“Honeymoon”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago
“Honeymoon”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We went to the Banyan Tree for our honeymoon. It was a perfect experience and absolutely wonderful in every way. They really take the time to understand you and personalize their service to your preferences. My husband is an architect specializing in sustainability, and they even arranged for the social programs director to meet with my husband

Room Tip: We had a villa! It was spectacular! So beautiful!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

1 Thank Allisonr1023 R
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Ms. Allison:
Thank you for your wonderful review and for mentioning the personalized service by our staff. It is wonderful to know that you truly enjoyed your visit and that your husband had the opportunity to meet Paola and learn more about our initiatives for sustainability and social engagement within the local community.
Hoping to be welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakobá soon, I send you my warmest regards,
Michael Näther

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
St. George's
Reviewed June 28, 2014

The resort was amazing, beautiful rooms, great food and restaurant choices, the best part was the flawless service, the staff were fabulous ... Mexico is generally very humid so when you enter your spotless cool room, it's so refreshing. The buggy system used for getting to and from everywhere in the resort was super efficient. This resort is set in a very 'green' environment, and the river and eco-tour were very good. Perfect resort for relaxation and wellness. Would definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2014
BTMayakoba, Gerente at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Ms. Marielle A.:
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments, especially about our service and dedicated staff. We are very happy that you enjoyed the beauty of our resort as well as our restaurants and wellness offerings.
Please receive our warmest regards and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
Daly City, California, United States
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I was blessed that a client had put us up in this hotel for work. The private villas with private pools was amazing. It was awesome that you could open the sliding doors to the bedroom and jump right into the pool. The bathroom was also amazing. The bed was heavenly. Even though I was working most of the time, the room was amazing and I would love to come back here again!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Amy W
BTMayakoba, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Ms. Amy W:
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor! We are very pleased and happy to hear that you truly enjoyed the comfort and privacy of our villas. Hopefully we will soon have the opportunity to welcoming you back, be it for work or pleasure.
Warmest regards,
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 18, 2014

My girlfriend's wedding was held at this resort and everything was absolutely amazing! Private Villas with pool, Outdoor showers, great service, breakfast buffet, I could go on and on. They even remembered my morning drink! It requires a golf cart to get to most places but they were always prompt....this was truly a 5 star resort. My fiancé still raves about this place!

Room Tip: Can't imagine there being any bad rooms onsite! The only thing that bothered me was the ants bu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our facilities and the service and recognition by our people. It is indeed our most important mission to create lasting memories and feedback like yours is truly encouraging for all of us. Thank you for taking the time and hopefully your travels will soon bring you back to Banyan Tree Mayakobá.
Warmest regards
Randolph, NJ
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife and I stayed with our 2 year old daughter for 6 nights in a Sanctuary Pool Villa. First off, you should definitely book your trip through a Virtuoso travel agent - we got a free room upgrade, breakfast and other perks; and the price was better than I could find anywhere on the net. On to the stay. The service is what stands out from the minute you step out of your car. Everyone on the property says hello with a smile on their face. The staff should be commended for their high standard of service. My favorites were Ceidi at Oriente Restaurant and the beach staff (Jesus, Cristiano, Luz). Such warm and amazing people.

The room is amazing and was perfect for staying with our daughter. We set up her crib in the room across the way and used a baby monitor to make sure she was ok. The first few days, we had torrential rains and it was great to have the villa pools and hot tub. We got lots of use out of them and they were totally private.

Our favorite meal of the day was definitely breakfast. The buffet is wonderful and has tons to choose from. We were a bit disappointed by Sands for lunch (the pizza is pretty terrible despite the wood stove) but the other Mayakoba lunches weren't much better. I think Rosewood probably has the best lunch - we loved Punta Bonita for dinner. Saffron is a wonderful choice for dinner - unfortunately we didn't get to eat over the water because of the weather.

Overall I would highly recommend Banyan Tree. It is an amazing place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank wang923
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your lovely and detailed comments about your most recent family vacation here at Banyan Tree Mayakobá. It is indeed our pleasure to hear that you enjoyed the natural surroundings of our resort and in particular the service provided by our people. We have passed on your comments to Ceidi, Jesus, Cristiano and Luz, who were very happy to hear that they were mentioned by you in particular.
Thank you also for mentioning our unique breakfast buffet and your Thai dining experience at Saffron and be assured that our Chef already looked into the consistency of our pizza at Sands. Thank you for bringing it up.
Warmest regards,
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I stayed 1 week and I loved it. What I realy appreciated was the great and courteous service from absolutely everybody at the hotel. They were all so caring, helpful and friendly that I wanted to take some people with me to show Switzerland how 5 Star service is supposed to be. A big big thank you to all those men and women who made my stay so lovely and unforgettable!

Another thing I really liked is the architecture and the way the villas are built into the jungle, with lots of vegetation, water lagoons and mangroves all around the place. You never have the impression of staying in a concrete hotel city. There is also a lot of space, everywhere.... between the tables in the dinning restaurants, between the chairs at the beach... you never hear your neighbours or will be disturbed by their conversations whatsoever.

The only little weakness, you can see that the hotel is not the newest. My shower showed clear signs of deterioration and for a 5 star hotel I would have expected a newer shower.

Also the private pool has always leaves and little bugs. I would have loved quickly cleaning it in the morning before I went in. It would have taken me max. 3 minutes. So I suggest the hotel provides smaller pool strainers for each Villa.

Though food was lovely, the price for it was somehow too expensive. My favorite was the Beach restaurant. I had several lunches there and everything was fresh and so in match with the beach sight. I just loved it!

I will definitely explore more Banyan Trees at other destinations. And if possible also go bach to Mayacoba! People there were just so amazingly nice!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

4 Thank veve2908
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your wonderful comments about the beauty of our natural surroundings and the warm service provided by our people. It makes us truly happy that you enjoyed the privacy and ambiance of our resort and that you feel motivated to visit more Banyan Tree Resorts throughout the world. That said, please be assured that it is our utmost wish to soon welcome you back to Mayakoba.
Thank you also for mentioning the flaw with your shower. Such defects should indeed not occur and we have corrected it right away. Your suggestion to provide small pool strainers in each villa was well noted.
Hoping to see you back soon, please receive my warmest regards,
West Chester Pa
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I think that a lot of people get really confused when they travel to Mexico. They are not really sure what to expect or what their money buys them in Mexico with regard to hotels. Especially Cancun and the Riviera Maya. So many choices. You can go cheap and very Mexican authentic near Playa Del Carmen. Or you can go all inclusive all along the Riviera Maya and you never have to leave the hotel. These hotels are huge and you never really have to make a decision during your stay. Or you can stay in a very nice hotel on the strip which is one long party all day long.Your choice is entirely on what makes you comfortable. But if you want luxury and probably some of the best hotels in the country, then you should do Mayakoba. There are three hotels on the grounds of Mayakoba and all of them are very high end. They are not all inclusive and there is no permanent party in the pool or anywhere in the hotel. They are set apart in the Mexican jungle near the ocean and there are very few experiences like this in Mexico. They are expensive but I promise that you can't get anything like this close to where you live. I loved both the Rosewood and the Banyan Tree. They are Mexican versions of The Four Seasons and The Ritz Carlton. But they are different because they are in Mexico which is the whole point of going to Mexico in the first place. You pay for the experience of being in the Mexican jungle. You pay for the huge rooms and the tranquility, and you pay for the individual service. You pay for the private pools and the romance. You pay for privacy. You pay for the ability to get anything that you want on a moment's notice. You experience Mexico in a way that few others do and if you insist on comparing it to other hotels in other parts of the world? Then you are wasting your experience here and certainly your money also. The Banyan Tree is a spectacular hotel in a spectacular setting with vey good food and service that is totally set apart from other hotels in Mexico. Spend the money if you can afford it and enjoy the experience. It's a terrific experience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank bobjusacoils
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your detailed review and your lovely comments about Mayakoba and Banyan Tree Mayakoba in particular. I really enjoyed reading your comments as they truly highlight the variety of styles and categories you can find for a vacation in this rather large destination.
Our philosophy is to provide a unique and exclusive experience with personalized service surrounded by nature. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed that privacy with all the services provided by our people.
Warm regards and we all hope to see you back soon,