After reading many reviews I was unsure if the hotel could meet our expectations, fortunately for the most part it did. As per previous reviews the size of the room was excellent and the decor of a high standard, we stayed in the grand class so enjoyed a magnificent view of the beach, although the mini pool on the balcony was a nice idea we barely used it and the space could have been better used.
We stayed for 10 nights and were able to try all the restaurants, whilst I enjoyed the experience of Cocina del Autor , it would not be to everyones taste , however we had mentioned that it was our anniversary so it was a nice surprise to receive a cake at the end. Service was mixed and although I was never asked directly to tip I sometimes felt a little ignored by some staff particularly at Piaf, however the food was of excellent quality throughout as was the choice of wine, I would recommend trying the Bistro if it is open. One thing to be aware of is that you may have made reservations online before arriving and then find the restaurant you had booked is closed , I think they plan restaurant closures on a weekly basis so if you have booked in advance it is best to check. My son did not want to go to some of the restaurants and was delighted with the room service menu, service was always prompt and food excellent, I would also recommend trying room service for breakfast, the presentation and choice was amazing.
The beach and pool areas were both very good , the hotel was very quiet when we stayed so we often felt we had the pool to ourselves, the staff seemed quite aloof to start with but were more friendly as the holiday progressed.
The hotel also pay for a taxi to take you to nearby Playa del Carmen, it is good for an afternoon trip and for picking up souvenirs.
All in all I would highly recommend this resort and agree with the other comments that the food surpasses that of most other all inclusive resorts, as I mentioned service was hit and miss, the waitress in the Sky bar was always a delight whilst Jorge at Piaf was sullen and unhelpful, but maybe he was having a bad day!
I agree that it would be better if wi fi was included in the price but as everything else was paid for it was a major issue.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened in 2008, the luxurious All Inclusive Luxury Resort Grand Velas Riviera Maya is one of the newest resorts to distinguish Riviera Maya as a premier vacation destination. The uniquely Mexican world-class hospitality we provide is "Beyond All Inclusive, Beyond All Compare", and we are proud to be the only family-friendly All Inclusive resort in the Mexican Caribbean to have been rated Five Diamonds by the AAA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, HotelsClick, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Velas Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Velas All Suites And Spa Resort, Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas All Suites & Spa Resort, Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Velas Hotel Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico