I and two other went to Azul Fives in December of 2012. Azul Fives had great facilities and and a fantastic atmosphere, but the experiences we had there left a bad taste in our mouths.
PROS: The facilities were fantastic in comparison to many other resorts along the Maya Riviera. The decor was modern, with marble floors, dark brown wood furniture, glass walls, and plenty of lighting. I cannot emphasize enough the positive influence that the decor had on the atmosphere. The first impression was great.
Poolside and beachside chairs were aplenty. We never spent more than 3 minutes looking for a seat at any of their pools or on the beach. There were also plenty of sporting equipment to be borrowed, including volleyballs, soccer balls, and american footballs, including clean towels. Edgar, (Edouard?) was fantastic at organizing activities on the beach and in the pool.
Somewhat to the benefit of travelers, there is an eclectic mix of liquors available at each of the bars/lounges. These range from low end brands never seen in the US to top shelf liquors. I in particular helped myself to many servings of Pernod.
CONS: Unfortunately, we had to dispute our charges at checkout. The booking was all-inclusive, meaning all food and drink (room service and alcohol) was included. We were also explained at check-in that all telephone calls, local, long distance, and international, are included.
However, they did not explain that this was only the case at their concierge offices and lounges and not from our rooms. We made many calls from our room due to the lack of this explanation because we had to track down delayed baggages and subsequently report stolen merchandise from our baggages (this was not the fault of Azul Fives, but rather American Airlines). At check-out, we were blindsided by a bill of almost $300 USD for the phone calls. After trying to explain that we were misled at check-in, the best they could do was reduce the bill to $230 USD and would not budge after that.
This charge, on top of the terrible plane flight in and losing close to $5000 USD of theft form our luggages was just salt on the wound. I struggle to understand why they would not listen to reason when I explained that the misunderstanding was due to misinformation from their end.
We are not likely to ever go back to the Maya Riviera due to the enormous amount of work and effort we had to put in with luggage claims, charge disputes, etc. (of which only a part was attributable of Azul Fives) while we were supposed to be spending our week relaxing in an all-inclusive resort with nothing else on our minds. It was the antithesis of the "getaway vacation"
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 10 minutes from charming Playa del Carmen, Azul Fives Hotel is noted for enormous suites designed for families and friends with up to three bedrooms with rooftop decks. Activities and special experiences foster togetherness for families, couples and groups of friends. The 360-suite hotel offers the renowned Gourmet Inclusive® concept, as well as flexible meal plan options to suit all agendas. Private barbecues highlight family activities, and the Kid’s Club sponsored by Fisher-Price® caters to children. Rooftop Weddings inspire soon-to-be-married couples. The 24-hour room service and full-service concierge ensure memorable vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Orbitz, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Azul Fives By Karisma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen Riviera Maya, Mexico