“Wonderful guide, accomodating shop!”

Playa Scuba Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: "Playa Scuba Dive Center" in downtown Playa del Carmen is a "Boutique Dive Center" run by the owner Klaus, offers small, personal dive trips exploring the exciting reefs in Playa del Carmen, or amazing coral structures in Cozumel and mystic dives in the crystal clear waters of sacred Mayan Cenotes. Shark diving with Bull sharks and Whale shark encounters are the specialty of Playa Scuba. Small groups of four scuba divers in Cenotes or up to five divers in Playa del Carmen or Cozumel reefs. PADI courses from Discover Scuba to Dive Master. Eco land tours to Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Xcaret, Xel-Ha and Belize
Useful Information: Activities for older children
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wonderful guide, accomodating shop!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband and I went diving in a cenote for the first time in February with guide Qe'que (pronunciation: kee-kay; sorry if we spelled your name incorrectly!) and we had a wonderful experience! We went to Chac Mool Cenote which was a short ride away from Playa del Carmen. Our guide was very knowledgeable about the history/geoscience behind cenotes and he patiently explained the safety signals/habits for cenote diving. I really appreciated his description in advanced about the halocline effect, so that when we finally experienced it, it wasn't frightening in the relative darkness and didn't waste time attempting to clear my mask! The lamp he used underwater was also especially powerful - great for pictures compared to the ones we used. Ultimately the trip was even better because of Qe'que's passion for diving; his respect and love for the cenotes was infectious! It was also nice learning about his life in Playa over an unplanned stop at an excellent taco shop on the drive back after the dives.

Finally, Luis at the dive shop was very accommodating: They took us to the cenotes on a Sunday even though they usually don't have trips scheduled then -- but it was the only day we could dive on our brief long weekend trip to the region -- so it ended up being a private tour. They took us on the dive even before we paid the balance in full so that we didn't arrive at the cenote too late.

3 Thank RominaWahab
playascuba, Manager at Playa Scuba Dive Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
WOW, Thank you for your nice review , we at Playa Scuba Dive Center are glad to have made a positive impact on your vacation and hope you will not forget us and allow us to show you more of our exciting surroundings scuba diving in Playa del Carmen

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Couldn't have asked for more.”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I recently completed six dives and my AOW certification with playa scuba after deciding to use this shop because of the great reviews. The reviews were correct. Couldn't have asked for a better experience. I had three different guides over three days of diving. Eli, Alex, and Pedro. I also had dealings with Klaus at the shop. They were all great. They all seemed more interested in making sure my trip was great rather than just wanting to take my money. All instructors were safety conscious and at no time did I feel unsafe. I dove at Cozumel, playa, and the cenotes all of which were great experiences. Whether it was a deep dive or in a cenote I was not concerned. I would recommend them to anyone going to dive in Mexico and will be using them again when I go back.

2 Thank firemansmith
Sudbury, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Awesome Discovery Dive”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We just returned from a great trip to Playa del Carmen. We wanted to have our daughters - ages 12 and 14 "try out" scuba diving. The Discovery dive was perfect. Playa Scuba is a small personal shop. We had 2 great instructors for a family of 4 the entire time. They reviewed all the key skills with us, got us comfortable with our gear and then we set off for two 35 minute dives. We saw all kinds of great fish, eels, rays etc. and the girls had a blast. If we had wanted, we could have applied the dives toward certification, but there was too much else to see and do in Playa. We couldn't have asked for a better experience.

2 Thank Nancy M
portland, oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“great guides, great shop”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was our first time diving with Playa Scuba, and I would not hesitate to dive with them again. We dove at dos ojos with Matthias, who was a great dive guide. His briefing on the site was very thorough and I was impressed with his knowledge. After diving with some yahoos in Tulum, it was refreshing to dive with this shop. Thank you for a wonderful experience to wrap up our stay in Quintana Roo.

2 Thank mochango
Brattleboro, Vermont
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Playa Scuba Rocks!”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have nothing but great things to say about Klaus and Louis and all the staff at Playa Scuba. As an experienced diver I have dove w/many different companies across the globe. By far, these guys take the cake.

They are a small dive shop, and only deal w/small groups... keeping your dive experience intimate and friendly. There isn't a mass herding of other divers and they take you to dive sights they like to dive....and their favorite taco shops too :) Not to mention you cant beat the price!

While Klaus, Matias and I were off diving Cenotes, my brother and his girlfriend finished up their Open Water Certification. They did their classroom portion online prior to our vacation. There were able to finish up their cert in just 3 days and usually finishing by noon, which allowed for free time the rest of the day. They were extremely happy with their instructor Mark, who made them feel comfortable the entire time.

Thanks again guys... you were all great. And you can bet we'll be diving w/you again! :)

3 Thank Shazzer24