“Ultimate Luxury”

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My husband and I returned home on Saturday evening from 6 days at this wonderful resort .
The entrance to the hotel is very impressive . You feel like a movie star as you enter the gate
Check in was very smooth we stayed in the Grand Class room 4066 room was exactly like web site. We had rain the first 2 days but made the most of it as we had a couples massage and checked out the Zen section and Ambassador section closely by even being shown rooms in both
Sections . We stayed on site for the entire trip as this was our 13 th time to Mexico .
We ate at all of the resturants for supper and went to Azul for Breakfast .
We loved the Lamb Kabobs out by the pool as you could order food pool side
We spent most days at the Ambassador pool .. I would highly recommend a trip to Grand Velas to anyone seeking a first class vacation . Sure it was on the pricey side but was worth every penny .
I even had my picture taken with Louis Van Amstel as he was there .

Beach was groomed beautifully but as others have said wear water shoes in ocean as it is rocky

The only area that I thought that needed improvement was service around the pool was very slow

Room Tip: The 4 th floor was great to view the ocean from the balcony
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ann Barket S
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

Thank you Ann for having chosen Grand Velas for your latest vacation in Mexico. I am especially pleased as you found us to be the “ultimate luxury” in all of your experiences and as you have mentioned it is a “pricey” investment, but I am glad that you consider it to be “worth every penny”. After working so hard in the northern climes we know how important it is to relax and be catered to. Thank you also for taking the time to tour the other ambiences that makes up Grand Velas. Now you are well informed as to the diversity that we offer and the different luxurious styles that one can be pampered in. I hope that your recommendation of us reaches many people, as the accounts of real travelers such as yourself are the best references as to what an ultimate luxury vacation really is.
Thank you again Ann and a special appreciation goes to you and your husband in Minersville, PA. Take care

There are newer reviews for Grand Velas Riviera Maya

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Great hotel, incredible experience. Great food and great drinks.

The only issue is we had event at dinner and one of the waiters stole an iphone. When security was alerted they checked, but claimed we lost it. Which was not true. In an conference room where we had meetings we did catch someone stealing a phone.

Probably the best hotel I ever been too in the Riviera Maya, and been going for over 12 years, just watch your phones.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the hotel rooms closest to the beach.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank gringo1974
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts and experiences concerning your business trip in February. Although I am very excited about your high praise as us being probably one of the best resorts that you have been to, as Director General I am concerned over your comments on problems with two cellular phones. In all honesty, we have searched records in our security and convention departments but there is nothing we have registered in question to the events described by you. Would you be able to send me more specific details concerning your stay and the electronics mentioned? I would definitely appreciate knowing more on this. I do thank you for your good rating in spite of these events and I look forward to your correspondence.

Take care and all the best in your future business endeavors.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

My daughter chose this site for her wedding. It was stunning. The resort is 5 star and 5 diamond and deserves more stars and diamonds if they were to be had. The setting was stunning with flowers every where. The rooms are all suites so very large and comfortable with plunge pools in most. The food was some of the best I every had and I'm a bit of a foodie. The wedding was beautiful. The wedding planner delivered everything they promised and made my daughter feel like a queen. Spending quality time relaxing with the grooms family was the best part of the trip. I don't think in any other venue would given us as much time together. We're going again just the two of us.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank karengodley

Congratulations Karen on the blissful matrimony of your daughter and for the special union of two beautiful families. I am so very glad that our wedding coordinator “delivered everything promised” and that the setting and amenities were to you great liking. To be chosen out of the many options as the right place where matrimony begins is an honor for us and we know how important and special it is for the bride and groom as well as for the entire wedding contingent. That is why we go the extra mile in our service and product to make it the dream that eventually becomes reality on our beautiful and tropical setting.
Thank you Karen for sharing your happiness with everybody and we look forward to your couple’s getaway just shortly.
Take care and please send our blessing to the young bride and groom. All the best!

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Let me start by pointing out that our opinion of this hotel is influenced by a comparison with our fantastic stay last year at the sister hotel at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit. I will begin with the major negatives for us first so if they are a deal breaker for you, you don’t need to even read the rest.
So here we go…..

Grand Velas Riviera Maya is approx. 45 mins from Cancun airport. We arranged private transport through the hotel concierge and it was very efficient. The location and grounds are amazing. We pulled up at the beautiful front gate and were duly processed through the large heavy wooden security gate.
Little did we know we leaving Mexico and entering the lesser known region of “MexiNO!” and this was the biggest issue for us…. Never have I heard the word NO so often on vacation, let alone at a 5 star all inclusive resort. Here are some examples “ no you cannot have the cocktail you drank at one of our other bars/restaurants at this bar/restaurant” ‘No you cannot have a vanilla milkshake, we only do chocolate throughout this resort” (so all the other vanilla milkshakes my son consumed must have simply been an apparition then) “ No you cannot have cucumber in your water” and so it went on. This is a resort that is fully aware that it has a captive audience who has paid in advance. Customer care is virtually non existent unless you flash a $20( now bear in mind that’s $20 per day for each breakfast/lunch/dinner service, room cleaning, pool service, concierge who call daily to make dinner reservations and so on) There is no welcome drink or massage as advertised and its true they have no problem in closing down the beach and bars for corporate entertainment. Room service do not come daily and when they do they do not always do the job, snacks/drinks/coffee provided in the room fridge come from a separate service and ours were only replenished twice in our 11 day stay. The kids play equipment which you see in the promotional photos was only there once in our 11 day stay. The tweens club allows kids of any age and provides free access to some pretty mature video games and the whilst we did not use the younger kids club we could clearly see inside the club and rarely were the staff engaged with kids who usually were playing a lone or watching the same movie daily. It is difficult to get anyone to do anything poolside without flashing some green, they will not bring you a towel or take a drink order. Most people just go get there own after waits of 30-45 mins. It was not overly busy they just blatantly ignore you. Sadly this is a resort that knows you are a captive audience and on the whole they really do not care.

Here are the positives about the resort, it is beautiful, clean and well cared for. There are exceptions to the poor customer care, the piano bar has excellent friendly and accommodating staff ( however this one of the bars closed off for corporate events), the beach is beautiful ( when its not closed for corporate events) and the water is clean, the teen club staff member was very friendly and welcoming to our son with out an expectation for $$. The restaurants are all superb, except for the Mexican where we were treated so badly we actually abandoned the meal and left the restaurant. The spa is equally wonderful and we both highly recommend.

If you are looking for a luxury all inclusive family vacation we would highly recommend the sister hotel Grand Velas Riveria Nayarit. In fact the staff should spend a week there to learn what great customer service is. The rooms are better, the spa is the same, the grounds are great as is the location, the bars are great, the restaurants all blow you away, the reception staff are courteous, the pool staff will get you any drink and try to get you any food you want even if its not on the menu. The one thing we both noticed was that the staff at this hotel never smile or give eye contact, they are totally detached and that makes us suspect an issue with management.
At Riveria Nayarit they are happy and will remind you "it’s your vacation, you work hard, so relax and enjoy it." We are not a super demanding family and try to see the best in where ever we go,but our advice is give this place a miss, either save your money or go the Grand Velas Riviera. If you do go here take a stash of $20s and hold on because I promise you are in for a bumpy ride and bear in mind that whatever you liked the look of may, or may not, actually be available to you when you get there.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
19  Thank soupee_uk
DirectorGVRM, Owner at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

Thank you very much for bringing your experiences and concerns to my attention. To have a guest or a family so disappointed in Grand Velas is certainly concerning for me. Rodolfo Gonzalez is the new General Manager of Grand Velas Riviera Maya since last month, after having that same position in Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit for almost 3 years. He has been with our company for the last 20 years and understands our service philosophy very well. It is important to know that the philosophy of our Group of Resorts is very focused on the client and their comfort and well being, but it will be my onus to solidify the consistency between the two Grand Velas in order that this type of comment does not appear in the future. I firmly believe that tipping is at the discretion of the consumer wherever it may be and that the level of service in the four Velas hotels is at a superior plateau than that of the competition. However I respect your comments and on behalf of the 1,300 Grand Velas Riviera Maya employees I sincerely apologize to you and your family for the impression that was left on you and I will share this review in a general assembly of personnel so that they are aware of your experience. In doing that, we will go forward giving the priority to our valued guests with the goal that we will surpass their already lofty expectations. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and I do hope that in the future we can demonstrate to you that we do have what it takes to make a very successful holiday. Take care and kind regards to you in Minnesota.

Ing Juan Vela Ruiz
VICEPRESIDENT
VELAS RESORTS
jvelavr@velasresorts.com

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Resort was touted as highly rated, thus we spent 30% more to stay here compared to other resorts: results were mixed.
- booked grand class suite: one large window was severely dis colored obstructing view of ocean. When we complained, we were told because we were staying in suite, they could not repair. (Move to another room???).
- splash pool on terrace was dirty, with discarded water bottle laying on bottom. Thus remained dirty for three days until we complained.
- rooms do not stock hard liquor. Even though it's an all inclusive, when asked for this to be included in mini-bar, request was denied.
Spa: wife suffered 2nd degree burns in steam room.
Beware of this place.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rroesken
DirectorGVRM, Propietario at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

As Vice President of The Velas Group of Resorts it hurts me deeply to read a less than satisfactory experience such as the one you and your wife had with us. I was informed of course on the incident regarding your wife in the steam room and I wished to immediately send our qualified first aid team to your suite to attend to your wife, but thankfully you mentioned that it was not necessary. Although this incident has not happened at any time before, we did take the measures to relocate the floor vent to a more isolated location in the cabin. Please pass along my personal apologies again to your wife and I hope that she eventually enjoyed the treatment that was of course granted to her. For the conditions of your terrace and Jacuzzi I will not attempt to make excuses, but I will personally see to it that our suites are in optimum conditions and not a single one is given to a valued guest without first being verified as being rentable. I genuinely thank you for bringing these comments to my attention and I will truly work towards eliminating these types of anomalies in their entirety.
I would wish that we could host you and your wife in the future in order to demonstrate that my actions have been implemented to the full degree and also to grant to you VIP status during your stay.I wish you an excellent summer and leave you with my sincerest apologies.

JUAN VELA
VICE PRESIDENT
VELAS RESORTS
jvelavr@velasresorts.com

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Hi, now im going with the GRAND VELAS
Is another kind of Luxury that you can go and enjoy.
I usualy go to a smaller hotels, but the beach that is located this hotel, I new it before they build the hotel, so I dont spend any time to go after they open.
We try the two zones from the hotel
the hotel that is in the jungle, that have the spa, our garden has a zenote, and it was spectacular.
And then we change to the ocean front room, with our little pool in the balcony.
We love the experience in the hotel, all the details are very well taken care off.
The food is very nice, they have a great selection of restaurants.
Iwent only with my husband, but you can also take your children, they have activities from them too.

Room Tip: If you are seen the hotel from the sea, i like the ones that are on the left, i think that the ones...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DEBNYC
Reviewed May 30, 2014

AMAZING- My husband and I visited Grand Velas in the Riviera Maya for our one year anniversary and we can’t wait to go back. I cannot say one negative thing about this resort. My husband has always been hesitant to visit Mexico but after this trip I don’t think he will go anywhere else. He was very concerned about the drinking water but we had no issues. They serve bottled water everywhere. We also drank frozen drinks and drinks on the rocks (ice cubes) and never had an issue.. totally fine. This place blew our honeymoon to Sandals out of the water!

Transportation-We were greeted at the airport by a private car service which brought us directly to the resort within 35 minutes. This was a seamless process provided by the resort for $75 each way

Check-in- We were greeted at the car and walked to a beautiful lobby area where we were served a refreshing drink and a cold towel. This was a much nicer way to check in than walking up to a check in desk.

Room- We stayed in the Zen area with a private pool, comfortable king size bed, Jacuzzi and large bathroom. Upon arrival we found an anniversary card with fresh roses. The rooms was perfect. Do not be skeptical of not staying in the “main” area. The shuttle literally runs every 5 seconds if not more frequent. We never waited for a shuttle and everything is less than a 1 minute ride.

Service- OUTSTANDING! The staff throughout the resort was super friendly and helpful. We spent a lot of time at the Grand Class pool and the pool staff there was great. I wish I could remember the team of guys waiting on us because they certainly deserve a shout out. I can’t say enough about the staff throughout the resort. They were all GREAT! On the night of our anniversary we had a bottle of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and a Jacuzzi filled with rose petals waiting for us.

Food- 5 STAR! We are from Boston and go out in the city a lot and I think the food here was at least the same as eating at Capital Grille if not better. We ate at all 6 restaurants and I honestly couldn’t pick a favorite.. They were all amazing. We ate at Bistro in Grand Class every morning for breakfast. Full menu, no buffet. Loved it!

Drinks-Extremely impressed with the top shelf liquor and the generous pours.

Overall- We will be going back here year after year if possible. You will not regret your decision if you visit this resort.

The Griffins