Let me start by saying this review is for the jungle section only, and also comparing GV to a previous, Iberostar Grand experience.
The food was ridiculously good at all times. We went to Piaf (french restaurant) 4x during our stay as it was that good. We enjoyed bottles of Le Cetto with our meals. The filet mignon and accompaniments were all excellent. Tip: make sure to get the gruyere pastry appetizer and ask for habanero cream sauce with your meal! The chef made this specially for us!
The ala carte lunch restaurant in the adult section was always spot on as well! I would recommend the salmon dish as it was executed perfectly every time. The habanero relish it came with was very hot!
Other things I enjoyed were the freshly squeezed juices brought up to the room and the ceviche on the beach.
So, why 3 stars only? Well, I didn't particularly enjoy the service. Like many others have experiences, displaying the bill after each meal was made us feel like we were obliged to tip 15-20% of the total which is not what anyone should feel like at an AI. We still tipped at every meal, but I felt the service wasn't NEARLY as good as the service I experienced at Iberostar Grand (as a result of the receipt display process). Some of the staff were really nice, while others seemed cold and expecting a tip for anything they did.
Staying in the jungle area also took away from the 'I'm staying by the ocean' feeling you normally get from a beach vacation. Don't get me wrong, the shuttle was efficient but nothing is better than seeing the ocean from your room or being able to walk out to it in a matter of steps. Yes, I know I could have paid for an ocean view room, however, the price difference is not attainable for many people. I think it was like 3k more for that which was what I paid to be at GV in the first place.
If you are a foodie, this is definitely a place to consider. My wife and I thought we were foodies when we came here, but later decided that we prefer to have B+ food with great service, affordable prices, and being near the ocean at all times instead of just A+ food.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya is one of the newest resorts to distinguish Riviera Maya as a premier vacation destination. The uniquely Mexican world-class hospitality we provide is "Beyond All Inclusive, Beyond All Compare", and we are proud to be the only family-friendly All Inclusive resort in the Mexican Caribbean to have been rated Five Diamonds by the AAA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets and HotelsforEveryone so you can book your Grand Velas Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Velas All Suites & Spa Resort, Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Velas All Suites And Spa Resort, Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas Hotel Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico