“Excellence”

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Ranked #3 of 216 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed for only two nights and were amazed by the friendliness and efficiency of the staff. Although the hotel was fully booked due to a corporate event the staff did everything to make us feel at home and we got a very nice upgrade to a three bedroom seaside villa. We will definitely be back again to try the Spa and the golf course which looks fabulous.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com
Write a ReviewReviews (2,222)

A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, Texas, USA
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My daughter had her wedding at Banyan Tree and it was absolutely perfect. I stayed in the one room villa close to the lobby so it made it easy to get to breakfast and all of the events we had planned. At some resorts I've noticed that after a few years they tend to show a lot of wear and tear. Not at the Banyan Tree. The grounds were perfectly manicured; the AC in our room worked wonderfully (which I'm very picky about) and the room service food was yummy. We used the bikes to get to the beach and I thought it was fun and a great way to get a little bit of exercise. The beach was pristine and the attendants were accommodating. We also used the spa for pre-wedding pedicures and they did a good job. We had a small pool party for the ladies at my daughter’s villa while the guys played golf. The drinks and food were just right and the staff was helpful.
As for the wedding, it was magical. I was concerned about having to go barefoot on the beach, but the ceremony is so quick you don’t even notice. The makeup artist and hair stylist (which you book through the hotel) did exactly what my daughter wanted and she was thrilled with the results. The wedding bouquet was pretty and the reception was the most fun I've ever had in my life. We had it in the Oriente Restaurant and the room was spectacular. The DJ played all of the songs my daughter requested and no one wanted to leave the party. A huge thank-you to Diana Romo, The Romance Coordinator on the property; she did an outstanding job and we couldn't be more pleased.
Ladies if you are thinking about having a destination wedding, this is the place to go. It is first class all the way around and you will never want to leave.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We went back to the Banyan Tree in March and it was again such a worthwhile visit, the rooms and private pools are amazing, you have so much space and privacy regardless of how busy the Hotel is. It was Easter break so there was lots of families but it does not make any difference to the luxurious experience of the Banyan Tree. The staff are truly exceptional, always eager to help with a smile, especially all the guys doing the breakfast each day, they are great fun and so attentive. It was also lovely to see Cecilia at the Copa Bar again, Cecilia and her team are so friendly and fun, one evening we did not know what to do for dinner so Cecilia ordered room service for us while we had a drink at the bar and then retired to our room. We really love this hotel, it is really great being able to cycle every where and also helps work off some of the delicious food! The Beach Area is also lovely to relax in, the guys set up your loungers and provide you with fluffy towels and water, it is kept really clean and is a nice way to spend a lazy day. Also make time to book the spa, the therapists are really exceptional, I had an amazing massage whilst my husband played Golf one day.

Room Tip: I honestly don't think there is a bad room in this hotel, it is so private you can't go wron...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Banyan Tree Mayakoba offered everything we'd hoped for: a beautiful villa with private pool, an in/outdoor bathroom, personalised service with eye for detail, ultimate privacy, comfort and luxury, great restaurants and a sublime spa. A very nice surprise though was the seamless integration of 5 star luxury in a fabulous nature park; home to crocs, turtles, the most incredibly beautiful subtropical birds and many other species. Although unimpressed by the type of low-end tourism that Cancun and Playa del Carmen generally offer, the Mayakoba resort is the jewel of the Riviera Maya.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights/5 days and the staff was absolutely exceptional! They were courteous, responded to every request and everyone on the property greeted you with a smile. The location and proximity to the beach was perfect and you could ride your complimentary bikes or get a ride with the buggy.
The breakfast buffet was really good, and although I am raw-vegan and everything they had made my mouth water, the fruit and juice selection was satisfying and yummy. The green juice with cactus was great!
My favorite part was the spa and Thai massage with Poi. UNREAL!!! Highly recommended. I live in NYC and have access to the best spas, travel to the best resorts and this was by far the best massage I EVER had. Great vacation!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

There are not words to describe this stunning resort and absolutely perfect service you will ever get in a luxury resort. I did not know Banyan Tree before this vacation. I am now a fan. They excel in everything the do and their staff is trained to please and anticipate their guest's expectations. I loved every minute of my stay and it was hard to go back home. The SPA is absolutely wonderful and doesn't compare to anything I tired before. Thank you Banyan Tree for one of the most wonderful vacations I have ever had in my life.

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

This resort while costly is beyond description. The villas are incredible, more space and amenities that you will know what to do with. The service is incredible, restaurants are wonderful and the property is immaculate

• Stayed: April 2013