This hotel is stunning in every way. As you enter the grounds, you know that this place is special. The building is beautiful and the check in process is quick and easy while you sit and wait on comfortable chairs.
We stayed in a garden room villa which was very well equipped. It had a lovely pool and the villa itself was roomy and decorated in a contemporary asian style. I really enjoy using the complementary products that they provide you with when you stay in Banyan Tree hotels. The bed was very large and comfortable and we slept well whilst we were there.
We had room service one evening and then ate at Saffron on our second night. The room service was quick and efficient but not cheap. A burger was $29 USD. The food at Saffron was amazing! I had the grouper and pineapple and my boyfriend had the beef curry. Both mains were delicious and the starter and deserts were also very good. I would definitely recommend the Mayan mojito which comes in a martini glass. The breakfast was the best I have seen in a large hotel. The selection was huge so we couldn't have asked for more.
William at the reflections pool bar is worth speaking to. He is so knowledgable about the area and different drinks. We had a real education with him on different spirits one afternoon. He also makes a great cocktail.
My one criticism: when I booked this hotel I had to give my credit card details which I believed was to cover the room rate for the stay and then any other extras would be paid for on departure. However, I was surprised on our last day that we had not been charged when I booked the villa and we had a huge bill for the entire stay to pay. This left me with a bitter taste in my mouth at the end of our stay which is a shame as our actual experience on Banyan Tree Mayakoba had otherwise been excellent. However discovering that I had in fact not paid for the hotel ruined my last day here which meant that I couldn't wait to leave. I think that the process needs to be made much clearer when guests are booking their rooms with a credit card that they aren't actually paying for the hotel at all.
On payment, be aware that several taxes are added to the bill including a government tax, VAT and a service tax/charge which amounts to an extra 29% on top of your quoted room rate. The hotel says that all of these charges are mandatory but neither of the 2 other accommodations that I stayed in whilst I was in Mexico added these on. This really makes a difference to the amount that you pay. I was not impressed. Maybe this isn't a problem in the other BT hotels. I stayed at the Bangkok Banyan Tree 2 years ago and they certainly didn't charge for these extras.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba is a site of almost mythical beauty. It flawlessly blends elegance and nature, taking the Caribbean lifestyle to an unprecedented new height. A breathtaking getaway for relaxation, rejuvenation, romance and world-class dining, it is also the region's most sustainable five-star resort. With its revitalized culinary concepts, Thai-inspired therapies at the Banyan Tree Spa, 14 event-venues and the Greg Norman signature 18- hole El Camaleon golf course, home to the PGA Tour Mayakoba Classic, the resort raises the bar for premium leisure options and event planning. Perfect for private getaways, family trips and group events, the Banyan Tree Mayakoba offers 118 villas, ranging from romantic Bliss and Serenity Pool Villas to Family Residences and Ocean Front Villas. All include outdoor areas with private pools and terraces. Inspired by the interior courtyards of houses in the Far East, each villa is discreetly built to blend with the landscape, integrating the interiors and their idyllic surroundings. East meets West in every subtle detail, from the fragrance of flowers encircling your villa, to the softness of a kimono, fine linens and essential oils on your skin. Here, even world-weary guests discover the eloquence of tranquility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Banyan Tree Mayakoba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico