“Amazing Hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Baltimore
“Amazing Hotel”
Reviewed August 19, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights and found the Banyan Tree to be an amazing hotel. We had a courtyard pool villa and it was very spacious with a large pool and very private with plenty of room to lounge by the pool or in the shade on the day bed and hammock. The service at the Banyan Tree is what really stands out from anywhere else I have stayed in Asia, Australia and Europe. The staff did absolutely everything they could to make your stay enjoyable and were always nearby should we need anything. I would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to get away and relax in an amazing luxury resort.

A couple of other things to mention are that we both had a 3 hour spa treatment that was also amazingingly wonderful and also the private villa BBQ one night which I highly recommend.

1 Thank gilbertroad3079
BanyanTreeGroup, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, August 24, 2009
Dear valued guest,

The Banyan Tree Mayakoba family appreciates your kind comments in regards of the care we take for our guests. We are convinced that there is nothing else we can enjoy more than doing and providing everything for your unforgettable stay with us.

We also appreciate you took the time for sharing your impressions with others and recommend our property.

Area General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
dublin, ca
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Amazing, astounding, gorgeous hotel I’ve very limited time to write reviews but this time I’ll take the time because this place is the PLACE. If you are thinking in Playa del Carmen this is the place to go no questions asked we had a look at many of the top hotels, Mandarin, Velas, RoseWood, Fairmont etc and by far this is the best of the best in every category, service, luxury, amenities, etc the staff is open to walk the extra mile for you in any request.

Is pricy yes but is worth it every single penny if you are thinking in saving 50 or 100 per night using another hotel please don’t, you won’t regret it and if you play golf you have to play this course is PGA course.

Ask for the boat tour which happens at 11 am Tuesdays and Thursdays and the pampering service at sands (beach pool)

2 Thank al740739
BanyanTreeMayakoba, Vice President / Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, September 22, 2009
Dear guest,

We thank you immensely for making this exception and taking the time to share those gracious comments with other users.

The Banyan Tree Mayakoba family is pleased to know that the genuine pampering we provide to our guests is well appreciated and recognized.

New York, NY
Reviewed August 19, 2009

My boyfriend and I have traveled to Playa del Carmen/Riviera Maya approximately 6 times in the last 2 years so we know this area pretty well. The last time we came here, we stayed at the Rosewood (also in the Mayakoba) and we thought it couldn't get any better. We initially thought about staying at the Rosewood again, but decided to stay at the newly opened Banyan Tree to try something different. We really didn't think it could get much better than the Rosewood - boy were we wrong. Both resorts are 5-star and you can't go wrong staying at either place, but the Banyan Tree is just a step above.

The villas - One of the main differences between the villas at the Rosewood and the Banyan Tree are the private pools that accompany each villa. The pool at the Rosewood is small and is not that inviting. The private pool with our villa was a HUGE endless pool that was surrounded by beautiful landscaping and several lounging areas. Some of the villas come with a hot tub which I would highly recommend you upgrade to. It's just nice to come home from dinner or a day at the beach and soak in the hot tub.

The food at the Banyan Tree is excellent. The main restaurant, called Saffron, serves Thai food and they have actually staffed world class chefs, restaurant managers, waitresses from Thailand so it feels like a truly authentic experience. The restaurant itself is so beautiful and romantic. There are 3 main seating areas, 2 outdoor and 1 indoor if you would rather sit in air conditioning. I recommend sitting outdoor overtop the lagoon. It just creates an unforgettable dining experience. We couldn't get enough of the food from Tamarind, the hotel's other main restaurant. Our first night there, we had the pleasure of meeting Christian Roth, the Food and Beverage director of Tamarind and the hotel bar, La Copa. He set up a special tasting menu for us with fantastic wines from Mexico. We rated it as one of the top meals we have ever had (almost better than Laserre in Paris!). We loved it so much that we even had dinner at Tamarind a second night with Christian. We had friends in town so he set up a beautiful dinner for us in their private banquet room called La Cava (where they served the president of Mexico when he attended the opening of the hotel) which is room where they also store their wines. We were treated with a brand new tasting menu with specially selected wines from Christian. Needless to say, it was amazing!

Spa - The spa at Rosewood doesn't even compare to the spa at the Banyan Tree. And before the Rosewood, I didn't think I could ever find a nicer spa. The service is unbelievable. We scheduled a swedish and balinese massage. In addition to our massages, they give you a footbath, facial massage, head massage, and refreshments. Our 60 minute massage was 90 minutes of absolute bliss. We were tempted to go back for a second round the next day but didn't have time. They also have this amazing facility called the Rain Forest. We didn't have time to experience it, but we heard it is a must.

The staff - they remember who you are from the minute you walk in to the minute you walk out. Everywhere we went, we were greeted by name (they even remembered how to pronounce my name which no one ever does). They are above and beyond attentive. At one point while I was on the beach, I asked one of the attendants the time because I didn't have a watch and every time he saw me after, he would tell me the time. If they are that attentive about small things like this, imagine how they are about everything else.

I could go on and on about all of things I loved about the resort (the bikes they have for guests to ride around, the fresh fruit in your room each day, the outdoor bath area, the cold towels on the beach, the concierge that flawlessly set up my scuba certification) but this would get too long.

Unfortunately, we only spent 5 days at this resort. If you have the time, stay for as long as possible. You will not regret it!! We're already trying to figure out when we can come back.

2 Thank atn107
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President / Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, September 28, 2009
Dear guest,

On behalf of Banyan Tree Mayakoba family, we wish you to know how much we appreciate your valuable and gracious comments.

Since we first opened our doors to our guests, we only have had one purpose in mind, to provide an authentic “Sanctuary for the Senses” for our guests and offer to all of you a unique space for having a getaway.

Comments like yours endorse the belief that our efforts are well directed to achieve our main aim, provide to our guests a unique, different and memorable experience.

Mty
Reviewed August 10, 2009

An outstanding welcome with a monumental lobby , followed by a wonderful service oriented crew , great food and outstanding scenes. The kids had the experience of a lifetime and the adults had a relaxing massage provided by thai experts.
Definetly one of the best places in the world.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MartinMty
BanyanTreeGroup, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, August 16, 2009
Dear valued guest,

We thank you immensely for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and wish to thank you very much for your gracious comments.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Extremely exceptional resort that is truly amazing in terms of service, facilities, and amenities. Probably the best hotel/resort we have stayed, and we've been to the usual Four Seasons, Mandalay Orientals, and Ritz Carltons. Also the best massage that I've ever received.

Few things that you should know however:

Food inside the resort is very costly. Expect about $60-100 per person for decent meal with all charges & fees added. We opted to go out to town for dinners because of price in resort. If you can book a packaged deal that includes breakfast ($50 per person) and maybe some resort credits it may ease the shock.

Unless you book a 2 or 3 bedroom villas ($$$$) on the beach most of the standard one bedroom villas are about 15 minute buggy ride away from the beach ... NOT a walking distance! If you are looking for a place where you can simply walk out onto the beach from your room you will be disappointed. Regardless because of the sheer beauty of the place I can easily overlook this inconvenience.

Except for the fact that I thought the food was WAY overpriced, this resort is top notch. The staff is very accommodating and helpful, and I cannot say enough good things about them.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank world_is_not_my_home
Dear valued guest,

On behalf of the team at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, we wish to thank you for your gracious comments about our staff, service, facilities, and amenities, particularly the spa and food service.

We also wish to thank you for sharing your experience and impressions with others.

Your comments with regards to the food pricing and value have been passed on to our F&B Director for his review.

Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed August 4, 2009

what can i say that hasn't already been said about this place? it's truly a one of a kind place in the riviera maya. being in the mayakoba complex it has similarities to the other resorts of the complex. banyan tree like the others are not all inclusive and pays close attention to the ecology of the land. they have tried to preserve as much of the natural area as possible. the architecture and decor far surpasses any of the other mayakoba resorts. it is zen without feeling cold which sometimes can be a hard thing to do. throughout the resort there are numerous large scale light fixtures as well as old asian antiques. the overall effect is one of perfection.
the service is also outstanding, not to say the other resorts lack in service but there's something personable about the way they treated us. we felt like we were welcomed into somebodys home-somebodys great BIG home. you can give great service but exceptional service comes with warmth and genuinity. everyday at the beach we were met with the entire sands staff welcoming us. we enjoyed refreshing little treats throughout the day. one of the few hotels where bottled water was complimentary and constantly being replenished. the beach bar is probably one of the best ive seen. bars where you can stand and order your drink from within the pool is quite common nowadays but one with such close proximity to the beach is not common. you can order your drink, sit and enjoy the view of the ocean all the while still being in the pool. awesome! jorge, ricardo and the entire sands staff worked so hard everyday and we thank them for taking care of us! we even received a wonderful rejuvenating massage treatment on the beach from them.
the amenities in the rooms are great. and all the extras are a very nice touch. i enjoyed my in house slippers very much. they have slippers at all hotels but these were just so pretty and color coordinated for his and hers, now thats unique! thats exactly whats great about banyan tree everything is so unique and done so tastefully. thats what i love about great hotels they take the time to make the simplest thing different and unique. i wont bore you with a lengthy review of everything that has already been posted. i just want to say that this place is very special and if they continue treating their guests as well as they have they will soon be one of the great resorts in the riviera maya.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jshien
BanyanTreeGroup, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, August 10, 2009
Dear guest,

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba family, it gives us great satisfaction to know that the hospitality provided has been appreciated.

We wish to thank you for sharing your experience with others and to wish to express our great joy to know that our mission was accomplished during your stay.

www.banyantree.com
UK
Reviewed July 31, 2009

I have just returned from an eleven day stay at the BT Mayakoba, travelling with my wife and four kids, we are seasoned five and six star travellers with the usual bunch of Four Seasons,One and Only and Ritz Carlton scalps...

The BT has got a huge amount going for it, it also needs a bit more polish in one or two areas that if addressed will make the experience truely outstanding.

We had booked two sunrise villas, and when I enquired about possible deals on offer I was unexpectedly offered upgrades to two sunset villas on the beach peninsula at no increase in costs. The hotel was only 20% occupied so you can shop for offers whilst they get over the combination of the Banking crisis (real issue) Swine flu(not an issue) and getting their name out there for a new property( I am sure next year will be different)

Arrival and meet and greet was good , rooms are large and stylish , very private and well equipped. We particularly liked the large separate annexe room or as we called it the chill out room, as during the middle of the day at top temps it was a haven with a large day bed that all of us could lie on.

The staff are absolutely fantastic and a real credit to BT and themselves, always willing always on hand, and some of the very best we have ever encountered, make sure you appreciate them as they do make the difference.

The beach area is small but gets a great breeze off the ocean and when we were there was never crowded ( see above) however during peak times it will be a little cozy.
The main pool is a good one and on a couple of days we were the only ones there so service was superb, and of course you have your own pools which are large and very private.

Note the beach and beach villas are a good 10 mins from the main hotel, we ran one morning, but usually took the bikes to the Gym , cycled back and then all went to breakfast on the bikes again later- great fun and healthy!..alternatively book a buggy which never took more than 10 mins to come (again think about busy times) or the enjoyable boat , which takes 15 mins but was only running sporadicaly.

Lots of wildlife, some rather too exotic and the whole area was very secure.

We played golf three times on the local course, a great one and again the staff who are part of the Fairmont dropped us back to the hotel and were fantastic.

We hired a couple of cars from the company at the BT, and they were good quality, low mileage premium cars. The area outside Mayakoba is a little desolate if you are looking for the real Mexico, we travelled to Tullum and further to see the real sites but a few days is enough to get the picture. The peninsula is pretty boring overall and as we were trying it as a replacement to the hurricane damaged carribean where we normally summer, I am afraid it was a little short of interest.

So the areas that we think need some work:
Spray for mosquitos, we faced into the mangroves and the property was protected from the onshore breeze and got very hot and humid. We were rich meat for the mozzies, and were also regularly bitten in the restaurants and attacked on the golf course at around 4pm.

The gym need more aerobic kit, there are two step crosstrainers and two running machines , and a full weights cycle, however with four people in there unless you want to pump up your muscles it is very limited, also no earphones, cold towels or fresh juice which you would expect from a 5Star hotel.

The restaurants were limited, the food was excellent but on some nights only Tamarind was open, so whilst the resort was quiet you really need to have more choice. The beach bar was great but shut at 5pm and would have made a good alternative at least one evening, and the Thai Saffron is superb. Room service was good but the menu is far too limited to make it a real attraction beyond a couple of days. The solution we found was to ask for food off the restaurant menus and room service, which they obliged us with, and although a little longer to arrive we did get a better choice, I would suggest the hotel incorporates this into the normal room service menu.

So this resort has enormous potential, a quiet and modern haven once you are in the resort, staffed by superb , willing and attentive staff.

I am sure it will be the next big thing on the world's top hotels carousel

Enjoy whilst you can.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank TennersUk
BanyanTreeGroup, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, August 12, 2009
Dear guest,

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba family I wish to thank you deeply for the opportunity you have given to us staying with us during your holidays, and for your thoughtful comments about the areas where we must double our efforts.

We will take into account your suggestions on the availability of restaurants, menus, earphones and equipment for the gym, and will see to it that these shortcomings be amended in the shortest time possible.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon.