“Greats couples hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Greats couples hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I was hesitant to book this hotel as there are so many hotels I wondered if this hotel was worth the price tag.
Top three things I loved
1- food
2- costumer service
3- spa
First I must say my trip started out horrible, with a confusion from the pick up transfer I ended up having to take a cab from the airport to the hotel as somehow the hotel driver was not there so I was extremely hesitant as soon as I got to the resort but as soon as I arrived there very apologetic and friendly, they even let me check in early and took me emidietly to my room and from there we headed to lunch.
Everybody raved about azul in most reviews but to me that was my least favorite place, loved bistro, the breakfast there might of been the best breakfast I've ever had, Piaf was amazing, fridas was good but the only one I was not impressed with was Cocina de autor, I normally am a foodie and am open to trying new foods and always go to nice restaurants but was not impressed with the food.
Now the staff, wowwwwww that's worth every penny, there where all outstanding, attentive and always out of their way to make you happy and make sure you feel right at home.
The SPA = WOW I go to menu spa's and this was defenetly my favorite to date, loved it.
Overall a very good trip.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for your various comments and I am pleased that your vacation with us was a success. You were able to experience many of the facets that make up Grand Velas and arrive at the conclusion as you put, “overall a very good trip”. I am also pleased that we overcame nicely the confusion over your airport transfer. It is important to note that when obstacles present themselves in the way, our goal is to first make our cherished client comfortable and satisfied. And that is just what we were able to do in your case, simply because we know the tremendous importance of a first impression. Thank you again for selecting Grand Velas and putting us to the test. I truly believe that in reading your review we passed the exam.

Best Regards,
Grand Velas Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Just stayed at Grand Velas Aug 25-28 for the first time
THe sense of arrival is wonderful............the entrance is serence and the long drive in through the mangroves was beautifully landscaped.
We stayed in the Ambassador section with a gorgeous room and fully oceanfront (Grand Class is also oceanfront and Zen is in the jungle)
The staff was so accommodating and friendly. The resort was not very busy so we enjoyed an almost private beach and pools at times
The food is excellent with a good selection of restaurants and room service was surprisingly good. Oscar at the Grand Class pool was an excellent bartender! Allesio our conceirge was very attentive too. Lots of times the staff anticipated what we wanted before we even asked.
Only drawback is that there is no entertainment (or wasnt while we were there). They could use a fun place to go at night to interact with other guests.
The beach is not as pretty and clean as Maroma just a few miles down the road.
The Spa was AMAZING..........I have been to ALOT of nice spas and I rate this one as one of the best. Hydrotherapy circuit is relaxing and I had a wonderful massage and facial.

Room Tip: First floor has biggest balconies but lose view, second floor balconies are big but again you lose v...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your thoughts on your stay with us this past August. You are absolutely right in describing the entrance to the resort. Upon entering the main portal you can immediately sense that you are in for something monumental. The two kilometer drive to the Ambassador section is lined with mangroves, and the path is bordered with elegant landscaping made up of gardens of bonsai style plants, miniature palm trees and white stone decoration. All this adds to the anticipation of what awaits in the resort itself. I am truly delighted that your vacation was a marvelous one. Our girls in the Spa send you their greetings.

Hope to host you again soon,
South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I had to write after reading the review JLW wrote regarding her trip there for her wedding. We were there, as my husband was the best man. We witnessed the refusal of the wedding coordinator to bring chairs to guests, once the wedding was moved indoors. Paying guests should never be standing during dinner. I realize that the setup was for outside, but a resort of this caliber should have a comparable back up plan for rain. This was not an isolated incident, as when dinner parties earlier in the weekend were added to, guests were refused chairs - and plates - in the restaurants! It seemed as though the restaurant staff were suspicious of the guest additions (people were flying in at different times for the wedding, not everyone arrived on the same day). This was again no way to treat paying guests. This wedding brought in over 60 people at the end of June, for anywhere from 3-5 days. For the amount of money we were all paying, there should be no excuse for the wedding and dinner issues that went on.
aside from the wedding, the other issues were lack of nightlife - besides the one karaoke bar that was open, there was literally no other nightlife, and the high cost of internet service. $16/day per device? Ridiculous for the amount of money we paid to stay there. We won't be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank dwalsh
GVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for informing us of your disappointment in your stay with us. We will take the necessary steps to improve our service and product for the future, and we sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and I came here for a wedding. I was very hesitant and concerned because I didn't believe there could be any reason that a resort could charge as they did as it was one of the higher priced places. From the moment we arrived, I knew we got a bargain. Every single thing was amazing. From the constant attention we had from the staff to the facilities and food. The reviews didn't justify the experience as it was so much more. We are already planning on coming again.

1 Thank Melissa G
Thank you Melissa for visiting, and giving us the opportunity to demonstrate that your decision to select Grand Velas was right on the mark, and that the value received was more than worth it. To us, a successful vacation is the combination of hundreds of pleasant moments, thousands of details and the satisfied smiles that couples share together all culminating into a feeling or sensation of a truly magnificent holiday. I am proud to read that you are already planning to visit us again, and it will be an immense honor to serve you again. Thank you for your kind words.

Madison
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Just got back from 4 nights at Grand Velas and I already miss it! The service was awesome and I loved chatting with the staff and learning about their backgrounds. I literally saw the beach attendants run when they saw someone trying to adjust their chair or umbrella. We had Enrique and Miguel on the beach and these guys went out of their way to make us feel like celebrities! The beach is beautiful and kept super clean. We also loved our room and the grounds. My only complaint would be they have these flowers on the patio that block the ocean view that you pay a premium for. I suggest they lose the flowers, less maintenance for the resort and then you would have an unobstructed view. The balconies are huge and have a day bed which is great for naps. The food exceeded our expectations...our favorites were Piaf and Frida and also breakfast at Bistro. My husband has severe food allergies and the staff went above and beyond to make sure his food was safe and prepared away from nuts and seafood. I liked that they ask all guests about allergies. My favorite part was the spa which is very expensive but I loved my treatments and the facilities are really amazing and luxurious. Do the water journey, it's included with most treatments! We were disappointed there was no night life or entertainment. It was the low season but they didnt even have a piano player at the piano bar. After dinner the resort is dead...it would be nice to have live music or something at night. Overall, I would highly recommend this resort, and despite not being a huge fan of Mexico (I prefer the Caribbean water) I would LOVE to come back to Grand Velas! Our concierge Allesio was also excellent and made sure we were always taken care of!

Room Tip: Ask for top level of Ambassador, I wish we had....our friends said those rooms were even nicer!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you both for your review on your recent vacation with us. I am pleased that in the 4 days that you were here with us, you were able to enjoy many of the aspects of Grand Velas. Our service staff really is proactive in the many small details. They can really make the difference between a good vacation, and a great one. Unfortunately, the flowers on the patio will have to stay for a while, as they do contribute greatly to the general aesthetics of the property when observing from the pool and garden areas. I am glad however, that the day beds on our large patios were relaxing for you to enjoy.

It looks like you took a chance on visiting us, but from the sound of your review I believe that we may have won you over. Thank you again and I certainly wish to see you back some day soon. Take care.

Baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I am cannot say enough about this resort. My husband and daughter (age 13) traveled in July 2013. We stayed in the Ambassador section with a beautiful ocean front view. Worth the extra cost as we stayed in the Zen section 2 years ago. (Still lovely but you can not beat being on the beach.) The room was very clean and housekeeping did a fantastic job every day. Every morning for breakfast we had two great waiters...Antonio and Sergio. They remembered our names and brought me a mamosa and coffee each day. They were very pleasant and professional. On the beach we were treated so well by Santiago, Arturo, Gibran and Rodrigo. We have been to Riviera Maya 8 times and have stayed at Secrets, Dreams and Excellences resorts and yes, the beach staff was very good at these lovely hotels, but these four gentlemen were amazing. The did not stop from morning till night. I can only hope the general manager of Grand Velas realizes how lucky he is to have the best beach staff in Mexico!

Room Tip: Ambassador section is worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your observations on some of the stars that we have working to make your time here a memorable one. And by the way, the persons that you mention actually work for you, not for me. Yourself, and all our guests, are the motivating factor for them to succeed and feel proud that what they are doing culminates in your overall satisfaction. Their dedication towards all guests, and not just the ones in their section, is highly recognized by the resort, and I am certainly proud of the enthusiasm that my beach service department demonstrates, day in and day out. It is difficult to imagine at times the strength and effort that these men and woman have, as they are in the sun for hours providing a quick and efficient service, and at the same time smiling and truly enjoying what they do. And that is the key to great service. I do consider myself fortunate to have a staff whose major interest is your satisfaction and the satisfaction of all our cherished guests. Thank you for recognizing their achievements, and I am sure that they were part of the reason that you selected Grand Velas for a second time.

Highland Park, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We went to Grand Velas to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary. We had an amazing experience and would absolutely go back! I travel quite a bit for work so my levels of expectations are high. Grand Velas exceeded my expectations! Lets start with the rooms. We stayed in the Ambassador which was incredible and worth the upgrade from the Zen. We requested the top floor and I recommed this as the ceilings were vaulted. The only issue we had with our room is that the pillows were feather and VERY weak. Otherwise, the room is beautiful, clean and large.

The food was outstanding. There was an amazing amount of variety in the all-inclusive and we enjoyed all of the restaurants we tried. The alcohol was top shelf and the food quality was fabulous. The presentation of all meals was very upscale. They celebrated our anniversary in such a nice way and made it very special.

The service was good however I will admit that we spent quite a bit on tipping. For an all inclusive, they bring you a "0" check with a line item for tip for each and every meal. All staff accept tips and while they don't require it, you can tell it is expected. That said, we loved out butler Guiermo! He was always there to help us and was so friendly.

Overall, this was an outstanding resort and we were VERY pleased. We hope to be back! Thank you for a very special trip.

Room Tip: We requested the top floor and I reccommed this as the ceilings were vaulted and it made the room se...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We are truly pleased that you chose Grand Velas to celebrate your milestone anniversary. It is necessary for us as an organization to assume that all guests arrive with expectations of the highest level. That helps us to stay one step ahead of your needs and at the end gives us a tremendous pride in knowing that your experience was an amazing one, just as you described in your review. Just next time, I will have on hand for you a 100% goose down Firm Pillow with inside support for your extended comfort. It is just one of seven pillows to select from our bedding menu.

Please know that your review has been published internally in the resort for our employees to witness first hand, the results of their fine work and commitment to you. Your words are truly motivating for all, and they generate a great sense of confidence in the work that we do.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we will be honored to serve you for many anniversaries to come. Congratulations.