“I love this place.”

Scuba Playa Dive Shop
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Before planning my diving adventure from the states, I had questions. I called on the phone, they answered. Instead of running up my phone bill, they opted to send me a thorough email with all the information I needed. (Other shops in town never answered the phone or responded to my emails). They were very patient with all my questions and flexible with my vacation schedule. So, I went for it.

I chose to pursue the Open Water Diver Certification. I was lucky enough to have 1:1 instruction. Erick was very calm and helpful when I was initially anxious. He helped me get through my first dives and allowed me to enjoy the experience.

I had so much fun, I decided to pursue the Advanced Open Water Diver certification as well. Jorge was very helpful in figuring out the pricing and if it would be worth it (he was right; it was).

I had quality advanced diver instruction from Andrea, and we got to experience a number of gorgeous dives. We even saw a shark! Although I was not prepared for this Andrea remained very calm, and thus allowed me to do the same. It turned out to be an amazing experience.

Alejandro and Pablo were always friendly and helpful and patient with any questions I had, and any glitches in my schedule. The boat captain and crew were always helpful and equipment was set up ahead of time. Everyone knew what they were doing, and the staff were very organized.

My final pitch: the staff always made me feel safe. They took all my concerns into consideration and helped me feel at ease. I always had a sense that I was in good hands, and I trusted them to do everything in a safe way. They did, every time.

2  Thank Kasey C

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We loved these guys. They weren't the cheapest but you just can't beat the quality and service. And if you get a package, it's all pretty reasonable. Plus you just can't say no to Alex's friendly personality and Italian accent.

Instructors lead the dives and they never have more than 4 divers per instructor. The boat hands help you with all of your equipment and everything is ready for the second dive before you even get back on the boat (they're that fast). They really respected the reefs and marine life and never touched anything. We've been on other dives where the dive masters did everything you were taught not to do and it's just so irritating. I should also mention that there are no cheesy tip buckets on the boat and nobody ever mentions it but you'll want to leave one after each good experience. We did 4 Playa Del Carmen dives, 2 Cozumel dives, 2 cenote dives at Chac Mool, and booked a Whale Shark tour through them too.

I should also mention they have 2 freshwater showers, outdoor seating and tables, good equipment, and a store which is a lot more than what we saw at many of the other dive shops.

2  Thank JJFriday
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Scuba Playa is the perfect dive shop - great, friendly, personal guides with no fluff costs. I emailed with them ahead of time to see if they went to any cenote spots where I could dive and my boyfriend could snorkel - wasn't a problem. I was slightly nervous on my first cenote dive as I hadn't done much enclosed space diving before - but I was reassured by my guide Daniel and was lucky enough to get to go on a 1:1 dive with him. When I had a moment of panic halfway through the first dive, he very adeptly took my hand to calm my nerves and I finished the dive up just fine. We visited Chac Mool which was amazing - seriously unlike any other landscape I've ever seen diving. Since the site was a bit crowded that day, Daniel brilliantly suggested we go straight into our second dive to avoid the crowds. What a pleasure it was to experience the cenote practically alone. We even did a surface in the middle of the cave in an area where there was a beam of light - simply magical!

They set up all of the equipment and made this as easy as possible and even provided a little sandwich and cerveza post dives. Would definitely recommend to others and will dive with them again the next time I'm in the area.

3  Thank allisongren
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We went twice right from the Riu Yucatan with Lucio as our dive instructer it was GREAT he was a very good instructor if we would have ahd more time we would have went again. I plan on going back just to do it again next year..
TOP NOTCH

1  Thank Brittamaster
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Me and the mrs are living in PdC 6 months a year. We tried several dive shops over here. Never wrote a review before, but this dive shop deserves a 5 star review. Literrally ALL is good. Customer service, planning, gear, divemasters. We loved our divemaster showed us things we never saw before at the same spots. NIce corals, fishes and above all... we were able to do a great bottom time! This is the best of playa.

1  Thank Cameron R