Banyan Tree Mayakoba
$331
$236
Bookit.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$318
$269
$517
$272
$229
Barcelo.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$370
$356
$535
$519
$320
$269
Priceline
  • Pool
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$480
$339
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla(Playa del Carmen)
$396
$313
Priceline
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$1,434
$790
2,378 results
All reviewsprivate poolrainforest experienceoutdoor bathtubsaffron restauranteco toursands restaurantin villa diningla coparesort hostreflections poolsanctuary pool villavilla bbqbreakfast buffetbuggy driversbuggy servicegolf cartbeach club
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We booked a last minute trip to the Banyan Tree Mayakoba in March 2012 and we very pleased with our choice. The hotel was lovely, and the privacy of the villas was exactly what we were looking for - we could be completely self-contained if that was what we wanted, although we did spend time at the main pool and at the beach througout our stay. We stayed in the base-level villa - we were far from the beach but close to reception and to the restaurants. The food at the restaurants was pretty good - we were frankly a little tired of eating at the hotel after 6 nights but that was to be expected. The gym was small but decently appointed. The beach itself was far from the best beach I have ever been on, but the hotel certainly made the most of it and as compared to the other hotels in the same area, we were definitely happy we had chosen the Banyan Tree. If I were to go back, I would ask for a room that got a little more afternoon sun - we got a good portion of the sun in the morning but were in the shade for the most of the afternoon, which was disappointing. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful which made the experience all the more enjoyable. If you are looking for a very low-key, relaxing getaway I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you plan to grab sun in your villa, make sure to get one that is not shaded in the afternoon.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear amznyc,

The Team of Banyan Tree Mayakoba thanks you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Mexiko and for taking a few minutes to write about your vacation.

I appreciate your positive notes about the hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the villa, the service and other facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba in the near future.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed at the Bayan Tree Mayakoba for our honeymoon.
It was the final destination and we were amazed.
We found a little paradise.
The service was fantastic, great deal, from reception, clean transport, all very attentive and friendly.
The food in all the restaurants is amazing. Everything is delicious. Waking up every morning and enjoy the extensive breakfast buffet is great, you start your day.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

Dear esteverodriguez,

Thank you for staying with us to celebrate your honeymoon and for writing a review about this experience.

It was a pleasure to have you as a guest in our hotel and to pamper you newlyweds as much as we can! Hopefully you will come back for your anniversary or your babymoon.

Your little paradise will be waiting for you.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We just returned from a three night stay at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. This was to be the highlight of our trip to Mexico and sadly it didn't work out that way. As we were pulling up to the Banyan Tree we were really impressed with the architecture. The lobby area is simply stunning and dramatic!
Our room was not ready upon arrival which was understandable since we were early.. however we didn't get to our room until about 4pm. They placed us in villa 404 which has to be the worst Garden Villa location on the property. Right next to the main drive into the resort and it was so loud outside in the courtyard. Also what suprised me the most was the wear and tear of the villa. The inside floors were stained and looked dirty and the whole villa was dark. The bathroom was also smaller than I imagined. The exterior of the villa, and garden also were a bit of a let down with burnt and torn up grass and poor maintenance of the roof. We were moved to another villa, 508 which was much better inside however the exterior continued to have the same issues and suprisingly you could hear the main highway from even inside the villa.

We had multiple issues with the hotel, the worst being food poisoning from Sands restaurant. I spoke to the front desk the following day to let them know what happened and they neither apologized or offered to investigate. It was really odd. We found the service at the beach to be hit or miss. Some days we were greeted by name and some days there was nobody to be found. Never received complimentary treats like we are used to at Four Seasons hotels or other luxury properties. We always had to go search for staff to take drink orders. We let the hotel know prior to arrival that we were celebrating an anniversary however there was no congratulations and turndown service was hit or miss as well as theynever had slippers placed next to the bed. I have an allergy to seeds and this was communicated to the waiter at our dinner at Saffron. They brough us over some goodies after our meal which was all seeds. Just the attention to detail is missing. We were charged for a car service we didn't use but this was rectified at check out. Besides the food poisoning these are small issues but everything just kept adding up. We sent an email to the assistant front office manager to let her know about our stay and we never received a response. It just seems that the hotel caters to group business and the leisure traveler is forgotten. I expected more from the Banyan Tree.

We did like our spa treatments.. in fact mine was the best I have ever had and we have been lucky enough to go to some wonderful spa's in Asia, including the spas at thePeninsula Bangkok, Landmark Mandarin Oriental, and Four Seasons Hong Kong. My partner commented how he didn't like the layout of the Spa. He didn't like that there was no true locker area and that there is a $48 charge to use the wet facilities which seems like nickel and diming when you are paying $600 for a standard villa. We also loved Saffron... maybe because its setting is beautiful... and maybe because we love Thai food! It was nice to eat something different after 7 nights in Mexico!

Finally, we stayed at a hotel before called the Blue Diamond Riviera Maya. This was the former Mandarin Oriental. I was a bit worried about staying there as I wasn't expecting to get a true luxury experience. I was wrong. We had a beautiful suite, which was larger inside, and in better condition than our villa at the Banyan Tree. The service was leaps and bounds better than the Banyan Tree. I believe many of the staff are left over from when it was the Mandarin Oriental so that may be why it was so good. The property is all inclusive, which was another worry for me. We found the breakfast and lunch to be of excellent quality and what we are accustom to at luxury properties. Dinner was a bit of a let down as it wasn't as good as the other two meals but perfectly adequate. The spa facilities were beautiful and we loved the south beach style vibe by there pool area.

Room Tip: Make sure to avoid rooms near the entrance road to the resort.. rooms in the low 400's if booking a Garden Villa. They are loud and not private.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NYC10001
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear NYC10001,

Thank you very much for staying recently at Banyan Tree Mayakoba and taking a few minutes to write your comment.

I am deeply saddened of the incidences that happened during your stay and we are working hard to ensure that the same are not repeated in the future. Our aim is to satisfy our guests, could be with a romantic turn down service for their anniversary or with the immediately help to resolve any problem our guests may have. Please be kindly assured that your remarks will be discussed with our department heads and that the required action and measures will be taken.

Again, I sincerely apologize that you did not have a perfect stay at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, and that we felt short of your expectations. I am extremely sorry that you had a bad experience with us and I do hope that we are going to be able to restore your confidence into our brand.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Banyan Tree hotels are always thought to be upscale and refined luxury hotels. And they are, at least in Asia where they came from. However I can't say this about Banyan Tree Mayacoba. Rather cheap materials used for the villa exteriors and villa pool areas have nothing in common with real seaside luxury hotels. Very simple and small (and thus overcrowded) pool areas. Very small and narrow beach with simple sunbeds and without any luxury feel. Also we were very much "surprised" to see that the terrace roof of our villa was partly destroyed and obviously neglected - the fact which is impossible for an upscale hotel. (Though I must say that the villa interiors are very stylish and have a definite luxury touch).
However we were overall satisfied with our stay. Firstly, our spa pool villa was 100% private - nobody can see you whether you are inside your rooms or outside by the pool. And it's very important for us. Secondly, we were overall satisfied because we discovered this hotel as a perfect eco-hotel. It consists of separate villas built along the numerous natural lagoons which are full of wildlife. Twice a day we went to and from the beach through all these lagoons (1 mile approximately, though if you don't like to walk, you can take a buggy) and were admiring various birds, caymans, turtles, various types of fish etc.
Also they have very good restaurants - Tamarind and Saffron - and it's very important since it's very hard to find decent food in Mexico. Saffron also boasts with a fantastic location right over a picturesque lagoon under the starry sky.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sibvaleo,

Thank you very much for staying recently with us and sharing your experience on this website.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the privacy of your villa and the dishes of our restaurants. Saffron is really a perfect place to have a romantic dinner under the Mexican sky – I totally agree with you! The big advantage of being part of the Mayakoba development is the balance of 3 hotels and this richness of animals. Our resort is giving peace and tranquility to the animals and to the humans staying with us.

Sorry that you did not find our facilities to your expectations and I do hope that our other services where up to your satisfaction.

I do look forward to be given the opportunity to personally welcome you again to Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Was our third or 4th visit. Beautiful property but diminished over time. Service and food--phenomenal as always!!!!!! The staff at oriente remembered me from a previous trip. What a nice thing! They anticipate needs. Accommodate. And the meals at saffron...my oh my. Absolutely delightful.

--pool needed cleaning. Had a thin layer of film on surface of water. So didn't get in it much
--one light in jacuzzi was broken
--room had ants/those tiny spiders on nightstands and wet bar and bathroom counters. I had to dump my cloths and toiletries out and shake everything to not carry bugs home
--the specific room I had (210) didn't have outdoor shower (one of my favorites) and didn't get sun for very long (had I known I would have specified that as important to me)

Not sure if I'll come back or wait for a slight update to the things above. Wasn't nearly as delightful as past experiences. But definitely still a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank ATLHotelLuva

Dear ATLHotelLuva,

Thank you very much for your preference and for taking a few moments to write your review.
I am very pleased to read your comments about our service and our food. It is very gratifying for the Banyan Tree Mayakoba team to know that we could meet your expectations. Your remarks about the villa are very much appreciated as they help us to improve both our service and our product.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba and I do hope you will contact me personally before your arrival so I can make sure your villa is in perfect conditions.