“Above and Beyond” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #52 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario, Canada
“Above and Beyond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is the first time I have decided to write a review and I am most pleased to say that this trip was simply amazing and everyone at this resort went above and beyond to make this stay special. Our son and his fiance were married there on July 23rd. We were a family of 20 attending the wedding and enjoying a week of vacation at this beautiful resort. I have to admit when we first turned off the main roadway to enter the resort, we were a bit worried as it didn't have the same grand entrance that alot of the larger resorts have. But the minute we stepped off that bus we were greeted and treated like we were "somebody"!! The people that checked us in, were fast, efficent and friendly. Our bellhop, Henry was the best - we needed him on a couple of occasions and he was there to the rescue - thanks Henry!! Our first dining experience we met Alexandrjo (sorry if I spelled that wrong) and he was great, we met up with him in a couple of the restaurants and he never failed to say hello even if he wasn't our waiter!
Restaurants were great and the food excellent. The people on the day of our son's wedding were so accommodating, everything went as planned. I am so sorry I didn't write down all the names of the people that served us and greeted us in the restaurants, at the beach, at the swim up bars, but to each and everyone of you - our heartfelt thanks - you are the people that made this vacation so special. Our rooms were nice and there never was any issues. Our Spa experience was great as well.

The only recommendatin I would like to make is that I think this resort needs a nice quiet bar or a place where people can meet and socialize. I found that there was no where to go after dinner or before dinner to just enjoy a drink and sit around with our family and friends.

Thanks again to each and everyone of the staff at Azul Fives - we hope to be back!!

Jack and Linda - Ontario, Canada

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Linda F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,651)
  • Polish first
Central Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We've done timeshare exchanges for about 20 years, and last year for the first time we decided to try an all-inclusive when it popped up in Cancun. Wow, did we love it!
First, we had complementary transfer from the Cancun airport, and they were actually waiting for us when we arrived, tired and late from a grueling customs experience. Next, a personal concierge was waiting for us, even though we arrived about 2 hours later after her shift was supposed to be over, and she gave us a complete rundown on what to expect during our week. She offered the expected "45 minute presentation" and took of 50% of our all-inclusive bill for signing up. Easy decision!
Our week was luxurious - free drinks whenever we looked like we wanted something (Sangre de Maria is how you say it in Spanish!); the food was amazing and the service even better! When I asked, since the Mexican-themed restaurant wasn't open for breakfast, "how am I going to get my chilaquiles?", I was told not to worry, and the next morning there they were at the buffet, custom made just for me.
The staff was uniformly friendly and accommodating: several times we got into personal conversations with servers, grounds people, etc who took whatever time we wanted to talk with us!
We loved it so much that we traded our 20-year timeshare for 150 weeks with them, and now we're going back (to a different member of the chain) next week!
Prepare for pampering!

Room Tip: Everything is conveniently located so I don't see any difference from one building to another. W...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tobocrs
Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Family trip, very relaxing. If you want to go out, the city is very far.
Staff is great. Building very clean.
Food just good, not excelent.
Beach rocky.
In general we had wonderful time. We were looking for relaxing time and we got it. Great place, the staff is very well trained and they seem very happy working there. They do their best to accomodate your requests. It is a Mexican skill: give the best service.
Best chocolate shakes by Jake. SPA ask for Katia and Olivia. Front desk, super people: Vanessa, Ivan and Roberto.
It was my daughter birthday and the staff created the best day for her.
Thank you. Hope to see you again.

Room Tip: Villa 203-2, great if you want to spend time in quiet pool away from noice.
2 Thank SBH2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

We arrived at Azul Fives after a long flight to be greeted by a warm welcome from various staff. After a cold flannel and a glass of champagne the bell boy swiftly took us to our room in Villa 1 which was a short walk from main reception. Our room was very spacious with a king size bed, lots of wardrobe space, a free safety deposit box and a balcony. The only down side to our room was the view from the balcony as it looked straight at a large brick wall (114-2) so avoid this room if you want a nice view. Everything else was good for us as we don't mind walking so this was ideal as it was a 5 minute walk to the beach and bars etc. Our cleaner Maria was hardworking, trustworthy and replaced bed sheets and towels daily. Also in the room was a mini bar which was also filled to please. We spent most of our days around the infinity pool which was fairly lively with various activities happening throughout the day organised by an extremely hardworking entertainment team. Activities included football , beach volley ball, pool volley ball, water aerobics, yoga, bingo and more which were all fun and met the needs of all ages and abilities the main aspect being fun! If you would like a bit more peace and quiet you can always lounge about on the lazy river where there is more choice of sun loungers and easier access to the bar. The infinity pool is always busy from 8am onwards or maybe I should rephrase that and say all the beds are taken by 8am with towels but actually no one is present! (A little grumble) During the day we ate at Flavours for breakfast which did meet our needs with a large variety of both hot and cold foods. The staff were always pleasant and offered drink after drink as "its my pleasure" they would reply. For lunch we tried the Oriola beach grill. & sea olive Mediterranean where the food was nice but not a great selection mainly wraps, burgers and salads and for evening dinner we tried Arezzo,Italian cuisine and Tsuki, pacific rim which are lovely welcoming environments with kind , helpful staff. The food at both was excellent. Flavours is also open for evening dinner if you would like to help yourself to world cuisine in a more of an informal dinning experience but plenty to choose from.We was fortunate to be situated close to the Health bar (Cafe) where you could get healthy smoothies, milkshakes and more throughout the day. My girlfriend had a Spa experience including a full body massage and use of all the facilities which she thoroughly enjoyed and was gone for 3 hours! We received discount in the spa and also other complimentary services which I urge you to use your vouchers in the welcome pack. As far as night life and atmosphere at night this was my only major criticism as there just wasn't an "holiday atmosphere" at all and most nights we the bars were empty from 11pm. Zky bar has a lovely sea view and is a nice place to relax on the balcony and have a drink and entertainment was available from 9.30-10.30pm which in all honesty the shows we saw was good Michael Jackson show and acrobat show. There was also a fire show on the beach and live music one night a week but by 10.30pm it was bed time for most. The grounds at Azul Fives are immaculate with staff constantly cleaning, tidying, washing and pruning. Every member of staff will say "Hola" every time they see you and usually if you say thank you they reply "it's my pleasure" they are so grateful for your custom and TIPS. We are not heavy drinkers but you could get branded spirits and lager/beers from every bar on the resort. We went to playa del carmen one night which was a 10 min taxi drive costing 160 pesos (£8-£10) it was lively, lots of bars, shops and restaurants if you fancied a change but beware you will be hassled to have a look in their shops.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would recommend this resort but not for young couples as you may get itchy feet! (Unless you fancy being lazy n chilling like us)

45min from Cancun airport
1hr to Cancun centre

3 Thank Jas1889
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I never wrote a review before, and I have to say the resort is beautiful all if the negative reviews a from very very picky people who don't know what they r talking about we have been to Mexico 6 times this being the 6th and we are exotic (prestige members) for 3 years. We stayed at senatori 2 times Nd decide to try a diffrent resort so far everything is one hundred percent from our arrival to the butler service from Luca, he is amazing with the way he attends to his guest. As for the food the restaurants are very good, service at azzero is wonderful the waiter went above and beyond to get my husband an espresso that he wanted.

We are traveling with our daughter and niece both are very happy with the accommodation.

The beach is beautiful but alittle small.

We are only here 3 days and so far we have nothing to complain about.

I will definitely recommend the resort.

2 Thank j t
Macomb, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We did not choose this resort, as we were traveling for a destination wedding and the bride and groom had everyone stay here. I was not overly impressed. The reception area is very small. The rooms are good size, but the lighting is HORRIBLE, especially for a woman trying to apply makeup. Our room had no clock, no full length mirror, we had tiny ants crawling around, you have to ask for ice, our balcony was surrounded by trees. The doors are very LOUD, and two rooms share a door to the outside, then a little area inside of that where your room doors are. I didn't find anything special about the food - at the buffet there were always fruit flies around the fruit, and service at other restaurants was SLOW, even if there were only 5 tables of people, and one time we just ordered dessert and it took forever - my ice cream was half melted when they brought it to my table. They are not quick about coming around for drinks while on the beach or around the pool. There is quite a bit of walking to get around this resort, and the infinity pool and beach are a little walk from the main part of the resort. The beachfront is not a very large area, and there are lots of rocks in the water. When they cleaned our room, they didn't replace our washcloths or hand towels that we had left on the floor. There are no towel bars to hang towels on to let them dry. Generally the staff was very friendly, but when I went to reception to arrange our ride back to the airport, I was not treated with a whole lot of courtesy. The price wasn't bad for an all inclusive, but I was expecting more. Also, our group had 16 or 17 rooms, and we were spread out all over the resort, even though we booked through the same agent. When we were supposed to have a "private" cocktail reception at the outdoor rooftop bar, they didn't even section off a part for our group. Not a horrible experience, but not a lavish gourmet resort in my opinion.

1 Thank M R
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
As General Manager of the Azul Fives Hotel , I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and share your experiences.

I appreciate your comments and I would like you to know I am working on many of the points mentioned with my management team. we have future projects to improve the lobby area and also the lighting within the bathroom area in the rooms. In addition we will be adding additional fixtures such as hooks and towel rails for our guets convenience.

With regards to the beach , the restoration of the beach is now complete . we have a beautiful new entrance in to the water that is powdery soft . off the shore line there are parts of the beach that has coral on the ocean bed ; this provide some great snorkeling options but can make it slightly rocky under foot.

I do apologize for the inconsistencies experienced with the service received in our restaurants. I have addressed this with our Food and Beverage Managers and shared your feedback with the supervisory staff of each restaurant. Improvements will be made and we will ensure a superior level of service throughout all our restauarants.

again , I truly appreciate your comments and hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to host your holiday in the future.

Best Regards

Mario mathieu
General Manager - Azul Fives Hotel
gm@azulfiveshotel.com
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We were greeted by an extremely pleasant staff with cool towels and champagne. The lobby did not have the wow factor I was looking for. The property is gorgeous and well maintained. We stayed in a one bedroom suite with our 19 and 16 year old and found that privacy was an issue. The suite was beautifully decorated and very clean but I felt it was a condo/time share hotel and not a resort. The infinity pool was gorgeous, the beach beautiful but found it very crowded. I had heard nothing but fantastic things about the food but for us it was average. Karisma went out of their way to make sure we were happy and moved us over to Sensatori which for us is a better fit for what we wanted. Azul Fives is beautiful and the staff is amazing, Ana couldn't do enough to make us happy, it just wasn't what we were looking for.

3 Thank Lisagg24
Thank you for your thoughts and comments concerning the Azul Fives Hotel. Even though our resort does appeal to a wide variety of lifestyles, we are very sorry that the Azul Fives Hotel was not the right fit for your and your family nevetheless we are happy that you found our sister resort, the Azul Sensatori was more suited to your holiday needs.

Best Regards

Fairmont Mayakoba
#7 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,475 reviews
The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
The Royal Haciendas All Suites R...
#43 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#6 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,975 reviews

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!