Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Canada
“Paradise”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Our stay at the Azul Fives Hotel was excellent. The staff were all very pleasant, courteous and polite, all with a smile on their face. Everything was extremely clean and well kept inside and out. Although Wi-Fi was an extra charge it worked well throughout the complex except the Flavors restaurant. It was fun to see the monkeys in the wild also. They all seemed to be happy and healthy.The one negative comment I have is about the Sky Bar. It is closed till 5;30pm so when it rains there are very few places one can go to stay dry and perhaps have a bite to eat and a drink while still enjoying the beautiful ocean view.

2 Thank Lynne W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,743)
  • Polish first
Edmonton
Reviewed January 27, 2014

The Azul Fives is a great concept. They have 14 condo /suite buildings laid out with meandering pools seperating them. They lead you down to the beach club and the Carribbean with occaisional swim up bars and snack / light meal kitchens.
All the restaurants were excellent, good food and good service with great views.

3 Thank dowbiggin
Calgary
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We had an opportunity to stay in a Penthouse Suite from Jan. 10 to Jan.19th with our close friends. The staff were so welcoming and friendly. Always a genuine smile and a friend hello in Spanish.
We started every morning with a light breakfast at Flavors. A good Varity of healthy choices and the temptation for the French toast was always a battle to overcome.
The resort is beautiful. When you walk through the well cared for gardens and pools that wind throughout the resort you get a sense of serenity and peacefulness. These pools are very clean and a great place to relax if you want to get away from the vibrant activities at the beach infinity pool that overlooks the ocean. Great service from the pool waiters to enjoy all the specialty drinks the resort has to offer.
There are ample lounge chairs on the beach and a large area for swimming and snorkeling. I was surprised at the number of fish I saw within this roped off area.
We would definitely stay at the Azul Fives again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

6 Thank doctorde
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for your great review , it was a pleasure host you at the Azul Fives Hotel and I look forward to your return. Please do not hesitate to contact prior to your next stay and I will be happy to asisst with any pre arrival requests and arrangements.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2014

An amazing at the Azul Fives by Karisma! Everything was great and outstanding. Staff awesome, very nice room! No seriously! this hotel is something to try, you wont be disappointed! Great beach no rocks at all!

Room Tip: Buffet is only good for the breakfast, sea olive and the grill bar for lunch... both all inclusive...

2 Thank Jean-Philippe L
Thank you for your kind words and I'm very happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Azul Fives Hotel. From all the staff , we looking forward to your next visit.

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Our family was at Azul Fives Between Jan 17th- Jan 24th. The grounds were immaculately clean, and had beautiful lush green gardens and flowers,food delicious where ever you went, buffet or restaurant. The servers at the beach and pool always made sure you had something to drink. NO lunch buffet but snack bars and restaurants available.Pools were crystal clean. The Michael Jackson show was amazing and very entertaining. We would definitely go back !!

Room Tip: Pool view rooms were great.
4 Thank 4cre123
Many Thanks for your review, I truly appreciate your feedback and we are all happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Azul Fives Hotel.

We look forward to your next visit

BASINGSTOKE
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Firstly, let me say that overall our stay was lovely, however, there were some things that were not so good so below follows our honest review of all points considered........

Our favourite part of our holiday & by far the best were the staff. They are all extremely friendly but I want to make special mention to the below people who were excellente in every area!

Infinity pool
Pool Butlers: Andres & Louis - Excellente!
Bar staff: Julia & Suzie (this is her name in English but her real name is something like Asusia). Suzie especially went out of her way to accommodate my rose wine requests! Thanks so much, you made my holiday special Suzie! - Excellente!

Animation: Hector is excellente! So much fun, great at what he does, you can always count on him to make you laugh and entertain you in some very amusing and unusual ways! Will miss you and Emilie sends her love!

Vassa Spa:
Rosario - absolutely fantastic massage and reflexology, highly recommended and a really lovely person to get to know. - Excellente!

Kids Club: Everyone but especially Sandra - Excellente!

Flavours restaurant: Ricardo - an amazing waiter with a 'can-do' attitude who worked really hard and has an excellent rapour with everyone but made a special effort for my little girl. He will be really missed by us. - Excellente!

Oriola Grill: Elias who went above and beyond for us and who made us so welcome. My daughter loved him so much (she's 7 and wants to marry him!) - Excellente! Also want to mention alleandro & roberto.

Aerobics: I'm sorry I can't remember her name but we shared a joke each day - she knows who she is (me gustaría una copa de Rose por favor) - Excellente!

ROOM:
We stayed in 1421-2 and had a wonderful view over the winding pool. However, on arrival we found that we only had 2x 4' beds. On the internet the pictures look like the 'double deluxe' room has 2x 4'6 beds (or bigger) but they are effectively like a uk single at just 4'. As we were staying for our 2nd honeymoon / 25 year wedding anniversary we certainly didn't expect to be in separate beds and I had to share with my little 7 year old girl as there was no hope of us both getting into a tiny 4' space together after being used to a king-size bed at home! We did complain about this but were told they couldn't give us a bigger bed as they only had 3 king-size beds in the hotel! They did push the beds together though and eventually (on week 3!) give us a small single bed for my daughter which meant we were closer together but still in separate beds.

ROOM MAIDS:
The maids do an excellente job at looking after you room, tidying, cleaning etc.

Before arriving on resort we read some reviews about people having stuff taken but to be honest we didn't really believe it was true so kind of dismissed it and booked anyway. However, on 2 occasions we returned to our room to find out safe open (they are the kind that once opened with a skeleton key/computer) they cannot be closed again without the users pin code). Luckily, we NEVER keep any money of anything of real value in our safe so nothing was taken but the fact that it had been opened made me annoyed.

Another thing to be aware of is that my shampoo, conditioner & shower gels were being syphoned off! Yes, being taken by someone other than me! My husband & daughter have an allergy to the ones I used, so it definitely wasn't them and once i noticed it I started marking the bottles before leaving each day and sure enough they were going down very rapidly even when I hadn't washed my hair that day etc. After 4 times I started to keep them in the safe!

RESTAURANTS:
Flavours - Excellent for breakfast but would avoid like the plague for lunch or dinner! We ate in there 3 times for lunch and dinner and every time I was ill afterwards. The food is NEVER hot / Hot enough and in my opinion this is what is causing it. We weren't the only ones to experience this either, many of our new found friends also got ill after eating in there and pretty much everyone commented on the fact that the food was not hot enough. Also, to mention the breads in the morning are covered in fruit flies - tap the bagels and watch them all fly around, its quite comical!

Oriola Grill - Excellente on every level. The food is cooked freshly and is always hot. The staff are all lovely and we never had a bad meal in there it was all good, good, good.

Sea Olive - Very good but lacks choice. On a negative though, we asked the waiter for a sprite with 'no ice' and he arrived with one containing ice! We asked for another one and he bought the same one back still with ice in it. This happened 3 times and eventually we asked for a fanta as I started wondering what he actually took the ice out with! However, very annoying since the fault was his and he should have given us a fresh one not just taken the ice out!! There are also a couple of really nice waiters in here too but I cant remember they're names - sorry!

Italian - In my opinion not very good and definitely not what I would call Italian food. They really need to improve this restaurant as everything seems to be caked in olive oil and left a nasty tang in your mouth!

Sushi - We ate in here 2 times. First time was great, 2nd time all 3 of us were ill so reserved judgement here although the food nonetheless tasted really good!

INFINITY POOL PAINTING WORKSHOP:
Absolutely fantastic. I loved this place to say the least and ended painting over 14 items and bringing them home as gifts. The guy who runs it is brilliant and once you have finished painting it, he puts the final touches and lines onto your piece and then fires it to a shiny glaze. Well worth doing for young, old and all those in between. Even my 7 year old daughter had a go and loved it. Great for relaxing and expressing your inner creativity. EXCELLENTE!

RESORT SHOP:
AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE COMPLETELY RIPPED OFF!!!!!!! Nothing in this shop has prices on so you don't know how much it is going to cost until you pay - BEWARE! We went in to buy 2 bags of crisps and a packet of m&m's - the total bill came to over $21!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even twig until I had handed the assistant my $22 and then suddenly realised and queried it. I was told there were no refunds so I asked her to print a receipt (they don't print them unless you ask!). I went to reception to complain. I was told the shop was not owned by Azul Fives but they do rent it to the shop owner. Given this, you would think that they would make sure that theyre guests werent being ripped off on their own property! At the very least they should make a rule of having prices on everything so that people can make their own mind up before getting to the checkout and feeling embarrassed if they decided not to buy afterall!

BELL BOY: Not sure if there is more than one but we only encountered 1 and he was excellente!

BEACH:
The beach is great, don't listen to the other older reviews. They have worked really hard to cover the rocks etc on the beach and although there are a few in the water, who cares, once you're in there your swimming anyway right so it doesn't matter. To sunbathe on the sand is fine, the sand is deep and we couldn't see any rocks out of the water.

INFINITY POOL:
Excellente on 17 of the 21 days we were there and other than the below blip was always clean and area well kept.

The only problem we had was on 3 of the days the pool pumps had stopped working and the pool was covered in flies, mosquitoes and floating sun cream sediment! Yuck! I had to report it several times to many people and was told it had already been cleaned that day. Clearly they were lying as there was stuff in the bottom that we had noticed 2 days earlier!! Why they couldn't be honest and explain it was the pumps I don't know. Sometimes honesty is the best policy.

WINDING POOL:
Excellente as are the bar staff outside villa 14 pool on both sides.

WIFI:
Wifi coverage we found excellent, if you don't mind paying $50 per week for EACH device! What a rip off. We have always stayed in five star hotels and NEVER been charged for wifi. This is outrageous.

TRIPS:
Excaret - fantastic day. The animals, aquarium and evening show is a must. Good day out. Taxi there is about $15 / 280 pesos. Beware, when you leave if you havn't booked a taxi beforehand you will be ushered into a taxi queue where you will be asked to pay Xcaret for the taxi price and given a slip to hand to the next available taxi driver. We had to pay 60 extra pesos more than we paid on the way to get home so may be worth booking it with the driver that drops you off instead? We didn't use the operator or Thomsons for this trip and did it ourselves. I worked out about $40 cheaper to buy your own lunch and drinks for 3 of us (& that included 2 glasses of wine each).

Xel-Ha - Absolutey brilliant. Loved this. The fish you see snorkelling are amazing from little nemos to parrotfish and even rays! Don't recommmend the lazy river with the rings though as they hardly move at all and you had to pull yourself along with the tree branches or paddle with hands which made hard work! Once you're in the rings - you cant get out, its just too hard! Wish we had snorkelled instead. We booked this trip with Lomas travel as the taxi there alone would have been $40 each way! They were cheaper and rather than go on a big coach they took us in a mini bus which meant no waiting around for pick ups/drop offs, great day. Highly recommend.

PLAYA DEL CARMEN - 5th Avenue
Great but book a day to do as its miles long and if you like to browze and you want lunch too it will take you that long to get to one end and back again.
BEWARE: Don't fall (as we did) for the line 'Sinore, how are you, im from you hotel, do you remember me? line!!!!! They all use it to lure you into a false sense trust and loyalty so you spend your money with them!
PRICES: Barter - don't pay anymore than between 1/3rd and 1/2 of their starting price. Most items I bartered down to 1/3rd of the their starting price. Its good fun too.

GROUNDS:
The staff work very hard all the time to keep the grounds looking amazing. We never saw anyone sitting around they were always working hard cutting tree branches, grass cutting, planting, cleaning, painting etc.

OVERALL:

All in all, we had an excellente time. The staff really were the making of our holiday though and without them, their friendlyness and the friendships we formed whilst there it wouldn't have been as enjoyable.

Taking the excellente with the minor downfalls I would love to go back to this resort, once they upgrade their beds to a proper 4'6" double at the very least, as we couldn't justify the thousands of pounds extra it would have cost to upgrade to a suite. In my book a double should be just that a double and fit 2 adults in, not one adult and 1 child.

To all those people (mentioned above) along with our new Canadian and American friends who made our holiday special and gave us such a laugh, thank you. We had an excellente time. x

PS If I missed anyone out, i'm sorry, names are not my forte although i will remember all your faces!

Room Tip: We stayed in village 14 which was perfectly positioned for access in both directions to flavours res...
6 Thank JEANETTE A
Thank you for the detailed review of your stay , I found your feedback a great read and very interesting.
your comments will be shared with our staff and the efforts of the mentioned employees will not go unrecognised, they will be awarded accordingly.

I have taken all your comments onboard and your feedback will be used constructivey to make improvements and maintain our high standards.

we would like you to know that our beds within the deluxe rooms are full size beds, measuring 4'6'' wide , i'm sorry if your felt that the beds were inadequate. Guaranteed Kingsize beds are found in our one bedroom suites as well as other additional features such as a large living area , kitchen and Jacuzzi .

again I truly appreciate your comments and it was an honor to be entrusted with your mexican holiday

Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We had an absolutely wonderful stay at the Azul Fives in Playa del Carmen thanks to the exemplary service of Brenda and Isabel from the concierge. We truly appreciate their kindness towards my family and special needs son. They planned a wonderful surprise in honor of his birthday to which he was very happy indeed. They also planned a much needed spa day for me, his mother. At every turn we were greeted with warmth and cheerful smiles. They helped me improve my Spanish and even gave me a dictionary. Brenda and Isabel are to be commended for their outstanding love and compassion to the tourist in making our stay one of the most memorable. We will definitely be returning in the near future! Hope you will too. Just stop in and visit them at the concierge desk in the hotel main lobby. Muchias gracias Brenda y Isabela por todo su ayuda! Sinceramente, the Ginleys

3 Thank wjag2014
Thank you for your wonderful review , I 'm very happy to hear that Brenda and Isabel provided you wit a superior level of service that enhanced your vacation, allowing you to relaxing and enjoy our wondeful resort.

your praise will not go unnoticed and I will ensure they are rewarded accordinly.

Many Thanks and I hope we will see you again at the Azul Fives Hotel

Mahekal Beach Resort
Mahekal Beach Resort
#28 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
The Royal Haciendas All Suites R...
#49 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!