The Fives Azul Beach Resort Playa Del Carmen
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Viceroy Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Cocos Cabanas(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Le Reve Hotel & Spa(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
Petit Lafitte(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Ocean Riviera Paradise(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
7,831 results
All reviewsgin barla brasserieinfinity pooloka sushiflavours restaurantessence sectionbedroom sky suitesea oliveprestige memberspool butlersthe cantinaspider monkeysroom servicekids clubgourmet inclusivefull kitchenpoolside grill
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We have been to Mexico over 10 times and this was our kid's (11 and 9) 7th time. We traveled for 10 nights in December. We are not extremely picky- we got out of the cold, no laundry,cooking or dishes to do. We enjoyed our family vacation like everyone should.

Sure there are things like lighting in the bathroom could be brighter, the beach was rocky etc. but we paid to get away from our normal lives and get pampered and we did just that! I can't seem to complain about little things as everyone's tastes are so different.

We didn't get sick-the food was amazing and the service in the Restaurants were very good. The service at the pool bars, bars and poolside service was the best we ever had. We really enjoyed speaking with and learning a bit about everyone who served us. The kids club was great and our kids wanted to go there at least once a day. Most of the resorts we have been to our kids never wanted to even try to go to. We never pushed our kids to go, they asked us if they could go!

We rely on Trip Advisor for our trips, if you have any questions please ask. I can truly say if you have kids, they will love it. If you are extremely picky no trip will satisfy you. As for us we loved it and hope you do too!

Room Tip: We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite on the second floor in villa 8. We were very close to the Lizards pool and restaurant.
2  Thank sue_1007
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Our overall experience at Azul Fives was just average which is why I am rating it a 3 star. We have been to Mexico 8 other times at all inclusive resorts, so I feel that I have a good sense of what they should be like when rated a 4-5 star place. This just isn't it.

For background, we have two girls, ages 10 and 7, and also traveled with 26 other family members for my grandfather's 90th birthday.

Let me start with the plus side of things:

1) The rooms are beautiful and very spacious. We stayed in a one bedroom suite overlooking the Palmas pool on the second floor. My recommendation is to get a first floor suite though as you can literally walk off your balcony to the pool (see one negative below though).

2) The breakfast buffet was awesome. The omelet station was my favorite. We never had a bad meal there and there is such variety to choose from, there is something there for everyone.

3) The grounds are beautiful and well manicured, as well as very clean. It is a very tropical setting.

4) We hung out at Lizards pool every day (see why in the negatives below) and the swim up bar service from Emilio and Moises was simply fantastic. They made the trip for us. We also ate at the cafe there for lunch and we always received great service from the staff and the food was always good.

5) The spa was 5 star. I showed up one hour before my appointment to use the whirlpool (both hot and cold), steam room and sauna. Very helpful and pleasant staff. Both my husband and I got a standard 50 minute massage and it was just perfect - very relaxing. I had Angelica and he had Olivia, so I would recommend either of them. Just a point - they include a 10% tip automatically when you check out.

6) Dinner at the Italian restaurant was our favorite. The food was delicious and the service was equally as good.

7) There are a family of spider monkeys that live in the resort. The girls loved them and we had to go see them every day. That was a nice treat and nothing we have seen at the other resorts we have been to.

8) If you are a runner - there is a nice .6 mile loop around the inside of the resort. Take lots of water with you though because it is hot out there, but very beautiful.

Now things on the negative side:

1) The Sea Olive and Japanese restaurants were horrible. The service was bad and the food was even worse. That forced us to go to the Buffet more than we wanted too and the food at dinner was very hit and miss. At a resort rated this high, I expected a lot more of the food and was just overall disappointed. Breakfast was the only consistent meal.

2) Women - be very careful with what you pack. Their dress code at the restuarants is very strict compared to all the other resorts we have been to. Women must wear skirts or dresses to dinner which is just dumb in my opinion. And, it is not consistenly enforced - someone from my party was asked to go back and change because they had a tank top on, but then someone with workout clothes or a swim coverup doubling as a dress was allowed in - at the buffet, not even one of the "nicer" restaurants. I am fine with rules, but they should be consistenly enforced.

3) The beach and water is beautiful but you can't get in the water because there are several feet of rocks/coral that lay in the water and block your ability to get in. I was so very disappointed with this because the hotel is not upfront about it.

4) The inifinity pool which overlooks the ocean is a joke - it is SO small and there are only about 30 lounge chairs around the pool which is nothing for such a large resort. We were never able to find a seat which again is just disappointing especially because you can't get into the ocean. This forced us to go to one of the other pools far away from the beach. But, Lizards pool was great, so it wasn't all bad. But, if you are looking to use the infinity pool, you better get up and out there early to get a seat.

5) You have to be very careful when you are walking around this resort. The surfaces are VERY slippery The tile surface on the balconies is just plain dangerous. We had three members of our party slip and get bruises, and we were there when an older gentlemen was taken away on a stretcher and shattered his knee. Management really needs to address this.

6) Our room was only cleaned 2 of the 7 days we were there and we were out each day from 10 am to 5 pm. I find this completely unacceptable and complained every time we can back to our room and they did nothing about it. On one of the days where our room was actually cleaned, they took the sheets and blankets from the pull out bed and didn't replace them. So when we got back from the nighly show at 10:30 pm to put the kids to bed, we had no sheets or blankets for them and had to wait another 30 minutes from some to be brought to the room.

7) The card system that gets you into the restaurants and the swim bars is inconvenient. They give you two cards with your families picture on it and two room cards without your picture for the kids. BUT, they expect the kids to have picture cards. How does that work when they only give you two? I would much rather prefer wearing a wrist guard. Management needs to figure this out.

8) There were several people in our party that had first floor suites. The cleaning staff left the sliding doors unlocked on several occassions which is just not acceptable. Complaints were made every time, but it still occurred. Management needs to address this because it is a security hazard.

Unfortunately, I would not go back to this resort. It is too bad because it is a very beautiful place, but I think overall the service isn't great and management is lacking too.

Room Tip: First floor suite - overlooking either the Palmas or Lizard pool.
8  Thank blondiemurc
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at The Fives Azul Beach Resort Playa Del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you for your very detailed review of your visit to the Azul Fives Hotel. I can see there were many aspects of your stay that you found enjoyable such as your dining experiences at Arezzo , the local wildlife who call the hotel their home , the SPA and our Gourmet corner, lizards. I will pass your praise on to both Emilio and Moises.

It is disappointing to know that you felt that we could have done more especially with our cleaning services, various dining experiences and our dress code. I would like you to know that ladies can wear long pants , skirts and capri pants . I am truly very sorry if you found inconsistencies with our casual elegant dress code and I have spoken with our Head of Food and Beverage.

I would like you to know that I have carefully considered each comment , suggestion and reccomendation and can assure you that I will be taking the appropriate action.

Once again , thank you for your feedback and I hope you will return so I can show you first hand the improvements that you have helped us to achieve.

Mario Mathieu
gm@azulfiveshotel.com

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I love reading reviews, especially reading the bad reviews after I was at a place I thought was top notch. The food at this place was amazing, except I wasn't too fond of the outdoor restaurant by the beach. Otherwise I was delighted with the food. I kind of laugh when people write things like "frozen food reheated", because there was no way that was the case. Sure, maybe for the shellfish, but try to find fresh stuff and not get sick.

The rooms were immaculate, and our kids stayed in their own room at night and loved it. Clean, safe. In fact, we live in Canada, and I can't think of another place that I have felt safer than this resort, even comparing to home.

The beach has its drawbacks, but this is a new resort so you cannot expect the beach to be cleaned of rock and corral that early. There are legal and environmental issues with moving environmental object from the sea and this takes time.

Overall, the best place that we have been in the Carribean, maybe anywhere. Highly recommend.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Bradley S
Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel appears rather modern. It is primarily a timeshare (my opinion). Spent a wonderful week here in December 2012 with daughter and grandchildren. Dining was an enjoyable experience in all their different restaurants. My favorite was the pan-Asian "Tsuki". Vietnamese and Thai dishes were superb!

Staff was extremely well-trained and delightful to work with.

The beach was rocky (coral) and beach swimming could be found a short walk down the beach.

Multiple pools with main pool being an infinity pool just off the beach. Swim-up bars abound. The all inclusive gourmet approach should be used.

Rooms are HUGE and comfortable. Bedroom for us was too cold and I could not control it. Had to turn off the AC in bedroom. We found no good reason to need to leave the property.

A really nice benefit: A troop of Spider Monkeys lived in the forest nearby and could frequently be spotted during our visit.

Room Tip: There are no beach view rooms as far as I could tell. There are some poolside rooms which would be preferable; but, non-pool view rooms might be more quiet.
4  Thank davemabe
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I am bouncing back and forth between a 4 and a 5 rating for Azul Fives, in the end I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and shaded towards the 5. There were flaws, not bad ones but not perfection.
What didn't I think was perfect? Not enough light in the room too dark and shadowy for shaving or my wife's make up. Double sinks were nice but could have made the sinks a little smaller and give me a little more space for my stuff. No place to hang towels etc. they say they want you to be green and reuse the towels and then they don't give you a place to hang the towel or your wet swim suit. Beach itself was small but nice, ocean there is rocky and not suitable for swimming.
What did I love? The cheerfulness of the place, I almost got tired of saying Hola to smiling staff. They were wonderful. The cleanliness, they are always cleaning, sweeping, pruning the place was immaculate. The food, I'm a tough critic here and I do not know where the people who criticize the food ate...not where I did. The food ran from Flavors (the place with the buffet) which was a solid 4 to Sea Olive (Mediterranean), Tsuki (Pac Rim) and Arezza (Italian) all bordering on 5. Wonderful fresh food, good selection. The bars had bar food/ lighter fare. They were great as well. The drinks were good with top shelf liquor. The Health Bar, I loved it, it you go please stop in and say hello to Rodrigo at the Health Bar. He made a large variety of healthy juices and smoothies (which I had in between the less healthy options at the regular bars) they were delicious and made me feel like I hadn't fallen off the wagon completely. The concierges were wonderful, I mentioned a few minor glitches earlier, well they were on the case immediately to take care of the issue and assure that we were happy. If you have an issue, don't endure, bring it up they will do all they can to fix it.
It was a great vacation we certainly will consider going back and I give Azul Fives the JLo seal of approval.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple