“Feb 14-18, 2013”

Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Ranked #59 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just returned and thought I would post this after all of the up and down reviews I viewed prior to our stay.
This hotel is basically an upscale hotel that is for families. So please be prepared is you do not have little ones--as there were a bunch when we went.
Restaurants- We had good food and service at all of the restaurants. No long waits and only the Italian required reservations. The buffet breakfast had very good selections.
Pool- Infinity pool by the beach was nice and service was very good.
Room- Our deluxe room was above average. No tub and lighting in the room was substandard. There are no king beds in any of the deluxe rooms. These rooms are sort of a suite that can be split up to make 1-3 bedroom suites or just individual rooms. Each room is located within an exterior door that accesses all 3 rooms.
Entertainment-The nightly shows were good and entertaining and were worth seeing.
Location-About 40 minutes from Cancun airport. Taxi to Playa del Carmen about 20-25 minutes and $15. Nothing really close to the hotel.
Overall rating-I cannot say I would rate this a hotel a 5 star. Probably borders on a 4 star. It was expensive for a borderline 4 star hotel.
The reviews that I saw before concerned me but from what I saw/experienced the hotel either fixed the service problems or people just can't be pleased. If you are looking for a couples place--this is not it. This is for families. Don't get me wrong my experience was not bad. In fact I would say it was good but for the price and the fact that there are alot of crying kids I will not go back.

Room Tip: Double beds in the deluxe rooms so if you want a kind you may have to get the suite. But you don;t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Eric S
Write a ReviewReviews (6,892)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My daughter and son-in-law and I stayed here in a two-bedroom ground floor suite. The staff was wonderfully thoughtful. They thought of anything we might want before it occurred to us that we wanted it. The food in all the restaurants was good. We thought the Asian restaurant was outstanding. We loved the walkways that led past all the amenities. There were families with small children, and the place was very adaptable for them, as well as for me with my handicap cart. The swimming pools are convenient to your habitation no matter the location of your unit. There are vans to take you where you want to go within the resort if you don't want to walk, and the staff will have a taxi for you at the door in a very few minutes if you want to go elsewhere. Cab fare to Playa del Carmen was about $15 in American dollars. There is a ferry which travels between Playa del Carmen and Carmel. Because we have visited the area several times before, we did not rent a car this time and enjoyed the all-inclusive vacation. Our accommodation was continually clean and the beds were comfortable. When we arrived we were greeted with a glass of complimentary champagne. We were not pestered by high-pressure salesmanship. At night the pathways are well lighted, and the well-kept grounds are enclosed. Everyone there seemed to be having a good time and we chatted with a lot of interesting people. I have visited many places in Mexico often, and this would be one of my very favorite spots to come home to after exploring, or just to stay and soak up the sun, sea and beauty.

Room Tip: We liked being on the ground floor and in Building 9, just a short distance away from poolside acti...
3  Thank Dawn K
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback , i felt your review was very factual and honest. It was a pleasure to host your holiday and its good to know that the Azul Fives was the perfect fit for what you wanted out of this stay. One of my favorite features of the hotel is that all rooms are next to the our river style swimming pools, like you said, no matter where you are located with the resort the pool is only steps away.

I hope to see you again at the Azul Fives

Best

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We just came back from our 10 day holiday at Azul ,first impressions were very good.The lobby was very modern and our check in was a quick and painless process , we arrived to our room a short trip later , we stayed in block 8 and loved it .The room was huge everything worked well ,the sofa bed was awful but a call to the concierge and we had a mattress pad for the next night not a big deal.I am a beach dweller although its only a short walk to a good spot to get in you lose the comforts of the beach front when you do,they do however need more umbrellas we were hard pressed to find a shady spot at 8 am.

Pool and beach bars were fantastic drinks were all excellent pools were very well kept and had no problem finding a quite spot to swim.
Food was all excellent but they are very under staffed ,I am on vacation so I don't mind waiting but the Sea Olive only had two waiters for a full restaurant.
Evening entertainment was very good

Special thanks to Carolina at the teen club for keeping our son busy ,our room was kept spotless by Justin so again thank you.Over all this resort is very nice and well kept food was awesome we have no complaints.
Just a small add on I had a hot stone massage at the spa the treatment was top end ,I don't think I have ever had a better spa treatment.

3  Thank Oliander35

thank you for your wonderful review, I enjoyed reading your comments and have carefully considered your feedback. Next time you visit you it will not be almost perfect , you will experience pure perfection!

I'm happy to know that there were many aspects of your stay that surpassed your expectations , such as the azulitos , the spa , the pools and our beach. In addition I do agree with you on your suggestions and reccommendation , we are currently awaiting new matresses for our sleeper sofas. I have also taken note of your comment about the staffing and the umbrellas which I will address and take the appropriate action.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your overall experience and its good to know that the efforts of the mentioned staff enhanced your holiday enjoyment.

again, I hope to see you again, in the future, at the Azul Fives Hotel.

Best

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have just come back from a week at the Fives. We had not expected much after reading the reviews but wanted to see how suitable the property and would be for a visit with friends. We were pleasantly surprised and we would go back although with different rooms.
Our one bedroom was very large and on the outside of building seven facing the fence. We normally avoid the pool view rooms because of the noise but that is not a problem in this resort. The pools wind around the centre buildings and while there are two pool bar/restaurants open during the day there is no music playing.and it is very pleasant.
The resort is set up with the Flavours Buffet spa and lobby at one end and the two a la carte restaurants, bar and snack bar at the beach. There is aabout a 100 yard garden between the end units and the beach buildings so few rooms would have a good ocean view.
The restaurants are good but the real surprise was the buffet dinner. We normally avoid buffets except in this place you have no choice at breakfast. One night the theme of the buffet was chocolate and it was excellent with variations on dark and light mole sauces.They also have a wood fired pizza oven where the cook rolls out and builds you a pizza. Very surprising variety for a place catering to kids.
Speaking of kids if you are intimidated by strollers this is the wrong place to go. I don't mind them except at dinner when at least one starts screaming but you can also go to dinner late. One place to go to dinner early is the reservations only Italian restaurant. If you go at 5:30 and get a table by the window you will have a panorama view of sunset over the ocean and Playa Del Carmen.which was better than the meal in our opinion.
The one big strike against this resort is that you can't swim at the beach because of the rocks and have to walk a couple of hundred yards to the left to find a small safe sandy area. The other beach problem for us is that the beach isn't very wide and you are lined up like rows of sardines on the beach chairs. No palapas with two chairs and privacy. The beach pool is also very noisy with continuous music which makes a constant background of booming base on the beach.
I read the complaints about the kitchens having no utensils and asked about that. I was told the kitchens are there for the owners and it is up to them to equip them as they wish. When we booked our trip the cost for a one bedroom with food was the same as without so it didn't take much math to figure it out. The prices listed on the menus are extremely expensive and unless you have a car there is nowhere else to go. We had thought that being so close to town would be handy but in reality you have to go two miles up a bad road to get the the highway and then five miles to the turn and two more miles downtown.We had expected the town would be more accessible. Another annoying problem with the upper floors is they have no comfortable furniture on the balconies. The ground floors get two lounge chairs plus a small table with two small chairs. Here we had this large balcony with no loungers, just the table and chairs. The bedroom has a small balcony with no furniture. A visit to our concierge had us two loungers delivered in half an hour which is another treason I like this hotel chain.Thieir service is exceptional and we have rarely had any problem which wasn't taken care of.
In conclusion while it wasn't our favorite of the Karisma properties we will probably be back and if you are travelling with kids then this or the Azul Beach would be excellent choices.

Room Tip: We were told you see the monkeys around building three.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bobbrecken
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were appalled at both the service & food at Azul Fives, these were deal breakers for us. Yes, it is a beautiful hotel, but if these two minimum requirements are not met you cannot have a good vacation!

Service - Which is something I expect to be top notch in mexico was good about 50% of the time. Food service staff were the worst (from what we experienced), I am sure there are gems, we however did not get to experience their "good" people apparently!

Food Portions - Portions were ridiculously small and very carb heavy, and NOT gourmet. I can only assume this is a cost cutting measure for the hotel. For example a room service order of fajitas came as the equivalent of 1 taco (comprised of about 1/5 a chicken breast and scarps of overcooked fajita veggies)! 5/10, very americanized menu, very carb heavy, menus seem designed to achieve the lowest cost to them possible. We felt the whole time like we were fighting to get a decent amount of food, and we are not even big eaters! No azul fives, I don't want to fill up on tortilla, bread, and french fries!

Travelers: If you are used to eating at fast food restaurants, and cheaper chain restaurants then the food may not be an issue for you, however if you like to eat healthy, fresh and slightly more gourmet food go elsewhere. Honestly it may be worth it to di the european plan and buy your own groceries, rent a car, eat off property.

The pros: spacious rooms, beautiful property, competitive pricing.

Honestly, we will not ever go to another Azul property after this experience.

Room Tip: Spacious rooms, penthouse is nice but the rooftop floor is rough so not great for little ones who ca...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank notgonnalie
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I would just like to start by saying our trip to Azul Fives was awesome and that the staff here really made this a memorable occasion.

Our check in and check out was fast and without a hitch. We met Jose to give us a tour of the facilities on his 10 seater golf cart. Jose was very outgoing and a lot of fun to talk to. He assured us if we needed anything he was there to help. We were his amigos for the rest of our stay.

We were on a trip with our friends who had never seen a palm tree as of yet and were hoping along with my wife to have a drink in a coconut. Well the bar just did not serve drinks in coconuts. I went down to the pool bar and talked to friendly bartender named Domingo. He assured me that he would be more than happy to prepare something special for me. He pointed me in the direction were I could get some coconuts. When I brought them back he machete d off the top and prepared these drinks. You could tell he was wanting to make the experience a good one for us. He put faces on the coconuts and filled them with their drinks.
Well, lets just say us boys got some good brownie points bringing the girls their much awaited coconut drinks. Thanks Domingo!

I had wanted to do something special for my wife. We have been married for ten years and originally I had never given her the romantic proposal she deserved. (aka side of the highway proposal). I had bought a ring at Lapis for her and wanted to give her the do over proposal. I went down to the Sea Olive to see if i could set something up. Maribel the hostess and Alberto the Waiter assured me they would be happy to assist. When we arrived they had a table all set up for us and changed it to the outside setting for us at our request. I had given Maribel the ring before dinner. When desert time arrived they had a beautiful desert made with a cheese cake in the shape of a heart with sauces in heart shapes and the ring placed in the cheese cake. Well lets just say it was a very memorable night. Thanks Maribel and Alberto.

We had a 15 month old with us and appreciated the toy lending service at meals and in the room. Room service was also great! Must try the Filet Mignon!

This resort has Wild Spider monkeys that will come quite close. My Friends son actually starting petting one. I don't recommend it just in case. But it was nice to see these cute little guys trusting us so much.

All we can say is we had a great time and made many awesome memories with our friends.

Thanks to Azul Fives and its great Staff.

See you soon.

Room Tip: Building 4 or 5 and you may get a chance to see the wild monkeys on your deck.
6  Thank maritimeshopper
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences on trip advisor and congratulations on the proposal ; I'm happy that with a little help from our staff you have a memorable proposal ( do over) that you can treasure.

i'm happy tho know that we were able to surpass all expectations and hope that you will choose to relive these wonderful memories in the future.

all the best

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Just got back yesterday from an awesome trip to Azul Fives. Rooms were very spacious, we had a one bedroom pool view but since we requested a ground floor due to traveling with a 21 month old, we ended up with a pool walk-out suite. It was so convenient especially when our little one was taking her 3 hour daytime naps!

The room service was a lifesaver (again having a toddler), and of a fairly high standard, always delivered within 40 mins of ordering, many times sooner. Yes the menu is a little limited but no more than any other room service menu I have seen at a top city hotel. When we didn't have time to order before out daughter went for a nap (she slept in the same room as the phone) one of us would walk to the closeby concierge office and they ordered for us. The people were outstanding, we always felt taken care of.

When we got there we were given a pack and play rather than a crib which our daughter has never gotten along with. It took a couple of phonecalls and we had to wait until the next day checkout but we did eventually get our crib. I am not going to slate the resort for this since we live in a world of chance and yes it is possible that there were none available immediately, the point is we had one within 24 hrs and were taken care of.

Housekeeping is of the highest standard I have experienced, the staff are extremely thorough and always accommodated our late afternoon cleaning request due to daughter sleeping noon till 3. For those few reviews I have seen where the room service was 'spotty', if you were not happy, you should have called them, it would have been fixed and remained consistent thereafter.

Yes the beach is rocky and if you have small children you are unlikely to spend any time in it but since you are reading this review you will know this and expect it (As I did). If you want a nice sandy beach that you can swim in, don't book this resort or suck it up and walk 5 mins up the beach to the less corally area. The three main pools more than make up for this and are safer for children anyway.

There were three swim up bars at this resort all with fantastic bar staff that went out of their way to make you happy. One guy actually carried a six pack and cocktail back to my room for me (well for my husband who was waiting on the terrace while my daughter slept)

Now for the kids club, AWESOME! My daughter was in her element, the Fisherprice room is full if toys for ages 4 and below, the toddler gym gave her the biggest work out and we saw notable development in her agility and strength after using it as the week progressed. The staff are great with the kids. I always said I would never leave my daughter with an organized babysitter in a resort and we didn't but should we return (as we plan to) I would not hesitate to do so.

We only really ate at the buffet once or twice and Japanese restaurant three times (as we are huge sushi fans) and every time was a pleasant experience. The sushi chefs were great and the wasabi actually had a kick. Every restaurant had Fisherprice toys at the entrance so you could entertain your kids whilst dining. This really is a resort that caters to all kids age groups, kudos to the management and staff, they all had a knack with making a grissely toddler smile!

So yes I will be returning and highly recommend to the realist who does not travel in a bubble and feel that the word Gourmet should not be used if the wine list is limited! Whatever, the dining experience was in my opinion of a gourmet level and I only ate in two of the restaurants and the rest of time was served gourmet fajitas on my terrace with a glass of champers.

A parting comment..... were there strange smells in my room now and then?, absolutely but someone needs to tell me which resort in Mexico does not (and this was my eighth Mexican resort). The climate and infrastructure make this inevitable but as always it wasn't so bad that I let it ruin my vacation, you do get used to it, and it certainly is no reason to berate the resort and post another complaint. Suck it up or stay home in your palace!

• Stayed: February 2013
7  Thank Maddismomma

thank you for your very detailed review, it was a breath of fresh air to read and i truly appreciate your feedback .I found your comments to be true, honest and informative which I think is essential and i'm sure others will be very grateful to you for writing this.

I would like you to know that I have carefully considered all comment and therefore a few points where we can definately improve. We are constantly working to perfect our services and facilities, this is aided by such feedback like yours.

Once again , many thanks and I hope to see you and your family back at the Azul Fives Hotel in the near future.

All the best

Petit Lafitte
Petit Lafitte
#9 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#30 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!