“Professional, friendly, many options”

Scuba Playa Dive Shop
Rome, Italy
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Professional, friendly, many options”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have spent 7 days in Yucatan for a diving-only break from work. Prior to my arrival I already gathered several information through a highly informative mail exchange with Scubaplaya - which I really appreciated and gave me a much clearer picture when reaching the site.

Once in Playa, I arranged the following:

- 1 whale shark snorkeling tour (no chance but not even any need of diving with Whale sharks with tours in Yucatan)
- 1 top discovery package comprising 6 dives (2 in playa, 2 in cozumel, 2 in cenotes)
- 1 night dive in playa
- 1 dive in Angelita cenote followed by 1 dive in Gran Cenote.

Beyond the quality of these dives (some are truly outstanding!), I write my review to confirm that my expeirence with Scuba Playa was excellent. I was there basically every single day and felt like part of the family!

Given my program, I had several dive masters / guides and these are my ratings on both land and water staff & service quality....:

- 5/5 for Professionalism, briefing & information skills of each and every diver guide I had

- 5/5 for customers' care, attention to detail and helpfullness

- 5/5 on friendliness

- 5/5 on equipment (most is brand new and all sizes are available)

- 5/5 on center's cleanliness, organization & faciltiies (these include: hot shower, pool to rinse the equipment, toilet, lockers for storage of valuables)

- 5/5 on the position: in the very centre of Playa...after a night dive, you can simply have a hot shower at the center and continue for a drink & bite on the beach ;) Moreover, being in between Tulum and Cancun, Playa is a perfect location if you want to do both whale shark spotting (up in Holbox / Mujeres islands) and the cenotes closer to Tulum (despite being very touristy, Playa is pretty safe and set with all comforts, including good yoga studios).

- 5/5 on freelancers: I dived with a certified cave diving trainer to visit cenotes and had a dedicated & high quality diving experience.

- 4/5 on scuba camera: better book it in advance if you really need it & if you are confident in using it in the selected dive sites...follow the staff advice on this..

- 4/5 on website updates: there are some great new diving guides that I did not see mentioned in ScubaPlaya website. Also, prices in low season were better than those published on the web. A little update could only add on to my positive opinion.

Note: prices for the cenotes are inclusive of entrance fees, transport (except ferry for Cozumel) and lunch.

Wrapping it all up: I bet there are many good & proficient diving operators in Playa, but from my own experience I am very happy to recommend ScubaPlaya. I'd surely go back to explore more sites!

Thank you guys for the great diving week!
Sam

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“I love this place.”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Before planning my diving adventure from the states, I had questions. I called on the phone, they answered. Instead of running up my phone bill, they opted to send me a thorough email with all the information I needed. (Other shops in town never answered the phone or responded to my emails). They were very patient with all my questions and flexible with my vacation schedule. So, I went for it.

I chose to pursue the Open Water Diver Certification. I was lucky enough to have 1:1 instruction. Erick was very calm and helpful when I was initially anxious. He helped me get through my first dives and allowed me to enjoy the experience.

I had so much fun, I decided to pursue the Advanced Open Water Diver certification as well. Jorge was very helpful in figuring out the pricing and if it would be worth it (he was right; it was).

I had quality advanced diver instruction from Andrea, and we got to experience a number of gorgeous dives. We even saw a shark! Although I was not prepared for this Andrea remained very calm, and thus allowed me to do the same. It turned out to be an amazing experience.

Alejandro and Pablo were always friendly and helpful and patient with any questions I had, and any glitches in my schedule. The boat captain and crew were always helpful and equipment was set up ahead of time. Everyone knew what they were doing, and the staff were very organized.

My final pitch: the staff always made me feel safe. They took all my concerns into consideration and helped me feel at ease. I always had a sense that I was in good hands, and I trusted them to do everything in a safe way. They did, every time.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Kasey C
White Marsh, Maryland
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“No more than 4 divers per instructor”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We loved these guys. They weren't the cheapest but you just can't beat the quality and service. And if you get a package, it's all pretty reasonable. Plus you just can't say no to Alex's friendly personality and Italian accent.

Instructors lead the dives and they never have more than 4 divers per instructor. The boat hands help you with all of your equipment and everything is ready for the second dive before you even get back on the boat (they're that fast). They really respected the reefs and marine life and never touched anything. We've been on other dives where the dive masters did everything you were taught not to do and it's just so irritating. I should also mention that there are no cheesy tip buckets on the boat and nobody ever mentions it but you'll want to leave one after each good experience. We did 4 Playa Del Carmen dives, 2 Cozumel dives, 2 cenote dives at Chac Mool, and booked a Whale Shark tour through them too.

I should also mention they have 2 freshwater showers, outdoor seating and tables, good equipment, and a store which is a lot more than what we saw at many of the other dive shops.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank JJFriday
San Francisco
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Once in a lifetime dive experience”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Scuba Playa is the perfect dive shop - great, friendly, personal guides with no fluff costs. I emailed with them ahead of time to see if they went to any cenote spots where I could dive and my boyfriend could snorkel - wasn't a problem. I was slightly nervous on my first cenote dive as I hadn't done much enclosed space diving before - but I was reassured by my guide Daniel and was lucky enough to get to go on a 1:1 dive with him. When I had a moment of panic halfway through the first dive, he very adeptly took my hand to calm my nerves and I finished the dive up just fine. We visited Chac Mool which was amazing - seriously unlike any other landscape I've ever seen diving. Since the site was a bit crowded that day, Daniel brilliantly suggested we go straight into our second dive to avoid the crowds. What a pleasure it was to experience the cenote practically alone. We even did a surface in the middle of the cave in an area where there was a beam of light - simply magical!

They set up all of the equipment and made this as easy as possible and even provided a little sandwich and cerveza post dives. Would definitely recommend to others and will dive with them again the next time I'm in the area.

Visited March 2012
3 Thank allisongren
Bay City, Michigan
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Scuba Diving”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We went twice right from the Riu Yucatan with Lucio as our dive instructer it was GREAT he was a very good instructor if we would have ahd more time we would have went again. I plan on going back just to do it again next year..
TOP NOTCH