“Great facilities compromised by inadequate service and indifferent attitude at times”

Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Ranked #59 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I and two other went to Azul Fives in December of 2012. Azul Fives had great facilities and and a fantastic atmosphere, but the experiences we had there left a bad taste in our mouths.

PROS: The facilities were fantastic in comparison to many other resorts along the Maya Riviera. The decor was modern, with marble floors, dark brown wood furniture, glass walls, and plenty of lighting. I cannot emphasize enough the positive influence that the decor had on the atmosphere. The first impression was great.

Poolside and beachside chairs were aplenty. We never spent more than 3 minutes looking for a seat at any of their pools or on the beach. There were also plenty of sporting equipment to be borrowed, including volleyballs, soccer balls, and american footballs, including clean towels. Edgar, (Edouard?) was fantastic at organizing activities on the beach and in the pool.

Somewhat to the benefit of travelers, there is an eclectic mix of liquors available at each of the bars/lounges. These range from low end brands never seen in the US to top shelf liquors. I in particular helped myself to many servings of Pernod.

CONS: Unfortunately, we had to dispute our charges at checkout. The booking was all-inclusive, meaning all food and drink (room service and alcohol) was included. We were also explained at check-in that all telephone calls, local, long distance, and international, are included.

However, they did not explain that this was only the case at their concierge offices and lounges and not from our rooms. We made many calls from our room due to the lack of this explanation because we had to track down delayed baggages and subsequently report stolen merchandise from our baggages (this was not the fault of Azul Fives, but rather American Airlines). At check-out, we were blindsided by a bill of almost $300 USD for the phone calls. After trying to explain that we were misled at check-in, the best they could do was reduce the bill to $230 USD and would not budge after that.

This charge, on top of the terrible plane flight in and losing close to $5000 USD of theft form our luggages was just salt on the wound. I struggle to understand why they would not listen to reason when I explained that the misunderstanding was due to misinformation from their end.

We are not likely to ever go back to the Maya Riviera due to the enormous amount of work and effort we had to put in with luggage claims, charge disputes, etc. (of which only a part was attributable of Azul Fives) while we were supposed to be spending our week relaxing in an all-inclusive resort with nothing else on our minds. It was the antithesis of the "getaway vacation"

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank mmy223
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences from your stay at the Azul Fives Hotel. It is very rewarding to hear that you enjoyed many of the unique features of the hotel.

I'm disappointed to read that you feel that we fell short on service. I do apologize for any confusion however, like all other all inclusive, telephone calls are not included as one of our benefits. Calls can be made from the Prestige lounge as a gesture for attending their short presentation. I'm sorry that you had such a terrible flight however we were unaware of these experiences.

It saddens me to know that because of such experiences , you have chosen not to return however if you do have a change of heart and choose to return , please do not hesitate to contact me and I will ensure that you receive a level of excellence that is nothing short of perfection.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Rodrigo gets my first comment (as promised to him after he gave such great service). You have to try Rodrigo's health bar at AzulFives. He serves a variety of exotic fruit juices, smoothies and healthy drinks. Rodrigo is simply the BEST and the smoothies are top shelf!

Our family (myself, wife, boy 9 and girl 11) have been fortunate to enjoy several top quality AI resorts in Mexico over the past several years. They are ALL GREAT. Anyone who complains about most AI's have lost perspective especially in the Mayan Riviera where good service is defined. I can't believe it when people complain over seemingly nothing.

Azul Fives took it up a notch! Here's what we LOVED:

-Pool area staff (Bar/ Service). Everyone stood out and I can remember most names (which is rare for me). They were that good - Domingo/ Santiago/ Cesar/ Ramon/ and the others including the ladies.

-Animacion Staff - there was really only one person - Eduardo - who was fantastic. This is a smaller resort and he kept things going with activities etc. Fun guy.

-Kids Club (Azulitos) - terrific facility. My kids have sometimes dismissed a kids club but they LOVED this one - great staff.

-Cold face cloths delivered pool-side (never had that before)

-Snack items (Skewers of fruit, meats and pop-sicles) delivered pool and ocean-side at various times!

-Nice loungers at the pool - cushioned - nicer than some other resorts with basic plastic.

-Evening entertainment exceeded expectations. We've been to resorts with huge production facilities/ Theaters where the entertainment doesn't quite live up to things. Azulfives is opposite. Most of the productions take place in Zkybar which is a beautiful facility but not really what we're used to. It's a bar - not a showplace - so we didn't expect much. However, the acts were tremendously good! You'll never see these acts up as close as you do at AzulFives in such an intimate setting. Pleasantly surprised! Special shout out to Alexander and the rest of the crew up there- terrific hosts at the ZkyBar!

-Check in was quick - no hiccups - pleasant

-Infinity Pool by the ocean was warm just warm enough - refreshing. The view from there is fabulous.

-We spent some afternoons at the Lizards Pool near our Condo #8. It was a bit cooler water but lots of fun and the bar-tending staff was great as well.

-Drinks were all very good - some top shelf liquor is in the house. NEVER much of a wait for drinks!

-The food was excellent. Despite excellent Italian food, terrific deserts, choices of Duck, Lamb, and pretty good steak, my favourite was always the thin crust pizza at the Lizard pool snack bar!

-Beach and water is beautiful. It's the the resort to choose if you want to simply walk out into the water. There is a lot of rock and coral. However, we enjoyed the pools and our beach time was spent by walking the sand which is always great. As many people note, there is a nice area to swim just to the North -exaclty 300 steps.

-Off resort, I recommend a Massage with Shelley who is set up just north of the resort near the Jet Ski rentals. For $25/hour, you won't find a better massage deal.

-My boy did some para-sailing which he loved and is also available near the resort.

-Rooms was very nice. Clearly this place was built for sale as condos and it appears to me that it really hasn't taken off. Karisma runs the place as an AI and does a great job. With the suites, you get a much larger room than you'll find in almost any AI resort. It's Massive!

-Room service was terrific. Housekeeping did not disappoint. Anything we needed (and more) was there.

-I like the fact that food is not allowed near the pools. Very clean resort.

-Dress code was Fabulous - as a guy, I enjoyed not having to wear long pants to dinner.

-It was very easy to get chairs by the pool. Some mornings, we sould set up around 8am and almost every chair was free. To arrive later (say 10AM) would still allow you to get chairs - perhaps down by the sand but still many to choose from.

-complimentary use of sunscreen was really great.

-Selection of magazines, books, etc at the Pool butler was excellent.

-I've never been to a resort where so many of the staff knew me/us by name.

-We were never bugged about timeshares or condo purchase. There were no beach vendors walking around hawking goods. (they were off to the side where you're certainly free to barter if you like)

WISHLIST:
-with so many young kids, it would be great to see a splash pad
-A hot-tub would be an excellent idea.
-Some small prizes for the various contests would be nice - AzulFives Tshirts or something.
-A sports bar (which I hear is in the works as part of Zkybar) - would be great to see the odd Game - NHL or NFL etc.
-As I say, the entertainment at night was excellent but I could envision the need for a more dedicated facility with some better showtime site-lines. However, the resort is small so Zkybar perhaps is all that is needed. We could easily sit in the first few rows so we couldn't get a better site-line than that!
-Small kids often like to be part of a kids show that precedes the main shows. With so many kids, I think this would be a nice touch if the Azulitos Club put something like that together on occasion.
-the ground floor lighting at Zkybar is super HOT - the back of my leg happened to touch it and burned the skin of my leg right off. I'll have a scar for sure but luckily I'm far from model material.

OVERALL - EXCELLENT and while we tend to try different resorts each year, this is one we'd consider going back to. Consider that a guest from the uber-expensive and exclusive Viceroy next door walked by the AzulFives and expressed her envy about our resort and how much fun everyone seemed to be having. She was right. Of all the resorts along that area of the beach, ours seemed to be having the most fun and we were treated like royalty all at a cost that was reasonable.

Great job Azul-Fives!

Room Tip: We liked our building #8 - pool-view - 2nd floor - perfect for us!
11  Thank jaytee44

Many thanks for your review , I'm happy to hear that we were able to surpass your expectations , providing you with a Excellent holiday. I will pass on your comments to Rodrigo , who is our smoothie super star here at the Azul Fives Hotel.

I enjoy reading all reviews and take note of all our guests comments and suggestions. I would like you to know that your review was insightful and I will be carefully considering all that is on your wish list.

I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Just returned from a week at the Azul Five. We're a family of four. My husband and I and two kids (5 and 2 years old). Overall, I liked the Azuls. It had everything we needed and somethings were absolutely fabulous. I don't get some of the reviews that trash this place. Either these are people who got really unlucky or expect way too much.
What I liked about Azul Fives:

- Rooms - magnificent - we had a one bedroom walkout and it was huge, beautifully furnished and amazing decor.
- Azulitos - unbelievable kids programs - the centre was cleaner than some kids places at home and they did a wonderful assortment of programs
- Cleanliness - they take an obvious pride in keeping the resort clean
- Friendliness - the staff are warm and hospitable, they understand that their job is to make visitors feel welcome and that they must do everything to keep them happy (Luis at the Palmas bar is a sweetheart)

What I didn't like:
- Property Layout - nothing is central on the resort - every restaurant is at one end or the other - while it's not a huge property (which is great) it can be a challenge with two little kids to get where you're going
- Unheated pool - if you go swimming before noon - it is frightingly cold - I like something refreshing, but not something that shocks your system
- Dinner Buffet - I thought it was subpar- I've been to many resorts and this was nothing great at all (that being said, breakfast is good)

Overall, I thought Azul Fives was good. I would recommend it to others, but I think I would give another resort a try before I thought about returning again.

7  Thank Lorna148

Thank you for your recent review and as general Manager , I appreciate all the feedback from guests. Your comments will be used constructively as part of our quest to be the Best Family friendly hotel within the Riviera Maya.

Unfortunately the layout of the resort can not be changed ; our resort was carefully designed and thought thorough. The hotel has a very functional layout , we have 1 restaurant and 2 gourmet corners placed closed to the rooms with the remaining 4 restarants lining the shoreline and our very popular infinity pool.

During the end of 2012 we did experience several cold fronts that pushed down from the US , causing the nighttime temperature to drop lower than usualy , which in turn affected the water temperature of our swimming pools. We are looking into heating options so that we are prepared for such weather in the future.

Again Many thanks for your comments

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We have been to Mexico over 10 times and this was our kid's (11 and 9) 7th time. We traveled for 10 nights in December. We are not extremely picky- we got out of the cold, no laundry,cooking or dishes to do. We enjoyed our family vacation like everyone should.

Sure there are things like lighting in the bathroom could be brighter, the beach was rocky etc. but we paid to get away from our normal lives and get pampered and we did just that! I can't seem to complain about little things as everyone's tastes are so different.

We didn't get sick-the food was amazing and the service in the Restaurants were very good. The service at the pool bars, bars and poolside service was the best we ever had. We really enjoyed speaking with and learning a bit about everyone who served us. The kids club was great and our kids wanted to go there at least once a day. Most of the resorts we have been to our kids never wanted to even try to go to. We never pushed our kids to go, they asked us if they could go!

We rely on Trip Advisor for our trips, if you have any questions please ask. I can truly say if you have kids, they will love it. If you are extremely picky no trip will satisfy you. As for us we loved it and hope you do too!

Room Tip: We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite on the second floor in villa 8. We were very close to the Lizards po...
2  Thank sue_1007
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Our overall experience at Azul Fives was just average which is why I am rating it a 3 star. We have been to Mexico 8 other times at all inclusive resorts, so I feel that I have a good sense of what they should be like when rated a 4-5 star place. This just isn't it.

For background, we have two girls, ages 10 and 7, and also traveled with 26 other family members for my grandfather's 90th birthday.

Let me start with the plus side of things:

1) The rooms are beautiful and very spacious. We stayed in a one bedroom suite overlooking the Palmas pool on the second floor. My recommendation is to get a first floor suite though as you can literally walk off your balcony to the pool (see one negative below though).

2) The breakfast buffet was awesome. The omelet station was my favorite. We never had a bad meal there and there is such variety to choose from, there is something there for everyone.

3) The grounds are beautiful and well manicured, as well as very clean. It is a very tropical setting.

4) We hung out at Lizards pool every day (see why in the negatives below) and the swim up bar service from Emilio and Moises was simply fantastic. They made the trip for us. We also ate at the cafe there for lunch and we always received great service from the staff and the food was always good.

5) The spa was 5 star. I showed up one hour before my appointment to use the whirlpool (both hot and cold), steam room and sauna. Very helpful and pleasant staff. Both my husband and I got a standard 50 minute massage and it was just perfect - very relaxing. I had Angelica and he had Olivia, so I would recommend either of them. Just a point - they include a 10% tip automatically when you check out.

6) Dinner at the Italian restaurant was our favorite. The food was delicious and the service was equally as good.

7) There are a family of spider monkeys that live in the resort. The girls loved them and we had to go see them every day. That was a nice treat and nothing we have seen at the other resorts we have been to.

8) If you are a runner - there is a nice .6 mile loop around the inside of the resort. Take lots of water with you though because it is hot out there, but very beautiful.

Now things on the negative side:

1) The Sea Olive and Japanese restaurants were horrible. The service was bad and the food was even worse. That forced us to go to the Buffet more than we wanted too and the food at dinner was very hit and miss. At a resort rated this high, I expected a lot more of the food and was just overall disappointed. Breakfast was the only consistent meal.

2) Women - be very careful with what you pack. Their dress code at the restuarants is very strict compared to all the other resorts we have been to. Women must wear skirts or dresses to dinner which is just dumb in my opinion. And, it is not consistenly enforced - someone from my party was asked to go back and change because they had a tank top on, but then someone with workout clothes or a swim coverup doubling as a dress was allowed in - at the buffet, not even one of the "nicer" restaurants. I am fine with rules, but they should be consistenly enforced.

3) The beach and water is beautiful but you can't get in the water because there are several feet of rocks/coral that lay in the water and block your ability to get in. I was so very disappointed with this because the hotel is not upfront about it.

4) The inifinity pool which overlooks the ocean is a joke - it is SO small and there are only about 30 lounge chairs around the pool which is nothing for such a large resort. We were never able to find a seat which again is just disappointing especially because you can't get into the ocean. This forced us to go to one of the other pools far away from the beach. But, Lizards pool was great, so it wasn't all bad. But, if you are looking to use the infinity pool, you better get up and out there early to get a seat.

5) You have to be very careful when you are walking around this resort. The surfaces are VERY slippery The tile surface on the balconies is just plain dangerous. We had three members of our party slip and get bruises, and we were there when an older gentlemen was taken away on a stretcher and shattered his knee. Management really needs to address this.

6) Our room was only cleaned 2 of the 7 days we were there and we were out each day from 10 am to 5 pm. I find this completely unacceptable and complained every time we can back to our room and they did nothing about it. On one of the days where our room was actually cleaned, they took the sheets and blankets from the pull out bed and didn't replace them. So when we got back from the nighly show at 10:30 pm to put the kids to bed, we had no sheets or blankets for them and had to wait another 30 minutes from some to be brought to the room.

7) The card system that gets you into the restaurants and the swim bars is inconvenient. They give you two cards with your families picture on it and two room cards without your picture for the kids. BUT, they expect the kids to have picture cards. How does that work when they only give you two? I would much rather prefer wearing a wrist guard. Management needs to figure this out.

8) There were several people in our party that had first floor suites. The cleaning staff left the sliding doors unlocked on several occassions which is just not acceptable. Complaints were made every time, but it still occurred. Management needs to address this because it is a security hazard.

Unfortunately, I would not go back to this resort. It is too bad because it is a very beautiful place, but I think overall the service isn't great and management is lacking too.

Room Tip: First floor suite - overlooking either the Palmas or Lizard pool.
8  Thank blondiemurc

Thank you for your very detailed review of your visit to the Azul Fives Hotel. I can see there were many aspects of your stay that you found enjoyable such as your dining experiences at Arezzo , the local wildlife who call the hotel their home , the SPA and our Gourmet corner, lizards. I will pass your praise on to both Emilio and Moises.

It is disappointing to know that you felt that we could have done more especially with our cleaning services, various dining experiences and our dress code. I would like you to know that ladies can wear long pants , skirts and capri pants . I am truly very sorry if you found inconsistencies with our casual elegant dress code and I have spoken with our Head of Food and Beverage.

I would like you to know that I have carefully considered each comment , suggestion and reccomendation and can assure you that I will be taking the appropriate action.

Once again , thank you for your feedback and I hope you will return so I can show you first hand the improvements that you have helped us to achieve.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I love reading reviews, especially reading the bad reviews after I was at a place I thought was top notch. The food at this place was amazing, except I wasn't too fond of the outdoor restaurant by the beach. Otherwise I was delighted with the food. I kind of laugh when people write things like "frozen food reheated", because there was no way that was the case. Sure, maybe for the shellfish, but try to find fresh stuff and not get sick.

The rooms were immaculate, and our kids stayed in their own room at night and loved it. Clean, safe. In fact, we live in Canada, and I can't think of another place that I have felt safer than this resort, even comparing to home.

The beach has its drawbacks, but this is a new resort so you cannot expect the beach to be cleaned of rock and corral that early. There are legal and environmental issues with moving environmental object from the sea and this takes time.

Overall, the best place that we have been in the Carribean, maybe anywhere. Highly recommend.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Bradley S
Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel appears rather modern. It is primarily a timeshare (my opinion). Spent a wonderful week here in December 2012 with daughter and grandchildren. Dining was an enjoyable experience in all their different restaurants. My favorite was the pan-Asian "Tsuki". Vietnamese and Thai dishes were superb!

Staff was extremely well-trained and delightful to work with.

The beach was rocky (coral) and beach swimming could be found a short walk down the beach.

Multiple pools with main pool being an infinity pool just off the beach. Swim-up bars abound. The all inclusive gourmet approach should be used.

Rooms are HUGE and comfortable. Bedroom for us was too cold and I could not control it. Had to turn off the AC in bedroom. We found no good reason to need to leave the property.

A really nice benefit: A troop of Spider Monkeys lived in the forest nearby and could frequently be spotted during our visit.

Room Tip: There are no beach view rooms as far as I could tell. There are some poolside rooms which would be p...
4  Thank davemabe
Petit Lafitte
Petit Lafitte
#7 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 212 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!