“Opulence”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Clifton, New Jersey
“Opulence”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I've been traveling to the area for 8 years and have stayed at numerous resorts. Grand Velas is the one resort that sates my "wander lust". There is no need to test the waters at any other resort. Every single detail - from being greeted by my name as I stepped out of the transfer van, the dedicated concierge who checks your needs daily, the dining service, the food, pool concierge, luxury amenities in room, surreal grounds, infinity pools. Even the Mercedes Benz shuttle van that takes you from Zen to Ambassador leaves you with an impression with its cinnammon scented incense. I have witnesses the staff treat each and every guest as if they were the only one here. Assisting families with children manage their strollers, carrying your buffet plate to your table, holding your arm as you step out of the transfer shuttle. All these details contribute to a feeling of well-being and true relaxation.

Bravo to the management of this superb resort. Thanks to Marcos (my concierge during my stay) and to all the staff. You transformed my stress within hours of arrival. Still have a few days left and plan to indulge in the opulence that is Grand Velas!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank danabb2014
GVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
I truly hope that the remaining days of your relaxing vacation continue to provide you the luxurious feeling that you so eloquently described. We do understand the needs of a true vacation in order to remove oneself from the everyday rush and competitiveness that is prevalent in today’s society. For a few precious days we wish make you and all of our cherished guests feel as if they are in the stress free world of opulence that includes being pampered (congratulations Marcos). We also know that we are here for you for all your needs as we try to be subtly, pro active in anticipating your upcoming needs and wants. Together in the natural setting that is Grand Velas and along with our relaxing spa and culinary tour we can reach your goal. I hope that at the end of your journey you can return to New Jersey totally relaxed and with your internal batteries invigorated while feeling a true sense of satisfaction in your decision to vacation with us. Thank you for sharing your happiness with the entire world. Myself, along with the 1,200 employees of Grand Velas look forward to being at your service for whenever the need to decompress arises. Please take care and from all of us we send you special greetings to your home in Clifton.
fgarciarm@velasresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Jericho, New York
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

We traveled to grand Velas last week and enjoyed our family time there. Weather was amazing. And hotel wonderful. Staff could not do enough for their guests. Rooms were large and extremely clean. We had a relaxing and peaceful trip and was all because of our wonderful experience at the hotel. We had photos taken by Andri. He was creative and patient and easy to be with. Our photos came out wonderful and we can't wait to display them in our home. The pictures will be a nice reminder of our time spent at the grand Velas resort.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Roxiecav
Thank you Roxie for your pleasant comments on your stay with us. I am happy that you found our suites to be large and clean. We actually perform suite cleaning service twice a day which includes our evening turn down service. And I am glad that the wonderful experience that you and your family shared with us will be forever remembered and thanks to the help of Andrei, the joyful images will be nicely posted within your home. Roxie, I hope that you will have the opportunity to relive in person some of the relaxing and peaceful times that were experienced on your first trip with us. Take care and kind regards to Jericho, NY.

Fircrest, Washington, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Taking the Taxi out of Cancun downtown to the Grand Velas will run you about 350-400 Pesos and take about 25 minutes when you arrive you’ll be greeted very well. The Grand Velas is absolute luxury and is well worth the money $$$ as it is the most money I have ever paid for a stay but every detail in the stay was taken care of. The all inclusive design and spacious grounds allows for breathing room and makes you feel like your one of only a few guests. The grounds are immaculate and cared for well, the covered palapas walkways and lighting and grand entries into each portion of the hotel are modern and spectacular in their colors and use of natural beauty. The rooms are magnificent and spacious and every detail is ready for your use (jetted tub and rain fall shower from ceiling). The staff is exquisite and polite and will go out of their way to assist (misted water and lavander bug spray as needed was a surprise). The food was all 5 star and you’ll have your choice of multiple restaurants that will shock your senses I would suggest the "Bistro" and "Frida" to start. The beaches are powdery white and the water was crystal blue all backdrops for romantic walks and relaxing hot sunny conversation drinking Mango martinis (wish I was back) we stayed for 7 days and didn’t explore all of the grounds or amenities. 230 Pesos gets you to Playa De Carmen for 2 (first trip free on the Grand), 26 Pesos PP gets you on the ferry to Cozumel, Car rental through the Grand is 90$US (or try FOX car rentals out of the Cancun airport I heard they were 25$ US.) Car rental in Cozumel was around 400 Pesos for a convertible bug. I would use the "Ado bus" too if your traveling to and from Cancun to Playa. Plan the tours through the Grand or we used "My Cancun Tours". Travel to and from airport booking it through the Grand via email with itinerary one of the trips is also on the Grand.

Room Tip: Make sure sure you understand the price per person for all inclusives per day
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Profiredog
GVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for your informative and delightful comments. I am particularly pleased that you felt that the expense was well worth the experience.

The details such as the in-suite bathing area, misted water and lavender repellent are just a few of the many “eye openers” that you can find throughout your stay. The five star culinary tour that you enjoyed is a carefully planned selection of options in order to provide the greatest variety and quality selections that make one sense the feeling of elegant abundance. I am glad that you were adventurous and traveled the region through your own transport or in tours.

I am sure that the mango martinis were well received upon your return from such endeavors. Well, now you are not such a novice to the area nor to the concept and level of quality which is Grand Velas. I hope that the next time you are able to visit you will find more nice surprises during your vacation. Thank you again and kind regards to Fircrest, WA. Take care.

Commack, New York
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Although we are still here, our family is already planning to come back next year. What an amazing place this is. Top class all the way. The service is simply beyond compare throughout the hotel. Every experience here has been wonderful. The teen lounge for our kids is fabulous and the hotel amenities great. Our concierge Arendy has been great to us. Our pool waiter Luis attended to our every need and anticipated our desires numerous times. They simply figure out how to NOT SAY NO every time. The restaurants have been amazing and kid friendly.

The pool never feels crowded even though it is close to capacity. The spa experience is another unbelievable feature and highly recommended. We will definitely return here and rank it ahead of our other Caribbean experiences including Aruba, Turks Jamaica.

Don't miss this place.

Room Tip: We stayed at Ambassador and took dinner shuttles to Zen as needed. Easy to do and we loved Ambassad...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank 1jnew1
Thank you for taking the time to express your happiness on TripAdvisor while we are still hosting you and your family. It is very motivating for us that you were moved to submit your review within the luxurious areas of our resort.

I hope that your young ones continue to feel entertained in our Teens Club and that Arendy and Luis keep taking special care of all of you. I am sure that as I write this special appreciation to you, you will already be home. I wish that we will have the opportunity to meet sometime in the future while you are here on property in order to personally thank you for selecting Grand Velas for your new vacation destination.

Again, thank you for your motivating comments and as a team we send you special greetings to Commack, NY. All the best my new friends!

Mamaroneck, New York
Reviewed February 22, 2014

The property is beautiful and huge. It is separated into 3 sections. Two are for kids and the third is adults only. What they don't tell you is that the Zen area is not as kid friendly as they say. The walkways are dark at night and very quiet. The pool is not set up for children. This area is more like a spa retreat for couples. Secluded.
The Ambassador section is a short spotless bus ride away, and the buses come often. We never waited more than a minute for a ride. The pool at Ambassador is perfect for kids. The beach is right there. Manuel is one of the pool managers and he is great. He takes care of everything. Erick and Santiago were our poolside waiters and they were the best. We never waited for drinks or anything. Very friendly and helpful. They worked hard and no one expected a tip but they appreciated when you did.
We would leave the Zen in the AM, where we were staying and spend the day at the Ambassador pool and beach. There were even shows poolside and a bouncy castle. The bathrooms by the pool were clean and well kept. There was no ice cream or dessert bar to be found either, anywhere. There were fancy desserts in each of restaurants but none of the simpler things.
The food at all the restaurants was very high end especially for all-inclusive. The truffle risotto at Lucca was as good as any NY restaurant. Even the room service food was exceptional. Our son actually had a second dinner every night . The poolside food was great and I'm picky.
Be aware there are only a few restaurants that accept kids for dinner and there is a dress code. What they don't tell you is that there is absolutely nothing to do after dinner unless you go to the teen club with your kids to shoot pool or karaoke. The teen club is also beautifully kept. Other than that there is no music or entertainment you can go to. After dinner we barely saw other guests out at all. It seemed strange that after dinner there was an abrupt end to the evening. I would recommend Grand Velas to families as long as you are there to relax and be mellow.

Room Tip: If you have small children who go to bed after dinner Zen is perfect for quiet relaxation. The Ambas...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank GAC215
Thank you for your kind words regarding your family vacation with us this February. I am especially pleased that you and your children really enjoyed the culinary tour. And to have your son dine twice every night is of the highest compliment. Some hotels may cringe when guests order double but my executive chef takes that as a sign of a job well done. And thank you for the tip on having ice cream on hand for the little ones. We will implement your idea right away especially with spring and summer around the corner. And just to reaffirm that we actually do react to your ideas and suggestions, you will be pleased to know that we have opened a new bar with DJ music every night named KOI for your after dinner entertainment option. Now you will be able to dance and socialize every night of the week from 7pm until 3am. This and the free basic wifi are brought to you thanks to your comments and suggestions. Again, I kindly thank you and your family for visiting us and I believe that you have now enticed me to order the truffle risotto tonight in Lucca. That’s now three ideas that you came up with. Have a great winter and we look forward to hosting your family again in the future. I send my special greetings to you and your family in Mamaroneck, NY. Take care.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Couples looking to have a destination wedding in the Cancun area should look no further than the Grand Velas Riviera Maya. My husband and I are so thrilled to have had such a beautiful wedding there just last month - it was everything we imagined and more. Our guests can't stop talking about what an amazing time they had, and we're all counting the days until we can return. Sure, it cost more than most other hotels, but you get what you pay for: a dedicated staff that's always smiling, personal concierge, good food and drinks, gorgeous beach, lush jungle views, fantastic spa, pristine pools, humongous rooms, 24/hr room service, fully-stocked mini bar, etc. And our wedding coordinator, Veronica Jimenez, did an absolutely amazing job at meeting our every need. She helped in making our day as perfect as can be.

Although the property is huge, there are only about 700 rooms total, which means there are never any large crowds at the pools or beach. This was perfect because we wanted an intimate ceremony, and that's exactly what we got. It felt like it was only us on the beach as we exchanged our vows - there weren't tons of onlookers, and there weren't any accidental photobombers in the background of our pictures thanks to two workers who stopped traffic on the beach (not that there were a lot of people walking by anyway). The drinks and dinner included in our package were outstanding, as was the service. They truly make you feel like royalty, and for any girls nervous about getting their makeup done, they use good makeup products from Chanel, Lancome, and MAC at the spa. Even the toiletries stocked in the bathroom are from L'Occitane. Good stuff!The morning of the wedding, all the girls headed to the spa for the hydrotherapy treatment, and it was pure bliss. Our very close friends from home photographed our wedding, and the beauty of the hotel can be seen on their blog: http://ginaandryan.com/cancun-destination-wedding-photographer-riviera-maya-karla-rene/

This place is absolutely heavenly. Thank you to everyone at Grand Velas for giving us a remarkable experience and dream wedding.We can't wait to celebrate our anniversaries here!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
We are so pleased to read that you found the fundamental aspects of our product and service to be to your great liking. Our service, culinary tour, location and view as well as your suite seem to have left a memorable impression. So much that you would definitely return to Grand Velas. On behalf of the chef I accept your fine compliments on our restaurant Cocina de Autor. I do know that when the kids are happy, so are the parents. And our focus in our Kids Club is to have our young guests properly entertained to the degree that they will be talking about their experiences for a long time. Thank you for having selected us as your family vacation destination and we look forward to having the privilege in hosting you again in the future. Take care and warm greetings to Virginia.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Just returned after staying a week at the Grand Velas Riviera Maya in their Zen Suites...... absolutely the best resort experienc eI have ever had. I have travelled extensively and this has been the best experience.

The service was incredible; the gourmet dining was exceptional - you have to try the tortilla soup at Fridas, and our suite was amazing.

If you want a quality experience that incorporates service, gourmet dining and beautiful surroundings - this is the property for you.

Room Tip: The Zen Suites is located furthest from beach but has shuttle service back and forth to the main bui...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GDavid2014
GVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thank you Sr. David for your marvelous comments on your recent stay with us.

I am really pleased that you found our culinary tour to be “exceptional” and that our tortilla soup was one of your favorites at Frida.
Our culinary team will be truly motivated when we post your review in Spanish for them to see and enjoy. I am also very glad that you were impressed by the natural beauty of our Zen ambience, as it certainly is a unique and wonderful experience to live and enjoy.

I consider your recommendation of our property and service to be very sincere and on behalf of the 1,200 Grand Velas employees I thank you for your kind words. Take care and a special hello to Toronto.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
5.0 of 5 bubbles 5,715 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,737 reviews
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,362 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#23 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,136 reviews
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#75 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,794 reviews

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!