“Don't listen to the Bad Reviews! AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen

Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Ranked #52 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Miami, Florida
“Don't listen to the Bad Reviews! AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I'm 29. I was looking for a fun, affordable and comfortable party. I got it all at Playa and Azul Fives was the gateway to it all.

The resort & rooms are immaculate. The surrounding pool is cozy and the infinity pool is breathtaking. The service is wonderful and the drinks are strong and delicious (definitely get the all-inclusive). The food is pretty good; keeps the belly full during the day. I'm a foodie and I don't expect much from an all-inclusive. I got my authentic mexican dishes in town the few nights that we went.

The resort is very fun during the day, the staff is friendly and funny and promote all type of activities and sports on the beach. Theres also alot of cool stuff for kids (this is a great hotel for families). My girlfriend and I took a long walk on the beach and walked by many resorts including some of the more expensive ones and no one seemed to be having as much fun.

The beach isn't the best that I've seen, the sand is fine and the water is beautiful but there are stones in the water and visible seaweed. This seemed to be case all along the coast though so I think it's more of a Playa thing as opposed to this resort. Again, on our long walk, the entire beach did not impress me. If you are looking for an immaculate crystal clear beach with powdery sand, I suggest you visit Cancun 45 minutes north instead.

The hotel has one bar open at night. It closes at 1. It was fine the first night but I went out into town the rest of the nights. Playa has an awesome nightlife with alot of clubs, bars and great restaurants. If you are someone who is looking for a resort with great nightlife, this isn't the one. I assure you, it is definitely relaxing at night, feel free to sleep on a hammock after being blasted by the sun all day.

In conclusion, I had an amazing experience. I drank, ate, lounged on the beach and infinity pool or played volleyball/soccer and rode jet skis all day. Went into town at night to get my mexican fix and can't wait to return.

The resort & rooms are immaculate. The surrounding pool is cozy and the infinity pool is breathtaking. The service is wonderful and the drinks are strong and delicious (definitely get the all-inclusive). The food is pretty good; keeps the belly full during the day. I'm a foodie and I don't expect much from an all-inclusive. I got my authentic Mexican dishes in town on the nights we went out.
The resort is very fun during the day. The staff is friendly and funny and promote all types of activities and sports on the beach. There’s also a lot of cool stuff for kids (this is a great hotel for families). My girlfriend and I took a long walk on the beach and walked by many resorts including some of the more expensive ones and no one seemed to be having as much fun.
The beach isn't the best that I've seen, the sand is fine and the water is beautiful but there are stones in the water and visible seaweed. This seemed to be case all along the coast though so I think it's more of a Playa thing as opposed to this resort. Again, on our long walk, the entire beach did not impress me. If you are looking for an immaculate crystal clear beach with powdery sand, I suggest you stay in Cancun 45 minutes north.
The hotel has one bar open at night. It closes at 1. It was fine the first night but I went out into town the rest of the nights. Playa has an awesome nightlife with many clubs, bars and great restaurants. If you are someone who is looking for a resort with great nightlife, this isn't the one. I assure you, it is definitely relaxing at night, feel free to sleep on a hammock after being blasted by the sun all day.
In conclusion, I had an amazing experience. I drank, ate, lounged on the beach and infinity pool all day or played volleyball or soccer and rode jet skis as well. Went into town at night to get my Mexican fiesta fix and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Try to get as close to the beach as possible. Definitely get a suite, they are enormous!
3 Thank FFEDD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,651)
  • Polish first
Washington, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This property was a Pleasant Surprise! After reading many of the reviews on Tripadvisor, we were very concerned....especially since we made reservations for friends who had never been on a Funjet vacation to Mexico! When we first arrived, we found the buildings and lobby to be very plain and unappealing which increased our concern!
Although we had requested a poolside main floor room, we were booked on the 3rd floor facing a fence! Since 'location is everything' we returned to reservations for a room change. We were told the property was 'full' but possibly our Funjet representative, Lilly could help. Lilly worked her magic! She assured that could be moved to more scenic rooms the next day~ Now for the 'catch' and something that you should be aware of: There are 3 levels of deluxe double rooms and only 2 are available to Funjet guests: 1) 2 or 3rd floor double room overlooking the garden or 2) 2nd or 3rd floor double room overlooking an adjoining building. The 1st floor pool view deluxe double room with a patio is not an option for Funjet guests. For a $40 daily fee, we were upgraded to the patio pool 'view' (not poolside). So, for $240, we were delighted with the entire property! It made a huge difference! Our new room # was 403-2... which was excellent. If you don't care about room location, this is no big deal for you!
The only other 'caution' that I will express is when you go to the Italian restaurant, do NOT assume that all wine is included in the all-inclusive price. Only 'house wine' is included. Other wine choices can cost $100+ per bottle!
Now for the 'GREAT'
PEOPLE: The staff is awesome! Every employee from gardeners to the waiters greeted us with a 'hola' and a smile at every meeting! The employees at EVERY restaurant, lounge, beach and pool were terrific! They were there to make our stay the best ever! The most amazing waiter at Azul Fives is Mauro at the Mediterranean restaurant ! He would definitely be considered a 'five-star+' waiter anyplace/anywhere!
PROPERTY: Immaculate and beautiful. The grounds are amazing and the pools spotless! The beach was a bit rocky but not inaccessible. It was as good or better than others in the area. We walked at least 1 mi each way from the Azul and, in my opinion, this beach rates as high a quality as any of the others. The 'monkeys' are fun! They congregate around buildings 4-5 and will come to your balcony for a banana!
FOOD: Without question, the food is the best on the Riviera Maya! It is definitely gourmet quality. 'Favorites' morning buffet was as delicious with as many options as any $20 buffet in the U.S. It was great that reservations were not required for specialty restaurants (with the exception of the Italian). The Mediterranean was our favorite, probably due to the beef options and Mauro the waiter!
TRANSPORTATION and ADMINISTRATION: Lomas transportation was on time and excellent. Lilly (Funjet representative) was very helpful. Oscar (Azul staff member) was very professional. He tried to encourage us to attend a Welcome Back session presented by the hotel. If our request for an upgrade could have been arranged by him, we would have accepted his invitation!
We have stayed at many Riviera Maya properties (Iberostars, Sandos, Riu) in the past and this is definitely the best! 4+ to 5 STAR
Oh....one more point...... this property is totally kid friendly! Even though we were on a couples vacation, it was fun to see all the families having such a great time!

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are all good but are not available if traveling Funjet. Pool view is a good option...
7 Thank duckky
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We had a great time at Azul Fives. Not one complaint. It's not a 5 star resort but it suited us just fine. Excellent for kids and quiet at night. If the beach is not your scene, you can hang out at one of the pools throughout the resort. All the staff is friendly and willing to help. The food was great at every restaurant. On Friday night the had porketta at Flavours. Try the Sea Olive for Lunch - they have a different menu at lunch than at dinner. We were not disappointed with AF and would recommend it to families or couples looking for a quiet escape.

Room Tip: We don't spend much time in our room so the Deluxe room was great.
1 Thank SonnB
Winnipeg, MB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was our first family trip with our 5 month old and I worked tirelessly to find the best baby friendly resort that would suit our needs. I found it! Azul Fives was wonderful and suited us perfectly. Travelling with a small child, we knew that hanging out on the beach all day wasn't going to be an option and that we would be pool-bound. We chose a 1 bedroom walk out room which had a large terrace with chairs, loungers and a table. A few feet away was a pool that cut through the property. It was great for sitting on the patio with our daughter in the pack and play during the day time. We could easily be in the water and still watching her because we were so close. The suite was also great in the evening as we could be lounging in the living room with her in the bedroom. The full kitchen was helpful for reheating coffee in the micorwave and sterilizing everything we needed for our daughter, even though the hotel provided a bottle sterilizer (we chose to bring our own microwavable bags instead). The room was HUGE and there was enough space to not feel cramped having spent a lot of time indoors at night and even during the day. The large jacuzzi tub was fun to use and two bathrooms were great!

As for the food at this resort, it was among some of the best we've had at any all inclusive. The breakfast buffet was great and full of variety. Repetitive, but what would you expect if you went out to the same restaurant each morning that offered a buffet?? We loved it. The mediterranean restaurant was a miss. We wouldn't eat there next time, although the apps were great. The entrees were just underseasoned. Maybe we ordered the wrong things? Tsuki was AWESOME. We loved that place. It was like going out to an anwesome Thai/Japanese place each time. We ate there three nights. Only complaint was how busy it was. We were asked to come back in ONE HOUR one night...We had our baby with us and were frustrated because half the tables were empty. There was no explanation offered as to why we had to wait and they said they were full. I think they should just explain to people that they are currently full for the staff they have on hand, not that the place itself is full! We would have been happy with this explanation...Anyways, small hiccup and we enjoyed a meal there anyways! The italian place was pretty good. Order the large size of everything though! The 24 hour room service was great. We used it for breakfast and dinner on multiple occasions. It's fairly fast and delicious. One thing to note, some things are just not consistent. One night we ordered the tacos, which were huge and delicious. The next day they were small and bland. We found this at Tsuki as well. Seems like things on the menu would change day to day and sometimes you'd be left missing the same thing you ordered the day before!! Loved ordering drinks to the room and the pool waiters were great. Gabriel took care of us every day and was so friendly :)

We used the pool outside our room the most but lots of people used the main pool down near the beach. If you don't have a walkout room, you'll be out there. Awesome atmosphere with lots of loungers. Pool isn't huge out there, but neither is the resort so it makes sense. The beach isn't swimmable because of rocks, but we didn't mind as we didn't used it. Nice for taking walks though during the day! Some people have complained at how spread out everything was but we actually liked this. It was great having lots of places to walk around with the stroller when our daughter needed a ride!

Next time we go back, our daughter will be on solids and we are excited to take advantage of the baby food offered. So nice how they cater to little ones. We've never felt so safe at a resort. We literally left things unlocked during the day. It was like being at home! So many great things to say about this place. Of course you'll have a few little hiccups, but this is always expected. We loved everything about this resort and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Loved the 1 bedroom walkout, but only get this room if you are going to use the pool right infront o...
6 Thank scritchley
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Azul Fives was AWESOME!! The staff was exceptional.. no matter where you went everyone was extremely friendly always saying "hola or como estas".. or pointing you in whatever direction you needed to go.. sometimes even picking you up on golf cars and taking you there yours selves. Special shout out to the employees of the Breeze pool bar Santiago, Cesar, Arely, Alexander,Ramon, Domingo, Jack, Abraham. They made and served the most amazing drinks. I am celiac and could only drink certain types of alcohol... they would adapt any drink recipe to suit the alcohol i could have as well as create amazing new ones i'd never had.. ( or even thought i could have) Also the sky bar staff was amazing, Azucena was a real sweetheart... very patient even with some unruly guests. Some days she even started out at the pool bar and worked the night at the sky bar! David, the bar supervisor was awesome!! Very friendly and very accomodating. We loved to joke around with him. He is a great representive for Azul.The restaurants were very good. Being a celiac I knew I would be very limited in food options on vacation. Prior to our arrival we emailed the chef and he assured me there would be plenty of options. When I got there my room key (which you show the restaurants at each meal) had "allergica gluten" written right on it.. so even the staff members that spoke little english would understand and find someone who could come talk to me. Even eatting at the buffet wasnt as bad as i thought. Someone would always show me what was okay for me, and anything that risked cross contamination with any gluten, they would prepare fresh for me in the kitchen. Huge shout out to Jan Paul... any meal questions or complications we had he would go speak to the kitchen staff directly. One night the waiter was unsure of what desert i could have so he brought me cut up fruit, which was just fine..... minutes later Jan Paul showed up with 3 different types of ice cream and chocolate dipped strawberries. It was greatly appreciated as im used to usually going without to avoid gluten contamination. Enrique from concierge was amazing too.. always willing to help. The entertainment/pool area staff were a lot of fun. There were always activities to do, such as water polo, beach volleyball, trivia, pool darts, water aerobics and my favorites spanish lessons and dance lessons. Eliser and Jorge(Eduardo) were awesome spanish teachers very patient and would teach us whatever we wanted to learn... Hilario was a great dance teacher... sometimes just to get us to participate he would host the lesson wherever we chose.. one day we even had it in the shallow part of the pool, and another day on the beach. He also did most the announcing for the evening shows.. these included mexican night, fire show, michael jackson,casino night, street dance etc. Karen was a lot of fun and very bubbly and Daniela, although I only met her the one day was fun and an encouraging dance instructor. The only down fall to this hotel was that for people around my age there isn't a lot of night life, but the staff would stay for a while and dance with us and we met many people that would stay till the closing of the sky bar with us. It is very close to Playa del carmen, so we could also go to the nightclubs there so all in all this wasnt a big deal. Beds could have been a bit more comfortable, but for as much time as we spent there it really didnt matter. The rooms were beautiful and huge. we had a 2 bedroom suite and it was more space than we ever needed, which was awesome.. occasionally we would see monkeys along the pathway to the pool. Very cool. Can't wait to go back!!! Best vacation of my life!! Would recommend azul fives to anyone looking for a great place to stay with awesome staff. So sad to go home!

Room Tip: When we looked into it the price of 2 regular rooms was the same as one 2 bedroom suite. We loved th...
4 Thank Caitlan H
St. Paul, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We just returned from a 10 days stay at Azul Fives and I am ready to go back! It is a very nice, quite resort wise exceptional service. I want to say a big Thank You to a guys at concierge service (Ana Karen, Javier) and guys at Italian and Mediterranean restaurants. They did absolutely everything to make our stay a very memorable vacation. Very nice resort for a family.

Room Tip: Beach in front of the hotel is very rocky, but there is a very nice swimming area just 5 minutes to...
1 Thank apmn-73
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Had the most fun at this resort, They have the most Talented and fun staff that make your experience exceptional!~
The Infinity Pool Bar Tenders made me the most amazing drinks that I have ever had, I totally recommend trying Cesar's Raspberry Mojito and Santiago's Mango Tango's...don't be afraid to let them make you a surprise drink, there were so many that I loved but I can't recall the names.Their talent is truly represented in their creations. They are both very talented, welcoming and entertaining..great sense of humor, great people, totally enjoyed chatting and trying out the wide selection of slushy drinks. Our waitress Arely, and waiters Domingo, Alexander, Jack, Raymon and Abraham gave excellent service, you are never without a drink and they were always smiling...truly great people to represent Azul Fives.This bar staff gets my very highest recommendations.
The reason we booked this resort originally was their reputation for gluten free options for my daughter who is Celiac. We emailed the chief prior to our departure and promptly received a reply reassuring us that she would have gluten free options. Janpual went out of his way to ensure her food was prepared separately and often made recommendations to her on how menu items could be made gluten free. He was extremely helpful and took away any worries about her diet restrictions. The Italian restaurant upstairs serves gluten free pasta and bread, the restaurant downstairs made her several delicious gluten free meals and the staff a Flavors, (special mention for Tino who helped with translations) cooked her food seperatly and she was still able to enjoy the rest of the buffet. She even enjoyed the burgers at the pool restaurant...minus the bun of course.
Never a dull moment from the Entertainment staff David, Karen, Jorge, Eliser
They are always good to involve all the guest in some Volleyball, soccer, Spanish Lessons, Salsa dancing, water aerobics and of course getting the party going in the Sky Bar. Very friendly and encouraging people, totally recommend taking part in something you won't be disappointed..they have a way of making things more fun than you can imagine. Those of you with small children from what I saw they are exceptional with children and make extra efforts to involve them in all activities.
Enrique from Concierge was extremely helpful in showing us around on our first day..just a bit confusing when you first arrive, he was extremely helpful .
Over all best Holiday I've ever had...would totally consider visiting Azul Fives again, not only for the beautiful view and beautiful rooms but mostly because of their exceptional staff!

Room Tip: If you have a family I recommend a suite, Sleeping quarters are seperate and the kitchen livingroom...
4 Thank cchunter4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Fairmont Mayakoba
Fairmont Mayakoba
#7 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,475 reviews
The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
The Royal Haciendas All Suites R...
#43 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#6 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,969 reviews

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!