“Amazing!”

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Ranked #4 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I felt extremity spoilt staying at this resort. All the staff were very attentive and clearly well trained in customer service.
All the restaurants were very enjoyable and the food exquisite. One of our regular locations for lunch was the Bistro by the adults only pool. Not only a great setting and fresh tasty food with a menu of endless choices but great staff. We were attended to by Daniel each day. He was very well presented, polite and very professional. He remembered our favourite lunch and beverage choice and replenished water and drinks without us asking. Thank you very much for your personal touches and jokes!

The resort was one of the best we have stayed at. The beach was wonderful, wide, clean and perfect for swimming.
The resort grounds were very well kept and the rooms very comfortable indeed.

It was truly an amazing experience.

Emma & Chad

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Acemma
GVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Thank you very much for your positive comments on your recent stay with us. I am happy that our culinary tour was to your great satisfaction and that in particular you found a favorite in our restaurant Bistro for lunch.

Daniel is a great example of the friendly professionalism that one can encounter while vacationing in Grand Velas. I am glad also that you enjoyed the cleanliness aspect of the resort and felt the comfort of your suite, making this stay as you put it “a truly amazing experience”.

Thank you again Emma and Chad for taking the time in sharing your memories of your holiday on TripAdvisor. I will make sure that Daniel receives a copy of your splendid review. Take care.
Fgarciarm@velasresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,431)

Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I previously visited the Grand Velas in Nueva Vallarta by ourselves and we became quite spoiled since we had never been to such an amazing all-inclusive resort. This was not only because of the wonderful staff and service, but also because the food was fabulous. In fact, it was so incredible that I always hoped to go back again even though I NEVER feel like returning to the same hotel when there are so many other choices to experience. The only problem was that we were hooked because after having gone to other all-inclusives, we became spoiled for life!

This time, along with our son, daughter-in-law and granddaughters (ages 8, 6 and 2 1/2), we recently returned from Christmas week at the Grand Velas and it was just wonderful. The property is gorgeous, the food was great and the staff was incredible - respectful, friendly, happy, eager to please. We were greeted with cold drinks and wash cloths upon our smooth arrival from the airport and shown to our rooms. Even though tips were included, we were so happy with the service that we tipped the staff at virtually every meal.

My only regret was that we did not stay at the Ambassador property rather than the Zen (jungle property). Staying at the Zen forced us to use the shuttle to get to the Ambassador where the ocean breezes were incredible on hot, sunny days and where it was so bright and beautiful. The Zen area was humid, dark and hot and the only place I was comfortable was in the pool. The Zen pool concierge, Arturo (and also Antonio!), bent over backwards for everyone there and he was really FABULOUS. They both always had a smile on their faces even though they had to hustle in the hot sun and humidity carrying food, drinks and towels around all day long.

Although we never had to wait for the shuttle longer than about 47 seconds and the drivers were wonderful and often gave us interesting information about themselves or the local area, I would rather have been at the Ambassador, especially since it was exactly like the other Grand Velas property. I also remember the rooms in Nueva Vallarta being nicer than ours at Zen too. Our son and his family, on the other hand, loved the Zen area best because it was quieter and they loved the pool area there since the smallest (and warmest) one was a favorite hangout for our 2 1/2 year old granddaughter.

The pool service in both areas was exceptional, as was the service in every restaurant and everywhere we went at the hotels. We were greeted with sincere smiles by everyone, and asked if we wanted food or drinks so many times during the day that it was crazy! I didn't go to the spa but my husband really enjoyed the hydrotherapy there. The beach was gorgeous and the water was blue, clear and warm. I wish I was there right now! The Kids Korner was great for the kids and the entire resort is very family friendly. They had bungee jumping and wonderful activities for the girls.

I have 2 complaints about the hotel and one was that they should have had more activities by the pools at the Ambassador just as they had at their other property. There should have been water aerobics and water volleyball but instead, there were no activities at all there. My other complaint was that I was quite annoyed having to sign in to the free wi-fi every single day even though we stayed there for a week. There was also a choice of wi-fi for $11 per day but our concierge told us that if we only needed to make calls or look at/send emails, messages, etc. and we were not downloading music or films we would be fine with the free wi-fi. The problem everyone faced was that it was not a simple thing to sign in and choose their network. It sometimes took over 10 - 15 minutes to even be able to connect to it. For over $8,000 for a week's stay there shouldn't be any issues like this at all.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. I happen to be a very hard person to please and I generally do not give such high recommendations so if any of the other reviewers had a bad experience here it was really an exception to the rule. We stayed at both properties and they are both superb places to visit since you are treated like royalty. We can never stay at any other all-inclusive hotel ever again.

6  Thank shoelady702
GVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Thank you very much for your Grand Velas Riviera Maya recommendation to your family after your stay at our sister resort in Riviera Nayarit.

I am glad that your first impression of The Velas Resorts led to a family vacation here in Playa del Carmen. I am equally glad that you felt spoiled while enjoying your visits to our hotels, and it was certainly an honor to please you and your family during your latest stay. As you noted we do have varying ambiences here compared to our resort on the Pacific side.

The Zen ambience where you resided is a mixture of quiet elegance nestled in the natural folds of nature itself. It is luxury and tranquility all in one just a few minutes from the ocean. Your attendants Arturo and Antonio are to be commended for their fine labor in having your family well taken care of when relaxing in the pools of Zen.

Just to let you know, we are changing the sign in procedure for basic internet, so that you only have to register one time during your stay. As for the activities in the pool, we will be conducting a survey with our guests to improve on the activities on the pool.

Thank you for your patience on this matter, and also a special thank you for your kind words about your stay. Please keep in touch so that future stays of you and your family can be equal or better than the ones that you just enjoyed. Take care, and greetings to you and your lovely family.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

This was my first time at the resort. I have stayed at other luxury properties in Cancun/ Riviera Maya including Nizuc and Fairmont Mayakoba. The trip included two adults with each of our children (in total five kids age range 7-15 years old).

Let's start with some fine points one may not notice if you haven't stayed at the previous resorts above:
1. The workers don't stop what they are doing to address you and wish you a good day. At other resorts, this is the norm and stand at attention to welcome you.
2. Upon arrival, no one in our group was given a clean wet wash rag and a drink to welcome us while we awaited to check in.
3. We had to wait for our room to be ready, but no one notified us or brought our keys to the pool to allow us to get into the room. We had to go back to the Zen lobby to obtain our keys. The Ambassador lobby was not able to issue our keys. Oddly, the person who gave our keys to us was just ready to hand the keys to us. I had to demand the person working there walk us to our room and show us the amenities.
4. The service at the beach was AWFUL!!! One AM, we placed our stuff on beach chairs before eating breakfast. I told the cabana server how many people in our party and to have towels prior to return from breakfast. The towels were no where to be found. We had to go get our own towels and place them on the chair. Numerous times we asked for items at the beach like drinks or food and they we had to re-order them because they were never brought after the third or fourth time asking for them.
5. The word(s) no or we can't should never be part of the vocabulary of an employee at the resort. However, this seem to be quite common. My daughters wanted potato chips at the beach. They said they didn't have any despite two chairs over the group was just brought multiple bags. Another example, my daughter wanted sushi at the Asian restaurant (a reasonable requests). But, we were told they don't have sushi. Instead, I insisted upon them going to another restaurant and bring it to our table. This would never have happen at another five star resort.
6. When asking for fresh towels later in the day at the beach, they were never brought.
7. One day, my girlfriend and I sat at the pool watching the kids swim and not a single server asked if we needed anything to drink, eat, towels, etc. Quite odd.
8. Performed the online registration for the restaurants prior to our arrival as requested (instead of just doing it over the phone like I intended when I called the week before- they said they couldn't. Who can't do dining reservations on the phone?) However, none of the requests for reservations went through.
9. The reservations made by the front desk were wrong. We went to one restaurant and they told us to go to another instead of trying to accommodate us with 5 hungry tired children. Instead of leaving, I demanded to be seated. Not quite sure why they said they could not seat us. The entire restaurant was empty. This happened multiple times when we wanted to dine at 19:30 instead of the suggested 21:30. The place empty but they couldn't seat us at 19:30. It was a game.
10. The food was mediocre. Not great but not outstanding like expected when reading the menus including the bar food. The only meal that was actually decent was the buffet at Chakah one afternoon. Otherwise, it was nothing special.
11. There was no outlet for the lamp adjacent to the bed. Instead of just putting an extension cord, they put a new outlet in at 21:30 before us going to bed. Shouldn't that have been done sooner?
12. There were NO hot tubs at any of the pools.
13. Had to remind the staff to restock the mini bar with food and drink. It wasn't done daily.
14. Towels at the pool and beach were impossible to obtain. Why was one towel placed on a chair. Instead, three should have been put on the chair. One to cover the chair. Two to act as a neck rest. Three to use to dry off when leaving the pool or ocean.
15. Why did I have to tip the service every time I ate? Isn't the resort all inclusive? Shouldn't dining service be included?

Some positives:
1. Resort was beautiful and well maintained.
2. The shows they put on for the kids were good despite stupidly not doing them at the pool for everyone to see and more people to enjoy.
3. The Kid's and Teen's Clubs were great and the staff were nice.
4. Not too much loud music at the pool.
5. Hernan was very nice and friendly. He took our concerns with the service seriously.
6. Transportation shuttles were timely and never had to wait a long period of time.

Many more negatives than positives. Despite all the negatives, was the resort nice? Yes. Would I go back? Possibly if the above was addressed and corrected.

Room Tip: Try to get the Ambassador. Closer to the beach.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank larkyhow
GVRM, Propietario at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Thank you for comments, observations and recommendations. Of one thing you can be sure I do not like to be behind the competition, and your comments make me aware that even having so great reviews from many of our guests there is always room for improvement. It is obvious that no hotel wishes to read that the expectations of any guest were not reached and even disappointing such as your vacation with us turned out to be.

There are many observations that are within my reach in terms of service and efficiency and our whole company will take responsibility for those. As Vice President, I sincerely apologize for those shortcomings and for not providing to you and your family the vacation experience that you deserve.

Please note that as an individual you are very important for this organization and the service points that you mention are very much correctable. There are some points such as the Kids Club itinerary which is in place for the comfort and needs of all guests and changes to their venues will not necessarily happen if it is not seen as a benefit for everyone. I am glad that you mention that the resort is nice and that there would be the possibility of you and your family coming back if the points raised were to be addressed. I find that in your case they are very attainable. And I do believe that the overall experience of many of the families that have selected us as their vacation destination has been satisfactory to a great degree and I hope to have the opportunity to demonstrate that same satisfaction to you and to your family in the future. Some actions already in place are:

a) Our standard of receiving every guest with a refreshment, cool towel, perform the registration cited, having the concierge show the suites and making sure that every request from our guests are well taken care of will be greatly reinforced, I expect to have 100 % of our guests happy and I will not be happy until we do it. The best reinforcement will always be the great reviews that we constantly receive.

b) Service in all areas of pools and beach should be of the highest standards. We will reinforce training to make sure it happens as promised as is experienced by many of our other guests.

c) A thorough audit of the online reservation of restaurants will be made to find out what happened with your reservations as well as the policy to change the reservation times when there is space available. Same will be done with minibar restocking that has to be done DAILY, and more than daily if you need something to be restocked.

As for the tipping, it is included on your bill. Extra tipping is optional and many guests decide to do it but it is not expected.

I, on the other hand like very much how our staff greets our guests. It is respectful, personal and sincere but I do understand that we don’t always agree on what is the best way of doing it.

I am sorry that you felt our restaurants were not as you expected them and you can be sure that if you ever consider coming back to our resorts and tell us in advance and we will make our best effort to satisfy your palate.

A sincere thank you for your comments and best regards to Columbus, Ohio.

JUAN VELA RUIZ
VICEPRESIDENT
VELAS RESORTS
jvelavr@velasresorts.com

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I just returned from a week at Grand Velas with my extended family, 18 of us in all. Without a doubt, all of us, ranging from my 3 year old daughter to my 75 year old parents had a wonderful time. The resort is beautiful, the beach is terrific,the rooms are spacious, clean and beautiful, the staff is outstandingly attentive, and the food is the best. I literally have no issues - in fact, my family has already begun to plan our return for next December.

2  Thank David E

We as a team are very pleased that you decided to unite the four generations of your family in our resort.

From the little ones from three years old up to your parents, it seems that from reading your comments we achieved the goal that you had in coming here. And that was to have a wonderful time for all.

From the accommodations to the cuisine and the service, the impression that was left with you has you making plans for this year’s family reunion, and we are very delighted in that.
Thank you David for your kind words and we look forward to your next visit with us in December.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Just returned home from an amazing week at Grand Velas. My family and I stayed in Grand Clas. Every suite has a beautiful view of the ocean. The all inclusive nature makes it a totally stress free week. Our concierge, Alejandra, was superb. She anticipated our every need, even before we did!!
The food was fantastic. Our favorite restaurants were Sin Lin and Frida.
I think the spa at Grand Velas is the most wonderful spa we have ever been to!! Don't miss the water journey!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for posting your marvelous experience of Grand Velas so soon after your arrival home, while the pleasant memories are still fresh.

Our idea of an all inclusive is just as you say: to have our guests catered to in a stress free manner. But we also strive to provide an all inclusive beyond compare. The freedom to choose diverse dining options, select snacks and savoring beverages has never been easier considering the quality of product that we strive to provide.

I am glad that our concierge Alejandra and our restaurants Sen Lin and Frida left a memorable impression on your family. Your words will certainly motivate the personnel in maintaining the same level of client satisfaction of which you experienced. To have you name our spa as the “most wonderful” that you have been to, really honors us because when designing our product seven years ago, we were envisioning exactly that type of reaction that you expressed, from our future guests.

And your kind words have made us come full circle since the drawing board, right up to your wonderful experience. We thank you for choosing Grand Velas, and please know that we will always be at your service for your future vacations. Take care and warm greetings to Rhode Island.

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Nicest people, most sate give service, gorgeous rooms, fantastic spa ,the bests taverns. Food amazing. Only drawback no tennis. Beware going next door for tennis since its per person so doubles is crazy expensive. Otherwise I would move in here permanently

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Ophthoblatt

Thank you for selecting Grand Velas for your vacation this past December. I am glad that we could cater successfully to almost all your needs. Our suites, public areas, culinary tour and the spa have definitely met your expectations.

We do not exactly have taverns as you say, but the ambience and libations that we provide can pretty well cover all spectrums of your choice. The almost part that I mention would of course refer to tennis. For you, and for our tennis enthusiasts we have a pact with a nearby resort that allows our guests to enjoy their pastime in high quality courts. We do as you know provide a quick 5 minute transport to and from the courts just as you would enjoy if they were inside Grand Velas.

Use of their courts, as well as tennis pro services do have an extra charge, but please be rest assured that we have chosen the best option for that sport. In general, I believe that your stay with us was a successful one, and I hope to host you again many times in the future. Thank you and take care.

FERNENDO GARCIA ROSSETTE

Reviewed January 3, 2014

After four trips to Grand Velas Riviera Maya, I can most definitely say the service is great. The staff goes out of their way to help you in any way they can, and they are very friendly. The abundance of gluten free options and willingness of the staff to adapt to dietary constraints was a huge plus!

5  Thank Sbarry2014

Thank you for your delightful review on your recent vacation with us.

I am especially pleased that you found our service to be very friendly and pro active. We are aware and also prepared in this day in age to cater to the dietary restrictions and preferences that make up our valued client base.

When experiencing our culinary tour throughout our eight options you will find peace of mind in knowing that we are thinking of all the needs and desires of you: our guest. I hope that we can continue to count on your preference as repeat guests and it would be my honor to personally greet you sometime during your fifth visit to you home away from home.

Thank you again for that loyalty.

GENERAL DIRECTOR