“The greatest experience!”

Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Ranked #58 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 28, 2011

We stayed at Azul Fives mid February and were very impressed by our whole vacation. We stayed there with our 4 children and really couldn't have asked for a friendlier place to be.
Our room was a 1500 square foot suite, perfect for a family of our size. We had 1 king size bed in our side of the suite with a roof top hot tub, bed, couch and lots of sitting room. The other side of our suite held 2 queen size beds for our children to sleep on as well as their own washroom.
The beach was really nice but you definitely notice the coral as you start navigating the ocean. However, that is easily remidied by walking down the beach for 5 minutes where you find a smooth enterance.
The pools weren't crowded, enough chairs for everyone. The water temp was perfect after laying in the sun. The swim up bars were well located and always ready with a drink for you.
The restaurants (have 4 but we went to 3) had a great selection of good food and using the all inclusive option, we ate until our hearts content. The coffee from Columbia was literally second to none! Better than Starbucks or Tim Hortons, Van Houtes or any other that I've tried.
The service... wow! We loved our waiters and hostesses, they were so friendly and eager to help my children learn spanish when asked. They truly went above and beyond.
We are already looking forward to our next trip to Azul Fives!!

3  Thank Caughtthebug6
Write a ReviewReviews (6,876)

Reviewed February 28, 2011

We were at the resort for a week with a 2-year old. My wife & I were both in need of serious relaxation after a rough several weeks at work, and Azul-Fives was just the ticket. Here are a few details:

* The comprehensive package made it easy financially, and very convenient--we put our wallets away the 1st day and didn't need them again until it was time to go home, and all the restaurants were very good.
* I've never seen a resort with both staff &facilities so welcoming of small kids. There were lots of other families with little ones, and between their company and the excellent child center (especially the staff), both Mom & Dad and son were happy all week. (The toddler-sized robes were also a nice touch--made for a cute picture of our son.)

Overall, I haven't had such a hard time packing up to head home at the end of a vacation in quite a qule, and I heartily recommend Azul-Fives to anybody looking to get away from the real world for a while.

Enjoy!

(PS One small criticism--but really just that--for the times of year before it's really hot outside, pool heating would be a nice addition.)

1  Thank MRW1227
KarismaHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you sharing your experiences of your recent vacation at Azul Fives Hotel. We are thrilled to hear that your stay was “ just the ticket” and truly value your feedback.

We'd like you to know that as a result of feedback such as yours, we are looking into heating as a future project for the rare ocassions in which we receive cool temperatures in Riviera Maya.

On behalf of Azul Fives Hotel, we'd like to thank you for choosing to stay at our resort and hope to welcome you back again very soon!

Reviewed February 28, 2011

Wow, its amazing to see how polarized the reviews are on this hotel! Let me start by saying that I am one of those people who are extremely picky about hotels. Whereas it takes most people a couple of days to decide on a resort, I will take weeks and read every review out there. I travel down south (Mexico, Cuba or Dominican Republic) once a year and have been to perhaps 10 different resorts. I search for resorts that are luxurious but at a good value (I refuse to pay more than 1600-1700$CAD for a week). I will say that I did have some reservations about the hotel after reading some of the reviews, but all of my worries flew away the moment I arrived at the resort.
First of all, the place is absolutely GORGEOUS. The decor is outstanding, and we were treated so well when we first arrived to the hotel. Eduardo, our bellman was so sweet and helpful making sure we felt comfortable when we arrived in the room. If you can afford it, I really recommend taking the one bedroom suite; when I travel, I usually go for the most economical room, but I paid about 13$ extra per person, per day and i found it to be really worthwhile. The bed was really comfortable, and the room was always really clean. The only thing that is a bit confusing all the light switches! There are so many them, and even on the last day, we still didnt fully comprehend which ones opened which!
The first time we arrived at the pool and beach area, our mouths dropped. The place is stunningly beautiful and I absolutely loved the infinity pool. Chris (Rock) and his brother Alfonso are the pool butlers and they are absolutely amazing. They really go out of their way to make you comfortable, putting your towels down for you, and asking if you need anything. At the pool, they have towels, sunscreen, magazines, cool face towels, all you might need. Also, I wasnt aware of this before leaving but they have approximately 8 day beds on the beach. You have to reserve them ahead of time, so speak with the butlers a day or two ahead. The man who delivers the drinks at the pool was also incredible, passing by often (unfortunately his name escapes me at the moment).
One thing I will mention is that I would characterize Azul Fives as almost like an upscale family resort. My friend and I are in our mid-20s and prefer quieter resorts for rest + relaxation. There were not many people our own age, besides a few couples. This did not bother us. Most people at the resort are either traveling with their spouse, or with their spouse and young children. I did not see many kids over the age of 4 (this is a good sign considering we went during the school year). There were alot of babies around one or two years old. Would I have known this before coming, I still would have gone to the resort however, for others it might be something to consider.

I really dont know how anyone can fault the service at this hotel. Its obvious that the management puts a very high emphasis on providing top-notch service and the employees do. Everywhere. The nicest thing on top of it, is that during a conversation with one of the waiters, they told us that are also treated really well which makes it easy for them to do a good job. This was really nice to hear. At all the restaurants, the service was wonderful. I cannot remember everyones name, but Gregorio and Joel were two that really stood out. At the Tsukis, all the waiters were really nice. Although the waiters always passed by and were really attentive, one issue we had was how slowly the food was served at the two pool side restaurants. Dont get me wrong, I dont want them compromising the quality for lighting fast service, but it often took 20-30 minutes to receive our meals, even simple things. Also, one night we went to Tsukis (where the food is amazing) but the restaurant was full and we were told to return. We did return an hour later and had to wait so long, that we decided to leave. However, Joel and a couple of other servers were kind enough to run after us and bring us to the Mediterranean restaurant right next door, and tried really hard to please us and make up for it.
In terms of activities and excursions, all we did was travel to the town, and play tennis. I have an important note to write about traveling to Playa - REMEMBER that it should cost 12$ US to get there, not a penny more. Our driver tried to convince us that it was 15$ and we ended up paying it. Dont make our mistake.
Tennis: Pedro who worked at the tennis court may have been the highlight of our trip. He is so kind, and such a good teacher. A private lesson is alittle steep (45$) but at 8am every morning there are free group classes. When I went one morning, there was only one other person, so its more like a semi-private class. Be sure to bring tennis shoes, its slippery. But honestly, this guy deserves a raise.
The entertainment staff is also amazing - so thank you Alex, Gam, Hilarios and others were making our week special!
Another thing is: the sun is extremely strong, so wear lots of sunscreen and apply often. My friend got an extremely bad sunburn. But, another testament to the service - one of the managers found out, went to the store to buy her cream and tried to locate us at the resort to give it to us. Thank you Mr. Nunez!!
Now the spa: we both went for a 1 hour massage. It was a really great experience, but extremeeeellly expensive. They had a promotion so we got 80 minutes for around 130$ (CAN). My massage wasnt the best, but my friend really liked hers. However, they make the whole experience wonderful so we were actually there for like 3 hours. You have access to the spa area (with waterfall pools - but the hot one was actually cold) and saunas. They bring you to a room before and after your massage were they put heating pads on your back while you drink tea in a tranquil environment. Its terms of the WHOLE experience, it was the nicest spa ive ever been to.

Ok - last thing: the front desk service was generally good, but I hate to say this it could have been a bit better. I dont want to get anyone fired, but here were some of the things that happened at the front desk:
- I had a question about TV channels, and whether they had ABC, and the guy told me to "go to the pool area and ask the guy with shorts on." Normally, I would think they would find out for the guest.
- The day before we were leaving, we went to the front desk and asked what time our bus would be coming to pick us up the next morning. Our flight was at about 11am so we figured someone would come at around 8am or so. The person said that they didnt know and that we should contact our travel company. I mentioned that normally there are binders with the information left in the lobby and the person said there wasnt. We got really nervous and figured we should be at the lobby at 7am to make sure we wouldnt miss our bus. We were talking with other guests and found out that there ARE binders at the front desk with the information in it. Thank goodness we found this out, because the bus passed really early.
I also asked this person to schedule a wake up call for the next morning at 6am, but it never happened. We were lucky that we had a back up alarm.

Overall, I would really recommend this hotel! Please feel free to contact me with any questions!

And a big THANK YOU to everyone at the hotel for an amazing trip!!!

Side note of things that I recommend could be changed to improve the service:
-i really appreciate that this hotel has tried to be at least slightly "environmentally friendly." it mentions in the room that if we want our towels changed, to put them on the floor. However, as much as I tried to save our towels for a couple of days by placing them back on the rack, they were always changed. Most people probably appreciate this, but its really not necessary. Also, I have never been to a resort that recycles but I really encourage the management to start putting designated areas in the room for water bottles. I would always leave my recyclables in a corner but I am sure they got tossed in the can. The waste that goes on in these places is really unbelievable and the Azul Fives could really be setting a precedent.
-i know most people dont travel to watch tv, but most of the american channels were missing (ABC, FOX, NBC). the reception wasnt great either.
-Bathroom lighting could be improved slightly (using higher wattage lightbulbs), like other reviews remarked it was alittle challenging to apply makeup
-time of delivering food in the restaurants

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank eclipze006

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your positive feedback with us here on Tripadvisor. We were delighted to read your positive, upbeat comments and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the service received by our Front Desk agents. I'd like you to know that this has been discussed with our Front of House Manager in order to identify the training needs of each employee to ensure all guests receive high quality service.

We only want our guests to leave with a smile and therefore we appreciate your suggestions. Great effort is directed at our “Going Green” program and we can assure you that we do recycle and practice garbage separation. However we have reviewed your suggestions with our head of housekeeping.

On behalf of Azul Fives Hotel, I'd like to personally thank you for choosing to stay at our resort and we do hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed February 26, 2011

Wonderful family vacation. Not sure this would be my pick without kids, but this is a perfect spot for families looking for a sophisticated resort that caters both to kids and adults alike. Never crowded or over-run with hoards of the party-crowd. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank Bits5
Reviewed February 24, 2011

This is first review for this hotel by a couple from England - in fact probably some of the first Brits to stay here, and I felt I had to write this review ( the first we have done on Trip advisor) as we had such an amazing stay.

We were staying at the Karisma Seaside Suites (which was also fantastic) when we were offered a 5 night stay at the Azul Fives Hotel. We were happy to see another Karisma resort as we had been so impressed by the Seaside Suites.

After a free taxi transfer we arrived to a lovely welcome and were blown away by the fantastic one bedroom apartment we were staying in. For Londoners like us where we are used to hotel rooms in London and Europe sometimes no bigger than a broom cupboard ,we were delighted with the space and amenities - full size kitchen, living room, dining table for eight, double sink, walk in shower, very large bed, double terrace etc etc. It was kept extremely clean and I have never been in a hotel that offered so many towels both for the bathroom and the beach - no towel ticket to keep until your last day.

We were a few steps from one of the huge pools, which although not bath water warm was lovely - who needs hot pools, we were in Mexico for heavens sake ! My favourite was the infinity pool at the beach with built in jaccuzis.

The grounds are kept imaculate and will look even better when the gardens have matured in a year or two.

I have read some reviews on here complaining about the food - have any of you ever stayed in a all inclusive before? This is by far the best standard I have come across for food in an all inclusive hotel, and we have travelled extensively in the Caribbean and Europe. The choice is outstanding, extremely fresh and arrived with no delay. You can eat as much as you like, if you want 3 starters and 2 main courses you can have them, but the portions are by no means small and a 3 course meal is more than plenty. The house wine is also very drinkable ( mostly spanish - our favouite) and they will give you a choice of wines if you ask them. The Sea Olive was fantastic, Flavours did a wonderful breakfast and the Asian was also excellent and on a par with many I have eaten in. They also had a barbeque in the grounds one day which although we didn't try had a great choice . This is truely what it says - Goumet Inclusive .

The choice of cocktails and premimum spirts in the bars is also very good, we have discoverd Dirty Martinis made with Grey Goose vodka - which is hard to come by in England but were made perfectly by our barman.

The hotel was not full and we had absolutely no problems finding beach beds etc, but there appeared to have so many of them I wouldn't image there ever being a problem.

One day it rained ,a bit miserable sometimes when you are stuck in a hotel room, but here we spent the day lazing around our apartment with a relaxing jaccuzi , DVD's available from reception, live English Premier league football on ESPN and very efficient room service, which is available 24 hours.

The spa is lovely and we had a Valentines full body massage from 2 lovely ladies which left us feeling very pampered and so laid back.

The resort is only a five minute taxi ride from Playa Del Carmen ($10 one way ) a great place for a spot of shopping, and if you do want a bit of a wild night out check out some of the bars in the evening and don't miss the show at Coco Bongo's, a really fun show especially after a few tequilas.!!

As we had booked for 14 nights at the Seaside Suites we were due to be picked up from there for our transfer - however, no problem the staff arranged another free taxi for us from Azul Fives to the airport.

Throughout our stay here the thing that stands out the most for us was the staff. Always happy, always there to help and you genuinely felt they all, without exception, wanted you to enjoy your holiday. Too numerous to mention by name we want to thank you all for making our time there one of the most memorable experiences we have had on holiday.

In conclusion I would absolutely recommend this hotel to everyone, and for us Brits get there quick before the rest of England discover it -you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sallyjim45
Reviewed February 24, 2011

We just returned from a 10 night stay with our 4 and 5 year old kids as well as Grandpa.

We rented a one bedroom suite and then a double room for my dad, which was essentially attached. After quite some time in negotiating with the front desk why I didn't like the first room (keys didn't work 3 different times in same day, water heater and building elevator were broken), they finally agreed to move us. BTW - no one at the resort with the exception of the managers can make a decision...everything had to wait until I could talk to a manager, so if they are busy or not there, you sit and wait. The room they moved us to was on the ground floor, with a "view". I would recommend anyone with young kids to request a ground floor. The "view" was rather odd - essentially when you stepped out to the patio, you were directly staring across the walkway into the kitchen of a pool bar, Lizzards (grill, computers, stacks of plates, food, etc.) as opposed to one of the resort pools, but it was better than the first room they gave us, so I shut up. Other pool kitchens were enclosed, so I am not sure why this one wasn't.

The main things I would have liked to know about this place before I booked that I didn't know at that time are as follows;

Rooms. The one bdrm suite isn't as ideal as I thought it would be with small kids. We wanted a suite as opposed to a regular hotel room, which is why we came to this property in the first place. The intention was that the adults would be able to stay up later than the kids (8:00), but the suite only has one bed in the bedroom - no other options (like 2 queen or double beds), only one king size bed. The other "bed" is a sleeper sofa - which is obviously where folks would put the kids, but it is smack in the middle of the living room. So essentially, the whole point of getting a suite was lost. The room is big, very modernly decorated, the furniture isn't very comfortable - stiff "pleather" like material on the couch as well as benches and chairs at dining table. The lighting in the bathroom is terrible. We had other issues (no cable connecting the tv to the cable, no batteries in the ceiling fan remote, circuit breaker to hot water tank hadn't been turned on, called concierge multiple times about seeing if there was anything that the toddlers could stand on to reach the sink to wash hands, brush teeth, etc, but never received a returned call, etc.), but I really don't think anyone had ever stayed in these rooms before - so after a few days I just chalked it up to new property "stuff"). Several other people we met had 2 or 3 bdrm suites and were happy with the accommodations, but if you get a roof top deck with a hot tub, just know there is no way to actually be able to fill it with hot water.

Beach - the other reviews talk about "rocks" or "stones". All I can say is that the beach has significant boulders and coral in the ocean making it un-swimable directly in front of the resort. You can't really even go in up to your waste without navigating the coral. Most people walked down to the Princess or the Sandals resorts to swim in front of their properties (about a 10 minute walk either direction). Kind of a bummer when you have little kids.

Kids club - they ladies there are great although their are only a few that can speak more than a few sentences of English. A few items to note...the My Gym equipment can only be used at certain class times each day (one hour each day usually in the am), and there is a fee for My Gym. No where did I ever read this, even in the room brochure it doesn't say this - but the fee is $10/hour/kid. There is also a 24 or 48 hour notice and addtl. fee if you want them to watch an infant. I am not sure of the exact details on this, but another mom was telling me this was news to her that she had to give notice AND pay a fee as well. They do a really nice job of trying to do different activities and definitely a plus when it rains.

Pools. They are not heated. When I read this fact in other reviews I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but believe me, it is COLD! Most people at the resort won't even go in above their waist b/c it is freezing. We had a few days of rain and cooler temps, which really effected the water. If it is sunny every day, it helps, but a definite shock. There are "lagoon" pools throughout the property which are nice (also not heated). If you have little ones that need to nap, ask for a ground floor room along one of the pools, then you can sit in the sun or swim while they are sleeping. The music at the pool bars is just awful. We asked to change it or at least turn it off, but yet again, they had to ask a manager, this is a very unusual request, this is the CD that we play at all our properties, etc. It sounds like a dying whale - the wait staff are ready to blow their heads off - they really need to do something about it.

Restaurants. While we got bored with the food (only 3 main restaurants on the property), part of that was b/c we were there for 10 days. The other item to note is that the kitchens are sooooo slow. My kids didn't want to go back to the Olives restaurant b/c every time it was at least a 2 hour event - regardless of lunch or dinner. The "manager" of the Japanese restaurant Pablo was really rude and unhelpful - I won't go into details, but he really has an attitude and isn't very helpful - he was more concerned abut how he wanted to run the restaurant as opposed to making sure the guests were happy - an unusual attitude at this property. Most of the wait staff very much wanted to make your dining experience wonderful, but they are at the mercy of the kitchen - some meals the food would be uncooked in the middle, other nights the "molten" chocolate dessert was cold as ice, salads would be delivered 60 minutes after ordering, etc. I think they just need to work through some of the new resort issues and this will improve in time. Also, while there is room service, the menu has all of 5 or 6 items on it - we got it one night and it was terrible, so not really a decent option if you just want to relax.

Bars. There are plenty of pool bars to enjoy during the day (all close by 6) - but the one thing we really missed was there is no lobby bar or anything like that to congregate at. There is a "nightclub" that opens at 6, but it never had anyone in it before dinner and if you went there after dinner, there were green strobe lights playing, and again, nothing really happening until their nightly shows - which started at 9:30 or 10....so we were disappointed there was no family activities for the early evening or anything before 9:30 at all. This was a really big void for us and many of the other guests there as well.

There were some very special people that went out of their way to make our stay a pleasure - they were Elenka at the pool...my son adores her....Alex at the pool...Alfonso the pool butler and Marcheleno at the Lizzards bar...they all gave excellent service and should be rewarded for it. Sol and Alena (sp?) at the restaurants did their best too to make us happy.

All in all, it was a nice resort, pretty, modern property (not typical Mexican feeling property), but probably best served to those looking for a quiet vacation.

3  Thank JenFlodin
Reviewed February 23, 2011

We booked to stay at Azul Fives based on the 1bdrm set up due to our 2 young kids, 2yrs & 3yrs. I planned on writing a detailed review of the resort with lots of information such as menus, internet rates, photos, resort maps, wine and drinks, and kids club. This seemed to be missing from the reviews and photos.

When we checked in, we were told they were overbooked and could only accommodate us in a standard room for 4 nights, then 3 in the room we booked. They offered some additional compensation but it was resort credits (all inclusive package + resort credits = who cares) . As it turns out, another couple from Canada were also downgraded on the same day. A few days later I overheard another family checking in and given the same story, overbooked.

The 1+ bedroom configuration is why people book and they are clearly overbooking the resort. Because of this approach, I can not recommend staying here and will not be going back either.

For us, this downgrade really added needless frustration and cramped space to a much needed vacation. Stay away unless you are happy with a down grade.

On a final note, there's is so much potential for this place. I would say in our experience, almost all past reviews are fairly accurate. Clean/dirty room (i mean dirty!), english/no-english, nice/rude, slow/quick service. We encountered so much variability. We quickly figured out our routine to ensure we had a good time but we couldn't crack the crappy room situation.

1  Thank Sonny_Mos
Petit Lafitte
Petit Lafitte
#9 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#30 of 214 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!