“Better Than Five Stars- Best Resort We Have Ever Experienced”

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New Hampshire
“Better Than Five Stars- Best Resort We Have Ever Experienced”
Reviewed May 16, 2009

Seven of us, from age 18 months to age 80, had our best vacation ever at Grand Velas. We have been to many exaulted places, eaten at great restaurants, and usually want a little better than is provided. There can be nothing better than perfection, and Grand Velas is perfection.

Reception: After a little confusion at the airport, corrected instantaneously, we were checked in while sipping wonderful hibiscus tea, seated at a comfortable sofa. Everything done well. I was blown away by the lack of attitude and pretension. My 3 yr old was not exactly pleasant after the train ride, but he was deescalated by everyone around us.

Rooms- We had one pool suite and two ambassador suites. All were impeccibly clean, free of ants, mosquitoes and all the other issues that some regard as tropical "charm" The minibar always full, the linens better than Four Seasons, wonderfully powerful air conditioning, and a view to die for. Huge in size, we wanted for nothing. Each day housekeeping would make sure the marble was compltely dry so that my 80 year old mother would not slip.

Beach- Well cared for, always clean, with wonderful service. Some areas had a coral/rocky botton, but there were plenty of areas to swim and walk on soft sand. Drinks were provided before asking- always everyone remembering your name and what you liked to drink. My 9 yr old had his mango smoothie without even having to ask. Plenty of shade, sand, chairs.

Pool- The most beautiful I have ever seen, composed of tens of thousands of granite tiles. The kids side is larger than the pools at most of the resorts, the water clean, incredible service, and comfortable chairs. I wanted a tasting of different reposado tequilas one day, and the bartender at the pool bar poured me a tasting of 18 tequilas, and described the properties of each one. Amazing. Utterly amazing. My brother the lawyer and his pageant queen wife did not want to leave the pool area.

Food- The best part of the resort. Will go over each separately.
Room Service- Simply wonderful. Breakfast is nirvana on your patio in the morning. Other meals excellent, but did not come close to breakfast, and were less excellent than any of the restaurant food.
Asian - forgot name- Good, but not great. The duck did not have the crackling skin I am used to, and many of the tasty treats were not hot enough, but this place is outrageously beautiful, located in the master suite jungle area.
Piaf- I believe the chef is from the Loire Valley, and the food is deep, robust and magnificently presented. Service superb, and all wine glasses were Riedel. The place evoked a 1930's French bistro, without the smoke. The filet I had was simply the best I have ever tasted.
Frieda- The only "fine dining" restaurant that allowed kids. This place is stunning, with marble, granite, a waterfall, excellent views, and delicious Mexican food. The striped bass here could not have been better, and the levels of complexity amazed me, having eaten at Frontera Grill, and spent much time in the wonderful restaurants along the Mexican coast.
Azul- Had the most wonderful breakfast buffet. Tiny quantities of fruits, freshly queezed juices, cheeses, pastries, mexican dishes, several ceviches, and great great coffee. We had probably 8 meals here, and I never thought I would be praising a buffet. My kids loved the eggs cooked for them, and the view to die for.
Bistro- My second favorite restaurant, in the adult section. I will always remember the awesome langoustines, grilled with a bit of lemon, garlic and olive oil, and one day when they did not have then, the chef found some lobster and served that grilled. The charcouterie all homemade, and the pastas to die for. The menu is huge, and my only suggestion is to allow kids for lunch. BTW, my son loves sushi, and this was made for him daily, exquisitely fresh fish that I stole from his plate. Guadaloupe, simply put, could teach his craft to the waiters at Fench Laundry. He put them to shame.

Autor- The best of the best, and one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten in. If you read some of my other reviews, I tend to rarely gush. Each meal, involving 6-10 courses, were works of art. This rivals Arzak and most of the new wave Spanish restaurants in Barcelona and San Sebastien The sommilier, Miguel, was encyclopedic about wines, and the description that he provided were pithy and correct. Wine is my passion, and he knew everything. We ate here four times out of eight dinners, and could eat here every night.

Kids- The facilities were great, and the caregivers intensely protective of their charges. This is one of the few places that I felt comfortable leaving the children alone.

In short, we cannot wait to return. This is an incredible gem, and I felt bad that the swine flu fiasco(I am a physician), hurt this place and tourism in general. It is expensive, but worth more than every peso.

BRAVO!!!!

aadesmd@yahoo.com if you have any questions

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
9 Thank Dani71

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
jmtcu418
Reviewed May 9, 2009

We have stayed at the other Grand Velas property in Nuevo Vallarta and loved it so much that we were excited to go back. But, when we saw a new property had opened up, we were excited to try this new one out as well. What can I say, we didn't think anywhere could top Grand Velas NV, but THIS resort did. The grounds and beach are amazing and I can't even begin to praise the service. We were waited on hand and foot and esp at night at the restaurants, there was nothing we could ever want for. Our favorite was the Spanish restaurant with the chef's tasting menu. SO GOOD! On par with the best places we have eaten at in the states and the wine pairings were superb.
The pool was beautiful and very quiet. We never had a problem finding a comfy bed and never had to wait for a tasty poolside drink. The service was great and very attentive and they'll even bring you lunch so you never even have to move out of the glorious sun (unless you want to!)
There weren't a lot of families when we were there, and that was something we liked. Very romantic and relaxing. We will DEFINATELY be back again!

5 Thank jmtcu418
New Jersey
Reviewed May 9, 2009

My entire family (10 of us) went to Grand Velas for my father's 65th bday celebration. On the eve of our departure, the news of a "swine flu" in Mexico appeared on the tv, but we decided to go anyway since we planned this vacation so long ago. From the moment we arrived the staff was incredible and the place was absolutely gorgeous. The grounds were perfectly maintained with lush vegetation and the pool was amazing. The kiddie pool was massive and did not even seem like a child's pool. The resort was obviously not at capacity b/c it was post Easter and a crappy economy. News of the swine flu probably caused many cancelations.

ROOMS: The rooms were very large...much bigger than rooms at the Four Seasons or Ritz Carltons. They had a private balcony with a table and chairs and a cushioned outdoor bed to lounge on. The bathroom was great-large shower w/seat and a separate large tub. We had two beds and a crib for my son.

FOOD: Outstanding for an all inclusive. The selection at bkfast was so vast and the restaurants were great. The restaurants that allowed pple 19 yo or older rivaled any top notch NYC restaurant.

The weather was perfect....the poolside service was great and the staff did everything they could to calm our fears about H1N1. We have been home one week and everyone is totally fine and healthy. We would all return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank EMF31
Bend, Oreogn
Reviewed May 3, 2009

After spending a lot of time trying to make a decision on where to stay in the area we could not have been happier about choosing Grand Velas. The resort, spa & beach were absolutely fabulous! The service from the moment we entered the gates was unbelievable. The entire staff was attentive and it was very impressive that they frequently addressed us by name. We felt so pampered the entire stay.

The location was perfect - the beach is very spacious and is kept so clean (especially compared to other nearby resorts). There was never a problem with finding a relaxing spot on the beach or by the pool and there were plenty of cabanas & umbrellas for shade. The main pool is so big that I can't imagine it ever feeling crowded. The menu for lunch and snacks was extensive and they even accomodated requests not on the menu. Don't miss Gasper at the swim up bar, he's a super fun guy and has an amazing memory about what types of drinks you prefer.

We stayed in an Ambassador Suite on the top floor. The view was beautiful, it's so much better in person. The pictures just don't compare!

The restaurants were amazing. We tried breakfast at Azul and the Bistro, both were great but we preferred taking advantage of the room service option and dining on our patio. The menu delivered with turn down service was a nice treat. You just select your breakfast and delivery time and leave the card on your door at night. Dinner options were excellent - Frida and Cocina deAutor were our favorites. The restaurant quality is far superior to anything we expected at an all inclusive resort. The servers were very professional and it was helpful that they would explain each dish.

The spa was such a treat and was well worth it. The pre-massage hour long water journey was a perfect complient to the experience. The gym was also very nice, with great equipment, a personal trainer, and yoga classes.

There was free WiFi throughout the resort (including the beach). The staff could not have made us feel more comfortable, we loved everything about this place and can't imagine finding a higher quality option anywhere!

7 Thank TBerg
Monterrey, Mex.
Reviewed May 1, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Grand Velas from April 19-23 for our wedding anniversary. We had stayed before at Grand Velas Puerto Vallarta, but this is far better! Everything is new and beautiful...we were upgraded from jungle area to beachfront suites, so it was a nice surprise.
We love the beach and there were always enough shade and beach chairs. If you walk into the water there are some areas with sea grass and, as not to step on it, we snorkeled off to the break wall where we had fun looking at the little fishes and with no rough waves..
We went twice to the Spa and it was wonderful..they have a big area with all kinds of pools and pre-massage therapy.
The restaurants are amazing, you can't believe this is an all inclusive resort! I seems like your are in Las Vegas, or anywhere else. All the staff is just willing to please you.
We loved the hotel and want to go back with my children in the summer before everybody discovers it!

6 Thank CZV
London
Reviewed April 27, 2009

I stayed at the Grand Velas with my 2 daughters for 5 nights from April 6th. We spent a long time researching our holiday and were looking for a luxury hotel with good food, good service and lots of sunshine! After weeks of trawling through various Trip Advisor comments, we stumbled across the Grand Velas, which ticked all the boxes. The good news is, when we arrived the boxes remained ticked!
We booked our room through the hotel directly, which appeared to be the cheapest option. Maude and Marlem at reservations were very helpful and made this process very easy for us.
After a long and stressful flight from London via Miami, we arrived late at the hotel. The taxi service that was arranged through the hotel was waiting for us at the airport – a large white van that could accommodate several people if needed! We were greeted in the lobby by the lovely Orlando with drinks and the obligatory registration. Sadly we were just too tired to appreciate how gorgeous the open plan reception was, and declined his offer on the hotel tour.
Our room was vast – two large twin beds, modern interiors, and a large, spacious bathroom with plenty room for the 3 of us to relax and spread our girlie stuff round the room. The beds were really comfortable, the sheets soft and the pillows were squishy and fantastic!
In the morning we initiated ourselves with breakfast at Azul. We were warmly greeted by all the staff but notably Omar who very quickly learnt that we liked our coffee after we collected our food from the buffet and that we didn’t like our plates taken from us en route to our table from the buffet. This was the only thing we could criticize Azul for – there were loads of staff to the number of guests staying at the hotel, and though it shouldn’t sound like a criticism, they were falling over themselves to carry our plates back to the table. Maybe as a Brit, this is something we didn’t like. Breakfast was consistently good and the fruit juices were particularly good! The eggs were freshly made to your order and there was plenty of variety.
Each group of rooms is assigned a “butler” to oversee your stay. We had Ana who we could not fault. She was friendly, sincere and helpful. Each day we told her which restaurant we would like to eat in and she personally reserved a table for us. We also needed more amenities for the room such as towels, hangers, another robe and slippers and also some more water. It would’ve been nice, as they were expecting 3 guests for the room to have already had these but Ana very quickly accommodated us.
As the hotel was only 50% capacity (or less), it was not too difficult to find sunbeds round the pool. However, hardcore holidaymakers clearly get up early there and several of the best-positioned beds were hogged by about 8am. If the hotel was more full, reserving a bed should not be permitted. The pool staff were again, numerous and very willing to help if we needed a drink, some snacks or just erecting a parasol for us. We particularly bonded with Carlos who was extremely friendly and very helpful catering to all our needs. Tadye was also lovely, and was happy to pull 3 beds into a new position for us as it was so busy by the pool. We also really liked Kaspar the barman who serves up wonderful drinks all day long. 1 criticism was that the pool water by the bar was a little too cold.
On to the restaurants! This was the most surprising aspect of this all-inclusive hotel. The restaurants were mostly a far better standard than we had ever expected – sometimes a little too pretentious perhaps. As a caterer myself, we found the Cocina del Autor to be the most original and experimental. We entered into the spirit of it by having the taster menu. The staff were great and explained each dish and also pointed out that should we want more of one thing, they would be happy to accommodate. In fact, they couldn’t do enough to please us. The second restaurant we went to was Sen Lin in the jungle area of the hotel, which we got to with a courtesy bus. The menu was unusual and interesting and probably one of the busier restaurants. Again, the staff were incredibly helpful and the food was delicious and beautifully presented. I had the crocodile and my daughters had the duck. The third night we went to Frida. This one of our favourite restaurants. Again original, beautifully presented and the staff, though a little more subdued, were helpful and polite. The lamb shank, recommended to me by the waiter was delicious. The fourth restaurant, Piaff, was possibly the most disappointing and also the quietest. The room was decorated in dramatic black and red with chandeliers and mirrors – Bordello style. We were assigned a waiter, who was slightly creepy and seemed disinterested from his job. We then got assigned another, and although friendly and helpful, we felt he was a little bored. Perhaps the lack of customers was not helping this. The food was ok. Living near France, we are very familiar with French food, but this was the restaurant we felt didn’t hit the mark. We had 1 lunchtime in the room as it was so busy by the pool and we ordered room service. It was delicious, arrived quickly, and was again beautifully presented. We also had 1 breakfast in the room which was different to the type of breakfast we would’ve had in Azul and we were very impressed with the standard of it.
The hotel was clearly eager to please their guests and we felt a 5 diamond award would be duly deserved. After we left the Grand Velas, we stayed a further 5 nights at the Ritz Carlton in Cancun, considered to be the best hotel on the strip. Compared to the Grand Velas we felt let down and we really missed the Grand Velas and the staff and would’ve happily returned there.
The grounds were phenomenal and the gardeners constantly tended to the lawn and the beach was beautiful and cleared of debris every morning.
I was with my daughters aged 21 and a very grown up 14 yr old. Obviously we didn’t qualify for the “adult” section of the hotel, but similarly we felt we did not want to be played with families with young children either. Something maybe the hotel should look into or rectify in someway? The only other comment we have is that at the end of each meal, we were unsure as to whether or not we had to keep tipping. We were presented with a bill to sign and felt obligated to leave a tip, which we did. I do believe that when the staff are working so hard and are so pleasant, they do deserve one, whether or not it’s an all-inclusive hotel. We didn’t feel that they were working so hard to receive a tip, sadly something we felt the Ritz Carlton did a little too often!!
The criticisms we make really aren’t that bad as the standard was so high. In the past we have stayed in Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental’s in other parts of the world and felt Grand Velas could hold its own up there with the best of them. Although this was not a budget friendly hotel, we felt in this instance you get what you pay for and at the Grand Velas you are able to get a lot.
We have not posted any photos with our review simply because photos do not do this hotel justice. Rest in the knowledge that when you arrive, you will be more than happy with what you receive.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
11 Thank simsgirls
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 26, 2009

We stayed at Grand Velas in March for 5 nights. Hotel is 30-40 min drive from the Cancun airport and 15 min drive from la 5ta. We arrived on a Tue and the hotel seemed to have low occupancy from Tue-Thu and only really seemed busier on Sat. We were the only guests in the restaurants Tue – Thu evening. There was also plenty of room poolside and on the beach. Everything about the resort was amazing, except for the customer service – which was disappointing enough for us to not be able to fully recommend this hotel. Read below for details.

Location: The hotel location is perfect for a relaxing vacation. It is far enough away from the loud, crazy atmosphere of la 5ta, but also a short drive from it.

Beach: The beach in front of the hotel is great. It is a little rocky in some areas, but there are still areas that are walk-able. Water was warm. The hotel cleans the beach and grooms the sand every morning.

Food: The hotel had the following restaurants open – Azul, Bistro, Cocina de Autor, Piaf and Sen Lin. The first 2 are the more casual family restaurants and are good. The latter 3 are the more formal restaurants that are “adults only” at night. Our favorites were Cocina and Piaf. I am vegetarian and the chefs were very willing to create special vegetarian dishes for me. Sen Lin was OK. The food at all the restaurants and cafes was excellent for an all-inclusive. And at Cocina and Piaf the food was pretty close to 5 star. Even the food at the poolside bar area was tasty. We also got room service for breakfast and it was very good.

Gym: New equipment, great personal trainer available.

Hotel: We stayed in the Ambassador Suite. The hotel room was very nice and spacious. Very comfortable king size bed, high-end furniture, nice flat screen TV, balcony, etc. The ocean and pool view was amazing. One thing to note: the room description on the hotel website is incorrect – there is not a couch sitting area (only 2 chairs) or remote controlled blinds in the Ambassador Suite. There was one issue we encountered with our first room. The air conditioner was making a strange noise, which we mentioned to our “butler” the minute we walked in, rather than switch us rooms they insisted on trying to fix it, 3 different times. In the end, we were moved to a room that was not as nice as our first room, but they said that was all they had available – which seemed strange considering it felt like a ghost town our first couple of days.

Customer Service: The food service people and “butlers” were very nice and helpful. However, that same cannot be said for the lobby and concierge workers. They need training in 5 star customer service – especially since they are part of the Leading Hotels of the World. In addition to the poorly handled room switch when we first arrived, we encountered 3 other service issues.

1) We booked via Orbitz and saw there was a promo for 2 free massages or golf per person per stay. We did not receive confirmation from Orbitz, got to the hotel and told them about promo, hotel said they were not aware of promo, we contacted Orbitz who told us it was a hotel promo, we spoke to the hotel and after furnishing a print out of the promo that appeared on Orbitz they said they would honor it, next day we were told after we booked the spa appt that the promo was not valid, I spoke to the same hotel lobby person who now said that his boss reviewed it further and decided it was not valid. Both Orbitz and Grand Velas were at fault for the runaround that we received, but the hotel had the opportunity to remedy the situation and instead made it worse. It was extremely frustrating and not 5 star service.
2) Hotel claims they will pay for the transportation into town, but that you pay the way back. The cab driver picked us up, dropped us off in town and was expecting payment from us because the hotel did not pay him. We paid him and paid the driver that dropped us back off at hotel. We told the hotel, they seemed confused and said they would look into it. Nothing happened. Not 5 star service.
3) In order to contact Orbitz, we had to use the hotel phone. Charge was $5 per connection. We tried calling 6 different times, but the phone would connect and then cut out 10 seconds later. The 7th time finally worked. At check out we were told we had to pay the $5 connection fee for the 6 calls despite the fact that their faulty line dropped our calls. No compromise, no apologies. Again, not 5 star service.

If you never have to interact with the Lobby help, you will love this hotel. If you do, don’t waste your time trying to clarify any issues, you will only end up frustrated.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank LSLA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,715 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,737 reviews
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,368 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#23 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,139 reviews
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#75 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,794 reviews

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!