“Beautiful resort experience”

Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Ranked #58 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I have only been to an all-inclusive once before (in Cuba). I'm not a big fan of them but being a single mom with two young boys (6 and 4 years old), I felt I desperately needed a "day off" from the cooking and cleaning & a bit of adult time. I also had additional reservations as my eldest son has allergies to peanuts and tree nuts and I was concerned about the typical buffet all inclusive menu.

I read about Azul Fives and liked the fact that you could order a la carte and the reviews of the food were good. I managed to contact the General Manager Mr. Mathieu to ask him how the restaurants and staff handle allergy requests. He was extremely accommodating and even put me in contact with his chief concierge Ana Vallejo, so that I would be received by the Executive Chef Mr. Nachón and their F&B Manager Mr. Jose Luis Piz. Mr. Nachón and Mr. Piz greeted us at the lobby upon check in and took great care to listen to my concerns. I offered to give them advanced notice of where we would like to dine for the week and also what my son could eat off the menu and they made sure everything was dialed in for us (we were one of first reservations so they made sure grill was cleaned and no cross contamination etc..). I have to say that I was extremely comforted to know that I would not have to worry about my sons allergies.

We had a great room in building 14, off of the pool. Great to have the view but also the lounge chairs to hang wet suits and such. Joselito cleaned our room impeccably and we were always pleasantly surprised by his fun towel animals he left for us on our beds.

My sister and I spent the mornings at the beach/pool doing yoga, volleyball, water aerobics..The pool butlers Luis and Andres were great, really nice people and it was nice to see their smiling faces every day. Jorge (GI), was great at animating the crowd and my son fell in love with him when he put him on his shoulders. He knew us all by name and did his best to rally us to join the activities. All the servers were really pleasant, would always answer my "Thank You's" with "With Pleasure".

Sandra and Erica at the Azulitto's Kids Club were great and extremely accommodating to both me and my sons. The gym was a hit and Sandra does a great job at animating the kids club with fun activities like making guacamole, having tea parties, making cookies...

Orlando at Flavours and Sea Olive was our favourite server. We would seek him out. He was so kind to us and always looking out for my son and his allergies.

Rodrigo at the coffee bar was great fun as well and super accommodating.

In addition to the activities on the beach, my sister took tennis lessons and I used the gym and had a massage on the beach. My sister had a great time and learned a lot and I thought the staff did a good job at keeping the gym clean and door-free. Rosario my masseuse was great and super sweet.

I brought a box of cereal with me to help with the wake-up hunger pangs, to ward off my 'hangry' sons before making it to Flavours in the morning. I would wake up and order room service for milk and some croissants first thing. Room service usually said they would be 20 to 30 m and they were always on time which I appreciated.

The grounds are kept beautifully. The food was very good, (although my sister wasn't a fan of the Italian restaurant as food was very salty). For me, the whole experience was amazing and I would highly recommend Azul Fives for the resort, the friendliness and professionalism of the staff, the range of activities, and their attention to detail in responding to my out-of-the-ordinary requests regarding my sons allergies.

I have to say that the staff mentioned above really made our vacation the best it could have possible been. I would be interested in knowing what types of employee incentives or rewards are given to the staff as they are the face of the resort and surely deserve to be recognized for their hard work and dedication.

2  Thank wishingformoresun
Write a ReviewReviews (7,306)

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Just returned from Mexico. Stayed at the Azuls Five by Karizma. The customer service was second to none. Right from the reception we received at the arrival to the last minutes before leaving we were treated with exceptional care and respect. Any questions we had were addressed immediately. The service was trulely first class. The food presentation was well done and the waiters were always trying there best to serve us. Even when language was a bit of an obstacle the results were not hindered. The beaches access to the ocean may not be first glass but the infinity pool that allowed us to be near the beach was very inviting. We walked along the beach front both ways and came to realize our access to the water was pobably the best. We have been to Cuba and been to larger resorts with grandeous entertainments and find the more intimate atmosphere of this resort much more appealing. The entertainment was excellent in the evenings and recomend you don't miss a show. There is a young man who works there his name is Hector and I have to say he is an exception piece to the puzzle that was our vacation. He is very entertaining and genuinely loves his job. He not only shows enthusiasm during the shows but cares enough to take the time to interact with the guests between the events. This gentleman is a great find and few and far between. Keeping him in the organization will only enhance the appeal of this resort or any where he works. Daily activities at the beach included water erobics, soccer and volleyball with the staff interaction and encouragment. There is so much more to say but best to say just go and enjoy yourself you won't regret it. Thanks Norman

Room Tip: open the doors and enjoy the evening breeze.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank NormanVoisine
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Upon arrival, we were greeted with bubbly wine, which was nice. After going through the usual orientation, the transport person said we needed to make an appointment for the following morning between 8-10am. We were planning on sleeping in, we were on a vacation after all, but he said we HAD to come see him otherwise we would not be guaranteed the transport back to the airport 5 days later for which we paid $300 extra to get a private car !

We were there the following morning at 9 and the transport person proceeded to inform us about all the excursions we could take, trying to get us to go to a silver store where we could get a discount if we went with him, bla bla bla. We told him at the very beginning we were not doing ANY excursions, we were going to stay at the resort the whole time with our family. He pretty much ignored that and kept trying to sell us excursions. We got very annoyed as this was about an hour having to listen to him trying to sell something we had no interest in at all. Even after we explained over and over again that we wanted to get back to our family. Totally ignored.

Then staff sent us a nice letter under the door the following day offering $150 credit towards a bill because of our large party of 9 and it was a birthday celebration. Very nice we thought but when I called to see for what it could be used towards (birthday massage in the spa?) they told me I had to come to the concierge and listen to a 30-60 minute time-share video in order for them to approve the use of the credit! Of course we simply hung up on them at this point. How cheap that is.

We spend $15,000 dollars on bringing our family to stay at Azul Fives for 5 nights and they are doing everything to cut into the few family days that we have and trying to sell us something that we have absolutely no interest in and made that clear at the beginning of every conversation.

Two of the restaurants on the resort require a reservation, they are not walk in. Of course these are the best restaurants which is understandable. When we went to the concierge on our third day wanting to make a reservation for the last two nights there in the restaurant, they told us they could not take reservation except 3 days out... this is knowing that we are leaving 3 days later, and they do not take reservations for parties of 9, even if three are young children! Now what sense does that make?

Then after much arguing (my husband's native language is Spanish so no misunderstanding anywhere) finally the concierge said he would "make and exception" and told my husband to see another concierge - of which there are many throughout the property, I guess in case you want to look at time-share videos - and he went to see the other concierge, who proceeded to tell him to sit down while she was "working on it" and asked him to watch the video of the time-share offers... Now we're pretty much boiling as you can imagine.

To make a long story short, they finally made the reservations after we explained that there would be reviews like this one appearing on any website that we could post them. It took my husband about 1-1.5 hour to get two restaurant reservations done with the concierges (plural is on purpose).

How dare they take him away from his family vacation for that amount of time, something that should have been done in 5 minutes!

So, all the workers such as the waiters, the cleaning people, the gardners were very nice. Everyone higher up such as concierge,management, etcetera were annoying and unprofessional in their relentless pursuit of trying to sell us something - and thus ruining the very few days we had on our family vacation, first one ever for us!

Room Tip: We stayed in the three bedroom Sky Suite (penthouse suite) which were really nice and worked out per...
3  Thank FRQTRV
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear FRQTRV

Thank you for your recent family vacation at the Azul Fives Hotel, it was a pleasure to host your holiday however I'm very disappointed to hear that we fell below expectations. Firstly I would like you to know that the service issues experienced are not indicative of the attention to detail that we are renowned for. In order to address your concerns and follow up on the service issues encountered with the staff , I would like to identify your booking and find out more about your experiences, please feel free to contact me at the email below as well as our head of customer services, customerservices@karismamexico.com.

again thank you , your feedback has been well received and be carefully considered
Best Regards

Mario Mathieu
general Manager
gm@azulfiveshotel.com

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Beautiful beach , great location maybe 10 minute taxi ride to Playa del carmen.Units are beautiful, gardens are gorgeous.
This place could be fantastic ,only if they improved the service and cleanliness.
Some of the restaurants had very good food , buffets were unedible.
For days they would leave room service dishes in the rooms and we were told to clean them ourselves hhhmm. Then again service was not consistant, my daughter had another room and they had it cleaned early and no issues where as my room right beside it got cleaned after five every day.
Good family location.
I liked the fact that all the entertainment and restaurants were further away from the units so it was very peaceful holiday.

Room Tip: One bedroom south facing by the riverpool, walkout to terrace amazing. its like having your very ow...
2  Thank sini770
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed as a larger group from Jan 12-19th, 2014 at Azul Fives that included 3 generations containing 2 families of 4 with children aged 10 to 13 years old and of course the grandparents…. We had a BLAST! Our weather was pretty good (23C to 29C daytime highs; w/ humidity 28C to 35C) with rain on only one evening. When it happens to rain, the resort staff does their best to accommodate with transportation via stretch golf cart shuttles to move you around the resort’s property to villas, restaurants and entertainment venues. The staff is fantastic where ever you are on the resort. They are always giving you a smile & sincere “Hola” in passing taking their time from busy housekeeping, grounds/building maintenance or other. This was our first experience with using cards instead of wristbands. The card had your # and individual or group family picture on it and was needed to be shown at restaurants and bars for service.

Okay…. WOW, where to start? The resort was approx. 45-60 minute bus ride from the Cancun airport by our package’s transportation with one drop-off stop prior to ours. We were greeted at Azul Fives lobby with a cold refreshing towel, ‘blue’ champagne and drinks for the kids. After check-in we were escorted to our villa(s) via extended golf carts with a small tour along the way pointing out the important sights. The resort grounds are meticulously manicured and in constant grooming. Each day we saw something different in our travels from room to Infinity pool/beach from spider monkeys to raccoons (look like red panda’s with long stripped tails) to iguanas lying on rocks and lawn. Each family had a one-bedroom pool view villa (Grandparents had one-bedroom pool walkout) that were all very generous and spacious inside with modern décor that easily accommodated a family of 4 and gave privacy when wanted. The large sectional leather couch had a pull-out bed that the children preferred not to sleep on, but instead slept on top of the closed couch with linens. Each suite had 2 decks with the largest off the living area and the other off the bedroom. Everything within our villa worked, but my parent’s (aka ‘The Grandparents’) villa had some initial plumbing & air conditioning issues that were solved immediately. A water leak also occurred in their ceiling of the kitchen area later in the week that was also resolved urgently. I totally recommend the upgrade to the one bedroom (from a double bed Deluxe Room) if you have a family of 4…. and with older children I would then maybe go to the 2 bedroom to avoid the pull-out sectional sofa bed altogether. The full fridge was stocked constantly with a selection of beer, canned soft drinks, bottled water, chocolate bars, pretzels, & plantain crisps. Only if you stayed near your room & not utilizing the Infinity pool bar or other swim up bars would you could run out of stocked beer beverages in your room (omit a drinking problem too….. ha, ha). Staff would stock the brand of your preference if you wanted domestic, import or mixture.

The villa’s resort wrap around pool(s) are great with 2 active swim-up bars also with sit down food grills serving lunch. Pools are not heated (only by solar) meaning they get warmer as the days get longer….. but great when you want to cool off. They were a little cool when we were there, but being Canadian’s we swim in almost anything and to us cold water is actually called ICE…… (ha,ha) they really weren’t that bad. My son & I swam the length of the wrap around resort pools…. making every effort to stop at each swim up bar for a tasty quenching beverage and bartender’s interesting conversation along the way. We did not spend much time in the wrap around pool during our stay as all the action, activities and people are at the ‘Infinity Pool’ down towards the beach. It appeared that families with younger children (0-6 yrs.) stayed near their villa and by the wrap around pool bars/grills. The Grandparents had a ground floor one-bedroom pool walk-out villa that I think was better than our second floor, due to the great access to the wrap around pool. Less privacy yes….. but in under 10 strides off your patio put you directly into the pool! I would think about this for next time.

There is a tennis court (reservations needed) and activity area with deck shuffle board, king-sized chess & checkers, Ping-Pong table and basketball hoop. There is also a single archery range and hammock lounging area, thank goodness not side-by-side (Ha,Ha). The Kids Club was enjoyed also by our group where our youngest (10 & 11) would go to make crafts (piñatas) and play games organized by caring personnel (Ericka & others). The Teen Club had Xbox, movies, popcorn, beverages and pool table. Daytime activities at the Infinity Pool & beach are organized by a very energetic, enthusiastic and caring staff that urges participation in Zumba, dancing lessons, water aerobics, water polo, beach soccer, beach volleyball, bingo, archery and MC’ing the nightly entertainment which varies from circus/acrobat shows to karaoke & casino night. The kids got a kick out of casino night and playing blackjack in the Zky Bar with a live band playing….. they made more funny-money than me (I must think too much about odds while they just don’t care and have fun). Unfortunately we only got to see one night-time beach movie (Tues & Thurs) that they present on a big screen near infinity pool with snacks/treats as we had rain on second showing night. The activity staff deserves a huge shout out for all their efforts and sincerity.

The resort’s beach is quite large with light-beige powdery sand peppered with small white pieces of shells & coral that goes from the steps of the infinity pool all the way out into the ocean. I would approximate the beach as 150-200 feet from infinity pool to ocean and over 300 feet wide. Swim out into the clear Caribbean waters to find a man-made submerged breakwater that helps protect the beach from any pounding surf. I was surprised to find this area teaming with 100’s to maybe 1000’s of fish. A huge school of sardines found their refuge there with many Angel & Blue Stripped Grunt fish. Beside the resort’s beach is a public beach that has the coral reef coming right up onto the beach. This was also a great area (during low surf conditions) to explore the cracks & crevasses for marine life and fish with snorkel & mask. Pockets of fresh water teaming out from underneath the coral mixing with the ocean salt produced a distorted ‘heat wave’ mirage obscuring vision focus that was confusing at first, but a very neat phenomenon to experience.

Both of the fine dining restaurants require dinner reservations and are ‘fantastically incredible’ serving Italian (Arezzo) & Japanese/Pacific Rim (Tsuki). With our group of 10 we enjoyed both a set menu & individual ordering by splitting up into 2 table sizes. The food was very fresh, visually appealing and flavorful. Wine off the ‘Wine List’ in the restaurant is at additional cost, but there are many by-the-glass options that are included and we liked the Chardonnay & Merlot. Breakfast/Dinner was also served at ‘Flavors’ restaurant buffet with many quality choices and fresh cooking stations. The Sea Olive restaurant was another great choice for a sit down meal for lunch & dinner with lots of variety of light and full meals that required no reservation. Oriola Beach Club Grill was a hot spot for snacks & meals near the Infinity Pool/beach with huge variety of juicy burgers, wraps, salads and appetizers. The Infinity pool swim-up bar and resort wrap around pool bars served exquisitely prepared blended/mixed drinks with friendly conversation. We also ordered from the room service (included in our inclusive package) that came promptly and was delicious….. plus the kids love room service! Fine dining reservations can be made 3 days in advance (concierge) with little trouble and we alternating our dining preferences. Kafeina (Health Bar) serves fruit juices, health drinks, smoothies and coffees (some have cost outside of all-inclusive).

Pros:
- One bedroom rooms are huge (>1100sq.ft) with full kitchen, beverage stocked fridge, granite island, large eating area, leather sectional couch w/ pull-out, toilet/sink, French sliding doors opening up king bedroom with Jacuzzi tub, shower, double sinks, toilet stall, closet, locking safe & 2 TV’s, DVD player.
- Bottled water & lots of it…. constantly stocked in rooms
- Activity staff (Luis, Hector, Jorge, Sadie & all the others!!)
- Resort grounds manicured to tropical perfection
- Wrap around resort pool with swim up bars & grills
- Arezzo Italian & Tsuki Japanese, Sea Olive, Oriola Grill, & Flavours restaurants have fantastic fresh food and choices
- Reservations for restaurants guaranteeing your table & minimal wait. This way you can plan your day and not wait in restaurant lobbies at busy times
- Cater to families with young children (high chairs, toys & baby amenities at all restaurants)
- Nightly entertainment quality & variety (wish there were more ‘movies by the beach’)
- Beach beverage waitress service….. Ari (hope I have name right) works so hard serving and cleaning up after everyone!!!
- Beach & ocean, great spot, clean beach with soft powdery beige sand from resort’s edge to 300ft out into water
- 45 minutes away from Cancun (very close… but not too close)
- Close to Mayan excursions (we went to Xel-Ha for snorkeling water fun – highly recommend & Tulum ruins)
- Kids Club (the 10-12 yr. olds had a blast & treated very well by staff)
- Teens Club (our young teens were more active at the pool & beach activities)
- Concierge service for all kinds of information & reservations
- View from our room of wrap around pool
- Spa (although we never used it, Grandparents said it was great!)
- Water sports (snorkel/mask/fins & kayaking)
- Cleanliness…… staff are always sweeping, washing, trimming & picking up after guests taking pride in resort & their work.

Cons:
- Wi-Fi charges…… why?? Its ‘free’ (aka included in cost) at lesser resorts
- My wife/sister-in-law/mother all agree the bathroom lighting is horrible….. although I had no problem brushing my teeth under it (ha,ha)
- Leather sectional is a great lounging couch but a very-very uncomfortable pull-out bed say my 10 & 12 year old, but really…. What pull out bed have you ever slept on that was comfortable?? For this I would recommend a 2 bedroom villa for larger kids/guests.
- Full kitchen with no cutlery, pots or pans….. but I mean really, it is an all-inclusive resort so it had no real bearing on us. Room service came with everything you needed to eat.
- Cooler pools – less solar heat means cooler pool (ocean was warmer) that’s also why there is water aerobics to keep you moving, not really a bid deal either
- No late night beverages – Zky Bar resort night club is the only choice unless you are attending nightly entertainment that has a beverage service (or if you still have any beer left in your stocked fridge back at room)
- All-Inclusive card vs. wrist band - Being male and wearing swim shorts with a pocket it was not an issue, but for females and some swim garments of choice, it could be. Wrist bands do look gaudy too though.
- Not really too much to complain about other than ‘pay Wi-Fi’ being the single most important issue

From check-in….. to check-out and everything in between, we were treated with sincerity by an appreciative staff showing compassion in their resort and profession. Would we stay here again…. You bet…… and highly recommend to others.

Room Tip: Lower ground floor pool walk-out rooms are great for families with children
5  Thank Roo55
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This was a our first vacation as a family, so I was very worried about the resort meeting our expectations. I'm happy to report that it did so, and also much much more! I have so much to say...I'll try to hit on the most important stuff that I haven't seen commented on much before

Travel dates: January 24-31 2014

Our group: Two adults, an almost 3 year old and a 9month old

The staff: the staff here is amazing. They are all extremely friendly, extremely helpful, extremely everything you could hope for! We had nothing but great experiences from the front desk to the concierges, the waiters, the groundskeepers, the animators, the maintenance staff - I only wish we had learned more spanish words so we could tell them exactly how great they are in person!

Room: we had requested a Pool View One Bedroom Suite in either Villa 4 or 5 since they are closest to the beach and all the restaurants. We arrived to find we were magically upgraded to a Sky Suite, but in Villa 10, closer to the front of the resort. It ended up fabulous - it was nice and quiet, and the walk wasn't really that far anyway. Plus, SkySuite? Yes please! We were really able to make use of the extra outdoor space since my son still naps twice a day and refused to nap in the stroller as we had hoped. The sliding door doesn't provide much soundproofing, but we used a whitenoise app and the kids slept soundly.

Food: We loved the buffet breakfast at Flavours, and never ordered off the menu once. We ate at all the restaurants except for Tsuki and all our meals were delicious. Sea Olive was our favorite, mostly because our picky daughter loved their chicken nuggets the best, and we became addicted to their delicious fish tacos. We also ordered room service breakfast twice, and it was delivered hot, fresh and tasty. My husband frequented Kafeina each morning bright and early because our son refused to sleep past 6am... he said the cappuccino and juice he had each day were delicious, but that they did open late one day.

Pools: these pools were ridiculously clean considering you didn't get out stinking of chlorine. Yes, the water is brisk, but feels so good on a hot day. Neither of our kids complained about the water temperature, and that's all that mattered to us! We brought our own floaties, but I noticed their are some basic blow-up ones available in the gift shop. I have no idea what the prices were like, though. The zero entry spot, ideal for little toddlers, is at the end of the pool closest to the Kids' club and tennis courts. That's also the warmest spot.

We never had trouble finding a chair around the pool, but it was sometimes difficult to get an umbrella. There are waiters who pass quite often all around the pool and so there is no concern of getting a spot right next to the bar. We also never had a problem getting a drink by walking to the side of the bar rather than swimming up.

The beach area was IMPOSSIBLE as far as getting a shaded seat - we aren't the kind of people who feel good about "saving our seat for later", but apparently most people don't have the same problem with this as we do. When we would take walks or eat lunch there were so many seats that seemed empty most of the day, even though there is a sign saying the beach butler would remove items from empty seats after one hour. Because of this the baby and I spent a total of about 10 minutes at the beach, but my husband and our toddler got to play in the sand and the waves.

Children's amenities: We chose this hotel because they cater to children and because of the availability of a separate bedroom in the suite rather than a "Junior Suite" setup. I feel we have been spoiled now! The closed bedroom in the suite was invaluable. We were able to put the kids to bed in the master bedroom in the evening and still unwind with some drinks without disturbing them. We checked some toys out of the "toy library" a few days into our stay as well. Each restaurant has plenty of high chairs (we only waited for one once) and lots of toys that you can bring to the table. We also used the Wi-Fi towards the end of the trip as our toddler's table manners dwindled - we allowed her to watch Netflix while we ate in (relative) peace. The only place the WiFi wouldn't seem to work was in Flavours. (a big thank you to Alejandro, who was lucky enough to be our waiter that night, a particularly challenging dinner with the 3 year old indeed....but he was really fantastic and we thank him for it!)

Azulito's Kids Club is really fantastic. Our kids were too young to leave them there, but we took part in some of the evening activities with them. The staff are so sweet and so friendly, my daughter felt comfortable with them immediately. The toys in the baby room were in great shape and very clean, and the foam floor was nice for our little guy who's constantly falling over. We often saw the daytime activities around the resort - playing in the sand, and a treasure hunt for example - and the kids seemed to be having a great time.

My daughter loved spotting the monkeys and the iguanas! This made the walks to the restaurants very pleasant!

The only issue we had with our room: on the first night the sliding door leading to the master bedroom wouldn't close. My husband advised the front desk around 7 the next morning and by 8am maintenance was there to fix it. It ended up being a pretty complicated job, but they had it completed and cleaned up before my son's second nap of the day.

Some things we would change if we could:
- it would be really nice to be able to order a bottle of wine to the room through room service without an extra charge.
- when we first tried to check out toys from the toy library there were none left, which was a disappointment since we hadn't packed much of anything for our toddler. We didn't spend a ton of time playing in the room, but when we finally got a toy it was helpful for keeping her busy while we got dressed and ready for dinner.

Room Tip: Villas 4 and 5 are closest to Kids' Club and Beach. Can be handy if you forget something in the...
4  Thank jules9999
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Must go! Had penthouse one bedroom in villa 2 perfect ! Shout out to DR Smoothie must stop in to see him at the coffee shop! Must use Anna and Roserio for concierge services they will take great care of u! I highly recommend doing their 90 min presentation to see the travel packages for future travel particularly if u want to save money! Thank you to everyone who made our experience the greatest. Oh and do not forget room service these guys work hard to keep you happy and it is part of all inclusive no extra fees!

• Stayed: January 2014
Mahekal Beach Resort
Mahekal Beach Resort
#32 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
THE FIVES HOTEL & LUXURY RESIDENCES
THE FIVES HOTEL & LUXURY RESIDEN...
#112 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#4 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
Petit Lafitte
Petit Lafitte
#6 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!