“Amazing Resort!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Flint, Michigan
“Amazing Resort!”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We just came back from a week long vacation with our four children (12,7,5,3) and we had the time of our lives. Everything from the room, the amentities, the restaurants, the pool, the beach, room service, etc... was perfect. The staff pampers you from the moment you leave your car to check-in to the moment you check-out. Our concierge, Dinora, was so nice and friendly and accomodating, she made sure we had everything we needed to be happy and comfortable. The Kids Club was great for my kids when they were tired of outside and needed some indoor time. The restaurants were amazing, service was impeccable and the cuisines of the restaurants were diverse so every night we had something different! We felt like royalty throughout the whole trip and the best part was it was all inclusive you didn't have to take your wallet from your room for anything! The infinity pool was amazing and HUGE! My kids had a blast and didn't want to go back home. The cherry on top of this trip was our DreamArt Photography session, were Ludovic took amazing pictures of our family...We will cherish these memories forever... I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to go to Mexico!!

1 Thank BKN2014
DirectorGVRM, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Thank you very much for selecting Grand Velas as your vacation destination for you and your four children. I am very pleased that they not only enjoyed themselves, but were kept happily occupied by the various activities in the pool area and in the Kids Club. As you mention, our culinary tour is really quite diverse in terms of options and venues and it is very convenient when traveling with a large family. The all inclusive aspect of the vacation experience creates an easing comfort when the kids start to ask for snacks and drinks. It certainly makes the time stress free for you in not having “to take your wallet out of your room”. I hope that you were able to take advantage of the convenient, 24 hour suite service for when you or the little ones felt the need for a snack or an entire meal. And thank you for your glowing mention of Dinora, one of our concierges. I will pass along your kind words to her and I am sure that she will remember you fondly. I am very happy that your experience left a very positive impression on you and I am also very grateful that you would recommend us to anyone looking to vacation in Mexico. Thank you again and warm greetings to you and your family in Flint, Michigan. Take care.

rgonzalezgvrm@velasresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (805)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Alberta
Reviewed April 4, 2014

This is an amazing resort. We took my parents (73 and 68) for my dad's birthday. We (38 and 38) and our two boys (3 and 5) stayed in the Ambassador section and my parents stayed in the Zen section which worked out very well. The shuttle between the two sections is always running and is not an issue at all. We enjoyed the Ambassador area as it was more lively for the kids. The pool bar is great. The pool service was also very good.

The beach is wide. Lots of rocks all along this area of beach, but there are clear areas where you can wade in with the kids.

The food at this resort is well above the quality of other resorts including Secrets Maroma (which I also love) and the Iberostar Grand and Lindo. Everything we ate was fantastic. I can't pick a favourite because they were all great. My kids absolutely loved the grilled shrimp. The buffets were also well above the quality of any other all inclusive buffet.

The service here is as fantastic as everyone has described in previous reviews. Our concierge, Santiago, was great. Our kids absolutely loved him.

We absolutely loved this resort. Can't wait to go back for another family vacation!

Room Tip: Zen area if you are looking for a quiet vacation with great service. Ambassador section if you are...
1 Thank alberta10
DirectorGVRM, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
It makes us feel very nice that you decided on our resort to celebrate three generations of family togetherness. Please pass along my congratulations to your father on his recent birthday. I hope that the cake and the celebration were to his liking. It is nice to see that your children made a special bond with Santiago your concierge. He and others in his department are a true wealth of information and assistance when getting the most out of a vacation. My executive chef will be delighted to read your kind comments comparing his culinary offerings to those of other resorts that you have stayed at. Our culinary tour is certainly a large part of our product and one that really stands out from the competition, as your children can bear testament to with their satisfied appetites. I am pleased that you “absolutely loved the resort” and that you cannot wait to come back. Please know that when the opportunity permits that myself, Sanitago and our 1,300 co-workers will be honored to serve you and your lovely family again. In the meantime have an excellent summer and kind regards to your family in Alberta. Take care.

chicago
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We loved our stay at the grand Velas riviera maya. It is our second time around and the service remains the best there is in the area. We also used the photography service at the hotel, even though it is on the pricy side, the pictures are really good.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your continued loyalty to our resort. As a veteran of Grand Velas you have come to know very well our personalized and professional service and I thank you for pointing that out. I am glad that you thought that the photography services were very good, however pricy. But you and your family will still be able to enjoy the happy memories with every glance at them for a whole lifetime. Thank you for your comments and I hope to see you again to create more enjoyable memories. Take care and kind greetings to Chicago.

Firestone, Colorado
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We stayed for six days with our two kids (4&9). We paid for the private transportation and I personally think it is worth it. We were greeted right when we got there with wet towels and drinks. It is beautiful! Everything is in its place. Nothing is run down or uncared for. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. We stayed in the Zen area. We payed extra for that plunge pool that is supposedly a luxurious thing to have... It was ALWAYS dirty and freezing! Don't bother with the Zen plunge pools. You are in a jungle area therefore the jungle will be in your pool. The back patio was very nice and the kids loved watching the turtles and fish. We loved the Zen area! There was always a shuttle to take us to the other section. We only waited once for longer than a minute. The only time I got really annoyed was when there were a couple nights there was a corporate event or something right behind our room and the music was so loud it was vibrating the ginormous back door. This went on until 11PM. When you have little ones on vacation their sleep is important. So I was annoyed. It wasn't very Zen to have blaring music right behind the few feet of jungle between you and them. Ear plugs and sound machines came in handy! And make sure to request a "do not disturb" on your phone for nap times or they will call!

The service was mostly great. Very friendly!! But like previous people have said... Take money for tips even though they say tips are included. We tipped about $400 while there. I got sick of it towards the end. It just irked me that they say tips included but if you don't tip you don't get service. I swear they kept notes on each suite on if they were tippers or not. They always asked for our suite number and you have to sign a bill every time. Just made it awkward. And the "bills" you sign are outrageously priced!! So they expect 15%-20% off of the phony bill they give you.

Food.... We don't eat seafood. A lot of the food is seafood. It wasn't what we expected because of all the great reviews we read on here about the food. Every time we ate at the buffet at Azul, it was disgusting. My kids ate bread and noodles mostly. The morning breakfast buffet at Chaka was pretty good. That's where we ate the most. Fresh fruit and lots of selection was great there. Lucca was pretty decent and Frida was good. Those were the only two that had enough on their menu for us. I guess we just aren't fancy enough. The pool menu was pretty small and I didn't really like anything. I'm sure it is a lot better than most all inclusive in Mexico. It just wasn't our taste.

The kids loved the Kids Club at Zen! They begged us to go back multiple times! Made bracelets and watched movies, nothing fancy, but they loved the atmosphere and the people. It was nice to have that option and wish we would've used it more actually. We didn't do the spa thing. I wish we would've. But we would rather go on a private snorkeling trip with the kids than spend that much on a spa treatment.

I give it a 3 overall because I really didn't think the food was that good. Maybe it's great for an all inclusive but I want it to be out of this world good for the money you pay for this place. I also didn't like the whole tipping thing. If it's included like they say the staff better be paid great and shouldn't expect or accept tips. Considering how amazing the staff is I would hope they get paid properly! It had wonderful things about it but every place is gonna have bad things as well. Since it is so expensive we expected more. We would stay there again but it would have to be less and now we know what to expect.

4 Thank Jayhaykay17
Thank you for bringing your concerns on your recent stay to my attention and for presenting a balanced review of the positive qualities along with some observations that I will need to address internally. I do apologize for any shortcomings that you encountered during your vacation with us. We really do strive for to meet and exceed our guest´s expectations resulting in the justification of monies well spent. When a cherished guest experiences less than favorable service and/or product it makes us analyze internally the processes that we have in place and what we need to do in order to avoid that other guests have the same perceptions. I sincerely wish to be your host again at some future time so that you may see that we are a progressive company with the ability to make changes based on the market and of course on the constructive comments of our valued guests. Thank you again for your candid review and special greetings to Firestone, Colorado. Take care.

Boulder, Colorado, United States
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We traveled to Grand Velas Riviera Maya for spring break with our kids. We stayed in the Ambassador Suites. This resort is one of the few 5 diamond resorts in the area and it shows. I can’t imagine an all-inclusive being any better and would say it’s as good, if not better, than Ritz/St.Regis/Four Seasons, etc..
The resort was completely booked but never felt crowded. I never had a hard time getting a beach or pool chair and it felt like we were at a half-full boutique resort. The pools are large, quiet, and have plenty of great areas for lounging. The beach is the best I’ve seen in the Riviera Maya area.
The Suites are spacious, clean, and in great condition. The bathrooms are awesome with a giant tub and a shower bigger than my entire bathroom at home.
The food is absolutely amazing. Every meal was unbelievable and something that I would pay hundreds of dollars for at home. Nice solid wine selections with every meal. The wait staff is very knowledgeable on the food and wine and was very helpful with pairings.
The service was very good all around the resort. I have to say that Victor and his team on the pool and beach went above and beyond and were always making sure you were taken care of. Victor understands great customer service and strives for his team to execute it.
We went with our two boys, 6 & 8. They loved it. The kids and teen clubs are very nice. The teen club allows kids 8 years and older. My 8 year old LOVED it. It has limited supervision there, which is why he probably loved it… but you have to be ok with that and ok with the fact that they’ll be playing video games the entire time in there. The kids staff also did some great activities in the beach/pool area. One day my 6 year old played soccer on the beach and another we all played water polo in the pool.
My wife and I also spent several hours at the Spa. I have been to some amazing spas around the world, but I can’t say that I’ve been to anything even remotely close to this place. It’s in an entirely different league. Huge, beautiful, and great service. I could have stayed in there all day, and my next trip I will.
Grand Velas is very expensive, and that’s why I only gave it 4/5 on value. However, it’s by far the best all-inclusive resort we’ve been too, and I can’t imagine others coming close.

4 Thank TomKboulder
Thank you Tom for your motivating review of your family vacation with us this past March. To be favorably compared to the other hotels that you mention is certainly a positive boost and demonstrates that we are going in the right direction on our service and product. I am glad that you found our suites to be very spacious, clean and well equipped. Actually, many resorts in this region would consider a suite like yours to be their Presidential or Governor Suite. That’s how luxurious they really are. Which is just one reason that we are a certified 5 Diamond hotel within the hospitality industry. I am very pleased that you found our culinary tour to be ranked among the best that you would find in your home town. We planned ahead in meeting the culinary needs of our upscale clientele such as yourself. Your kind reference to our knowledgeable staff is the direct result of ongoing training behind the scenes to new products and trends. I thank you for mentioning that point. It pleases me immensely to know that your children were well entertained throughout their vacation and that your wife and yourself spent hours in our spa giving in to the pampering that you truly deserve. Tom, it is always a pleasure to see the happy times and smiles of our satisfied guests and it would be even a greater pleasure to host you and your lovely family again in the future. From all the staff here at Grand Velas we send you special greetings to Boulder, Colorado. Take care and enjoy an excellent summer.

Bermuda
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Beautiful hotel. Great areas for families and for adults BUT if you want good service you have to tip $10 plus per area. If you don't tip you get zero service. Tip $ 10 the world is your oyster however if you like to move around ie pool with kids in morning $10, then adults area $10 and add restaurants before you know it you are expected to tip $100 in cash per day to get the service you expect from a $4000 a week holiday. Not okay and if this place is worth it's salt it needs to say no tipping and pay its staff properly. Current situation is not ok and not 4 star. Very disappointing. Add a Santander "top performer" event which took over all areas and staff and you quickly become 2 star not 5 star. Go to the Fairmont next door instead and get value for money.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Cameronm67147255
Thank you Sr. Cameron for informing me of your feelings toward our service within Grand Velas. With a long line of experience I have working and managing in all inclusive hotels I know the questionable tactic of staff encouraging tips and also others performing better with tips. It is really an affair that I have minimized here at Grand Velas but in reading the comments of your recent vacation experience it certainly concerns me. As you stated, the ability to reside and enjoy oneself here is not an inexpensive proposition to begin with and extra tips should not be a factor in the quality of service that our guests receive. But please know that I will do all that is possible to minimize that practice if not eliminate it. Every week there is a stipend of your vacation payment that goes to our line staff and it does work out quite handsomely for our employees. As is the norm worldwide: tips are based on performance and quality and never is it an obligation to have to leave a gratuity. I do wish that you could perhaps brought this to our attention during your vacation in order that I could have taken some quick steps at the moment and turn your perception around to a more positive course. Sr. Cameron, I offer my sincerest apologies on your experience, but please be assured that I am working hard to provide the best service in the best manner possible. Thank you again for your observations and all the best to you and your family in Bermuda. Take care.

Peapack-Gladstone, New Jersey
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

This was my second time visiting and it was again fantastic. I got a deal on orbitz and I honestly don't think there is better value out there.(paid approx $525 a night) I prefer the zen area as it's more private and luckily happens to be less money. I'm a bit of a hotel snob and I do not prefer all inclusives but the grand velas is just top notch. The restaurants and food are high end, the service and staff are great, and the suites and amenities are beautiful. See you all again soon.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John V
Thank you John for considering us as “top notch”. We feel a great pride when convincing non-all inclusive fans on the high level of service and product that we provide. You have experienced that Grand Velas is not your typical all inclusive product, but rather a unique blend of superior dining and cuisine in a stunning setting while receiving personalized and proactive service. All this combined has resulted in you mentioning; “See you all soon”. So John, do not forget to shop around for the best deal for your future stay with us and thank you for publicizing your happiness on your vacation with us. Kind regards to Peapack, NJ. Take care.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Car...
#22 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!