Message from TripAdvisor:

TripAdvisor has been made aware of recent media reports or events concerning this property which may not be reflected in reviews found on this listing. Accordingly, you may wish to perform additional research for information about this property when making your travel plans.

“The best ever”

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Ranked #3 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 27, 2014

What an amazing holiday, the best we have ever had. We visited Grand Velas to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary and were a little concerned about “all inclusive” we read the reviews before we departed the UK and we had high expectations of the resort based on the trip advisor reviews. We were not disappointed, the resort was amazing, the staff are friendly and cannot do enough to make your holiday a relaxing and enjoyable experience. We visited over Easter and we were told that the resort was full. There is so much space, with many restaurants and bars to choose from that nowhere felt crowded with maybe the exception of the main pool.

We moved around the hotel trying the beach area and the infinity pool overlooking the beach but always ended up back at the Zen Pool area. The staff there were so attentive and got to know you by name and remembered your favourite cocktails. They would even move all your stuff if you wanted to move to a more or less shady spot. Oscar, Gerado and Bautista at the Zen Pool made our experience a wonderful one.

We tended to stay around the Zen pool in the morning and sometimes would venture to the beach late in the afternoon. The Zen Pool was very quiet with very few kids around and the best service was at this pool with the guys constantly keeping you topped up with drinks (soft and alcoholic!!)

The room was palatial with a beautiful bathroom, vast bed and desk and seating area and in addition a private veranda with a view of the Zen Gardens. The mini bar was stocked every day and there was also a Nespresso machine in the room and again the capsules were restocked every day.

The food was to die for, I have never eaten so well on holiday. There are 3 breakfast venues to choose from. Chaka was the closest for us and was a buffet style breakfast with fruits and yoghurts, a continental selection of meats and cheeses, a cooked section with Mexican and American type foods, pastries and breads, and an egg station where you could get any style of cooked eggs. Azul overlooked the sea and you could sit outside or inside and had a similar selection to Chaka. Bistro overlooked the infinity pool and again you could sit inside or out but you ordered from a menu.

At lunch the same three restaurants were available or you could get food and drink brought to your sun lounger at the pool or on the beach. Azul is buffet style whilst Chaka and Bistro have a menu. The food was incredible in both restaurants but our favourite was Bistro, which was more fine dining than Chaka. We ate lobster and scallop dishes for appetisers followed by sea bass, fillet steak , salmon and fresh pasta dishes for mains. Desserts were also good and our favourites were the cheesecake and chocolate cake options. All the food was beautifully presented and tasted divine. In Chaka at lunch I did have an awesome tuna salad with freshly seared Tuna Steak and we also had a chocolate fondant dessert there at lunch.
In the evening we visited Sen Lin (Asian) Piaf(French) Autor (tasting menu) Frida (Mexican fine dining) Lucca (Italian)…Bistro and Azul were also open in the evening but we only went there in the day. We tried all restaurants and the food standards were very high and the décor in the restaurants superb. Every course was beautifully presented and the food tasted amazing. Our favourites were Lucca and Piaf. At Lucca I had the best chocolate mousse ever and a very nice fillet steak, cooked to perfection! At Piaf we had the best ever French onion soup and also a perfect fillet mignion….the chocolate dessert trio was also pretty great…..the waiter matched a different wine to each course.

All the food was served in small portions so you were able to enjoy 5 course meals without feeling overfull. The wine selection was good also and the sparkling wines were of a very good standard.

There were also a few bars to try ….all had a very comprehensive selection of different cocktails, and we tried quite a few of them. We also enjoyed a G&T before dinner and all the bars had our favourite Bombay Saphire brand.

We also tried the room service a few times and they set a table up in the room so that you could dine comfortably. The food arrived quickly and was very good. You could order food 24 hours a day and we did order a 4am snack after a nigh clubbing Playa del Carmen…which was promptly delivered.

The service was so good we did regularly tip the staff when the service was good. We just got our pesos changed into 20 and 50 notes at the hotel reception. We felt that the staff deserved to be tipped because they were just so helpful. On our day of departure we had a late flight and our all inclusive ended at 12 noon..the concierge organised a meal for us in Chaka before our departure at no extra cost.

All in all, the holiday of a lifetime. We never go back to the same place as we like to try new experiences but I have a feeling that we will not find this level of luxury again and we will go back to Grand Velas.

Room Tip: Zen Area is quiet with private Verandas
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gilbertmanse
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Why thank you so much Gilbert for such a detailed review on our culinary tour. My executive chef and I were very pleased when reading your comments on the dishes that you tried and immensely enjoyed. We said to ourselves that we must have made quite a positive impact for the guest to remember all the dishes from each dining venue. We were also pleased that based on the positive reviews of TripAdvisor you decided to select us and to have your happy approval makes us that much more proud of the product and service that we provide. And now after reading and investigating reviews you have now come full circle writing one of your own based on your successful holiday. Well done! Gilbert, we thank you again for your patronage and from all the 1,300 Grand Velas employees we wish you an excellent 20th anniversary. And warms greetings to you both across the ocean in the United Kingdom.

Cheers!

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Just returned from a mother-daughter trip with another family. We stayed in Zen, they stayed in Ambassador. While I didn't see their room, I'm not sure you really need to spend an additional $300 a night just for an ocean view. Our room at Zen was incredibly spacious and clean with all the amenities you could want except for more towel hooks in the bathroom and somewhere to hang wet swimsuits. Taking the shuttle was very easy and not inconvenient at all. We spent all our days on the beach so we got our beach fix.
We ate at all the restaurants and enjoyed them all. We each had a different favorite which to me shows there's something for everyone.
We had a $50 spa credit that we put toward a massage. While the initial cost seems high for a massage the credit makes it more reasonable (at least compared to the New York area where we are from) and you get the addition of the 90 minute hydrotherapy treatment. This includes a few minutes in the sauna, ice room, steam, clay, hot and cold pools, jacuzzi bed and then hot and cold jacuzzi plunge. It's so relaxing and great and then you go for your treatment which included so many unique touches that made for a wonderful experience. You start by resting your feet in a bowl of uncooked millet. Weird to imagine but unbelievably relaxing.
The workers were great. Everyone wanted you to have a great stay. We didn't not tip additional since it's supposed to be included. We still felt we had good service.

Room Tip: If you stay in Zen, I would not get a plunge pool as it would attract mosquitos.
1  Thank CANJGirl

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments for all to see. I am glad that the massage together with the water journey was well worth it. It is a package really meant to pamper you from head to toe and leave you “unbelievably relaxed”. The goal of our service is to provide a superior service for our guests while being proactive. I believe that we reached that goal with you as you say “the workers were great!” Our hope is that someday you can revisit us in another mother-daughter vacation and enjoy again another successful holiday.
Thank you again and all the best to you in New Jersey.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

My family of 5 ( with 16, 13 and 12 year olds) returned from a wonderful spring break in 2 adjoining rooms in the Ambassador section. We all had an amazing time!! Service was great (especially our butler Dinorah - who attended to every last detail time after time!! - she truly is a gem!).
Most things have been stated over and over in prior reviews - I will touch on a few things relevant to us:
` although the Zen section was beautiful - especially with children - spend the extra $ to stay by the beach
` Easter week was completely occupied and while the resort otherwise did not seem over crowded (ie restaurant wise) - it was a little annoying to walk to breakfast at 7:30 to see all of the pool chairs taken (but not occupied) - fortunately, we were just as happy to stay by the ocean -- but really, even during the peak hours many of those" reserved" chairs remained unoccupied --
` either enforce the dress code at the restaurants or remove it (as with my previous comment - these unfortunately, are mostly aimed at guests behavior not the Grand Velas)
`I feel that we had wonderful service with or without tipping - I did bring a few hundred dollars of one and fives which I gave out not because it was expected but because I felt it was deserved
`we all had a wonderful trip - a perfect mix of relaxation, activity (slip and slide soccer - thank you Sergio!!!), togetherness, and yet also adult time (thank you teen room!) !

2  Thank mommd23

I am very glad that your teens and you were thoroughly impressed and that they were kept happily busy while you could enjoy some precious adult time. The Teens Club was conceived with the enjoyment of both the young ones and the parents in mind. It is nice to be at 100% occupancy and not have our dining venues feeling overcrowded. We rely heavily on a reservation system as well as a dress requirement in order to establish and maintain an orderly and fashionable ambience during the evenings. As you know, reservations can be made beforehand and our dress and age codes are stipulated on our web page and also on much of our correspondence in order to avoid “surprises” during one´s vacation. A special thanks to Dinorah and Sergio for their part in contributing to the wellbeing and happiness of your family´s holiday.
Thank you for your splendid comments and from all of us at Grand Velas we send you warm greetings to New Jersey.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

We had an great time at riviera maya grand velas resort and to capture the moments we used Dreamart Photography. Ludovic deforseau did an amazing job capturing them in some awesome lifestyle family pictures we are going to frame and hang on the wall. He is a Profesional photographer and the photos turned out amazing.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Gabriel, thank you for selecting Grand Velas for your family vacation. It is very nice to have the memories captured for all time and I am glad that Ludovic was the right person to assist you in doing it. I hope that every time you see the portrait on your wall you will think of us and the splendid times that you and your family shared together.

Thank you Gabriel and best wishes to NYC.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Great stay at this resort. Some hiccups on service level as I would rate it below the Puerto Vallarta resort in Nayarit but overall a great vacation. Beautiful grounds and excellent beach front made more memorable by Pedro and Santiago who provided excellent service. Please see them when heading to the beach front as you will never go without anything for the entire number of days you are there. They are located immediately to the left when heading down to the beach from the Azul restaurant at the Ambassador. Our concierge was top notch as well, Sebastian, made our golf trip and all other accommodations pleasant and he was always available.

Issues we had were at the restaurant, where several locations were forgettable, including Lucca and Piaf. Cocina was top notch as well as Frida and Bistro and Sen Lin was excellent although in all locations most of the guests did not adhere to the dress code. At the Puerto Vallarta location the dress code is strictly enforced and does make for a memorable experience.

Make sure you visit Koi at night at the Zen lobby location as it is truly memorable. Not much else to do at night at the resort as it pales in comparison to Nayarit which has an outdoor theatre with acts performing several nights throughout the week along with vendors setup for a nice touch on perusing the locale favorites. Nayarit also had a fire show with performers at night on the lawn in front of the lobby area. Would recommend management add these touches to the Playa del Carmen location.

Check your bill on any promotional offers as credits were not directly applied and there was an instance of a double booked transfer on my bill as well and without any apologies from the front desk. If it wasn't for Pedro and Santiago at the beach and Sebastian as the concierge then the rating would be much lower so take advantage of their presence and ask for them by name.

Jim and Tiffany

Room Tip: We stayed on the scone floor but for vacationeers that like walking out directly to the pool then st...
2  Thank James H
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Thank you very much Jim and Tiffany for selecting Grand Velas and also for bringing your concerns to my attention. When there is an area that needs addressing or improved I certainly wish to be aware of it in order to rectify a process issue. The failure of adhering to our restaurant dress code is definitely an area that I will reinforce amongst my managers and captains. The requirements are clearly stated on our web page, individual restaurant confirmation and in our information booklet, so we must enforce what we stipulate. Please excuse us for the confusion of your invoice. We are a upstanding organization and when there is a mistake on your suite account, please know that we will always do the right thing. I am glad that Sebastian, Pedro and Santiago were instrumental towards the overall enjoyment of your stay. These gentlemen are to be commended for their extra efforts when providing the special touches that made your vacation very positive and memorable. Jim and Tiffany, I apologize for the oversights that affected some areas of your stay and I hope that you will continue your preference toward The Velas Group of Resorts.

Thank you again and special greetings to NYC.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Grand Velas - Riviera Maya was my choice for my first visit to Mexico. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the property and architectural design of the various lodging accommodations fused with the beachfront, pools, and lush landscape.

All areas of service, from personal greeting with herbal ice tea upon check-in, to assigned concierge, poolside attendants, restaurant staff, and general housekeeping and groundskeepers...everyone was professional, friendly, and attentive.

I stayed at Ambassador with my family (3 generations of "young women"...68...44...and 13yrs old). We all thoroughly enjoyed the pool area, and visited everyday...with occasional walks on the beach. The hotel was at ~75% capacity, which was great for me and mom, but my shy teenager was a bit bored, as there weren't many kids her age at the resort. The teenage activity room was phenomenal...they were just no teens there, it was practically empty. I'm sure it was due to the time in which we visited the resort.

My only negative comments pertain to animal and pest control. As I am a native New Yorker and not too fond of all elements of outdoor living, I tolerate it to a minimum. Our frequent visits to Azul restaurant for breakfast and lunch required us to fight off pretty, but aggressive black birds who perched on tables, food stations...anywhere for a chance to swoop down and take food directly off plates. The waiters would sometimes 'shoo' them away, but clearly they were accustomed to it and was on the losing side of the battle. It was impossible to enjoy your meal outside. So after a couple of days, we moved indoors...here, we found a long trail of ants parading from the wood ceiling, down the granite column by the buffet, right onto the buffet display...bacon serving dish to be exact. Again, the staff wasn't surprised, and on one occasion, took a white serving cloth and casually wiped down the column, then went about his way. The same 'ant situation' existed everyday. We also had room service and 'knat/lice like' bugs were crawling atop and under the dining linen. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. Needless to say, we never ordered room service again. Mosquitos were a minor issue in the room and we once had also had a lizard attempt to enter our ground level room, but this is expected...I guess.

All in all, we had a great time, just a few bad experiences with Azul and room service.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank jorotraveler

Thank you for selecting Grand Velas as your first trip to Mexico. We are very proud to have had that honor and we strive very hard to make a first favorable impression. Being in the tropics however does have its challenges in terms of the nature that surrounds us. We do our best to control insects inside our facilities with programmed treatments that detract the intrusion of ants and such, especially within our dining venues and suites. I do apologize profusely for not having covered the area completely, but I will take steps to reinforce our processes. I am glad however that “all in all” the three generations of your party enjoyed yourselves. I hope that you find it in you to return to Mexico in the future and to Grand Velas in order to witness and feel firsthand that your experience with nature was out of the ordinary.

A warm thank you goes out to all you girls and from all of us we send kind regards to Atlanta, Georgia.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stayed at the Zen section. Most of our six night stay (family of four with 8 and 10 year old boys) we spent on the beach. Our first day was at the pool, which was a bit dissapointing as the staff member was quite lazy and not attentive to his section. Yes, every small section within the pool area and beach area are covered by two staff members. They are responsible for bringing you drinks and whatever food you might have wanted.

Remainder of our stay we always went to the beach. As you pass Azul restaurant (I disagree with some reviewers that the food was not good; it was quite good), and head towards the beach, come down the stairs, look to your left - this area of chairs and umbrellas is covered by two very attentive individuals - Pedro and Santiago. These are the two most hard working people I have met at this resort. They set up the chairs at 7AM and I assume they leave after 6PM. As soon as you sit down at your chairs, they bring you water in an ice bucket and ask you if you would like to drink anything else. They will offer you food, they will bring you anything your heart desires. We greatly appreciated all their efforts and thanked them accordingly at the end of each day. My boys even gave them a hug at the end of our trip and told me that they already miss them. Wow! What a service!

We dined at all restaurants and you will find your favorites. They are all different in service and food. Our opinion is that all restaurants are great. The drinks, again I must disagree, were all great. There was so much liquir in our drinks that you can handle only so much. If you are there to get "hammered", yes, you will get there; it will not take much only a couple of drinks as they are all mixed drinks. After about 2-3 drinks you will probably get to that point.

As mentioned earlier we stayed at Zen. The shuttle bus that brings you to/from Zen was very efficient. All drivers are very polite and will offer you a towel if you have a wet suit. If you are not a lazy person, all the walking back and forth within the beach, pool and Zen area will only help you maintain your weight and you will not be coming back home with extra 10 pounds to lose. So, those reviewers that are complaining about all the walking are just lazy and cannot seem to enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

If you want to do an activity off the property, speak to the travel staff. We did a half-day tour called Riviera Maya Extreme. We were picked up at 8:50am and brought back at 2pm. It included snorkeling in a fresh water pool in a cave - the boys loved it; repeling from a 70 foot tower - only my husband loved this one; and three zip lines - all four of us enjoyed. Lunch was included. Total price about $350+/-. The driver and staff at the park property were very professional. You can also purchase the disk with all the pictures from all three activities.

If you are planning on coming to this resort, go and enjoy yourself. Pay little attention to the negative review and make up your own mind while there.

Remember, Pedro and Santiago will make your stay very comfortable and enjoyable.

7  Thank Marina T

Thank you very much Marina for your candid comments on your recent family vacation with us. I am very pleased that our culinary tour was to your great liking and that the drinks were to your approval. Santiago and Pedro are certainly two of the more popular beach staff as many guests have been mentioning them on this forum. Please be rest assured Marina that they will be properly recognized for the outstanding service that they provide to our cherished guests. On the other hand I already had my food and beverage manager revise the service ethic and structure at our Zen ambience and I can now assure you that you will not feel that you will have to move to another ambient in order to be well attended to. I hope Marina that we will have the pleasure of hosting you and your sons again so that everyone can be reunited with Pedro and Santiago.

Thank you again for your comments and all the best to you this summer up in Worcester, Massachusetts.