My wife and I came to Grand Velas 3 years ago, and was in absolute awe at how a place so big, could be so exceptional in terms of quality, and service. The All-Inclusive Resort is NOT cheap, but 3 years ago, the expense was worth it.
Grand Velas is divided into two resorts, basically, one side offering a family atmosphere for kids <16 years old; and another that is for people like my wife and I who wanted to escape from our kids, and relax, offering to pay a little more for the incredible suites - on the "adult side."
3 years ago, the service was impeccable, with the staff greeting you every morning by your first and last name, and your own private "butler" to help organize your day. The following explains our trip this year. In fact, I am writing this inquiry from the hotel suite.
We arrive to resort, and the room is not ready. They seemed more eager to get our "hotel.com" reservation number than they did getting our room ready. After waiting almost an hour for the room to be ready (told it would be 20 minutes), we were amazed that our luggage was not stowed away in the suite. Instead, we had to call down and ask for luggage which took another 20 minutes to arrive.
In the past; the waiters, bartenders and servers, greeted you with a smile. This trip seems like you have to wave them down to get their attention, then feel like your putting them out by asking them for a drink. The food is terrible, and most restaurants are booked, or only give you a "tasting." No chance of ordering off the menu; for dinner, or breakfast. Lunch can still be served from a menu. The bar was stacked with empty glasses and dirty dishes; because the bartender was overwhelmed with guests.
The final straw was that last night they called my room offering a $300 spa voucher if I would listen to a "time share" fast talker for 40 minutes. I told them I would do it for $1000 ( knowing that they would decline - never heard back from them). Not sure what happened. Not coming back. Sad....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya is one of the newest resorts to distinguish Riviera Maya as a premier vacation destination. The uniquely Mexican world-class hospitality we provide is "Beyond All Inclusive, Beyond All Compare", and we are proud to be the only family-friendly All Inclusive resort in the Mexican Caribbean to have been rated Five Diamonds by the AAA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelsforEveryone so you can book your Grand Velas Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Velas All Suites & Spa Resort, Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Velas All Suites And Spa Resort, Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas Hotel Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico