“Amazing Holiday!! I will be back ASAP!”

Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Ranked #58 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 19, 2013

***This Resort Is great for Individuals that are Celiac or have allergies

PLEASE Ignore any negative comments people say about this resort I can honestly Say my week at Azul Fives is the BEST holiday I have had, and it was 99% because of the absolutely incredible staff. We were greeted with champagne and cold towels, got to our room and it was a beautiful two bedroom suite with 3 bathrooms, a kitchen, living room, and fairly comfortable beds. We did not spend much time in the room but it was really nice, anything we needed wed call reception and they’d have someone there in minutes. This resort is really family oriented but that doesn’t mean it is a bad place to be if you are not with a family. They still have a lot to do.

Pool/pool bar- This Resort has a few great pools but I spend almost my entire trip in the infinity pool at the pool bar. The Staff is absolutely incredible here. They made our trip so much better. Always entertaining, and Cesar and Santiago make the best drinks out of anywhere on the resort. Santiagos Signiture drink was so good, and Cesar made Rasberry Mojitos that should be on the menu..AMAZING, he is so talented. They were so good about making drinks for my sister who’s celiac and can only have certain types of alcohol they are so amazing! The view from the pool was beautiful, there were plenty of chairs on the beach and by the pool so sit by. And Arely, Alexander, and Domingo were amazing for brining you drinks right to your chair. I seriously think all these staff members also including Ramon, Jack, and Abraham should be recognized for how amazing they were and how great they made our trip. I cannot thank them enough for making our week, we had many laughs..And we will always consider them our friends! Thank you all for your hard work, the many laughs and the time you took for us! I miss you all already.

Beach- Yes the beach is rocky, but to be honest with you I didn’t miss swimming in the ocean because the infinity pool is right on the beach, and we could still sit on the beach and swim, and if you really want to swim in the ocean you walk a little ways to the left of the resort and there’s a perfect spot.
It has one of the most beautiful views I have ever seen. And I wouldn’t want to change location at all!!

Sky Bar- The entertainment at the sky bar was great! I suggest you make sure you see the Michael Jackson, fire, and street dance shows..These were my favorite. This hotel does not have a lot of night life, the club was pretty quiet after 11, but the staff are so good at still making it a great place to be at night
Azucena and Leslie were so much fun, and very quick at getting your drinks. Honestly I wouldn’t let the lack of night life discourage you from booking here, Playa Del Carmen is like a 15$ cab ride away and they have deals for ladies night where it’s free entry/drinks and its completely safe to be there at night! David Also made our stay so great! He was always checking in to see how things were and was a lot of fun. we really appreciate him!
It is a very fun place to go.

Day Time entertainment- This resort has a ton of stuff going on during the day yoga, stretching, dance classes, Spanish lessons, beach volley ball, water aerobics, games, they have a kids club that I heard from people with kids was great, there is always something going on and the entertainment staff is the BEST I have seen at an all inclusive resort! Jorge (Eduardo), Karen, Eliser, Edger and the rest of the entertainment staff were AMAZING. the whole team deserves a lot of credit They made the daytime activities super fun and the night time shows even better.. I really appreciated their effort. They included as many people as they possibly could and are fantastic at their jobs.

Restaurants- All the food at this resort is amazing, i have been to a few all inclusive and this was the first one i have been to that i did not get sick from the food, i never felt gross after eating! The food was FANTASTIC. Very impressed!
Flavors was good for breakfast, fresh fruit, and lots of choices.
SEA OLIVE- MEDITERRANEAN- pretty good food, good service..takes a little longer so only ate here for supper, Dessert is amazing here.
TSUKI- PACIFIC RIM CUISINE- Great Salmon, Shrimp, And Calamari ...so good!
AREZZO – ITALIAN- Favorite food here was the seafood
ORIOLA BEACH CLUB GRILL- Ate here every day for lunch was really good food! And right on the beach!
Health bar- SO GOOD! Really recommend you try these healthy smoothies! Great for breakfast!

Allergies- This resort is INCREDIBLE, if you have any sort of allergy this is a Great place for you.
My sister is a celiac and was concerned about what she would eat. This hotel gives each person a room card when you check in. And on hers it stated she was celiac and all she had to do was show it at the restaurant and they would go find out a bunch of options she could have for dinner, they had gluten free pasta and bread, muffins, chicken, desserts... she wasn’t limited to eating the same thing every day.
And actually we really appreciated Janpaul who would go above and beyond to find her special meals, he even came out with a dessert plate full of stuff for her. Anytime we had questions he was there to help. His effort was very much appreciated. Enrique was also very helpful, the first night we got there he showed up where to go, and answered any questions we had. Really appreciated all of the help, made my sister more comfortable that she didn’t need to worry about cross contamination.

I will be back for sure, as soon as I possibly can. I am so grateful for everyone at this resort.
I have never been so satisfied with the service, I truly had an experience of a lifetime and I Highly recommend this hotel if you get the chance to visit Thank you Azul Fives, I have only been home a day and I am ready to come back already.

-Jayme Hunter

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing. None are right on the beach but its like a two minute walk because its a...
2  Thank JaymeH13
There are newer reviews for Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen

Reviewed January 17, 2013

We just returned from the most amazing time in Playa del Carmen. We stayed at Azul Fives because we heard so many wonderful things about the resort and also read great reviews here on Trip Advisor. The service staff at Azul Fives was very attentive and handled any requests in a professional and timely manner. Check-in and Check-out were a breeze! We also enjoyed the variety of restaurants available on-site. There are so many fun things to do at the resort like beach volleyball, water aerobics and tennis to playing checkers or chess on a life size board in the yard area. While we didn't vacation with children it appeared the set up for a family and children activities seemed quite impressive. We loved the name set aside for the little ones "Azulitos" I would definitely recommend this for a place to stay

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Penny G
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I know my review is pretty late, but my boyfriend and I stayed here May 2012. And we were blown away as soon as we walked into the lobby! We were greeted by VERY friendly hotel staff and with an alcoholic beverage and felt as if we didn't belong because we were treated like we were royality! The pools were amazing and the swim up bars! WE LOVED THE BARTENDERS! If a man named Ceasar is still there, tell him to make you a Lizard drink! Our room was a very open lay out which my boyfriend and I were shocked at, we thought it was a hoot! We have both been to Cuba before on seperate occasions and, although we still love cuba, this place had a whole different, higher class experience. The AL A CARTS were amazing! They have a Japanesse restaurant there, and no joke, THE BEST SUSHI I'VE EVER HAD! You should know, that this is a very high class non-party restort, and it was very relaxing! Please don't listen to the bad reviews, this is a great hotel, for a relaxing quite place. I would go back again. The food was excellent and there were beautiful weddings right on the beach! Overall, just an amazing place!

Room Tip: Room facing the pools or the beach is always splendid!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alicia F
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Azul Fives resort. Upon arrival we were a little skeptical due to the lack of any grand entrance. The lobby isn't very impressive so we were wondering what we were getting ourselves into at first, since we had just cancelled our reservation at the Sandos Playacar a week earlier and opted for Azul Fives. We had been to the Sandos Playcar several times before and I wanted to try something new, even though my husband loves the Sandos because of its primo beach and crystal clear water. The longer we were there the better things got. The service was wonderful throughout, in fact I have never saw as many workers at any resort as I have there and we have been to several in Mexico including the Grand Palladium, Barcelo Palace, Barcelo Tropical, Barcelo Caribe, Catalonia Royal Tulum, Iberostar Tucan and the Reef. We saw several spider monkeys while we were there, which the kids loved, they hang out along the pathway on the North side of the resort and near the spa.

Restaurants were good and we liked the fact that the dress code for men was relaxed, which meant that men didn't have to wear long pants and closed toe shoes like many all inclusive resorts. We were able to travel with just carry-on luggage since we didn't have to pack dress clothes this time. Only one of the restaurants required reservations, which was the Italian restaurant. Not sure why you are required to have reservations for this restaurant since it was our least favorite of the 3 we visited (we had dinner at Flavours and Sea Olive also). We had a one bedroom suite, which had a king sized bed in the bedroom and a pull-out sofa for our 2 kids in the living room. There was a full kitchen and a bath and a half, which was nice with 4 of us. The room was the nicest we have had in Mexico and we took advantage of the 24 hour room service every morning. There was outdoor shuffleboard, ping pong, etc. centrally located in the resort. The Zky bar was very nice with an outdoor patio overlooking the ocean. We visited the spa for a massage one afternoon and the spa was simply awesome! The biggest downfall of this resort is the rocky beach, which is the only reason we may not return. I would love to go back but my husband and kids would rather stay where there is a nicer beach. As others have stated, there is a nice beach for swimming located about a 5 minute walk to the north, where we went twice. Thanks Azul Fives staff for a great trip!

Room Tip: If you want to see monkeys on your balcony ask for a room along the north side of the resort overloo...
4  Thank djl1967
Reviewed January 16, 2013

From the blue champagne and cold towels we were greeted with to the ease of the checkout, this vacation was wonderful from beginning to end. The a la carte restaurants were gourmet, and the food always cooked to perfection. Orland at Tsuki was one of our favourite waiters and actually all wait staff were prompt and so attentive. The pool is not heated, but many in the Mayan are not, but was not cold. Very refreshing. The pool butler Sergio was so friendly each day and the complimentary suntan lotion was welcome after we ran out. You can also sign out footballs and volleyballs to play with on the beach or pool.

Any issue we had with housekeeping (minor such as not enough towels) was dealt with very quickly.

We traveled with two teenagers and they made limited use of the teen club - I think they were the only teens there!

In the first week of January, the resort was mostly families with young children, so if you a single or couple, be warned. The shows were great each evening, but the Zky bar usually cleared out after - which is fine cause we were always pooped from our day in the hot hot sun.

Also, if you are a beach person (meaning you like to play in the waves) you do have to walk down the beach to find a suitable area to enter. I believe the resport has a permit to rectify this in the future. They were also installing an elevator to make the second floor Zky Bar and third floor Aerrezo Restuarant handicap accessible.

The two bedroom penthouse was an absolute delight. Two full bathrooms and two half baths, comfortable beds, large balcony and then the rooftop patio area was phenomenal. Perfect for families and tons of room to spread out. After staying in this room, I may be hard pressed to find another room like this at a different resort in the future.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone that is travelling with their family. Friendly staff (the fruit kebabs served by the pool were amazing), great food, beautiful grounds make it a five star for me!

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 11 which is at the back of the property - it was a hike, but well worth it after...
4  Thank krissya
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We travel a lot! Let's start with that, we are a member of the Exotic Traveller "member" program. We have wanted to try this hotel for quite sometime. We booked the 2 bedroom penthouse suite and not to be"la-dee-da" but because we are travelling with 2 kids and wanted a second room... the roof-top deck was really a bonus in the whole deal. We have started traveling European plan, or rather not all-inclusive as we found if we were not drinking or eating 3 meals a day in the restaurants or around the pools, then the price for all inclusive just doesn't work for our family, upwards around $300 a day...we don't use that. We look for the rooms with a full kitchen and eat breakfast with the kids in the room and cook some meals in the room and typically go out for dinners... I know it is a vacation, but the kids either order chicken nuggets & french fries or pizza or I can simply toss these into the oven, all the same to them.
Let me start with the pros of the hotel/resort....

Looks: the arrival of the hotel, presents itself really nice, the layout nice and small, the rooms beautifully decorated, very modern. Although it could use some upkeep on minor details... still looks great!

Pool: The pool is cold, unfortunately and let me say so of all the Karisma resorts we have been to.... the pools are all really cold! You know when you stay at a hotel and the kids want to go in and say "come in mom" and you slowly put a foot in and then 2 feet and so on.....kinda takes your breath away cold" but not-aweful once you are in.... that is the pool temperature of the Karisma hotels, Azul Fives, Azul Sensatori and Azul Beach.

Service around the Pool: Great! There seemed to be lots of service around the pool for drinks and food was easy to get at the pools which is nice. Drinks are real drinks with real alcohol.

Trip to Play Del Carmen: Super easy to get to. $15 to get there and $10 to get back... makes me think the hotel takes a cut to let the cab drivers sit outside the resort. Either way pretty decent. There is a free shuttle twice a week into town early... my suggestion (if you want to save the $15, is to take the free shuttle, spend the day in Playa del Carmen enjoy a meal in town.... great food in town and great prices, you can even walk to "mega" which is a local walmart type store if you want snacks or anything for your room, then take a $10.00 taxi back.

The downfall for the 2 out of 5 rating for us...So the Azul fives seemed great for us traveling European, a full kitchen.... If you are going to offer this as an option .... back it up!!!! We arrived into the room, like all the kitchenettes we stay at, expecting only basics.... I don't even expect a toaster, kind of a bonus if one is there.... but I do expect, cups, plates, cutlery, pots and stuff to cook on and with, as well stuff to wash dishes... after all lets not forget I paid for this to be MY vacation, the same way someone else pays for all-inclusive.
I simply looked through the kitchen and made a list of the items missing, only 3 plates-need another one, no drinking glasses, would like maybe 4 of them, there were butter knives and 3 forks, need a couple forks and some spoons, there were pots and frying pans, but nothing to cook with flipper or spoons to stir, there was a cutting board, but no knives to cut with. We are equipped with 2 BBQ's on my roof-top balcony... but no utensils to cook with.
I made a simple list of spoons, utensils to stir pots with and a couple plates and cups. I took the list down to the concierge desk and I was told that "they are not included in the room", I suggested that they didn't understand what I was asking, maybe they didn't realize I had paid for the European plan, meaning I will be using the kitchen... and nope they are set that they are not included, that I could buy them at Walmart! Seriously... I camp, and I have more equipment camping than I do in this room to accommodate cooking. All I can say is "ridiculous" I went to Mega and bought my own toaster, a cutting knife, 2 steak knives... found a couple plates in the hall way and a couple glasses around the pool after all I do have a dishwasher.

I don't expect red carpet treatment, but I expect to get what I paid for... & this trip wasn't it!

Wanna become a member.... please email and I will tell all the reasons you shouldn't become a member. We are members of 3 different "time-shares" "owners-clubs"... all I will say is there is a great commercial out there about people that get great treatment because they are "NEW" that is the only time you will get great treatment..... don't fool yourself... you are no different :)

So... Cold water, and no kitchenette and bad service.... 2/5 they get one for nice looking resort and another for great service around the pool.

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you are wanting the European plan.... or if you do, pack some utensils, a pan fo...
19  Thank girlysummer
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My son and I went there last year in January 2012. The resort was immaculately clean, service was great and the food was spectacular. All the staff were extremely polite, gracious and friendly. My son loved it as well as there was lots for him to do. He was 12. We met lots of other families to have fun with. The pools are beautiful and we enjoyed swimmiing in the ocean. We loved this resort so much we are going back Feb 5th 2013 and bringing a friend along too. We are counting down the "sleeps" and hope to see some familiar staff again!! Also, I highly recommend taking one of the snorkeling tours in the cenotes!! Wow what an experience.

Room Tip: we didn't have any requests and our room was great
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank travelbug0423
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

As General Manager of the Azul Fives, I would personally like to thank you for your amazing review.

We pride ourselves on providing all of our customesr with the full Gourmet Inclusive experience and it is always good to have feedback as positive as yours.

It won't be long now until you return to us for your next stay. I look forward to seeing you and your Son again soon and meeting your friend.

Best Regards

#11 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!