Hard to imagine more extraordinary accommodations. Every "villa" has its own pool and private courtyard, and no interior walls connect with your neighbor giving you complete privacy and quiet. Just check the pictures on their website.
The entire time we were there we continually marveled at the vision, the design execution, and the incomprehensible amount of money that went into building what is arguably the finest resort in North America - built in the middle of a swamp in Mexico. But this "swamp" is unlike any I've ever seen before. It is uniformly lush and green, with all the vegetation at a uniform height, and the water is crystal clear and pristine. The manicured quality of all the wild vegetation sometimes made it hard to determine where the landscaping ended and the wild swamp began. And the most amazing thing we noticed was the complete lack of bugs at the resort (in November).
Everything said about the high quality of service is true. An example of the attention paid to the customer occured during routine turndown service. My partner and I are both over 6' tall, and one of the guest robes was a small. I noticed the next day it got discretely changed to a large. Same was true with ice. (Why is it the more deluxe the resort the more involved it is to get ice?) When we ordered some upon our arrival, it came in a small insulated ice chest. Perfect - it lasted two days. The third day, upon returning from dinner, we were delighted to see it had been thoughtfully refilled.
Breakfast was a treat. Included with the room rate, the buffet menu changed daily with a wonderful variety of interesting dishes. Not once did I go to the omelet station - I can have standard eggs and bacon anywhere - but grazing the constantly changing, high quality array of food items was a great way to start the day. Regarding the other restaurants, the food and drink at the hotel is uniformly good, if rather pricey. Drinks are $15 each, but I must say, the Mai Tais at the Beach Club pool were abundantly sized and superb, nearly equaling the slightly drier original only available at Trader Vic's. Also, the Sands Restaurant at the Beach Club is terrific for light lunches. We ate there twice.
This is an amazing, unique place, unlike any I have ever encountered. Our stay there was magical. Before arriving, I read that many people never left the property once they arrived. i thought, how odd, with such a lively town nearby with so many restaurants, etc. But after being at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba I now understand why you never want to leave! (But we did leave to explore a bit, and enjoyed dinners in Playa and a trip to Tulum.)
Highly recommend this place. Spring for the extra $$$ it costs to stay here - it's worth it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba is a site of almost mythical beauty. It flawlessly blends elegance and nature, taking the Caribbean lifestyle to an unprecedented new height. A breathtaking getaway for relaxation, rejuvenation, romance and world-class dining, it is also the region's most sustainable five-star resort. With its revitalized culinary concepts, Thai-inspired therapies at the Banyan Tree Spa, 14 event-venues and the Greg Norman signature 18- hole El Camaleon golf course, home to the PGA Tour Mayakoba Classic, the resort raises the bar for premium leisure options and event planning. Perfect for private getaways, family trips and group events, the Banyan Tree Mayakoba offers 118 villas, ranging from romantic Bliss and Serenity Pool Villas to Family Residences and Ocean Front Villas. All include outdoor areas with private pools and terraces. Inspired by the interior courtyards of houses in the Far East, each villa is discreetly built to blend with the landscape, integrating the interiors and their idyllic surroundings. East meets West in every subtle detail, from the fragrance of flowers encircling your villa, to the softness of a kimono, fine linens and essential oils on your skin. Here, even world-weary guests discover the eloquence of tranquility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Banyan Tree Mayakoba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico