“Many problems.”

Hotel Hacienda Real del Caribe
Ranked #87 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Maybe we had a particularly bad room, but the room we did start with had many problems: no towels, inoperable lock on the door, patio door and safe. We then asked for another room. This room had the same poorly washed towels and sheets (do they use bleach?)

The next day our room wasn't cleaned in the afternoon. I've stayed at dozens of hotels and have lived in Playa, but this was a first. I had to call the Front Desk to have them bring fresh towels up.

I'd like to think they're still a relatively new hotel, but I'd stay away from this one until they get it right.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank almac7

Reviewed November 29, 2010

We just returned yesterday from an 11 day adventure in Cancun, Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel. After Cancun we booked a couple night at Hacienda Real and my wife and I were very pleased. Its clean, and the location is perfect. Couple blocks from the beach and maybe 50 yards from 5th Ave which is the main strip in PDC. I would return in a second for the price. Cute hotel and very romantic. No gripes at all. The two ladies I delt with at the front desk were very pleasant. Thumbs up for me!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cozydiver
Reviewed November 21, 2010

We typically avoid the large, all inclusives opting for small, quiet boutique hotels. We found Hacienda Real a perfect choice. It's only a city block away from the main pedestrian way (5th Ave) and two city blocks from the beach. At the same time however, it is very quiet and serence due to an open interior which surrounds the pool. We spent several late afternoons relaxing by the pool as the sun slowly set. The staff was very professional and eager to serve their guests. The hotel also has a nice attached restaurant with good food and friendly wait staff. We would definitely stay there again on future visits to Playa del Carmen.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Hacienda Real del Caribe for a few days in November. Rooms were comfortable, clean, and nicely decorated. We had room 116 which was on the 1st floor corner. We ate at adjoining Mr. Chili's for breakfast (yummy) and had drinks one afternoon there.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2010

We stayed here for 3 days, and were distinctly impressed with this gem of a hotel. We found it through Expedia and it was superb value at $49 US per night. The staff were all extremely helpful and friendly. The rooms were spacious, modern, well-maintained and impeccably clean. The bed was so comfortable, and we had some of the best nights sleep we have had for ages! The hotel is is a good location, close to the beach and within walking distance of most places. The courtyard with the swimming pool is very pretty and a real little retreat area. My only criticism of this place is that the food in the restaurant was not particularly good.
However, for anyone looking for a fairly small, friendly and nice place to stay in PDC, I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2010

So let's break it down: The staff is helpful and friendly, the rooms are nice and clean, the place has character, and it's in the middle of everything. The pillows are soft (although I'm pretty sure I don't need 5,000 of them), the pool is refreshing, and there's free wifi. The restaurant connected to the hotel is good too.

On the down side, it's on a main street so there's a lot of traffic noise and occasional drunken wailing at night, some of the rooms can smell like smoke (we switched out of one that did), internet doesn't work on some parts of the top floor, and the sheets are sometimes in questionable condition (cigarette burns on my pillow? Ew).

But these are small tradeoffs, because a stay at this hotel is worth it. I don't know what it is about this place, but from the outside sometimes and once you enter the pool courtyard, it smells amazing! Like, floral and pretty. Does that sound weird?

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Pros: location can not be better, 1 block from Quinta Avenida and 2 blocks from the beach. Convenient store and drugstore across the street, tons of restaurants around the area. Staff are very friendly. Rooms with high ceilings, comfortable bed and tons of pillows--from soft to hard. Heated tile floor in bathroom. Awesome pool. Free WIFI. Cable TV. They even let me do a late checkout since my shuttle was scheduled to arrive at 1:45 pm.
Cons: Small things-- keycard gets deactivated every night so after a couple of nights, I just pass by the lobby to get my keycard reactivated. Water pressure not so great but just enough to take a shower. They always forget to give an extra towel since there were 3 of us in the room.
Overall I am so glad I stayed in this hotel. It is a newer hotel right smack in the center of Playa. Never had any problems with sleeping-- I stayed on the ground floor facing the courtyard/swimming pool. The bed is comfortable and temperature control in the room is awesome.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family