“Amazing experience”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Denver, Colorado
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I brought a very large group to this hotel in March 2012 and am just getting to write this review, but I can't get the Banyan out of my head! It is one of the nicest hotels I've been to and I travel pretty extensively. The villas are stunning, staff is attentive and the food was delicious. The grounds are lovely and the villas offer a ton of privacy. Saffron is one of my FAVORITE restaurants. I don't understand why they haven't received 5 diamonds since they really deserve it.

Room Tip: There are lots of different villa types. The regular rooms are great if it's just 2 people. If m...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear PiaWilliams,

Thank you very much for staying with us and writing a review about your experience..

I am very pleased to read your gracious comment of our villas, our staff and our restaurants and I will share your compliments with all mi associates. Hopefully you will come back soon to enjoy again the Saffron restaurant, our Chefs will be delighted to prepare you their culinary highlights.

Please let me know if you need any assistance to organize your next trip to Banyan Tree Mayakoba or any other Banyan Tree around the world.

Area General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our townhouse reeked of cleaning fluid after it was cleaned each day. It also smelled musty the rest of the time. Water damage was apparent at the baseboards as they were bubbled. We had to open the sliders to the master bedroom each day to air it out. Also, AC downstairs did not work (despite room card in holder you could NOT control the temp downstairs). We froze and had to turn it off all night in order to sleep. High end coffee maker was a huge pain that only worked when it felt like it. Backed to golf course and a building that roared generator or AC sounds all day long. GORGEOUS property but not worth the price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Dear MasterOfMultitasking,

Thank you very much for staying recently with us and writing a comment about your vacation.

I sincerely apologize that you did not have a perfect stay at our hotel, and that we felt short of your expectations. I really appreciate your constructive comments which highlight specific areas that we need to rectify to improve our standards, and to reach for a perfect service.
In Banyan Tree Mayakoba we all work with that goal in mind and we will not stop until we have achieved it.

We are looking forward to be given the opportunity to welcome you again.

NYC
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed for three days to attend the festivities associated with a wedding. It was a wonderful weekend. The accomodations, service, ambience and food were all five star. I especially enjoyed riding the provided bicycle around the beautifully landscaped property..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Richardcoburn
Dear visitor of Banyan Tree Mayakoba,

We are all pleased and honored with comments like yours. We really wish to thank you for your complimentary comments about our hotel facilities, and associates.

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to share your comments with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Cascais, Portugal
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Five days last August. Nice beach, excellent resort facilities. Probably the best managed hotel where I have stayed. If you are in this part of the world, and if it is within your budget, don`t think twice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Pedro1962,

Thank you very much for staying at Banyan Tree Mayakoba and sharing your experience with us.

We really wish to thank you for your complimentary comments about our hotel facilities and associates. Your appreciation is our motivation.

Please let me know if I can assist you in any way to organize your next trip to our hotel.

New York, NY
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We booked a last minute trip to the Banyan Tree Mayakoba in March 2012 and we very pleased with our choice. The hotel was lovely, and the privacy of the villas was exactly what we were looking for - we could be completely self-contained if that was what we wanted, although we did spend time at the main pool and at the beach througout our stay. We stayed in the base-level villa - we were far from the beach but close to reception and to the restaurants. The food at the restaurants was pretty good - we were frankly a little tired of eating at the hotel after 6 nights but that was to be expected. The gym was small but decently appointed. The beach itself was far from the best beach I have ever been on, but the hotel certainly made the most of it and as compared to the other hotels in the same area, we were definitely happy we had chosen the Banyan Tree. If I were to go back, I would ask for a room that got a little more afternoon sun - we got a good portion of the sun in the morning but were in the shade for the most of the afternoon, which was disappointing. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful which made the experience all the more enjoyable. If you are looking for a very low-key, relaxing getaway I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you plan to grab sun in your villa, make sure to get one that is not shaded in the afternoon.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear amznyc,

The Team of Banyan Tree Mayakoba thanks you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Mexiko and for taking a few minutes to write about your vacation.

I appreciate your positive notes about the hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the villa, the service and other facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba in the near future.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed at the Bayan Tree Mayakoba for our honeymoon.
It was the final destination and we were amazed.
We found a little paradise.
The service was fantastic, great deal, from reception, clean transport, all very attentive and friendly.
The food in all the restaurants is amazing. Everything is delicious. Waking up every morning and enjoy the extensive breakfast buffet is great, you start your day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear esteverodriguez,

Thank you for staying with us to celebrate your honeymoon and for writing a review about this experience.

It was a pleasure to have you as a guest in our hotel and to pamper you newlyweds as much as we can! Hopefully you will come back for your anniversary or your babymoon.

Your little paradise will be waiting for you.

New York, NY
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We just returned from a three night stay at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. This was to be the highlight of our trip to Mexico and sadly it didn't work out that way. As we were pulling up to the Banyan Tree we were really impressed with the architecture. The lobby area is simply stunning and dramatic!
Our room was not ready upon arrival which was understandable since we were early.. however we didn't get to our room until about 4pm. They placed us in villa 404 which has to be the worst Garden Villa location on the property. Right next to the main drive into the resort and it was so loud outside in the courtyard. Also what suprised me the most was the wear and tear of the villa. The inside floors were stained and looked dirty and the whole villa was dark. The bathroom was also smaller than I imagined. The exterior of the villa, and garden also were a bit of a let down with burnt and torn up grass and poor maintenance of the roof. We were moved to another villa, 508 which was much better inside however the exterior continued to have the same issues and suprisingly you could hear the main highway from even inside the villa.

We had multiple issues with the hotel, the worst being food poisoning from Sands restaurant. I spoke to the front desk the following day to let them know what happened and they neither apologized or offered to investigate. It was really odd. We found the service at the beach to be hit or miss. Some days we were greeted by name and some days there was nobody to be found. Never received complimentary treats like we are used to at Four Seasons hotels or other luxury properties. We always had to go search for staff to take drink orders. We let the hotel know prior to arrival that we were celebrating an anniversary however there was no congratulations and turndown service was hit or miss as well as theynever had slippers placed next to the bed. I have an allergy to seeds and this was communicated to the waiter at our dinner at Saffron. They brough us over some goodies after our meal which was all seeds. Just the attention to detail is missing. We were charged for a car service we didn't use but this was rectified at check out. Besides the food poisoning these are small issues but everything just kept adding up. We sent an email to the assistant front office manager to let her know about our stay and we never received a response. It just seems that the hotel caters to group business and the leisure traveler is forgotten. I expected more from the Banyan Tree.

We did like our spa treatments.. in fact mine was the best I have ever had and we have been lucky enough to go to some wonderful spa's in Asia, including the spas at thePeninsula Bangkok, Landmark Mandarin Oriental, and Four Seasons Hong Kong. My partner commented how he didn't like the layout of the Spa. He didn't like that there was no true locker area and that there is a $48 charge to use the wet facilities which seems like nickel and diming when you are paying $600 for a standard villa. We also loved Saffron... maybe because its setting is beautiful... and maybe because we love Thai food! It was nice to eat something different after 7 nights in Mexico!

Finally, we stayed at a hotel before called the Blue Diamond Riviera Maya. This was the former Mandarin Oriental. I was a bit worried about staying there as I wasn't expecting to get a true luxury experience. I was wrong. We had a beautiful suite, which was larger inside, and in better condition than our villa at the Banyan Tree. The service was leaps and bounds better than the Banyan Tree. I believe many of the staff are left over from when it was the Mandarin Oriental so that may be why it was so good. The property is all inclusive, which was another worry for me. We found the breakfast and lunch to be of excellent quality and what we are accustom to at luxury properties. Dinner was a bit of a let down as it wasn't as good as the other two meals but perfectly adequate. The spa facilities were beautiful and we loved the south beach style vibe by there pool area.

Room Tip: Make sure to avoid rooms near the entrance road to the resort.. rooms in the low 400's if bookin...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYC10001
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear NYC10001,

Thank you very much for staying recently at Banyan Tree Mayakoba and taking a few minutes to write your comment.

I am deeply saddened of the incidences that happened during your stay and we are working hard to ensure that the same are not repeated in the future. Our aim is to satisfy our guests, could be with a romantic turn down service for their anniversary or with the immediately help to resolve any problem our guests may have. Please be kindly assured that your remarks will be discussed with our department heads and that the required action and measures will be taken.

Again, I sincerely apologize that you did not have a perfect stay at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, and that we felt short of your expectations. I am extremely sorry that you had a bad experience with us and I do hope that we are going to be able to restore your confidence into our brand.