My boyfriend and I (early 30s) stayed here five nights over Thanksgiving week. It was not a cheap stay, but we felt it was well worth the price--it achieved near perfection.
The service--from the groundskeepers, to the servers, to the buggy drivers--are all warm and welcoming. And, by way of example, when I fell off my bike, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the resort delivered me a bouquet of "get better" flowers. Banyan Tree offers nice finishing touches throughout guests' stays, such as cool scented towels at dinner, coconut ice cream bites after lunch, and unique juices and teas.
The Mayakoba grounds are huge, and although we were initially skeptical about being a mile or so from the beach, we enjoyed the private villa so much that we welcomed the buffer between the villa and beach. The beach has a pool that overlooks the beach with a swim up pool and good options for lunch (a la carte tacos were our favorites).
For dinner, you must try Saffron and sit outside on the pier. Beautiful view of the stars over the lagoon. Thai food that is not to be missed. Also visit the Rosewood next door for dinner (but make reservations!). The Mayakoba resort offers transportation between the three resorts, which gives you more dinner and drink options.
The spa is world class. We thoroughly enjoyed the massages.
I will echo others' comments that breakfast selections are very limited. Your choices are (1) a very pricey (albeit very nice) breakfast buffet or (2) room service. We would have loved a casual a la carte option on the beach or grab-and-go stop.
There is no party scene and, although the other travelers are friendly, travelers generally seem to be there to rejuvenate and not to make new friends. This is ideal for romantic getaways, just be advised if you are looking for a more social place that you may not find it here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba is a site of almost mythical beauty. It flawlessly blends elegance and nature, taking the Caribbean lifestyle to an unprecedented new height. A breathtaking getaway for relaxation, rejuvenation, romance and world-class dining, it is also the region's most sustainable five-star resort. With its revitalized culinary concepts, Thai-inspired therapies at the Banyan Tree Spa, 14 event-venues and the Greg Norman signature 18- hole El Camaleon golf course, home to the PGA Tour Mayakoba Classic, the resort raises the bar for premium leisure options and event planning. Perfect for private getaways, family trips and group events, the Banyan Tree Mayakoba offers 118 villas, ranging from romantic Bliss and Serenity Pool Villas to Family Residences and Ocean Front Villas. All include outdoor areas with private pools and terraces. Inspired by the interior courtyards of houses in the Far East, each villa is discreetly built to blend with the landscape, integrating the interiors and their idyllic surroundings. East meets West in every subtle detail, from the fragrance of flowers encircling your villa, to the softness of a kimono, fine linens and essential oils on your skin. Here, even world-weary guests discover the eloquence of tranquility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Banyan Tree Mayakoba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico