We stayed here because some good friends of ours were getting married on the beach at the resort. It was actually very quiet - June apparently falls in the slow season in the Riviera Maya area, although there were a couple of B-list celebrities we kept running into at dinner and the karaoke bar. That was interesting.
The resort itself was lovely. The rooms were beautiful, the grounds were very groomed and lush, the pools were gorgeous, and the food was great (we REALLY loved Cocina de Autor. Really.) The service was inconsistent, though. At times, it was overwhelmingly attentive while other times it was frustratingly nonchalant and almost inconsiderate. Getting around the resort was very easy. Regular shuttles ran a circuit through the grounds, but getting around outside the resort was expensive.
All that being said, we didn't love staying here and will not return unless similar nuptial circumstances arise in the future. While luxurious and lovely, it's still incredibly expensive and needlessly extravagant for our tastes. It was hard to feel comfortable in a place like that in a country where minimum wage is roughly $6 USD a DAY, and frankly, the lavishness is wasted on us! Everything was huge and cavernous. Cabanas La Luna on the beach in Tulum was intimate and much more our pace.
In all, if you want to get away to a really luxurious room with excellent food and you're not really looking to venture out much, this place is excellent. It just didn't suit us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened in 2008, the luxurious All Inclusive Luxury Resort Grand Velas Riviera Maya is one of the newest resorts to distinguish Riviera Maya as a premier vacation destination. The uniquely Mexican world-class hospitality we provide is "Beyond All Inclusive, Beyond All Compare", and we are proud to be the only family-friendly All Inclusive resort in the Mexican Caribbean to have been rated Five Diamonds by the AAA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cancelon, HotelsClick, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Velas Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Velas All Suites And Spa Resort, Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas All Suites & Spa Resort, Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Velas Hotel Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico