“Amazing vacation”

Ranked #56 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Amazing vacation”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

From the blue champagne and cold towels we were greeted with to the ease of the checkout, this vacation was wonderful from beginning to end. The a la carte restaurants were gourmet, and the food always cooked to perfection. Orland at Tsuki was one of our favourite waiters and actually all wait staff were prompt and so attentive. The pool is not heated, but many in the Mayan are not, but was not cold. Very refreshing. The pool butler Sergio was so friendly each day and the complimentary suntan lotion was welcome after we ran out. You can also sign out footballs and volleyballs to play with on the beach or pool.

Any issue we had with housekeeping (minor such as not enough towels) was dealt with very quickly.

We traveled with two teenagers and they made limited use of the teen club - I think they were the only teens there!

In the first week of January, the resort was mostly families with young children, so if you a single or couple, be warned. The shows were great each evening, but the Zky bar usually cleared out after - which is fine cause we were always pooped from our day in the hot hot sun.

Also, if you are a beach person (meaning you like to play in the waves) you do have to walk down the beach to find a suitable area to enter. I believe the resport has a permit to rectify this in the future. They were also installing an elevator to make the second floor Zky Bar and third floor Aerrezo Restuarant handicap accessible.

The two bedroom penthouse was an absolute delight. Two full bathrooms and two half baths, comfortable beds, large balcony and then the rooftop patio area was phenomenal. Perfect for families and tons of room to spread out. After staying in this room, I may be hard pressed to find another room like this at a different resort in the future.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone that is travelling with their family. Friendly staff (the fruit kebabs served by the pool were amazing), great food, beautiful grounds make it a five star for me!

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 11 which is at the back of the property - it was a hike, but well worth it after...
4 Thank krissya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,773)
  • Polish first
Regina
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We travel a lot! Let's start with that, we are a member of the Exotic Traveller "member" program. We have wanted to try this hotel for quite sometime. We booked the 2 bedroom penthouse suite and not to be"la-dee-da" but because we are travelling with 2 kids and wanted a second room... the roof-top deck was really a bonus in the whole deal. We have started traveling European plan, or rather not all-inclusive as we found if we were not drinking or eating 3 meals a day in the restaurants or around the pools, then the price for all inclusive just doesn't work for our family, upwards around $300 a day...we don't use that. We look for the rooms with a full kitchen and eat breakfast with the kids in the room and cook some meals in the room and typically go out for dinners... I know it is a vacation, but the kids either order chicken nuggets & french fries or pizza or I can simply toss these into the oven, all the same to them.
Let me start with the pros of the hotel/resort....

Looks: the arrival of the hotel, presents itself really nice, the layout nice and small, the rooms beautifully decorated, very modern. Although it could use some upkeep on minor details... still looks great!

Pool: The pool is cold, unfortunately and let me say so of all the Karisma resorts we have been to.... the pools are all really cold! You know when you stay at a hotel and the kids want to go in and say "come in mom" and you slowly put a foot in and then 2 feet and so on.....kinda takes your breath away cold" but not-aweful once you are in.... that is the pool temperature of the Karisma hotels, Azul Fives, Azul Sensatori and Azul Beach.

Service around the Pool: Great! There seemed to be lots of service around the pool for drinks and food was easy to get at the pools which is nice. Drinks are real drinks with real alcohol.

Trip to Play Del Carmen: Super easy to get to. $15 to get there and $10 to get back... makes me think the hotel takes a cut to let the cab drivers sit outside the resort. Either way pretty decent. There is a free shuttle twice a week into town early... my suggestion (if you want to save the $15, is to take the free shuttle, spend the day in Playa del Carmen enjoy a meal in town.... great food in town and great prices, you can even walk to "mega" which is a local walmart type store if you want snacks or anything for your room, then take a $10.00 taxi back.

The downfall for the 2 out of 5 rating for us...So the Azul fives seemed great for us traveling European, a full kitchen.... If you are going to offer this as an option .... back it up!!!! We arrived into the room, like all the kitchenettes we stay at, expecting only basics.... I don't even expect a toaster, kind of a bonus if one is there.... but I do expect, cups, plates, cutlery, pots and stuff to cook on and with, as well stuff to wash dishes... after all lets not forget I paid for this to be MY vacation, the same way someone else pays for all-inclusive.
I simply looked through the kitchen and made a list of the items missing, only 3 plates-need another one, no drinking glasses, would like maybe 4 of them, there were butter knives and 3 forks, need a couple forks and some spoons, there were pots and frying pans, but nothing to cook with flipper or spoons to stir, there was a cutting board, but no knives to cut with. We are equipped with 2 BBQ's on my roof-top balcony... but no utensils to cook with.
I made a simple list of spoons, utensils to stir pots with and a couple plates and cups. I took the list down to the concierge desk and I was told that "they are not included in the room", I suggested that they didn't understand what I was asking, maybe they didn't realize I had paid for the European plan, meaning I will be using the kitchen... and nope they are set that they are not included, that I could buy them at Walmart! Seriously... I camp, and I have more equipment camping than I do in this room to accommodate cooking. All I can say is "ridiculous" I went to Mega and bought my own toaster, a cutting knife, 2 steak knives... found a couple plates in the hall way and a couple glasses around the pool after all I do have a dishwasher.

I don't expect red carpet treatment, but I expect to get what I paid for... & this trip wasn't it!

Wanna become a member.... please email and I will tell all the reasons you shouldn't become a member. We are members of 3 different "time-shares" "owners-clubs"... all I will say is there is a great commercial out there about people that get great treatment because they are "NEW" that is the only time you will get great treatment..... don't fool yourself... you are no different :)

So... Cold water, and no kitchenette and bad service.... 2/5 they get one for nice looking resort and another for great service around the pool.

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you are wanting the European plan.... or if you do, pack some utensils, a pan fo...
19 Thank girlysummer
Midland, Canada
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My son and I went there last year in January 2012. The resort was immaculately clean, service was great and the food was spectacular. All the staff were extremely polite, gracious and friendly. My son loved it as well as there was lots for him to do. He was 12. We met lots of other families to have fun with. The pools are beautiful and we enjoyed swimmiing in the ocean. We loved this resort so much we are going back Feb 5th 2013 and bringing a friend along too. We are counting down the "sleeps" and hope to see some familiar staff again!! Also, I highly recommend taking one of the snorkeling tours in the cenotes!! Wow what an experience.

Room Tip: we didn't have any requests and our room was great
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank travelbug0423
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
As General Manager of the Azul Fives, I would personally like to thank you for your amazing review.

We pride ourselves on providing all of our customesr with the full Gourmet Inclusive experience and it is always good to have feedback as positive as yours.

It won't be long now until you return to us for your next stay. I look forward to seeing you and your Son again soon and meeting your friend.

Longueuil, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We just got back last night from a week at Azul Fives. It was exactly what we needed and what we were looking for and more! There were three of us. My husband and I and my mother-in-law. We had booked a 1-bedroom suite with a pool view. The accomodations were as we had expected. Very clean and a lot of space. It is a small resort, very family-oriented. Extremely professional and welcoming staff. You know they will do all they can to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Although we were told the resort was full, we never felt crowded anywhere, whether at the various restaurants, at the beach, at the infinity pool or at the quiet pool. Because this is a small resort, everything is close by and if you have a special need or request, just go to the many concierge offices located on different spots on the resort and someone will be there for you.
We left the property for a couple of days for family business in Bacalar and when we got back late on the Tuesday night we had been moved to a penthouse 1-bedroom suite. It was just perfect! My mother-in-law who is 80 years-old could not believe how well we were treated.
The food at the various restaurants was very good as well as the choice of wines. You can tell they pay attention to the freshness of the ingredients and to make the menus interesting. If you only want a snack, the swim-up bars offer a variety of tasty snacks and beverages.
There are daily activities for all as well as evening entertainment.
The 'disapointments' are so few and not so suprising: the water pressure isn't great and we saw some ants in the master bedroom but if you keep the screen door closed it helps.
Overall this was one of our better choices and we will definitely return and try other Karisma resorts.

Room Tip: Walk out suites are great if you have kids. If more than 2 adults, choose a suite.
2 Thank fedbert
I would like to take a moment to thank you for your review relating to the experiences of your recent vacation.

Here at the Azul Fives, we are reknown for our outstanding level of Gourmet Inclusive services and I am thrilled to hear that we met your expectations and all three of you had an excellent time away.

It would be an absolute pleasure to host your next vacation in Mexico, whether it be at the Azul Fives or another Karisma hotel here in Mexico.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Went on vacation with my wife, parents, sister and husband and brother. For most of us, this was our first real trip out of the country, as Canada doesn't really count. We had a three bedroom penthouse suite with a rooftop deck and hot tub. The food was excellent, better in some restaurants, like the Italian and Asian, than others, like Sea Olive's dinner (the lunch was very good) and the beach club restaurant, can't remember the name, but sausage on a pizza meant cut up hot dog. The staff for the most part was very friendly and helpful. Jazmyn, Eddie, and Adon were some of the most accomodating members of the staff. While we had the penthouse with rooftop deck and the view was beautiful, we were hoping to grill out up there, but we would have had to purchase our own meats, as well as utensils in order to do so. So we did not use the rooftop deck as much as we were planning. The facility was wonderful and we had a wonderful time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jakepharmd07
I am very happy that you all had a wonderful stay at the Azul Fives and as your first real vacation, I hope it will be the first of many.

It means alot to us that you wished to share your experiences from your time away and that you will provide us with the opportunity to host your holiday once again.

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This resort is great for family with small children, rooms are nice and big, pools are never busy,no wild partys or loude music.
However, it is very boring for grown ups, there is no lobby where you can sit down for a drink and chit chat with people. Walking thru the resort after dark is like ghost town, you may pass by one or two lost souls.
One very good place is the spa :-) expensive but amazing.
Before booking this resort for your next vacation please do check the reviews, do ask questions, dont want you to be disappointed. We have 4 more days and we are moving to The Royal resort in Playa del Carmen (yes I have to pay for the move)

Room Tip: Get a pool view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Grace S
Grace, thank you very much for your review.

With our Gourmet Inclusive concept, the Azul Fives is designed to appeal to everyone and I am sorry to read that you did not find the hotel suitable for your vacation.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Toronto
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I just got back from a week-long stay with our 3 year old and 8 month old. We had a wonderful, relaxing holiday that was easy with kids without having to compromise on food or "niceness" of the resort. Not only was the food quality excellent for an all-inclusive, it was nice to have no limit on the number of a la carte dining experiences. Food and drink was always readily available poolside and on the beach, and if we needed to eat lunch or dinner on the earlier side to accommodate our kids' naps, the 24-hr room service was a handy option.

One of the biggest advantages of this resort is the rooms. We had a 2-bedroom suite, which was actually a large 1-bedroom suite with two bathrooms, a full kitchen, dining area, and balcony, PLUS a separate deluxe room with two double beds and full washroom. The rooms were not connected on the inside; rather, they shared a secure, common foyer space. The rooms were very clean and nicely decorated.

Another huge plus for us was the baby gear provided--full-size cribs (not just pack 'n plays), baby bath tub/change table, high chair in the room (and always readily available at the restaurants), umbrella stroller, toys for borrowing (in-room and beach/pool toys), baby food in jars or willingness to puree food for the baby at the restaurants. We brought diapers, wipes, a potty and some books for the kids, but no other gear--made for much lighter traveling.

Other pluses: smoothies at the health bar made to order; good quality cardio equipment at the gym; weather was perfect (pleasantly hot; only rained on our last morning there); no mosquitoes (though likely the grounds are sprayed); attempts at high level of customer service (lots of follow-up), but almost to a fault (see below).

We did not use the kids' club, as our kids were under 4, so can't comment on that. Friends' kids seemed to be having a great time there, though.

In terms of what we didn't like, the beach was a bit on the small side, and the water was pretty much unswimmable--big waves and heavy undertows made us anxious with our toddler playing near the surf, so we pretty much hung out at the pools. The service was fairly intrusive at times--despite a "do not disturb" card placed in our room key slot, housekeeping and other staff came right in after knocking briefly. This was not cool with us at all, given our napping babes, and after bringing up the issue with the concierge assigned to our room and with a manager, this did not happen after the 2nd day.

Overall, we were very happy with the resort. In looking for an all-inclusive that was welcoming to families with young children but that still met our standards in terms of food and facilities, we were not disappointed by Azul Fives. We would definitely come back here, only we'd probably want to stay longer than a week next time!

9 Thank F M
As General Manager of the Azul Fives, I would like to personally thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay.

We find it very rewarding to read such positive feedback. Aswell as your positive comments, there have been some negative points mentioned. I would like to assure you that I have taken note of your comments and I hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to host your holiday once again so that you can experience firsthand the improvements that you helped us to achieve.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
#2 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!