“Perfect for a young family”

Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Ranked #56 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boisbriand, Canada
“Perfect for a young family”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Despite the heat and the sun was not at the rendezvous , we enjoyed our week of 3 to 10 January 2014 . After the first night we asked to be changed to be on the inside of the site. A special thanks to Filiberto Chan, he organise us with such kindness and compassion ! We were also very touched by the human side of people who work there . As the gardener, housekeeper or the Belboys , who greeted us were done with their best smile ! If I may make a constructive comment , for lunch , we really enjoyed having the option of a buffet , It is more faster than a dining "a la carte" with young children and warmer in cold weather as we had. In closing , we wish to inform you that if we all enjoyed our stay at Azul Fives despite the lack of good weather, it was thanks to Sergio Gutierrez , an extraordinary young man, "our sunshine" who knew us enjoyed the 5 stars+ service restaurant Flavours ! Here !

Room Tip: For families with young children, the deluxe suite with roof terrace is not necessarily a good choic...

1 Thank Guylaine C
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you , your review is very heartfelt and I truly appreciate your comment . your comments will be shared with our staff and especially with those mentioned who , with their efforts, enhanced your vacation experience with us.

thank you again for your kind words.

Best
gm@azulfiveshotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,795)
  • Polish first
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The property is beautiful, the staff friendly, helpful, available, and food very good to excellent with lots of options. However the room decor (lots of black on closet wall and in bathroom) and dim lighting make it difficult to apply makeup, shave, etc. I needed a flashlight to find things on the black shelves and in closet which are also very tall--made for 6 footers not 5'2"!!

1 Thank coveyh
Thank you for your review , I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Azul Fives Hotel and I would like you to know that I have taken on board your comments concerning the lighting in our rooms

Wainfleet, Canada
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I recently visited this resort with a friend and we felt welcome the minute we got in the shuttle from the airport. All the staff, from bellboys to concierge & entertainment staff were amazing. Our names were always remembered, as well as the little details that we discussed with different employees. The grounds were tidy & well kept. The pools were clean, the beach was one of the most beautiful I've been to. We had the pleasure of eating at the Italian & Japanese restaurants and they both offered a great selection and were very tasty. The entertainment staff did a great job of getting us involved in activities & the 2 shows we saw were the best I've experienced. There were a lot of families there and we mingled with quite a few of them. I would highly recommend this resort if you're looking to relax & unwind. Whether with a group, a family or a couple. Not a good place if you want a party atmosphere all the time but if you're with a group, you're sure to enjoy it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

3 Thank Ann M
Many Thanks for your wonderful review , it was a pleasure to host your holiday and I hope that you will return to enjoy yet another great vacation experience at the Azul Fives Hotel

Pleasant Ridge, Michigan
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife, 5 yo son and I went down for a week at the beginning of January 2014. We found the property to be as advertised and quite nice.

We decided on PdC since this is my son's first international trip, and thought this would be a decent city to try. We chose Azul Fives because it offered a European Plan and we are not big fans of All Inclusives. This resort is very close to downtown Playa (5 minutes by car, we had a rental). We wanted to make sure we didn't have to drive a long way to get to the city. We did eat at the resort 3 times and found the food to be mediocre, but satisfying. The service was a bit iffy though. One day while we were at the beach, one of the staff played with a guest's baby for 45 minutes before she took any drink orders.

We booked a one-bedroon suite and were happy with it. The room was huge. Full kitchen, dining area, master suite and a small powder room. More than I expected and I was pleasantly surprised.

The grounds were kept up very well, there was no litter or mess anywhere. Everything was top-notch. The beach area was well tended and beautiful. The sand was soft white and immaculate. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas. No complaints here.

The spa was pretty good, I don't have much experience with them but I was happy with my experience. Nice massage and nice facilities. My only issue was the hot water heater was broken, so when I jumped into the hot tub, I had quite a shock. Once I removed myself from the ceiling though everything was better.

All in all, if I were to go back to this area, I would seriously consider staying here again.

2 Thank Berkut
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for a great review , I enjoyed reading your comments and appreciate your feedback
It was a pleasure to host your holiday and we hope that you will return again in the near future

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 20, 2014

EMERGENCY!
This is where you want to be if the unexpected happens. Third morning of our arrival my husband experienced a medical emergency. Within minutes 3 security, Manager, Walter Cordova, and Isabel, Concierge attended. They handled everything! Isabel’s compassion, and kindness exceed any job description. Walter, efficiently and calmly assured us that “we would never be alone”. How true! Full services of the resort were offered and gratefully used. Staff: courteous, happy, helpful. Pool – pristine and beautiful as it wound through the residences. The food: Wonderful (particularly the Italian)! Our rating: 5 Star Plus. Add another Plus for Isabel and Walter. It was like having best friends stand with you at a time of crisis. Thank you.

Room Tip: Suite: 1 bdrm 4th bldg corner suite - Outstanding! Private, quiet, and spotless.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Barbara C
Thank you Barbara , we truly appreciate your kind words and best wishes to your husband, we hope he is back to full health very soon.

It is never nice to experience a medical emergency especially when away from home , it was a pleasure to assist and support you and we hope , that on your next visit, you can relax and enjoy yourselves, with no medical emergency.

Your Praise for Isabel and Walter has not gone unnoticed and they will be rewarded for their efforts.

Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

This was my 13th all inclusive so I have travelled a lot. I have never seen so many babies, I would say 80% are families with small children. This resort are owners condos, u get a king bed if u pay for one bedroom suite, the second and third bedroom (are advertised as luxury room) they are two double bed rooms.
The food was ok but the selection wasn't there.
No buffet for lunch, 2 a la carte only and found it took to long.
The grounds are beautiful and very clean. The staff is very friendly.
Wifi is available throughout resort but at a cost, I never had to pay for internet before.
Overall it is good value for money and is great choice if travelling as a family, if travelling as a couple go somewhere else.

Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Anne L
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experiences , I truly appreciate the feedback received from all our guests. The Azul Fives Hotel is a family resort that appeals to many travelers , whether traveling as a couple or as a family with young children or teens.

I will definitely use your feedback constructively as we continuously strive to improve and perfect our vacation experience that we provide.

It was a pleasure to host your holidays

Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Where to begin. No atmosphere...Nill. All bars close at 5pm ...then your only place to go of an evening is an inside bar. Didn't come here to sit inside. All we witnessed in there was people just sitting staring at the tv...boring....your only other choice is to go back to your room.Taxi into playa del carmen $16 each way...worth it to find some action and actually feel like your in mexico. Didn't come to an all inclusive to pay to go find an atmosphere though. Buffet is awful with very little choice with the exception of breakfast. The beach is tiny.
Beach chairs are roped off so you are confined to one area. Soooo many kids....stroller parking lot in every restaurant. This place doesn't feel like a resort. More of a condo feel. Very small...nowhere to go . We are in our mid 50's not kids looking for a wild time just a good time. I must say that the staff are very good . The concierge have been very helpful. Room.....very musty.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Francetravel2014
Thank you for your recent review however it is truly very disappointing to hear that you found your vacation to be less entertaining that first thought. Our swim up bars close early evening as the daylight fades and as our zky bar and terrace opens , which stays open until 1.00am. This bar is located on the second floor and has a spectacular terrace that overlooks the ocean , with the lights of cozumel in the distance. This is a popular night spot for many.

January is a very popular month where we find a high number of both couples and also families with young take the opportunity to travel and enjoy our warmer temperatures.

I appreciate your feedback and I will carefully consider all comments mentioned

Best regards

#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!