so in detail, and that encourages us to try raising our standards to exceed expectations.

Reviewed October 5, 2009

I have been at the best resorts in the world, and this by far was the most superior. In fact, nothing else even gets close. I had read all the reviews and was very excited to visit, however, I had such high expectations that I was almost afraid that I would be disappointed. We could not have been more in awe. My husband and I are big golfers and we brought our clubs to golf at Mayakoba. They never saw the light of day. We fell so in love with our villa that we never wanted to leave. Other than breakfast and dinner, we were in our villa ALL day. We stayed in a spa villa and I cannot even begin to describe how amazing it was. The pool was huge and the jacuzzi was great and used every night.

The architects of this truly special and unique place thought of everything. Even down to the exact angles of the layout of the villas. We spent a lot of time not completely clothed and there was no way that the villas beside us could see us. Other than the periodic boat going by, it was so secluded. And the natural surrounding beauty was breathtaking.

The bedroom, bathroom, outside showers (2), outside bathtub, steam room and extra living room villa could not have been any more elegant. They literally thought of everything. From the i-phone/pod players, incense, coffee maker, tea, fabulous lighting both inside and out, fresh fruit, fresh flowers, etc., I could keep going forever.

The food was amazing. The breakfast in the morning was fantastic and HUGE. Anything you could ever want is there. And they change it every day. We had dinner at Safron which was excellent. We also tried the BBQ by the pool and that was great as well.

When we did venture out we used the bikes and had a great time. It was such a unique offering they provided. We loved it. It was a great way to see the beautiful surroundings/landscaping of the resort.

I saved the best for last - The service was impecible. They MAKE SURE that you have everything you need or want. Every employee that we dealt with went out of their way for us. It was my birthday and they gave me the most beautiful roses and brought me a beautiful b-day cake that looked so beautiful I didn't want to eat it. The massages my husband and I had were over the top. Never had a better massage anywhere in the world.

What makes a 5 star hotel really stand out, are the little things. The Banyan Tree has it down. Accomodations, food and service is perfection at it's best. It truly doesn't get any better than this. It is not possible to be disappointed in this amazing resort.

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer any additional questions. Feel free to email me at: vandenavond1@comcast.net

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank VandenAvond

Dear guest,

We don’t have words to express our gratitude for such comments about your recent stay with us.

After reading such positive feedback, we would like to ensure you that we remain humble and will keep working hard in order to improve day by day to make sure we don’t disappoint future guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2009

This place is THE most beautiful place I've ever been to...from the ambiance to the staff.. I feel so lucky to be here so much so that Im lucky enough to still be here in my villa at the Mayakoba typing this.. I couldnt wait to get home to write a review ..that s just how amazing this place is!!! My boyfriend surprised me for my birthday by bringing me here and hate to sound sappy but tears just rolled down my face because it is so breathtaking here! The staff is incredible! The villas are such that you just dont want to leave.... We are so amazed by this place that we are actually going to save some money aside so that we can come here every year! No words or pictures can describe just how beautiful it is here! I got a massage here earlier this afternoon and it s like none I ve ever had... They treat you like you are the queen and king of this throne! Thank God I got to experience this! I will def be back I pray that its soon! I'd love to meet the masterminds behind this lovely place!

1  Thank r24vp

Dear guest,

We are pleased to know that your stay with us makes your celebration a unique event.

On behalf of Banyan Tree Mayakoba family, we hope this event has become the beginning of a very special year and we deeply appreciate you allow us to be part of it.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2009

We have found an excellent and well-developed Luxury Resort Concept from South East Asia delivered through remarkably warm hearted / friendly staff in Mexico. We were impressed with the eco-friendly overall concept of Mayakoba and specifically at the Banyan Tree. We very much liked the breath-taking resort architecture including the spacious villa layout with every villa having a private pool.

We found excellent Thai and Mexican cuisine with a great sortiment of wines as well as passionate restaurant staff and chefs definately making our stay unforgettable.

It is very rare, but we experienced that literally every member of staff naturally possessed and displayed a great deal of warmth and provided an exceptionally high level of customer focus and service.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

All members of Banyan Tree Mayakoba family have enjoyed your interesting comments in regards to our Hotel, facilities and personal service.

We are very proud of the professionalism and engagement of our associates that allows us to think and go one step further

We are very pleased to know that you have enjoyed our selection of wines. Should you have any suggestion to add to this selection, please give us the opportunity to delight you next visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon.