Our first experience with an all-inclusive and was very pleased. The property itself is beautiful. Upon arrival you are treated very well with all staff paying great attention to detail and accommodating our check-in with efficiency. I coordinated the trip directly with the hotel and Erika was extremely prompt with emails and return calls and arranged it all perfectly and with ease. When we got off the plane the driver was there waiting for us and it was a quick trip to the resort. Overall the concierge was impeccable.
There are 2 sections to the property. The Zen Grand which is about 3/4 away from the beach and more with a jungle feeling. A shuttle can take you to the beach. The Ambassador section is right at the beach and where we stayed. I preferred this as we like to hit the beach during the day and do not like having to pack up and take a shuttle.
The rooms are large clean and have enough closet and drawer space for a family of four. Teh beds were very comfortable and I am big on bedding and I must tell you the sheets and pillows were Great! Our kids are still young enough where we can stay in one room. We had 2 queen beds and a cot and it was perfect with still enough room. If I had to do it over again I would choose a room closer to the pool and beach so I could walk out and be right by a lounge chair. I believe the rooms in the 1100 bank are right by the pool and beach. Our kids are 10 and 12 and it would have been ideal there.
There are a lot of restaurants to choose from and what I liked was that you could make a reservation which for the most part there wasn't a terrible wait….but I must admit there were 2 nights that we did have to wait almost 30 minutes for our table. Azul is the restaraunt by the pool and beach and for breakfast and lunch that is where you go. Buffet menu, good food and easy for all. Staff is hit or miss for attention to service but still okay.
The food overall was good. Some restaurants better than others. Piaf was not a favorite as the menu was tough to order from and when I did it took a VERY long time for the order to come. Perhaps it was an off night. I think there is room for improvement on the menu options and service. Frida was very good. It was our feeling as a family that the service was a bit slow overall and for dinners the kids get cranky after a certain hour. But this would not deter me from going back.
As with most resorts you must get up early and nail down your chairs outfitted with towels and personal items. Kinda of annoying but what is expected unless you want to tip a guy each day to do it for you which many do.
Not much to do as far as included activities and entertainment. You really need to arrange and plan and spend on your own. There are some all-inclusives that have an entertainment center that provide things for kids and teens to do during the day, but this was not the resort for that. I would encourage guest to go off site and swim with dolphins or do ATV and/or zip-lining. We were unsure of how we felt leaving the property but now recommend that you do as it is safe and a lot of fun and totally worth the money. If you do want to partake in activites like wave-runners, snorkeling, scuba diving etc on site…its all extra. There are resorts that do include some of these activities and I would encourage Grand Velas to give that thought…
They do have a kids Kareoke at night..which is fun and you can leave kids there and grab a bite…but I will admit after a few nights it gets boring for them.
The beach is beautiful and the grounds itself of gorgeous. The staff is attentive to keeping it neat and clean and they all worked very hard. Everyone was polite and helpful and exceeded my expectations. I would recommend the resort to families. The kids can walk around freely feeling very comfortable and safe. The layout of the land is easy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened in 2008, the luxurious All Inclusive Luxury Resort Grand Velas Riviera Maya is one of the newest resorts to distinguish Riviera Maya as a premier vacation destination. The uniquely Mexican world-class hospitality we provide is "Beyond All Inclusive, Beyond All Compare", and we are proud to be the only family-friendly All Inclusive resort in the Mexican Caribbean to have been rated Five Diamonds by the AAA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, HotelsClick, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Velas Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Velas All Suites And Spa Resort, Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas All Suites & Spa Resort, Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Velas Hotel Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico