“Very clean and kid friendly!”

Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Ranked #59 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Very clean resort. I've never seen one that caters to kids so much! They have high chairs and toys available in all the restaurants. They have a kids staff that is very professional and well trained. We used their babysitting service for our 8 month old daughter. Very friendly staff and excellent food at all the restaurants...including the Italian. I saw a previous report by someone who hated the Italian...not sure what happened with them, but our experience was fantastic and we're not easy to please. The concierges are extremely helpful. We had a medical emergency while there and they were at our room with help to get to the hospital is less than 2 minutes. They even followed up with us as to how things went when we got back after a couple days in the hospital. Don't be afraid to go to the timeshare presentation. They are upfront that it is a sales pitch and there is no pressure at all to go. We were already timeshare owners so we weren't afraid. But there was no pressure at all. It was a great presentation and opportunity that they offer. Ask to have Jorge (George) do your presentation. Great family guy just trying to make a living like the rest of us! Tony, his manager, is also excellent! Needless to say, we bought. The offer was too good to refuse especially when they offered to buy out our one year old membership at another resort.
Housekeeping was top notch! We had a different towel decoration everyday. She even left them for us each day so we had quite a collection on display by the end of our trip.
I recommend tipping to show your appreciation. We saw a lot of people leave their tables without leaving anything even though they appeared to get the same high quality of service we did. That's not to say we tipped every meal. Sometimes our waiter seemed to disappear and we wouldn't see him again at all that meal. So, no tip. But in general the service is great.
Entertainment staff are great and very active in getting people involved.
If Azul Fives is reading this...My one recommendation is that you improve the Photography Department. The only photographer there seemed fairly uninterested in making any money. His samples of photos on display looked like they were taken by an amateur. No imagination and variety. We've stayed at other resorts where you see the photography staff out there around the resort taking pictures, bringing animals along for poses with people, and letting you know when and where you can see your pictures to buy them if you wish.
We did the beach massage with the spa and thought it was great!
We also had a "candle-light" (there were no candles per-se just a dimly light shelter on the beach) dinner on the beach. The food was Fantastic and the service absolutely top-notch!
All in all, we had a great time and would highly recommend the resort to families!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank 173Jack173
There are newer reviews for Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen

Reviewed March 1, 2013

My business partner and I stayed here first week of December.
I am an avid Mexico traveller (and even lived in the country for a few years) so I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.
I can honestly say this was the BEST resort in Mexico I have ever stayed at.
In fact, it was SO good, that when we came back to Mexico one week later, we actually left our all inclusive resort to come back for one day! We just HAD too!

Property:
The property is very clean, neat, and beautiful. They have hotel rooms to stay in, as well as condos to buy. My partner and I are still considering purchasing a unit as we find the prices are decent and we would love to call this location a second home. Because there are a mix of owners and visitors, everyone seems to care about the ground and property more than a normal resort.
There is plenty of walking (its good for you!) but if you are unable, the staff will pick you up in a golf cart.

Food:
No matter what any other review says, the food is terrific! I am quite a picky eater, and I was blown away by the food. I usually turn my nose up at resort food, finding it bland and tasteless. The food here was flavorful and delicious! The Asian restaurant was mt personal favorite, as many of the dished come in 'tapa' size, and the waiter Dario is amazing. The Italian has delectable pasta, and the Mediterranean has great goat cheese and soups! These restaurants are a la carte, so you are always getting fresh hot food!
There are buffets available as well if you prefer that (which are also great)
Our fav lunch spot was the Lizards pool side- the pizza is addictive, ceviche is fresh and they make freshly squeezed juices (new flavor every day, and great to mix with vodka!)

Rooms:
The rooms are very modern, cool, and spacious. There are double sinks, large glass shower, i pod dock, balcony, etc. We had a bowl of fresh fruit and chocolate dipped strawberries to welcome us on our arrival. My only complaint about the room was the bed was a little firm and squeeky... but who really cares?

Beach:
Small beach area, but it has everything you need! There is a infinity pool with great views of the ocean, and plenty of chairs to sit on (we always could find a spot no matter what time we came out)

Staff:
Here is where this hotel REALLY shines. The staff is unbelievable!
First off, you have a personal concierge assigned to you. Ours was Enrique. He checked on us throughout our entire stay to make sure everything was perfect. He arranged some activities for us, and made us feel very valued, comfortable, and appreciated.
Then in the pool/beach areas they have great servers. There are really to many to name, as they were all excellent! They will check on you frequently to ensure you have a full glass!
Then there is the animation team. Although we did not do many of the sports or activities, these guys/girls were always full of energy and happy.
You can usually find them at the 'towel hut' along with Enrique.
Our most favorite member of staff was Enrique at the towel hut. He was the funniest, most thoughtful, and excellent member of staff the hotel has. He also works as a bell boy in the evenings. If you get the chance to interact with him you are lucky indeed!

Good things to know:
- If you want to party like crazy, not the resort for you. Its quiet and relaxing. There is a bit of fun with the shows, and at the disco, but its mostly a 'in bed by 11' kind of place. We hardly saw anyone at the disco or bars, and we really just had the most fun with the staff!
- There is a lot of walking if you have a room near the lobby to get to the beach. Its about 5-10 minutes to walk around.. for some thats a lot. For us it was a life saver from all the pizza we were eating!
- Tip the waiters, servers, butlers, maids, etc! These folks do a hard job out in the sun and heat and make your stay amazing!
- Spa had the best massage we have ever experienced. Mario set everything up for us and its gorgeous inside as well! You need to try it out!
- Gym is small, but functional. Dont get your hopes up, but it does the trick. Best part is there is a FRESH smoothie shop right beside it! I have never seen that in a resort before
- Monkeys can be seen around 11-1 near one of the pools! Ask the staff, as they come out once in a while!
- Deserts here are actually edible, try some
- The wine that is included is pretty bad, but we solved this problem by drinking a TON of champagne. All champagne is good champagne.
- If you think you would like to take a look at the units for sale, ask for a tour!
- You are a $20 cab from town. We only spent one day there, because we couldnt get enough of the food and the staff!

You need to try out this resort. HEAVEN!
Cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
8  Thank KashleeAndTrevor
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed at this resort from Feb. 21-27. We had the all inclusive plan and it was great!! The staff was very nice and friendly! All the food was great! We spent a lot of our time by the infinity pool and all the staff there was awesome, especially Santiago, Ramon, Cesar, Daniella, Edgar, Eduardo, and many others I don't remember names for!!! They were great at getting people involved and just talking with you and having fun!!! It really made the trip!! Once thing that could have been better would have been the entertainment/music at the Zky Bar at night. We were a little bummed that the music was shut off at 11pm. We were looking forward to more dancing. Also the lighting in the bathroom/sink area of our room was not the best. Otherwise I have no complaints at all. It was my first time in Mexico and I had a BLAST!! I didn't want to leave!! Thanks for such a great experience!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Katie H
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed at Azul Feb 7-11th. I will start with the good.

The Good
1. Food was great for an all inclusive
2. Rooms were clean and well take care of
3. Pools were great.
4. Room service was always quick

We had one bad experience with a staff member that really annoyed me. I left to go back to the room for a minute and my wife stayed at the pool. As soon as I left one of the pool attendants went over to my wife and proceeded to tell her how sexy she looked and that her bikini was the best at the resort. Then he asked her if she was happily married and if she would be interested in going out that night.

This same employee had clearly seen us together as we got towels together and were in the chairs. She also had her ring on, but i guess that did not stop him.

Needless to say she was very uncomfortable with the situation and hesitated to tell me. I did not make a big issue of it because i did not want it to ruin our vacation.

I just feel like employees should know not to do that.

Overall it was a nice place, but i would not return.

3  Thank Paul L

This hotel is great !

We had the all inclusive plan..The staff couldn't do enough for us.

We were greated with champagne and ice cold cloths to cool down with in the lobby to enjoy as we were getting checked in

They were all very friendly..The room was great. bed was a little hard for my liking...

The beach was really rocky but if you walked to the left about 3 minutes there weren't any rocks and it was great for swimming.

The wild life was a plus..We saw a few Spider Monkies in the court yard and plenty of Iguanas..

The Tsuki was the best place to eat love the sushi there,although all were great except for the Italian restaurant...It was horrible..service was slow and the food was nothing like authentic Italian...

The world flavors was fantastic for breakfast..what a spread they put out.

Even though it was classified a a family resort the kids that were there were very well behaved..

The pool bar at the beach was real nice..The bartenders were very quick and generous with the alachol in the drinks..(all top shelf liquors)..

Luis the waiter was awesome !! lots of fun and always there to refill your drink...

2  Thank Rosalie M
Reviewed February 28, 2013

What more can you want? Great food, more choices than you can eat in a week! Wonderful service at the bars and restaurants. Everyone's response to a simple Thank You was "It's a Pleasure" and i felt each one of them meant it everytime they said it, and it did not get old! The rooms were clean and comfortable with great pillows and bedding. The pools were clean and chairs comfortable. You did have to get there early for a chair by the main pool, but that is typical. we had chairs for our group every day we wanted them and we had a large group! My husband and I don't have children but had some in our group and the resort did a wonderful job keeping them busy with projects if they wanted to participate. Overall a wonderful place. Only negative i would say is that there is no nightlife at the resort. Afer watching the "show" everyone went straight to bed! NO dancing, bands, or other night life unfortunately.

Room Tip: We were in building 12 and it was a good location for us. Any building seemed ok. No ocean views a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank stacyhegg
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed at this resort from Feb 16-23rd. Although we did not get the king bed we reserved our stay at this property was incredible. The reason why I gave five starts was because of the service and the food!!!! I have travled all over the world and this was the best all inclusive we have stayed at. The people from the reception to the pool bartenders to the waiters! It was extremely clean and beautiful grounds. It was so nice that I, not them, approached the sales department to inquire about a "Loyalty Program" that they promote. No pressure was ever put upon us. Yes!!, we did purchase the program for 60 weeks at Karisma properties in Mexico. We are planning on returning to these properties twice a year. Look into it, I think you will be impressed. We live in Idaho and flying directly from SLC to Cancun is very convenient and that is why we love Cancun area. Playa del Carmen is our favorite. Thank you for such a wonderful experience!!!

3  Thank jorgy02
#12 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!