“Great experience, friendly people”

Playa Scuba Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: "Playa Scuba Dive Center" in downtown Playa del Carmen is a "Boutique Dive Center" run by the owner Klaus, offers small, personal dive trips exploring the exciting reefs in Playa del Carmen, or amazing coral structures in Cozumel and mystic dives in the crystal clear waters of sacred Mayan Cenotes. Shark diving with Bull sharks and Whale shark encounters are the specialty of Playa Scuba. Small groups of four scuba divers in Cenotes or up to five divers in Playa del Carmen or Cozumel reefs. PADI courses from Discover Scuba to Dive Master. Eco land tours to Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Xcaret, Xel-Ha and Belize
Useful Information: Activities for older children
San Francisco, California
“Great experience, friendly people”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Our group visited Playa Scuba while on a company retreat to Cancun. This small business has friendly and experienced manager and staff. Our dive master Alex was fantastic and had a good knowledge of the area. Equipment was in good condition and the dive was reasonably priced. We look forward to supporting Playa Scuba next time we're nearby.

Visited October 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New York, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrific Experience, Best Dive Trip Yet”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I was traveling in Playa del Carmen off-peak, so your mileage may vary.

Playa Scuba Dive Center is a small, dive oriented operation. They don't have a flashy gift shop with slick logo and merch to blow money on. Instead, they are competent, veteran Dive Masters who know the area and focus on safety and experience. I dive infrequently, so I booked the 3 day package with the first day in open water to let me refresh my skills. I was paired with Julian, a seasonal guide who was genial and helpful. We did some walkthroughs on fundamentals and had a refresher on buoyancy.

Playa Scuba doesn't own their own boats, they contract out to other operations. First, off Playa del Carmen we drift dove a couple of modest reefs and tried, but failed, to attract some Bull Sharks. These were basically what I was expecting, as much about Julian assessing my capabilities as me regaining my sea legs.

The next day, I chose to dive a cenotes named "Jardin de Edan". Any cenotes is worth the trip, this one especially for it's approximation of a cave dive. It being off peak, it was just Julian and me for the diving which was great. The first dive was to acclimate to the fresh water and tour the cenotes. The second, we dove through an underwater tunnel to a second cenotes inaccessible except by the tunnel. The utterly alien environment was a completely new experience and firmed my resolve to dive more frequently. (perhaps pursue a cave diving cert) I never worried for my safety for a second, as Julian was well trained and extremely competent.

My final dive was off Cozumel. Again, it was me and Julian riding along on a partner operators boat. There were three Dive Masters for the four divers, which meant we had a great deal of flexibility. The initial Wall dive was outstanding. With a breadth of sea live, swim throughs and a excellent visibility, it was one of the best dives I've ever had. The second dive was a drift dive along a busy reef with a breadth of variety and activity. The perfect, leisurely finish to the trip.

All told, Playa Scuba was a superb experience and I wouldn't hesitate to utilize them again or offer a recommendation. And if you see Julian, ask him about his other job.

1 Thank Jonathan L
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best Scuba Ever!!”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I had our honeymoon in Playa Del Carmen. We got certified in San Diego before our trip and we were warned by a lot of our instructors to be very careful about how we go about scuba diving in Mexico. I had a colleague at work refer me to Playa Scuba Dive Center, in Playa Del Carmen. He raved about them and said that he goes all over the world to dive, and this might have been his favorite place he had gone through. And after my own experience, I totally agree. The staff at Playa Scuba were so friendly, and they treated my wife and I like family. Luis was our guide, and he was great. He wanted us to have a great time, he knew where to find all of the different species, and helped us get up close to get a great view. Be he was also very concerned about safety as well. He made sure that we took mandatory safety stops everytime, so that we did not risk getting decompression sickness that could ruin the rest of our trip. All the staff there at Playa Scuba had a great respect for the sea and the wildlife as well. I don't do reviews on trip advisor very often, but this was absolutely my pleasure! I don't think I speak alone when I say that travelling in Mexico can sometimes create worries, especially when planning excursions and dealing with unknowns. YOu can rest assured that not only is the staff at playa scuba professional, safe, and thurough, but the town of Playa Del Carmen is also very friendly and safe as well.
So I rave about the staff of playa scuba, of course. But how were the dive conditions? We did the reef dive. We had a max depth of about 55ft, and the visibility was incredible, 100ft+!!! We saw turtles, 6 ft eels, all types of rays, and a huge array of tropical fish. The current was pretty fast, so we dropped down, let the current do the work for us, and it took us right along with the side of the reef the whole way. We were able to conserve our air quite a bit, which allowed us to stay down a bit longer. at the end of each dive we all surface together and our boat was right there waiting for us. The prices were very good! and consisted of 2 seperate dives. I cannot say enough about the professionalism of the staff, and the quality of the dives. If you find yourself planning a trip to the Yucutan, you would be making a mistake to not book a dive with Playa Scuba.

2 Thank Charlie A
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved them!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I decided to get open water certified on our honeymoon, and we had a great time with Playa Scuba! I know that everybody thinks they have the best experience with their certification because they have nothing to compare it to, but I really believe that Enrique is one of the best. I was nervous getting into the ocean the first time and getting water in my mask and all that, but Enrique has a gift for making people feel very comfortable and secure. He looked me in the eye, and even underwater, assured me that I could do it and everything would be fine. He also genuinely rejoiced with me when I got it, and was doing better.
The whole staff was personable, and when they made a mistake with our payment, they corrected it for us, giving us free rentals on our next dive.
Be prepared, though. This is not a resort shop. This is a small, mom&pop kind of shop where people care about you and befriend you. If you are looking for quality people and great diving, this is your place. If you are looking for super fancy, you might want to go elsewhere. I work in small business development so I am all about supporting the little guy. Therefore, I could not have asked for a better experience with Playa Scuba.
Enrique, Myriam, Monica, Alex, Luis, you guys are the best!!

1 Thank Brittany S
playascuba, Manager at Playa Scuba Dive Center, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
I'm glad your fears discipated and you are a water person now.We wish you great dives and many joyful moments with this new and great activity in your life.Hopefully our paths cross again and you dive with us again or send friends and family you are always part of our family.Cheers...K
Alsip, Illinois
“Playa Scuba a great and amazing time if you are looking a nice relaxing dive”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I am Chicago, IL and I took my open water certification with this company. I love how personal the employees of this company work with they dont treat you like just a another scuba diver but another human being. I loved how fun loving and comedic they are especially Klaus and my instructor Enrique. I liked how Louis was very attentive and informative. I also like how this group would go out for a nice cold beer and some ceviche after a nice long dive. TOTALLY LOVE it. Aside from the warm personalites the open water dives and cenotes are a must to do with this company. So if you are looking for a dive shop thats not too rigid and love warm, funny, loving personalities PLAYA SCUBA is your place to go.

Visited September 2012
Thank you for the great review you made our day. Hope to dive with you again soon we got many more things we want to show you cenote the Pit, cenote Angelita Mama Vina wreck and many more great dives in the Yucatan Peninsula and Playa del Carmen.
Cheers ...your new family at Playa Scuba Dive Center...K