“Wow, what a blast” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #52 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Hamilton, Canada
“Wow, what a blast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is our third vacation to Mexico and this time around, it was quite special. Our day started out quite early and then arrival in Cancun at approximately 1330 hrs. Our bus ride to the hotel was somewhat tedious as there were a number of stops along the way. We noted there to be a sign alerting us to the Azul Fives resort. The driver turned onto this road that looked somewhat seedy. I looked at my wife in disbelief, wondering where we were going as some of the pot holes were large. Anyhow, we persevered and continued to the Azul Fives Hotel.
Our check in was excellent and we were directed to our 1 bedroom suite without difficulty. We were promptly taxied there. Upon entering this room, we were quite impressed as it was spacious and clean. We all agreed that it would be difficult to now go to a standard room at any resort.
Our first night was mostly focused on navagiating around the resort which is not difficult as it is not large by any stretch of the immagination. Everything was easily accessible. Dinner the first night was at Flavors and the food was quite good with no complaints. The second day started with delightful breakfast at the same restuarant as our two boys enjoyed the treats that were provided. During the course of our stay we were able to meet our favourite waiter, Antonio. He was by far the most pleasant and caring. We rather enjoyed him and thus sought him out every morning. He is a very hard worker and the resort is lucky to have him thus we hope to see him in the years to come.
The beach was quite nice although it was somewhat rocky but we expected that due to the reviews we read. The bar at the beach was well run with no problems getting the drink we required. The waiters were fabulous. Luis in particular was quite entertaining and we enjoyed him.
We had dinner mostly at Flavors and one night at the Italian restuarant which we needed to book early in the week. Although the ambiance was quite nice, we did not enjoy this. Our 11 year old son ordered a cheese pizza and what came was White Cheese on a flat piece of pizza dough that was baked. Needless to say he ate my steak. Regardless of this, we found that it might not be the best place for youngsters. We went to the Flavors and were able to fill our stomachs.
The kids and teen clubs seem to be very well organized (although our two, 11 and 14 chose not to partake). We noted that the staff were engaging of the children and had multiple activities for them. Our kids did engage in some of the beach activities and had a blast. Would recommend these clubs to families.
The towel service was terrific. Book your spot on the beach and the pool areas early in the morning. Enjoy the resort. If you have never been, book a day trip to Xel Ha. It is expensive but worth the money. All drinks and food is included in the cost. Our boys had a blast and so did my wife and I. Enjoy! :-)

Room Tip: If possible choose a 1 bedroom suite. We hada room that was on the south side.
2 Thank Monty D
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Many thanks for your review and I'm very happy to hear that your family had a great time here at the Azul Fives Hotel.

I have read your review and will be sure to pass your comments to the staff mentioned; there is nothing more rewarding that to receive praise from our guests. In addition I have carefully considered all comments detailed in your review and canassure you that your feedback will assist us to perfect our services.

once again, many thanks for your kind words and we look forward to your next visit to the Azul Fives Hotel

Best Regards

gm@azulfiveshotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,647)
  • Polish first
Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed between March 3-10 in 1 br suite in villa 3; we had a great experience :)
My daughter has severe food allergies and on our first day we met Denis the chef, and Alberto who made extra efforts to make sure all the meals were allergen-free. We didn't even have to ask, they made special desserts for her... Many thanks to Reina & Nadia, concierges that made our stay very pleasant. The food and service were always amazing... and we have travelled to many resorts. I was impressed with the rapidity or Mario Matthieu, hotel manager that answered to an email i sent the same day, before we left for our trip!
The only suggestion would be to add more umbrellas at the infinity pool!
Kind regards to all the staff that made our holidays very pleasant! too many names to mention them all....
p.s We misse Dulce kind and welcoming smile :)

3 Thank Ginette A
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

This place was great, there is plenty of pool space, great accommodations, cleanliness and food. The service is typical mexican style.

I recommend this place with kids only. The only draw back for on this place is there was no teppanyaki restuarant; I crave that when I am at a 5 star resort. Also, the pool butler seems to "reserve" alot of the prime pool locations; nothing a little tip doesn't take care of ;)

I would go back with my kids or if I brought parents, however as just a couple or single I would try elsewhere.

Oh yeah, one last thing, the beach isn't too bad and it is a quick cab ride to Playa.

Room Tip: We had a 2 bedroom suite, which was at the pool side and beside the jungle part, great location, nic...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Early_30s_Couple_10
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Our "deluxe room" was dank and damp, The back of our wardrobe was the wall to the shower room, so clothes were a bit damp and a bit smelly. The sun never came anywhere near our room/balcony, which was covered by a massive tree which was really in our face, chose not to stay in our room much., which was room 513/2. Two separate room numbers shared an outside noisy door, which was banged on if they wanted to deliver room service to the other room or get in there. Beds were hard and noisy trying to get out in the night.
Probably better if you have children, we took the alternative beach breakfast after counting 13 buggies in the main breakfast restaurant.
Beach was great lots of atmosphere and music, with Domingo and Luis delivering the drinks of the day regularly, but they do need more shade on the beach, also around the pools.
They are trying very hard especially with the landscaping. Entertainment was good especially the Caribean Night, they need a stage for the entertainment because if you sit on the seats you cannot see what is going on on the floor with the acts and some entertainment, especially the children are too low. They need an alternative bar for evening.
Got a bit more to do at this Hotel. Staff are fantastic, trying really hard.
After visiting the El Dorado Royal last year this doesn't compare.

Room Tip: Don't get our one.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Maxine S
Thank you for sharing your holiday experiences, we truly value your comments. The Azul Fives Hotel is a family friendly hotel and focused on providing piece of mind to parents , knowing that they are in a safe environment where their children will not only be looked after , but as well somewhere that they will enjoy every minute of their stay, whether its in one of our swimming pools, the Azulitos playhouse or the beach.

Im sorry you were slightly disappointed and found that this experience did not compare to our adult only sister resort, the El Dorado Royale.

I have taken note of all your comments and will use these to ensure all guests have a superior Gourmet inclusive vacation experience.

Best Regards

New York, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

While looking for hotels to stay at in Playa Del Carmen, the Azul Five Hotel looked beautiful! We have been to Playa del Carmen several times and stayed at different resorts. Every hotel experience in Playa Del Carmen always exceeded our expectations.
I purchased a package on Expedia with airfare and 3 nights at the Azul Five hotel for a reasonable price.
We paid extra for an upgrade on a 1 bedroom suite for my husband's birthday.
After travelling all day, we arrived to the Azul Five only to be disappointed. The front desk told us that they were overbooked and did not have our one bedroom suite for us, nor did they have ANY room for us. We were in shock because we never had this experience with booking travel reservations. The night before leaving, I confirmed my reservations both with Expedia AND the Azul Five hotel concierge. The concierge even made dinner reservations for my husband's birthday that weekend.
The front desk was rather rude and passive. Simply told us that they were sorry and they could not accomodate us. Instead they booked us at another random available hotel called the Sandos hotel which ended up to be horrible. The one bedroom suite that we booked at the Azul Five had a kitchen and full living room. When we got to the Sandos, we got a "Junior Suite" which is more like a regulart basic room.
The point is that we did not get what we paid for and we were downgraded from a 5 star resort to a 3 star resort. The Azul Five did not do the right thing and their hospitality is lacking. I don't know how the Azul Five by Karisma could allow this to happen and run a business like this. We prepaid everything in full when booking this trip.
This also happened to several other guests checking in at the same time as us.
Lesson learned that we will never book anything with Azul Five or the Karisma Resort Family. We will be going back to the SECRETS RESORTS Family which is wonderful!
Azul Five - You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel. Stay at the Secrets Resort
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank W97
I'm very sorry to read your experiences , I have discussed your feedback with our customer service manager and can confirm that we have not received any direct contact about these issues, from yourself or Expedia.

I would like to urge you to contact our customer sevices department at your earliest convenience , customerservices@karismamexico.com , so that we can attend to all issues that you may have from your vacation to the Azul Fives Hotel

Many thanks and we look forward to your communication

Orlando, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

This review is very late but I wanted to pass it on! We were married on the beach in October 2012. Everything was perfect! We stayed at the resort for 7 nights and had a group of 17 that joined us for part of our stay! Everyone had a memorable trip without any complaints. However, Mexico and an all-inclusive was a first for most of our group; so nothing to compare it to! But I am confident in our review! We loved the staff; everyone was eager to please and very hard working. We tipped with all the services provided to us because of their hard work and dedication to making our stay great! We didn't care for the food in the Italian restaurant but loved the food at all the other locations and there was such a variety! Everyone used the room service with a pretty full menu 24 hours a day! Rooms were very nice, spacious and clean! Beautiful grounds!! We spent most of our time at the infinity pool and the beach! First snorkeling experience for most of us and we all fell in love with it!! Beach was rocky but great for snorkeling and once you walked out into the ocean past the reef it was perfect sand, we spent a lot of time in the beach!! Everything was wonderful and we will return!! We loved everything about it, it truly was the perfect beach wedding/honeymoon trip!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Winter S
Minnesota, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I just spent a day on a day pass at Azul Fives. My sister's family was staying there and we went to visit them. Their 2BR suite was a full HUGE 2BR condo, with a sofabed in the living room, a king in the master, and 2 standard beds in the 2nd bedroom, plus 2 1/2 baths, it was perfect for their family of 5, with two boys and one girl. everyone had their own space and own bed.

You are greeted on arrival with a cool wet towel and a glass of champagne. The breakfast buffet at Flavours was wonderful - I can't think of a thing it didn't have that I would want, and everything was very fresh. The service was very good too. There are so many pools throughout the property you can hang in a pool right outside your door, or go to one closer to the beach. We tried a quiet one outside the room and another with a swim-up bar. The bartenders are entertaining and do a good job. The entertainment staff gives options, without being pushy like they are at many resorts. My sister and niece enjoyed salsa dancing lessons by the pool, and they had beach volleyball. There were plenty of loungers for use around pools and at the beach. We had dinner at the Sea Olive and the service and food were excellent. My niece has food allergies and they were very good about taking care of her. My sister had a massage on her birthday and she raved about the spa. They have kids clubs, but my niece and nephews didn't try them. They are in different age groups and didn't want to split up. But it looked like the young kids spending time with the club were having a great time playing games on the beach when we were there.

The only complaints my sister had were problems getting the WiFi to work and very slow room service (that arrived cold). Other than that the resort is top notch, fulfilling all of their dreams, and my son and I really enjoyed our day there as well. After the evening show there really is nothing going on, so this is not a party resort or a place for night owls. It is a perfect resort for families, especially with more than 2 children, or those that like their own space and don't want to share a room with their children. The resort is north of Playa del Carmen - it is a short drive from the airport and a short ride to Playa del Carmen - a great location. It was too windy at the beach for us to get in the ocean, but the beach there seemed quite nice.

3 Thank Kathryn_in_MN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Fairmont Mayakoba
Fairmont Mayakoba
#9 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,467 reviews
The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
The Royal Haciendas All Suites R...
#44 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#6 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,964 reviews

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!