“Beautiful Resort - for low key relaxation” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Ranked #52 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Minnetrista, MN
“Beautiful Resort - for low key relaxation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

We just got back yesterday from the Azul Fives. The resort itself was gorgeous and the grounds were well kept. The staff was also beyond wonderful. Our pool butler Isreal was "the man"! He and the bartenders at the pool bar were a great part of our vacation. The upsides were the service and the food on the resort was very good. Our only complaint was the vodka choice, no Grey Goose. The resort would be great if you had infants due to all the Fisher Price ties and high chairs supplied by them, etc. It is a very quiet place.

Room Tip: Buildings 4 and 5 where pretty centrally located. There are a couple pools right outside with swim...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Steph M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,658)
  • Polish first
Colorado Springs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

My wife and I just returned and thought I'd give another unbiased review along with some info that may make another person's vacation better. We upgraded to a 1 Bedroom Suite so that I could ensure getting a king size bed due to my height. I read that most deluxe rooms were double beds so knew not to book that one.

My tips are to read quite a few reviews before going and to read the Fact Sheet and website. Many of the complaints are spelled out clearly before you even book - if you want a view(pool or ocean), you'd better pony up the extra because that's why those rooms are listed separately and charged more. Our room, 314-1, did NOT have a good view - sidewalk and treed area but 2 monkeys used the treed area which was cool. But, we didn't spend much time in the room or on the terrace so no big deal to us. The beach is nice but there are rocks in the area going into the ocean(clearly mentioned numerous times). Honestly a 5 minute walk North to a nice swimming area!

If you're not in shape to even walk a block or two at the most, stay at home and have another Big Mac! Some of these comments make it seem like miles of walking and it's not. There are quite a few overweight travelers these days and accommodating to their lack of exercise and immobility is ridiculous. If you still want to go, ask to have a room close to the restaurants(4 of the 5 are in one building). You'll be close to the beach, big pool and FOOD! BUT WAIT - the buffet restaurant is in the FRONT of the complex so now you're in a pickle aren't you? Buy the Gourmet Inclusive package and you can eat all you want in each restaurant.

I was asked ONCE to bring my wife in to talk about a discount on a spa treatment and I politely declined. Nothing else was said by the concierge and I, unfortunately, had to talk with them a couple of times.

The food was above quality for all inclusive resorts that I have been to in the past. While it wasn't Michelin star rated, it was very good. If I got something I didn't like, I moved on to something else. The pizzas we had via room service and the pool side grill weren't that great but we were in Mexico not Italy so acceptable.

Alcoholic beverages were also above average. Hornitos or Don Regio tequila, Crown Royal, Tanqueray. Was a little disappointed they had a bottle of Ketel One vodka in the Flavours restaurant all lit up but it was just for show - had Stoli, Absolute and Svedka. They will mix your drinks with any you want. I always ordered margarita with Hornitos and never disappointed.

We did have a couple of setbacks that some would have made the rating a 1 or 2. The lock into our room didn't work upon returning one night after dinner. I had to walk to the concierge and have them call someone - and they arrived VERY quickly. The lock broke again the next day and I asked to be moved if it wasn't fixed. They fixed it this time and worked the next 2 days. One night I noticed some really small ants on the kitchen floor munching on crumbs. Put on my sandals - SQUISH! Problem solved. Informed the concierge and they offered to spray but we asked to wait until we had left.

The spa prices are pretty expensive. If you don't want the "experience" of water treatments, jacuzzi, etc...just walk North on the beach like 2 resorts and they offer an hour massage for $25 USD - a 50 minute massage in Vessa is $117 plus any fees.

It's vacation. Go prepared - the internet is a great tool - and tell yourself it's going to be fun no matter what.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a view if that's important to having a fun vacation.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank rbincos
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We travelled during March Break March 6th-13th with our 2 children and 2 other couples with their families. We all had a super fantastic time. Not one single person in our group including the children had any negative comments/feedback. The resort is absolutely breath taking. The staff is extremely friendly and attentive. Thank you to Araceli, Luis, Edgar, Carolina, Eduardo, Milton, Elide, and the other Luis (beach butler)for adding to our experience and making our trip to the Azul Fives that much more pleasurable. The food was simply delicious...presentation, taste & restaurant ambience was exquisite... I highly recommend the gourmet all inclusive package. The hotel rooms were spacious, clean and stunning, grounds were clean and maintained daily. The hotel is simply luxurious. I’ve never been to an all inclusive resort that offers an al la carte lunch option, 24 hour room service included in your all inclusive package and your hotel room refrigerator stocked daily with beverages & snacks. We all look forward to going back next year and highly recommend the Azul Fives.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rose D
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

This is the first night of the week we are staying here, we toured the grounds and ate at the olive sea Resturant. This place is big and beautiful, the food was great! My wife had a flank steak and I had the salmon. The rooms are basic, nothing special, but clean and comfortable. BEWARE of the concierge... You need them to book you Resturant choices, but they try to pressure you to go to there presentation about there time shares. They keep saying 5 minutes, but after we asked more questions, we found out its more the 90 minutes! There's no way I'm sitting in a room for an hour and a half, while they are trying to pressure sell me anything! For a free meal? All the meals are free? In the afternoon we went down to the beach and walked for awhile, all of a sudden about 7 police officers ran by us and the was a scuttle up ahead! They circled "whoever" was up ahead and we decided not to go any further... On our way back there was a full swat team in camo driving down to the beach with full assault guns in hand and then running down to whatever happened! Way cool! Wish I knew what happened?

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Azul Fives is a lovely resort with friendly staff,and delicious meals. It is likely the cleanest resort we've ever stayed at with nary a stray leaf on the grounds. It is a nice size compared with other very large resorts out there but ask for a room closer to the beach if that's where you will spend most of your time. Otherwise it's a bit of a hike. Loved seeing the monkeys, iguanas and pacas. Everything else that others have said is true-the pull-outs need foam, we were also the victim of overbooking but got free wi-fi as a result (although I think their wi-fi prices are ridiculous to begin with), and the beach is rocky. Use the meandering pools rather than the infinity pool if you want peace and quiet-the main pool is rather crowded and all the activities happen there. The Italian restaurant was amazing and the decor was lovely, including a view as far as Cozumel. The biggest issue we had was the Personal Concierge service which we felt we had to use but discovered that it was just a clever ruse to get us to listen to their Loyalty Presentation. We had 4 separate PCs ask us if we had been yet ( lots of incentives if you go- spa certificates, dinner on the beach,etc.). When we finally told them we weren't interested in taking an hour out of our hard-earned vacation to listen to a promo that we would never participate in, one PC begged us so she could get her "points.". Clue in, Azul Fives management- this was too pushy. So get your towels at the beach and book your spa appointment at the Spa, but unless you want to join the program, avoid the PC. We really enjoyed the gym and the smoothie bar and all the staff are well-trained. Just make sure you get a good overview of the resort when you check in. It took us longer to orient to the rules of this resort than others we have been to - dress code, restaurant reservations, maps, etc. And don't take your valuables to the beach. I came home without my iPhone.

Stayed April 2013
5 Thank Ocean-Lover P
Fort St. John, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is our third trip to the Mayan Riviera and first to Azul Fives travelling with our two kids (now 12 and 14) and another couple that have three kids. One of the main reasons that we picked Azul Fives is that you can have more than a four person family in one room for our friends. I will start from the beginning:
The drive in is not very impressive as you have to go through some residential area and the road is horrible with speed bumps. The lobby is very small and without a bar but that is where all of any negativity stops. We were greeted with a professional valet, glass of blue champagne and a very speedy check in. Golf cart ride to our suite was with a small tour describing the amenities of the resort.
Room: We were in a one bedroom suite and it was huge and full of everything we needed including 1.5 baths. Fridge was stocked with beer, pop, snacks and all the water bottles you need. The furnishing was modern, kitchen had an Island and a large dining table which was only used for spreading out our things and when the kids ordered room service (which they love).

Pools: Two large pools that wind through the condo complex with ample seating every day. The infinity pool is more busy and harder to get seating but if you wanted to be down in the daily action, there was always chairs available on the beach. we went down many of the days and played water polo.

Restaurants: The Buffet was very good for breakfast and we had suppers there a couple of times as well with good selection for all five kids (12-17). All of the restaraunts were good with no real favourite but I personally loved the selection of Sushi that was available for an all inclusive. What we like is there was a few options for lunches so our kids could help themselves while we sat by the pool.

Bars: This place is not for anybody who wants to drink their face off and party as only the Sky bar is open past midnight. This is not to say that they don't make excellent drinks all day long, because they do! we spent a big part of our time at the pool next to the swim up attached to the Lizards snack place and received outstanding waiter and bartender service. By day two they were calling me Mr. Joe. Special thanks for the Golden Margarita's to Santiago! Others that our group got to know and thought were amazing include (but not limited to) Elvin, Abraham, Karena, Arleth and Cesar (at the Infinity bar)! They made the trip more relaxing and enjoyable.

Grounds: The resort is small in the number of suites but huge in area they have left for gardens and grass. There was not a time that you would look up and not see a staff member cleaning the pool, sweeping the sidewalk, washing the chairs or cutting the grass.The place was immaculate all the time. All were friendly and curteous. we always like to try different resorts but may actually return to this one instead next year.
Overall I would and have recommended this facilty to anyone asking.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank 63JoeS63
Wyckoff, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

My daughter, 14 year old twins, and I decided to take a last minute trip over their Spring break. My travel agent, (great by the way) booked us a one bedroom suite here and we are having a ball of fun. I am not an easy sell either. I always go into a vacation with an open mind but usually come out being semi disappointed. For example, our trip to Beaches Turks and Cacos drove me nuts when I had to fight for a beach or pool chair. I am NOT on vacation to do that. I can stay at home and watch my kids fight over things. Anyway back to Azul. We love people and their are just enough here to make it fun. We can get a game of beach volleyball going without fighting for a ball or waiting 24 hours for a reservation. There are enough pools so that we can take our pick and the endless pool on the beach has enough room AND CHAIRS for all of us. The one bedroom suite we are in overlooks the smaller pool. We chose the "all inclusive" which I HIGHLY recommend. The front desk even had a sense of humor. The guy told us to call room service 24/7 because his good friend was on duty that night. My girls have taken full advantage of that :) We went to the chocolate buffet last night and tried the chocolate soup. Not bad. The food here has been top notch. I will add again that I am from the NYC area so I know top notch.
I have not met one person who works here who has been rude. They are genuinely nice friendly polite people and in return so are all the guests I have met . The grounds are well kept and very clean.
I am training right now for Ironman Fl. so if you are an athlete, the pool is a dream. It just goes on and on in a full circle. I'm afraid to go ocean swimming in the morning alone so the pool has been a godsend. Also there are plenty of running areas and the gym is small but has everything you need except maybe a stationary bike but I can live without that because in this beautiful setting, I want to be outside anyway!! I ran along the beach yesterday which was beautiful!!
There are only two reasons I am giving my review four stars and not five and they are pretty stupid. The first is that the pull out bed that I switched to last night so my girls could share the comfy king bed is not comfortable. I really haven't slept on one that is though. The second reason is that I had to get up in the middle of the night to wrap a towel around the kitchen chandler because the air conditioner was turning it into a wind chime:) That was driving me NUTS. Thats it. Oh and I couldn't find an ice machine. Stupid little things so you know the rest must be good :) I also want my son and husband here but can't blame that on Azul, can I? LOL

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor that walks out onto the quite pool. It's like having your own...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fairmont Mayakoba
#7 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,480 reviews
The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
The Royal Haciendas All Suites R...
#43 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#6 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,985 reviews

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!