“Really Struggling” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #52 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Edmonton, Canada
“Really Struggling”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

We booked to stay at Azul Fives based on the 1bdrm set up due to our 2 young kids, 2yrs & 3yrs. I planned on writing a detailed review of the resort with lots of information such as menus, internet rates, photos, resort maps, wine and drinks, and kids club. This seemed to be missing from the reviews and photos.

When we checked in, we were told they were overbooked and could only accommodate us in a standard room for 4 nights, then 3 in the room we booked. They offered some additional compensation but it was resort credits (all inclusive package + resort credits = who cares) . As it turns out, another couple from Canada were also downgraded on the same day. A few days later I overheard another family checking in and given the same story, overbooked.

The 1+ bedroom configuration is why people book and they are clearly overbooking the resort. Because of this approach, I can not recommend staying here and will not be going back either.

For us, this downgrade really added needless frustration and cramped space to a much needed vacation. Stay away unless you are happy with a down grade.

On a final note, there's is so much potential for this place. I would say in our experience, almost all past reviews are fairly accurate. Clean/dirty room (i mean dirty!), english/no-english, nice/rude, slow/quick service. We encountered so much variability. We quickly figured out our routine to ensure we had a good time but we couldn't crack the crappy room situation.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Sonny_Mos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,647)
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

We stayed here Feb. 9-16th 2011 and love it! I think the two things that stand out the most are 1) excellent customer service and 2) a beautiful resort yet very family friendly.

There are 3 restaurants, one is buffet, one mediterranean and one sushi/asian. Plus two or there small outside restaurants. The restaurants had great food and felt like dining in a fine dining establishment AS well as being very kid friendly - they are attentive to parents and children, have food for all, have boosters and highchairs and kid toys at all the restaurants. The service in the restaurants was fantastic. Fernando at breakfast was a very kind and helpful man! This allowed my husband and I to enjoy the food and ambiance a bit more as dining with two children can be a bit hectic.
The rooms are nice, very stylish and clean. It would be better if they were designed a bit more kid/family friendly, i.e. better places for kids to sleep. We were in a one bedroom, my husband and I slept in the "bedroom" and our kids in the living room just behind a sliding door from us. So when one person woke we all did. Otherwise this room was definitely big enough for us and we enjoyed it.
The pools are nice, some with gradual entry so great for kids to sit and play in shallow water. They are not heated but we didn't' think they were too cold.
The beach is nice, it is rocky/coral right infront of the resort so if you want to swim and play in the ocean you have to walk about 5 min. to a sandy spot. No big deal for us.
The kids club is really nice - clean with nice toys, it rained one full day we were there so this was a great resource. We also popped in various times throughout our stay, you can play inside or at a small park outside or a small kids pool.
All the resources for families was great for us (strollers, highchairs, crib).
My husband and I did a couples massage at the spa - it was fantastic as well. A beautiful spa and again great service. Although they do not tell you until after that they add a 10% service charge to the services at the spa.
Drinks are bountiful so you can always have a pina colada in hand but it is not a huge party resort.
All in all we had a great time and hope to go back! Being a new resort I just hope the beauty of the resort and the great customer service doesn't change as time goes on.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

I don't understand all of the positive reviews. Before leaving on this trip, and after reading all of the glowing reviews, I was pretty confident that I was going to a top-notch resort. Boy was I mislead! This resort is completely awful on more levels than I can mention: a) the food is awful, b) the beach is awful, c) the hotel lay-out is awful, d) the service is awful, and e) the pool is awful.

The awful service is what killed it for me. When I go to an all-inclusive resort I expect excellent food and drinks. The food, in particular, was horrible, and anytime we'd go to one of the restaurants something that should take 10 minutes would take an hour - it would be at least a 3 hour ordeal for any meal. For such a "highly rated", "exclusive", resort this is unacceptable. And I must note, this wasn't just an issue for my boyfriend in me... I was there for a wedding, and EVERYONE experienced crappy service, food, and drinks.

In April I stayed at a MUCH cheaper all-inclusive resort in Mexico... it blew this resort away. The only good thing going for Azul Fives are the rooms, which are very nice, however, I'm only sleeping there... so who cares?! In general, Azul Fives has a nice website with nice photos... but trust me, in reality, this place is not that sweet.

My advice is to stay at an all-inclusive that doesn't have condo owners and requires everyone to have the all-inclusive package. A resort that is set up for all-inclusive hotel guests is better set-up to meet your vacation needs.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JBLocke
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2011

My family and I stayed at the Azul Fives in Playa del Carmen over Christmas and New Years. We have 3 kids aged 13, 9 and 6. This was easily one of the best family vacations we have ever had. There was plenty of fun and activities to keep everyone entertained. The kids club was a huge hit for the 2 youngest. The pools were amazing, very large, they wind throughout the entire property. There are swim up bars in every corner of the property. The infinity pool at the beach was really nice. The beach is beautiful with lots of activities such as beach volleyball, snorkelling, massage and swimming in the warm blue ocean. There were always plenty of lounge chairs on the beach and around the pools. We never had to go early to reserve chairs like at other larger resorts. The food was outstanding. We ate at every restaurant at the resort and our favourite was Flavours. Our room was a 2 bedroom suite with 2.5 bathrooms. It was very spacious, modern, clean and very well appointed. We were a short walk to the beach, tennis court, kids club, restaurants and spa. The best part of the resort was the staff. We have never felt so well taken care of. The waiters, bartenders, front desk staff, etc all learned our names and made us feel very welcome. It was very difficult to go home, our kids are still talking about how much they loved it. We would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a fantastic family vacation. We will most definitely be going back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank CalgarySunSeekers75
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2011

My husband and I just went to Azul 5. The food is average. The drinks were not the best. The rooms are damp and we had to change ours because of a strong mildew smell. In the basic room there are no kings size beds. The hot water was inconsistent. I will say that this is a GREAT place to bring children of all ages- including toddlers. They have a kids play center and everything you need in restaurants and the room. MAYBE i would return in the future with our children.

ignavus9
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

We just returned form a very relaxing stay at the Azul Fives. The resort didn't disappoint - very large and well appointed rooms. We were surprised to find an entire apartment to ourselves complete with kitchen, dining room and living room. The entire resort is extremely clean and well maintained. Being a smaller boutique resort, you don't find the crazed mobs of people with their itineraries that are often found at family resorts, so it was generally quiet and relaxing for a couple traveling without kids.

The food was good, not mind blowing by any means. I'm not a food snob but I think the food is overpriced and not on par with many U.S. chains, let alone gourmet resorts.

Weather in February was a gamble and we ended up with 2 days of rain and clouds. I would plan for late Feb or March next time. Luckily there are still some things to do in Playa and Cancun on a rainy day. Unfortunately this resort didn't have much to do when the weather was poor so most guests stayed inside their rooms.

Finally, we enjoyed the beach due to the many tide pools and beautiful view. We did have to take a short walk on the beach to another resort to swim in the ocean due to all the rocks and broken shells right along Azul's beach. You can walk openly between resort beaches as there are no barricades, so we just walked 4 or 5 resorts down to find a nice open area.

Service was excellent in most cases, although slow in some cases, which didn't bother us since we had nowhere to be and wanted to unwind. Although I live in the States, I am originally from South Africa and not fluent in Spanish, and this did present a bit of a challenge as the staff mostly speak very broken English. This shouldn't be a deterrent for anyone, just something to keep in mind when prepping to go. I've been to other resorts in Playa and did not encounter this large of a language barrier.

Overall I'd recommend this resort to other couples or families.

CALGARY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2011

I have worked in the travel industry for 30 years and have stayed in many great hotels in many great countries, so when we decided to escape winter and head to Playa del Carmen ,we found Azul Fives. Looked nice in pics and good location about a five min drive to town. When we arrived i was pleased at the welcome, glass of champagne and beyond the most gracious welcome i have ever recieved in any hotel. We had a small miscommunication about our room category, but that was Instantly resolved with not even a minute of stress. The one-bedroom condo was FANTASTIC so beautiful, spotless (im a neat freak) and comfortable beyond expectations! The service by all staff is flawless, friendly, helpful.
Now i would like to dispell some myths i have read about the hotel, first and most important, the restaruants in the hotel are your BEST best in playa! We had dinner twice and lunch twice in playa del carmen, downtown found the food sub par at best and ridiculously over priced!!! Not to mention the waiters in town have a very nasty habit of adding thier own gratuity usually 20 to 40 dollars extra for the service for one watered down margarita and cold seafood.
The Azul Fives restaruants are very beautifully appointed, very comfortable and the food and drinks are half the price of town restaurants!!! The six meals we ate thier were simply , fresh delicious food! The beach in front of the hotel is typical of most beaches in the area,,,swimming directly in front is tricky ( short coral abundant there) but a very short walk will take you directly to ocean access. The swimming pools at the hotel are from a dream, endless, warm, swim up bars abundant and very unpopulated in front of the rooms, which was perfect for nite time quite swims. The main pool by the beach is a little more popular with great music, bar very handy and staff that will address every whim.
Now if you think this hotel might be too far to playa del carmen to suit your needs ( we did rent a car) we found the hotel so perfectly catered our needs that we only went to town a couple of nites...you can take a quick taxi for cheap and not worry about driving.
The value for the money at this resort is guanteed, simply they are rated five star, in my travel journal they rate 7. It is a must stay if playa del carmen in your plans!

1 Thank FERRARI64
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Fairmont Mayakoba
Fairmont Mayakoba
#7 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,468 reviews
The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
The Royal Haciendas All Suites R...
#42 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#6 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,964 reviews

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!