“Great experience, highly recommend!”

Playa Scuba Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: "Playa Scuba Dive Center" in downtown Playa del Carmen is a "Boutique Dive Center" run by the owner Klaus, offers small, personal dive trips exploring the exciting reefs in Playa del Carmen, or amazing coral structures in Cozumel and mystic dives in the crystal clear waters of sacred Mayan Cenotes. Shark diving with Bull sharks and Whale shark encounters are the specialty of Playa Scuba. Small groups of four scuba divers in Cenotes or up to five divers in Playa del Carmen or Cozumel reefs. PADI courses from Discover Scuba to Dive Master. Eco land tours to Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Xcaret, Xel-Ha and Belize
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend spent a week in Mayan Riviera in July 2014. We are fairly new divers with only 6 dives each before arrival to Mexico. We saw this dive shop on trip advisor and after reading the reviews decided to give it a shot, and we were not disappointed. We decided on the 3 day reef, cenote, and cozumel package which was amazing. Great value for 3 days of diving. Nikki was our guide for the first day of reef diving in Playa, she was super helpful and made sure we felt comfortable in the water. She pointed out about 3 different types of eels to us along with other sea life.

Sonni was our cenote guide. We were both a little nervous for these dives as you need to be quite good with your buoyancy. Sonni ensured we were set up proper and checked out neutral buoyancy before entering the cenotes. What an amazing experience that was. We dove Dos Ojos which was the most popular, highly recommend it. We have never seen anything so stunning before, the formations were unreal.

On the third day we did the Santa Rosa wall and Paridiso in Cozumel. This was by far our favorite dives. The boat ride to and from the dive shop was nice and relaxing and the dive crew was super helpful. I believe our guides name was Hernandez but not quite sure. He was amazing very friendly and he understood we were newer divers and kept an eye on us the whole time to ensure we were doing okay. I tend to go through my air quicker than most so he kept an eye on me constantly to ensure i was okay on my air supply, and we ascended according to my air levels. We saw so much wild life and the coral formations were like none other I've seen in the world. Cozumel ranks top diving from most people ive talked to.

Overall an awesome experience, with the smaller dive shops we were with no more than 2 other divers (4 total) which allowed the guides to have closer attention to us which made us very comfortable in the water. Great bang for your buck. Shop is easy to find. Take the collectivos to playa, its only 3$ and it stops in the middle of town about 2 and a half blocks from the dive shop, very safe, they pick you up on the side of the highway anywhere from tulum to playa, a lot better than a 25$ cab ride there (one way).

Great experience, highly recommend for new or experienced divers! Will definitely be diving with them next time we come back to Mexico.

5  Thank Cole G
playascuba, Public Relations Manager at Playa Scuba Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2014

I'm glad you had a good time diving with Playa Scuba Dive Center and you chose that three-day package which reflects the most memorable dive sites in the area reflecting the best of Cozumel Cenotes and Playa Reefs

All reviews
in 140 reviews
"shop"
in 162 reviews

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Had a great time diving with Playa Scuba. They even managed to run tours when I was the only one on them! Great variety of diving around Playa with Whalesharks, cozumel's reefs, playa's drift dives and the Cenotes. Can't wait to go back and see the bullsharks.

1  Thank Enn K

Hi Enn
it was a real privilege to have met you and to be able to share some nice diving in Playa del Carmen and it also was great to show you the whale sharks and we hope to see you beginning November for the bull shark season looking forward to dive and share more exciting adventures with you

Reviewed July 10, 2014

We were recommended to use Playa Scuba Dive Center by the American owner of the condo where we stayed for the week. One diver in our group has been diving for years, and the other is still relatively new but not a novice by any means. After doing extensive online research, we corresponded with at least three other dive shops in Playa (and there are hundreds, so be careful) and Klaus, the owner of Playa Scuba, was fantastic about getting back to us in a timely manner by email. We arrived in Playa on a Tuesday and reported to the Dive Center early the next day for the first of two days of reef dives. Our dive master, Nikki, was very knowledgable. We did two days of reef diving, and on the third consecutive day we dove the cenotes with Luis. He was also great. That was really an incredible experience! We had no problems with any of those dives except on the first day the boat malfunctioned, but immediately they were able to get a replacement so all worked out well. That kind of thing happens. We also signed up through Klaus to do the whale shark snorkle experience through a third party. Due to a mix-up with pick up locations, however, we were not able to do that and Klaus was very quick to give us a full refund of the money we had already paid. Klaus is a very personable guy with a lot of experience and lots of stories to tell. He treats his customers right. If you are looking for a "no frills" dive center that will take good care of you, then please consider this dive shop. Like I said, there are many dive shops through Playa, actually just about one on every corner, but you really do not know if they are reputable or not. Klaus handled our excursions in a very down-to-earth and professional manner. The center itself is not fancy, and neither are the boats, and you do not get any extras like you might with other operations, but Klaus's prices are the best around and you get to do the dives that you want in a safe and secure manner, and that is what you really want, right? You can take your own fruit and towel. Thanks again, Klaus, for all you did for us to make the trip a great adventure. We will definitely recommend you to others who travel to Playa del Carmen.

3  Thank Queeniedsb
Reviewed July 5, 2014

My friend and I did a three-day, six-dive package with Klaus in the cenotes. Klaus is a fantastic instructor, and his way of taking care of the group had us calling him "papa Klaus." He even takes you to great local food places before and after diving! I had not been diving in over two years (although I took a scuba refresher course before flying out there), so I was a bit apprehensive about not only diving but diving in such enclosed spaces. Klaus understood and he helped me out a bit on the initial dive, and afterwards I was much more confident on the other dives. I cannot recommend Playa Scuba enough! I will definitely be coming back to do my cavern certification with Playa Scuba.

3  Thank Ruben G