Banyan Tree Mayakoba
$297
$236
Bookit.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$318
$517
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla(Playa del Carmen)
$396
$333
Melia.com
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of $411/night.

$229
Barcelo.com
$535
$519
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$370
$356
$292
$269
Priceline
  • Pool
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$480
$339
Priceline
  • Beachfront
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$1,434
$790
2,379 results
All reviewsprivate poolrainforest experienceoutdoor bathtubsaffron restauranteco toursands restaurantin villa diningla coparesort hostreflections poolsanctuary pool villavilla bbqbreakfast buffetbuggy driversbuggy servicegolf cartbeach club
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I recently attended a stunning long weekend wedding at the Banyan Tree. The staff were incredibly attentive and the extensive grounds were beautiful. The wedding experience was spectacular. The private villas were well designed, except for the baths, which were missing towel holders and designed to flood the floor whenever attempting a shower.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank chameleonesque
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear chameleonesque,

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and wish to thank you very much for your gracious comments about our hotel services.

I have taken note on the issue you pointed out on a more critical term and I may kindly inform you, that we will do our best to not repeat this incidence.

A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have statyed at Banyan Tree twice and Rosewood Mayakoba once. I highly recommend statying at the Banyan Tree over the other two options at Mayakoba. Best rooms, best service, and best food options. The breakfast buffet is better at Banyan Tree than Rosewood as well.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Dear visitor of Banyan Tree Mayakoba,

Thank you for choosing Banyan Tree Mayakoba and for taking the time to share your comments with us. It is very gratifying for us to know that we could meet your expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We have just completed a 5 night stay at the Banyan Tree and now moved over to the neighbouring Rosewood property. Frankly it's a night and day comparison, with the Rosewood miles ahead in terms of level of service and maintenance.

In terms of positives, our villa at the Banyan Tree was wonderfully private with a large heated pool (gather some are unheated), and a separate and spacious living room. Breakfast was excellent, with attentive staff, and my massage was terrific. The main reception area is beautifully designed, and the outdoor rooftop bar is magical.

In other respects, the resort fell consistently short of our expectations. In terms of service, there was always the impression that unless one was spending top dollar on food/alcohol, staff were less interested.

The common pools are just too small, and sitting by the beachside pool when there are just a few children splashing around quickly became an unpleasant experience: the first weekend we were there, it was unbearable. The hotel badly needs an adult-only pool (which the Rosewood has).

Service at the beach/pool area was more hit than miss: we were rarely offered any water, let alone any treats, and on the last day we sat there for two hours without even being offered a towel. Service at the Sands restaurant was slow, portions small, and prices aggressive.

Elsewhere, villas were not maintained to the necessary level. We had to move from our original designated villa, since the view from the bed was onto a bed of gravel, with electric wires sticking out of the concrete wall and a cover propped up with a stick. The roofs are often rusty, and painted concrete is an unfortunate building material to have chosen: walking past the villas gave the impression of being in a (posh) housing estate.

What got to us more was the sense of being nickel and dimed: $5 to use a bike and c.$40 to use the spa area is unacceptable with a room rate of $600+. There was a shower next to the gym, however there were never any towels in the men's changing room. All this is complementary at the Rosewood, and the property is immaculately maintained: the spa and gym is truly exceptional.

Staff at reception were rather churlish, and surprisingly unhelpful when it came to local recommendations: a dedicated concierge is required. There was no attempt to be flexible when it came to a request for a 2 hour extension to check-out, despite us being members of the Leader's Club (the resort is a member of the LHW). 12 midday, and not a moment later. No evidence at all of the GM during our stay, and issues that came up were not fully addressed because the reception staff were not properly empowered. Similarly, correspondence sent to the hotel prior to our visit was neither responded to, nor acknowledged on check-in.

Overall impression was of a property that was managed at a distance, with a focus on large wedding groups at the expense of individual travellers. Certainly for adult travellers without children the resort failed to provide the experience that we had expected. In contrast, the Rosewood has been flawless.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank pnlaw

Dear pnlaw,

I wish to thank you very much your feedback in regards to your experience with us. I have taken note of all the comments that of course are discussed with the involved department heads.
I sincerely apologize that you did not have a perfect stay at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, and that we felt short of your expectations.

I really appreciate your constructive comments which highlight specific areas that we need to rectify to improve our standards, in order to reach for perfection.

We do look forward to welcome you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Magnificent property! You drive up to the remarkable entrance, drive up to a perfect staff and whisked away to your gorgeous room that has a private pool. We were upgraded to a room that had a pool pavilion , again unbelievable! We were stunned at beauty! Off to the beach? Not a lot of beach? Ok, how about the beach club pool? Packed, full, no place to lounge, small. Ok, maybe resort pool? No sun hitting lounge chairs. The nice attendant said there are no chairs in the sun just the baby pool area which is kinda out in the middle of everyone! You may ask why not the pool at your room! While our room and pool were awesome the water was fairly cold (not heated) and we had nowhere to soak up some sun due to the proximity of the room location to the sun. On day 2, I asked the desk if we could use the other 2 properties pools ( Rosewood and Fairmont ), I was told they frowned on that. I get back home and read a huge article in my papers Sunday Travel section and it states that you do have access to other pools? Not sure? Overall, we had a great experience , it is very expensive but the rooms and service are outstanding. I think we are more small boutique hotel seekers instead of the over the top wonderland.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Daryl D
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear Daryl D,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor about your experience regarding your recent visit to Banyan Tree Mayakoba, and also for the good comments about our service and hotel facilities.
Your remarks are very much appreciated as the help us improve both our service and our product. In regards to the use of the other hotels of Mayakoba: sorry that the information has not been correctly provided to you.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you back soon to our hotel.
With best wishes

Reviewed February 3, 2013

OK - I am writing this review whilst still at the resort under the beautiful Cabana in the garden of our villa - so am still nicely chilled before returning to reality and Cancun airport tomorrow! This is like a little bit of Thailand in Mexico. The service is outstanding from every single member of staff - always smiling and always wanting to help. As other reviewers have commented this does come at a 5* price as well - but we feel it's worth it for the sheer calmness and peace felt here. The massage I had in the Spa was absolutely heavenly - I felt like a new woman! I loved the boat service from the dock in reception taking you down to the beach. (Lunch at Sands looking out over the sea is to be recommended especially the lobster tail salad). Having been here for a week we decided to try another of the resort's 3 hotels for dinner: the restaurant (El Puerto) at the Fairmont hotel which was also excellent and which I highly recommend. There is also a Rosewood Hotel here - we didn't try it but it also looks excellent. Our villa was a garden villa - I know there are bigger villas - but we feel this suited us perfectly and it's location was ideal.
The pool in the grounds of our villa is certainly big enough to take a swim in but at this time of year the water is just a little too cold. I think in the height of summer it would be bliss!
I'll post this review now before I get the bill on check out tomorrow!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear JAP25,

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba, I wish to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that your Spa experience was meeting your expectations. Your description of our hotel is exactly what we are working for and it is a compliment for me and my associates to receive such a compliment.

Hopefully I can meet you in person on your next visit at our hotel.

With best wishes,