“The Place to Revive Romance” 5 of 5 bubbles

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Ranked #3 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Atlanta
“The Place to Revive Romance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

I travelled for a business seminar together with my husband.

Pros: This spectacular hotel is beautiful. The concept is private villas, and by private, they mean private. Each villa looks out ont its own coourtyard, hamac, private pool and wetland. Each villa in addition to the private pool has a private outdoor bathtub. An evening bath with lighted candles as you gaze at the stars takes on a whole new level. Each villa exudes luxury, the bathroom area is a delight. Turndown service is the best I have experienced anywhere in the world.

I attended a seminar, and the meeting rooms, service and food were wonderful One night included a dinner party in a bungalow by the beach. Seafood was wonderful. Our rate included a buffet breakfast which was huge with a selection that was impressive.

Cons: Except for a very few limited villas, the villas do not have a beach view, nor are close enough to hear the waves. Transportation from bungalows to the main building and the beach club area is by golf carts. My husband found this annoying (not efficient) I did not mind. The resort provides bikes for a small fee, this is definetely the way to get around as it provides liberty and the trails through the jungle and golf courses are very relaxing. As one would expect from a hotel of this cost, aside from the free breakfast buffet, food, even in the "casual" beachside restaurant was very expensive. We spent US$100 for lunch at the beach restaurant, and decided to rent a car and eat in Playa del Carmen most of our meals.

Service: Polite, with a smile but a bit slow. I think once you pass a few days, you adjust to the local speed.

We rented a car and visited Tulum and went out to dinner to Playa del Carmen. Definetely liked the Playa del Carmen vibe more than Cancun. Playa had better "local" restaurants, jazz and night spots. Less touristy and showy than Cancun.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

2 Thank MonicaAtlanta
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Dear MonicaAtlanta

We do thank you for your resent visit and more over for your full detailed feedback.

One of the purposes of Banyan Tree Mayakoba is actually to create that romantic ambiance that provides you with all the necessary elements for a nice experience, we do thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed our associates’ efforts.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Area General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Zionsville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

My husband and I traveled to the Banyan Tree Mayakoba for a long weekend trip with another couple in late August of 2011. We rented a car and drove to the property from the Cancun airport. It took us about 45 minutes to an hour to reach the resort complex. The Mayakoba resort complex contains the Banyan Tree, the Fairmont, and the Rosewood Hotels. Once inside the large, main gate (with security personnel who verify your reservation) you drive through winding paths of trees & grasses to reach the actual hotel. You will encounter at least one other security guard on the path to the resort, who will again verify that you are a guest of the resort. May seem like a bit much, but I did feel very safe at this resort.

All the villas at this resort have their own private pool, which we loved. It is actually large enough to swim around a little bit, or have at least 4 to 5 people in it. The villa had a good sized courtyard area with two beach chairs and an umbrella set up by the pool. The villa entrance has a large privacy fence, and large bushes frame the other side of the courtyard. Privacy is paramount here, which is great for couples.

The villa itself was beautiful. It was very large and airy, due mostly in part to the 20 or 30 foot ceiling in the bedroom area. The bathroom is well appointed, with a rainfall shower, ceramic Mexican-inspired sinks, and an outdoor bathtub. You will also receive two travel kits-one for men, one for women, with any sort of toiletry or other amenity you could possibly need.
We also really liked the large, walk-in closet, that allowed us to keep all our luggage (including my scuba gear) and clothing out of sight, but well organized and easily accessible. The mini-bar in the room is nicely stocked, and there is an iPod/iPhone dock in your room should you want to play your own music. The only issue we had with anything in the room was trying to get the coffee maker to work! My husband struggled with it for a while and finally did get it to work.

We had a great meal at Saffron Restaurant, excellent service, wine selection, and food. On our last morning at the Banyan Tree, we asked the staff to set up a private dinner for the four of us in the resort's wine cellar that evening. They gladly obliged, drew up a menu, sent it to us for approval, and paired excellent wines with each meal course. Our waiter was extremely attentive, friendly, professional, and well versed on both food and wine. Definitely one of the highlights of our trip.

The breakfast setup was well done and had a myriad of different choices, from eggs prepared to your liking, to cereal, yogurt, pastries, fruit, and some Asian specialties. The freshly-squeezed and/or prepared juices were delicious! The experience is taken a notch higher with the addition of sparkling wine. :)

We liked the pool with the swim-up bar, and the beach was also well maintained. You can either request a golf cart to take you to the beach, or take a boat through the mangrove-lined freshwater estuary. The bar had a great atmosphere to relax with friends and enjoy drinks and tapas. There was even live music on some evenings.
My husband and our friends utilized the gym, and enjoyed the facility and the equipment (all brand-new and top-notch!)

Should you want to go anywhere around the resort and not walk, simply call the front desk, and a golf cart will arrive in short order to pick you up and take you wherever you wish.

I would definitely recommend renting a car and getting off the property (as nice as it is!) to explore Playa del Carmen, the Tulum Ruins, and some of the other smaller towns, like Puerto Morales.

Bottom Line: We would certainly return to Banyan Tree Mayakoba. The service, food, and facilities were excellent and top of the line!

Room Tip: All the rooms have private pools and courtyards, I don't think you could get stuck with a bad ro...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear krnesbitt

We thank you immensely for taking the time to share your experience with others.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and wish to thank you very much for your gracious comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon.

Warm Regards,

Long Island City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

An amazing trip!!! The minute we entered the grounds of the resort we left all of our troubles behind. The place is absolutely beautiful and the service is by far the best I have had yet... Omar was especially great and a pleasure to chat with in the morning during breakfast. We were upgraded to a villa which was a nice surprise although it didn't have a jacuzzi ..this was a little disappointing as I was so looking forward to those relaxing moments and the turn down service with all the candles that I read so much about . The one suggestion I would have to make is that the lighting in the rooms are a bit to low in the villa we stayed in, especially in the bedroom since it is on the lower level (the villas have 3 floors)...it felt a bit dark at times. The food at the Sands (at beach & pool) was really good... we tried a few mixed drinks and was not so thrilled about them (a bit watered down) so we stuck to drinking ice cold coronas. The best drink I had at the resort was at to hotel's lobby bar "Copa". We also ordered food there which was great and not pricey. We also had dinner at Saffron (wanted to experience it) and I was not thrilled at all. It was definitely over priced and in my opinion not authentic Thai food..fine but not great..and again the drinks soso @ $15 per drink..didn't taste any alcohol in them at all and very small glass. We did go into town at Playa de Carmen 5th ave one night for dinner..cab there from hotel $20..cab back $12. You can easily catch a cab back on 5th. It was fun for one night..the rest of the trip we just stayed at the resort and ate there. For the transportation service to and from the airport; I arranged through "USA transfer" for a private car/van @ $80 total round trip for 2 people. Service was great and on time...could have went through another service "Best Way" for less but wanted our own car so that we didn't have to make any stops. We also added the stop to the "Big K Mart" for an additional $30 to pick up some stuff although the driver recommended to take us to a different store instead which he said was just as good (said it was closer to resort and to avoid construction traffic) was not great ...fine for the basics (water,soda,cigs) would not suggest. Overall it was an amazing trip. I was so sad to leave and definitely would go back!!!

Dear Trip Advisor User

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba Family, I thank you immensely for taking the time to share your valuable feedback and recommendations to other Trip Advisor readers.

Thank you for your notes on our effort in making your stay more enjoyable and smooth. We are very proud of our staff and comments like yours are welcomed by all of them.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kindest regards,

Area general Manager
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

If you want to feel in other world, please come here to experience it.
Excellent service, rooms, staff, place, spa, etc.
I stay only 2 nights and was enough to relax.
Restaurants are five or more stars.

1 Thank salomas
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Dear salomas

I appreciate your kind comments about Banyan Tree Mayakoba. Making our guests feel pampered and forgetting their daily tasks and worries, are some of our goals, and I feel glad we have achieved them during your stay.

Looking forward to welcome you soon,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

Banyan Tree is great. The service is excellent, grounds are immaculate.

Good Stuff:
1. We got a free upgrade upon our arrival which was nice.
2. It was our anniversary and the hotel left us a bottle of wine and flower petals on our bed congratulating us.
3. Saffron has an excellent, excellent atmosphere and the food is great. It is worth the price.
4. All of the staff, from the beach to the restaurant to the general people we passed were super friendly.

OK Stuff:
1. Bed in the townhouses were not amazingly comfortable. OK but not great.

Tips:
1. Go to Playa del Carmen for a night at least. It will be worth it for the money you save on dinner.
2. If you rent a car, the gas station outside the airport WILL try to rip you off. They do accept credit no matter what they say.

Dear Brendan O

We really appreciate your complimentary notes regarding your recent stay at our Sanctuary of the Senses.

It is wonderful to know that you had a great experience at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba Hotel.

Looking forward to welcome you soon,

Kindest regards

New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

we went for a long weekend and it was way too short. i could stay here all week. it's a haven and just what my husband and i needed after a crazy few weeks at work. the service is amazing. we can't wait to go back...

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Dear treeston

I am glad to know that you had a chance to take a nice and relaxing long weekend and that you have chosen the Banyan Tree Mayakoba for that. Hopefully we well have the chance to welcome you back again; We are looking forward to pamper you again,

Vicepresidente
Área General Manager
NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

I went with my newly wed wife to the Banyan Tree Mayakoba in early November. This resort is simply stunning; I have been to none better.

You get your own Villa with a decent sized pool. The pool isn't heated but, personally, was a great way to kick start the morning. You could walk right out of your bedroom, open the doors, and jump right in. The yard was very well kept, bordering the snaking mangroves/streams. There are ipod docks. Mini bar. In room dining. They give you little gifts every morning.

The staff was kind, very concerned about your needs; I asked for some ice, they brought coolers of ice to my door. The rental car company had forgotten to return my credit card, they called them up and took care of it. One of the bartenders, who earlier in the week gave us a highly recommended Tequilla tasting, showed us out to look at the moon through a telescope on the lobby terrace.

The food for breakfast was very good with plenty of options. It's a free buffet style with anything from sushi, to chicken curry, to waffles, to papaya and kiwi. We dined at the Saffron and Sands. I wouldn't say Saffron is a must; if you have good Thai food in your city, which we do as we're from NYC, then this isn't anything mind bending--and is a bit pricey. The location is nice; watch out for mosquitos. Sands is better; a bit more casual and with more Mexican flavors. We also had several mean cocktails by the beach around Sands--all of them strong and tasty. Do know that all food, and activity charges, come with a standard 15 percent service charge, which you can add more tip to.

We had a sports massage which I'd recommend. Beautiful grounds for the spa. We took the free Eco tour by the Banyan tree in the lobby. Also recommended as we saw some Cenotes and Crocs. We also took a yoga class; our teacher was wonderful, she knew her stuff, but i'm not flexible, so I may have embarrassed myself. You can rent bikes but the walk isn't too bad and you can also call a buggy and they'll take you right there. The lobby's bar has live music at night and sell cigars. The reflections pool is well designed, clear and cool; you can swim around in a small loop and also wade right up to the pool bar.

I would suggest making it out to Playa del Carmen if you're at the resort for more than a couple days--the food and experiences there are welcome changes to the secluded, relaxed scene at Banyan. We rented a car but they will call you a taxi.

The only complaint I have was the way I was charged...My account had a hefty deposit held on it for several days after I left and I wasn't able to access any of those funds. It was resolved eventually--but I had to wait four days after I got back until that held deposit cleared.

Best experiences: Lounging in our backyard in the Villa drinking Tequila, waking up and jumping in for a swim, having lunch and cocktails at Sands, Tequila tasting.

Good but not musts: Spa treatment, Saffron.

Five star trip and resort.

Room Tip: Beach side is far away from lobby; try to stay closer inland.
2 Thank whit88
Dear whit88

Thank you for coming to our sanctuary of the senses. We are happy to read your nice comments like the ones you posted on the Trip advisor website. Your compliments about our hotel facilities and associates services are very much appreciated.

It is very gratifying for the Banyan Tree Mayakoba team to know that we could meet your expectations.

In regards of the check in procedure, we have verified it, so we avoid mishap like this in the future.
We do look forward to welcome you back to our hotel.
With kind regards